Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press GC7800 / GC7850B

3.6

Nick A.

Nick A.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Poor Product & Sunbeam know it

Top plate won't stay flat and leads to uneven cooking
Side hinge a bit of a joke and not sure how Sunbeam ever thought anything else about it
Teflon coating lasts maybe 3 years at best
Keeps blowing electrical fuse
Heavy lid
Contact/sandwich press function useless
Hard to clean top lid
Lasted 3 years before it blew the fuse 4 times everytime it got used.
I now consider it a dangerous product.
Going out to buy another brand this week.

Purchased in May 2017 at Harvey Norman for A$69.00.

David B

David BSydney, NSW

My favorite kitchen appliance - don't know how I lived without it!

Great quality sandwich press and contact grill. As a sandwich press you will fit 6 toasties in here at once. The great thing about this grill is that it can be used as an electric frypan and broiler. The ability to distance the top place makes it great for open grills.

The variable heat setting makes its suitable for cooking a huge range of foods, I use it to roast vegetables and have a beautiful char effect, cook meats, cook pizzas, and of course make toasties. You can make an entire bacon and egg breakfast and toast on this machine. So versatile.

Purchased in January 2011 for A$150.00.

The hinge is not secure

The hinge screws came loose after few uses and now one of them is lost. We tried contact the Sunbeam center and they couldn't provide any replacement part not the service center. We can't use the grill now as it is too dangerous as the top grill plate will fall when it is hot and burnt our hand! Probably won't buy the product again.

Customer CareSunbeam

Hello Skye,
If the screw got loose with no fault on your end (you did not unscrew it yourself) then you can replace that unit at your retailer.

Grills

Find out how Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press GC7800 / GC7850B compares to other Grills

drew76

drew76Perth, WA

Still going strong! A Master of Toasties!

Customer CareSunbeam

Hello drew76,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and great review of the Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press GC7800. We're happy to hear you're loving it!

Sahil Vig

Sahil VigGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great Product

I use my sandwich press nearly everyday for my lunch, it grills chicken very well too. One of the trusted brands, it never let's you down. The added feature like thermostat to control temperature would have been awesome, hope Sunbeam can look into it and add this feature in their new models.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great product cook's just about anything

This is a very good product but it needs a thermostat to control temperature as it gust burns things so i must keep on turn it off at the power point can we get a new model soon with a temperature control it even cook's fish and chips stake and onions

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Trevor, Thanks for the great review !

J-Man

J-ManSydney

Wow this is amazing.

This griller does exactly what it says. Made grilled chicken breasts only took 10min. Chicken was moist and tender only minimal juices lost. Cleaning was easy too there is no mess all over the place like other reviewers said.
Made a toasted sandwich in a few min it was hot and cheese melted quick.
%100 worth every $$$$
Highly reccomend.
Bought at bing lee using after pay $18 a fortnight is a bargain.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great review J-Man! That toastie sounds delish!!

Danni N

Danni NMelbourne

Life saver

This machine is the magic of all machines. My toastys and flat bread comes out crispy and crunchy while my cheese is melted to perfection. It has settings and can adjust to your liking. It’s quick to heat up and very easy to clean away with paper towel. Kids love this machine!

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the great feedback Danni!

Speed84

Speed84Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great for the whole family

This is my second sunbeam grill. My first one lasted a good 8 years with use at least 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day.
It is a great size, big enough to cook a steak or toasted sandwich for the whole family.
Easy to clean, removable drip tray for easy fat disposal and it looks stylish. Hoping I get another 8 years out of this one!

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hey Speed, thanks for the great review, this one has been on the market for many years and is a little gem!!!

thekilahwife

thekilahwifeHelidon

Perfect for a large family!

