Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press GC7800 / GC7850B

Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press GC7800 / GC7850B

GC7850B and GC7800

Great Product

I use my sandwich press nearly everyday for my lunch, it grills chicken very well too. One of the trusted brands, it never let's you down. The added feature like thermostat to control temperature would have been awesome, hope Sunbeam can look into it and add this feature in their new models.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great product cook's just about anything

This is a very good product but it needs a thermostat to control temperature as it gust burns things so i must keep on turn it off at the power point can we get a new model soon with a temperature control it even cook's fish and chips stake and onions

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi Trevor, Thanks for the great review !

Wow this is amazing.

This griller does exactly what it says. Made grilled chicken breasts only took 10min. Chicken was moist and tender only minimal juices lost. Cleaning was easy too there is no mess all over the place like other reviewers said.
Made a toasted sandwich in a few min it was hot and cheese melted quick.
%100 worth every $$$$
Highly reccomend.
Bought at bing lee using after pay $18 a fortnight is a bargain.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Thanks for the great review J-Man! That toastie sounds delish!!

Life saver

This machine is the magic of all machines. My toastys and flat bread comes out crispy and crunchy while my cheese is melted to perfection. It has settings and can adjust to your liking. It’s quick to heat up and very easy to clean away with paper towel. Kids love this machine!

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Thanks for the great feedback Danni!

Great for the whole family

This is my second sunbeam grill. My first one lasted a good 8 years with use at least 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day.
It is a great size, big enough to cook a steak or toasted sandwich for the whole family.
Easy to clean, removable drip tray for easy fat disposal and it looks stylish. Hoping I get another 8 years out of this one!

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hey Speed, thanks for the great review, this one has been on the market for many years and is a little gem!!!

Perfect for a large family!

There are 5 people in our family and 80% of the time we usually have guests, so when it comes time for a cheap quick meal (toasted sandwiches) we usually get out our Sunbeam Cafe Contact Grill & Sandwich Press! It fits four whole toasters at one time! Perfectly golden bread and so easy to clean! We love it! I would recommend this grill to anyone with a larger family or just someone who loves loads of toasties! (Ps. I’m sure it’s a great grill too but we are yet to bother with that, the toasties are too good)

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Indicator Covers fall off - third time

Grill works OK but the plastic indicator covers fall off as already mentioned in other reviews. Disappointing response from Sunbeam even though the unit is well out of warranty this is the 3rd time this has happended. Obviously it is a fault that has happened to others too. I will not use it now as I feel the unit is unsafe with a gaping hole in the top. It also took Sunbeam 4 weeks to respond to my concerns with two prompts from me - not good enough.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great performance, terrible design.

In the beginning I was in love! It's my first grill. I cook everything on it, I use it multiple times daily for many different things. I have no qualms with the cooking performance of this product.
After a week or so I began to notice the mess. There's a drip tray at the front for fat, which is fantastic. But when you open the grill during cooking or after cooking, all the fats and juices that are sitting on the top grill plate just drip straight off the plate, down behind the machine. Even when the machine is fully open, it doesn't drip onto the bottom plate, it drips behind the machine, onto the machine and onto the bench.
Poorly designed and has ruined my love for it to be honest. Clean up is a pain in the bum, there is forever fat covering my bench and machine. It wouldn't take much to include a lip along the back of the top plate so it all drips back onto the plates instead.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Excellent all purpose cooker.

Steaks, 2.5 minutes on high! Get that lovely grill pattern too.
Chicken tenders with nandos sauce, 2 minutes, re-baste, flip and let it sit for 30 seconds!
Cheese toasties, depends on how much of that golden lovely goodness you stacked in the bad boy!?

This little grill is awesome, I hardly use the pan anymore, because it can do most cooking jobs and it's non stick, so cleaning is easy.
Highly recommended to friends already.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Awesome machine

This replaced my George Forman Grill and is so much better. Has a slide out drip tray so you catch all the fat and it is easy to clean. Heats up quickly, great size, bottom flat, top has ridges . I use it for sausages, hamburger patties, chicken kebabs etc.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Excellent product

Have been using the GC7800 for about 18years.
the only change is that the old grill doesn't seem to sizzle like it used to but still has its non-stick surface intact.
So passed it on to kids in flat.
Just purchased the new GC7850B and it looks beautifully designed.
Looking forward to another 18+ years of use with this one.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Like others, best thing ever until it was not

Love it to bits and use it several times a wee and recently had noticed non stick was not as good as usual.
Today I noticed a slab of teflon missing, obviously eaten and sections of the plate bubbling.
Of course it is just outside of 12 mth warranty period.

