Stihl MS 880 Magnum

TrattyBrassall

The next best thing to the Stihl 090

Date PurchasedSep 2018
    Tratty

If you need a chainsaw for really big logs this is the one for you.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Apposlutly brilliant!The monster of all saws...

I bought my 880 brand new about 3 months ago and with out a doubt its one of the best tools I've ever bought... its really easy to start and has so much power it brings a smile to your face in the tuffest conditions. Eg: will drive a 42inch skiptooth chain though rock hard dry timber of that size or bigger almost as easy a my ms381 cuts green two foot rounds ;)... I also use the 880 for milling and with a ripping chain I can easily cut about 9-12 foot a minute green and about 6-9 foot a min in dry... to sum up if you want a good fallers saw for mobility and power up to 25inch get a ms381 pro if your looking to cut bigger or mill get a ms 880 magnum its only 3 kgs heavyer then the 381 with almost twice the power!

Will koenigKevington

Does exactly what it's meant to do!!

SawchainAU

Good

Very unreliable

Brooklyn H

Brooklyn Hasked

Would you run a 22" bar off a 088ms for speed cutting through a 30-40cm radiata pine?

Sawchain

Bars from 17" to 84" can be used on a MS880, I do run 21" on one of mine.

Will koenig

I run a 25” for smaller rounds but always on hard fwood, a 460 or 660 would cut just as fast with a 21”bar, would be overkill but can be done easily

David M.
    David M.

I’ve had MS880mag for 4 years. It’s been a real let down. Spend lots on it and it’s just always being fixed. It’s gutless can be hard to start seams to need tuning often. Compared to my 090 it’s a toy.
    The 090 makes 3 cuts while ms880 won’t complete 2 cuts.
    It nice to use when it’s working properly . I can see me ever getting an other MS880.

shan

shanasked

what is the fuel consumption?

Tratty

Off the top of my head I think you would use about a tank an hour, you cannot expect great fuel consumption with a saw of this size.
    I'll restate how much fuel it uses, slabbing blue gum and ironbark with a 50 inch bar I would say 20 minutes to half an hour even that could be an over statement, but running out of fuel is a welcome rest.

Kevin

Kevinasked

What was the retail price of a magnum 880 chainsaw back in 2013? What model would be the equivalent chainsaw today in price and performance?

Will koenig

With cash back, from memory it cost around $2600, they still make the ms880 and from what I've read they haven't changed the design, if you're not after a huge saw, the MS 660 or 661 I think it's called now is an extremely capable saw and more practical, will easily run larger bars also

Sawchain

I think the retail was around $2700, there is nothing else that compares to the MS880 which had a major upgrade in 2011, there really is not any other equivalent to the 880 except the Husqvarna 3120 119cc which is a very old design and and does not perform as well as the Stihl, also I have run bars to 72" on the 880 with the appropriate chain and no problems. If you are cutting commercially as I do time is money, and the 880 cuts at double the speed of a 660 or 395XP.

michael
    michael

I fell for the biggest cable logger in the southern hemisphere. I regularly encountered trees 14 ft through. My saw would use 12 litres of fuel a day, and I would not walk it out of the cable slope. It stayed there for months till the slope was finished. My saw of choice was a 3120 xp. And had used the ms880 with upgraded "looks", which is still a relatively old saw. LOL! It does not run the extra lube that the 3120xp does, and honestly struggles to keep bar tips lubed beyond a 28" bar. It Revs however. And if you want hp falling pine plantation it can more than match the 3120, but parts are 5 x dearer! The 3120 achieves its power through torque, and when the going gets tough, it is governed about 2000 rpm lower than the stihl so it lugs heavy and won't fly to bits. But don't ever run stihl chain on a 3120xp, it will pull the eyes clean out of the drive links. Stihl 404 chain has a much smaller pin through the chain and simply can't handle the torque of a 3120xp. And if you want any further evidence, watch any YouTube competition. The ms880 is at least 2 seconds behind the 3120xp in any given cut. The only other major difference between these 2 saws is one uses rubber engine isolators and one uses springs. The rubber will eventually go soft and need replacing, the springs will not. The both use Walbro carburettors, so any argument on which starts better is null and void.

Get an answer from our members and Stihl representatives