There are 5 people in our family and 80% of the time we usually have guests, so when it comes time for a cheap quick meal (toasted sandwiches) we usually get out our Sunbeam Cafe Contact Grill & Sandwich Press! It fits four whole toasters at one time! Perfectly golden bread and so easy to clean! We love it! I would recommend this grill to anyone with a larger family or just someone who loves loads of toasties! (Ps. I’m sure it’s a great grill too but we are yet to bother with that, the toasties are too good)

Date PurchasedApr 2018

MELMelbourne

Indicator Covers fall off - third time

Grill works OK but the plastic indicator covers fall off as already mentioned in other reviews. Disappointing response from Sunbeam even though the unit is well out of warranty this is the 3rd time this has happended. Obviously it is a fault that has happened to others too. I will not use it now as I feel the unit is unsafe with a gaping hole in the top. It also took Sunbeam 4 weeks to respond to my concerns with two prompts from me - not good enough.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Rinna

RinnaSA, 5114

Great performance, terrible design.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Matt M.

Matt M.Perth

Excellent all purpose cooker.

Steaks, 2.5 minutes on high! Get that lovely grill pattern too.
Chicken tenders with nandos sauce, 2 minutes, re-baste, flip and let it sit for 30 seconds!
Cheese toasties, depends on how much of that golden lovely goodness you stacked in the bad boy!?

This little grill is awesome, I hardly use the pan anymore, because it can do most cooking jobs and it's non stick, so cleaning is easy.
Highly recommended to friends already.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Lynda

LyndaCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Awesome machine

This replaced my George Forman Grill and is so much better. Has a slide out drip tray so you catch all the fat and it is easy to clean. Heats up quickly, great size, bottom flat, top has ridges . I use it for sausages, hamburger patties, chicken kebabs etc.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Len

LenPort Broughton

Excellent product

Have been using the GC7800 for about 18years.
the only change is that the old grill doesn't seem to sizzle like it used to but still has its non-stick surface intact.
So passed it on to kids in flat.
Just purchased the new GC7850B and it looks beautifully designed.
Looking forward to another 18+ years of use with this one.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Dave

Dave

Like others, best thing ever until it was not

Love it to bits and use it several times a wee and recently had noticed non stick was not as good as usual.
Today I noticed a slab of teflon missing, obviously eaten and sections of the plate bubbling.
Of course it is just outside of 12 mth warranty period.

Brendan K.Sunbeam
Pezones El Grande

Pezones El GrandeHobart, Tasmania

Great while it lasted

JosieJo2000

JosieJo2000Perth, WA

Need a new one every year

The grill is great when it works, like a lot of Sunbeam products. We use our for toasted sandwiches and grilling meat. It heats up fast and is quite easy to clean. BUT, we are on our third one. Just after the product it out of warranty the coating starts to come off which makes it inefficient and I would guess unhealthy. Food starts to stick and you can no longer clean it. The reason we keep buying it is that we can usually find one on special for less than $80 but it shouldn't be a disposable item. We've also had problems with a Sunbeam water filter / chiller (just over 12 months and it dies) and the icemaker (had to have several replaced under warranty). Sunbeam just don't make products that last.

Was great while it worked.

Was fantastic while it worked. After fourteen months electric wiring burnt out. Obviously just out of warranty. Emailed Sunbeam. . They never bothered to reply.
Great in every way.
Poor follow up service. Should not burn wiring out after 14 months.

Sam4141
Sam4141

Had the same issue.

flutterbyes

flutterbyesNSW, 2213

We have both this and a family George Foreman. I tend to use the George for Meats and this more for Sandwiches and Veggies and the odd piece of chicken or fish but it is perfectly suited to doing all. Love the flat bottom plate which is a breeze to clean and the drip tray for catching the excess fat off while cooking.
Perfect for Grilling Meats, Veggies and even toasted Sandwiches. Has two setting one for Sandwiches and one for the other stuff. Easy to clean. Swivel top plate allows movement for thicker cuts of meats and thicker foccacia sandwiches.
There is nothing i dislike about the Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press.