Hi Dave, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Sunbeam

Great while it lasted

I researched online reviews for this Sunbeam Contact Grill and 6 Slice Sandwich Press GC7850B before purchasing. A local sandwich bar was using and seemed rather happy with it even though the plastic cover for the warming/ready indicator had fallen off already. So it came up with 4.75 star reviews online, not many actual reviews but the reason they were not all 5 stars was the already know bad design for the warming/ready light indicator so i felt happy to purchase.
Less then 6 months later and it is dead. Yes i have the original box to return in the mail for replacement/repairs under warranty, but alas my kittens had forced their way inside and shredded the contents which included the purchase details. I love those kittens to pieces and they in turn are loving my house contents to pieces whilst i sleep.

Bottom Line, the online reviews have dramatically dropped for GC7850B because it just does not last once out of the box.
I am binning mine and can not recommend at all.

Need a new one every year

The grill is great when it works, like a lot of Sunbeam products. We use our for toasted sandwiches and grilling meat. It heats up fast and is quite easy to clean. BUT, we are on our third one. Just after the product it out of warranty the coating starts to come off which makes it inefficient and I would guess unhealthy. Food starts to stick and you can no longer clean it. The reason we keep buying it is that we can usually find one on special for less than $80 but it shouldn't be a disposable item. We've also had problems with a Sunbeam water filter / chiller (just over 12 months and it dies) and the icemaker (had to have several replaced under warranty). Sunbeam just don't make products that last.

Was great while it worked.

Was fantastic while it worked. After fourteen months electric wiring burnt out. Obviously just out of warranty. Emailed Sunbeam. . They never bothered to reply.
Great in every way.
Poor follow up service. Should not burn wiring out after 14 months.

Had the same issue.

We have both this and a family George Foreman. I tend to use the George for Meats and this more for Sandwiches and Veggies and the odd piece of chicken or fish but it is perfectly suited to doing all. Love the flat bottom plate which is a breeze to clean and the drip tray for catching the excess fat off while cooking.
Perfect for Grilling Meats, Veggies and even toasted Sandwiches. Has two setting one for Sandwiches and one for the other stuff. Easy to clean. Swivel top plate allows movement for thicker cuts of meats and thicker foccacia sandwiches.
There is nothing i dislike about the Sunbeam Contact Grill and Sandwich Press.

Good

It has saved us loads of money as an alternative to takeaways and the kids really love what my husband can now make on this grill. They even love foccacias now with all sorts of veg they wouldn't try before (amazing what a slice of cheese will do though). It's very much a no-fuss and kid-friendly meal and you'd really have to work at it to burn or overheat the food (we've tried!)
Makes very nice grilled sandwiches - evenly heats and cooks without any fuss.
Teflon coating wearing out after just a year or so of weekly use.

Good

A handy equipment to have in my kitchen cooking healthier versions of grilled steak, fish and chicken. There's no need to aid oil. All I got to do is put the plug in the socket, wait for it to heat and pop the piece of meat on the grill. Best of all, there is minimal mess as possible and I just love that as it is very easy to clean!
Very easy to clean. Very professional look and design.
Nothing that I can think off at the moment.

Good

I love my sunbeam grill, it heats up quickly and cooks evenly. It is a great shape to store easily in the cupboard.It is also sold at places like bigw where its a great price
This is great, nothing sticks to it thats the best part. heats really fast stores easily in cupboard. great price

My new Sunbeam Cafe Contact Grill & Sandwich Press GC7850B has a very lopsided lid. ie. when latched open it slopes towards the left side. There is a difference in the opening of about 2 centimetres from side to side. I am waiting for Sunbeam to acknowledge my concern about this.