Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520

Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520

HP4520 and HP5520

A lie about capacity

I bought this a month ago on the basis it said it was a 5.5 litre cooker because I was replacing one I bought years ago that was also 5.5 litres. As soon as I unpacked it I could see this was a scam regarding the size. The pot has shrunk by at least 1.5 litres of actual cooking space. No wonder they can sell it cheaper because its real cooking capacity is only 4 litres. i measured it and that's that. So be warned. I hate lying on product capacity. This cooker holds 5.5 litres from base to brim but IT IS NOT A 5.5 LITRE CAPACITY COOKER

A bit hot, but works ok

The device gets hot, but I think that's how it is. I was advised that I'd better place it on a stove to protect the bench. The pot and lid can be washed in a dishwasher. Works fine. No switch off timer.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $29.00.

Hi BadBlock Thanks for the great review. This unit does get hot. It is the belt/wrap around element for even slow cooking. We suggest to have it on a board or block to protect bench top surfaces etc. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Horrible product

This product is absolutely horrible! I was given this as a gift both times burnt my food on the low setting. Went back and got it replaced and this one does the same thing. Extremely hot to touch on the outside and cooked my food on the keep warm setting. This isn't okay. Defiantly returning for a refund. Will never get another sunbeam product again, way to dangerous. I should feel safe leaving my home with my slow cooker on however the smell that came off it when turned on and the fact the settings mean nothing. Lost my business.

Purchased in June 2019 at Big W for $59.00.

Hi Nat, Sorry to hear, normally a great product. Please call us on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist or by all means return to store.I have returned twice now and I had the same problem both times. I have gone to another brand thanks for the replyThanks for reviewing, we will take on board...

Excellent value Sunbeam Slow Cooker

This is an excellent economical slow cooker. Simple suitable for a family of 5. The ceramic cooking dish looks great and washes easy. The Sunbeam is Great value, is simple to use, and retains sufficient juices to allow for great curries. Best test was a tradition Goat leg curry. Time for more slow cooked stews and curries

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Love my analog slow cooker

I requested this for Christmas after my digital Sunbeam broke (after 13 months!!). I love this model, it’s cheaper and fuss free. It does mean you can’t set the timer to turn off or turn to warm but you can remedy that by using a wall plug with a timer. Overall a good product at a good price point. Love the ceramic bowl too, I kept the bowl from my digital model so now I have two. One for dinner and one for pudding afterwards!

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for the positive feedback mj88!

Terrible, has wrecked my benchtop and chopping board

This is my second slow cooker, had the other one for years and never an issue (only died due to user error). Have used this one 3 times and it's wrecked my wooden benchtops - next time tried it on the chopping board and it's wrecked that as well. So dangerous - what a total waste of money - I'll be going back to Russell Hobs

Date PurchasedNov 2017
HI justrace, So sorry to hear this has happened. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 so we can discuss this with you.

Perfect cooking temperature, food comes out brilliant every time!

I bought this as a replacement for my Target branded slow cooker, which would consistently burn and overcook my food. So I made this purchase and I've had nothing but tasty and delightful results. It's so simple to just whip something up before work and chuck it in here knowing you can come home to a tender, flavoursome and delicious meal. I suggest cooking some beef spare ribs drenched with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce if you want to treat yourself!

And disregard negative reviews below, most of which are just about the stainless steel casing getting "too hot". Well, that's what happens when you have a heating element on the other side of stainless steel. Use your brains, my god. It's a great cooker.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Ainsley, thank you for your thoughts. I agree, slow cookers are just so helpful in our daily lives!

Does the job

Currently on sale at David Jones at an attractive price of $39.95, I went ahead and purchased one. I used it to cook and it did not disappoint! I am a working mother with 3 boys and it gets so busy esp before dinner time. I cook a night ahead, I pop everything in the slow cooker at night and have a really nice meal first thing in the morning ready for the night ahead.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Busy Mum, that's what the slow cooker is for, making meal preparation so much easier and you are the perfect example of this! Thanks for the great review...

Extremly hot on out side.

Have just purchased this cooker and it gets extremely hot on the out side...
That hot that it's untouchable ... Should this happen .
Have only used it a few times because I'm a bit frightened of being burned. Purchased from Myer store two months ago.
To replace an existing sunbeam slow cooker that I have had for years. Just needed a bigger capacity.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Joanne. As per the answer to the question you submitted, the body of the slow cooker will get hot as one of the feature's of this product is that it has a 'wrap-around' element to ensure consistent/even cooking, as opposed to an element solely in the base of the unit. That is why Sunbeam always recommends to use the handles when lifting or moving the slow cooker.

Slow cooking ridiculous and smells awful

I bought this product a few weeks ago and have used it twice. On both occasions the meat was tough and the vegetables hard. What bothered me more was the smell. The smell is absolutely awful and permeated through the food. It was inedible. I cant believe that this would be any good for your health eating this chemical whatever it is. I will be returning this product and looking for a different brand.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Wan, thanks for your feedback and apologies for the issues you have experienced with your Sunbeam slow cooker. Can I just ask you to check the model number of your product as this particular model was sold exclusively in Big W and has been obsolete for a few years.Not sure if it is the same one as you are referring to as I purchased mine from David Jones. Model hp 5520 Sunbeam type 719 made in China to Sunbeam specifications.

Good upgrade

Bought this because our existing 3L Sunbeam didn't have the capacity I needed. As with the other one, it is easy to clean, cooks well and provides exactly the features required. As I have time available, I prefer to brown meats and soften vegetables on my induction cooktop rather than buy a multi-function cooker.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Brushy26, thanks for the positive review!! I agree, the 5.5L capacity is great for when you have friends over or alternatively, if you want to prepare mid week meals ahead of time!! Keep an eye out for our newly released HP5530 which has a capacity of 7.5L. This will help you prepare meals for the entire year haha!!!Can't afford the cost of the freezer that would require.Mmmm...If only Sunbeam made freezers....

This cooker is extremely disappointing

This cooker failed after 2 years moderate use. Surely we can expect a longer and more reliable performance than 2 years. Although worked well initially it’s features are very ordinary.We will never buy a Sunbeam product again. Quality and reliability is non- existent. It is unfortunate that we can’t trust established brands anymore. Looking elsewhere in future.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Affordable but not great

For its price, it's alright because it does the job but it cooks slower than the times indicated in recipes.
Takes a very long time for the temperature to heat up and cook food.
The size is very decent and can cook for a family for 4-6 well.
Easy to clean.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Shattered lid

Had a similar experience to J Ferguson. Put lamb shanks and vegs on low at 10am and at 5pm heard an almighty 'crack' and found the glass lid had shattered into my casserole rendering it inedible. Only had this cooker for a month and used it only once before!!!! Taking it back to The Good Guys today, very disappointed as I had a Breville for many years with not one hiccup until it. Not sure whether to try again or go back to Breville???

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Does the job

Got the slow cooker for a great price, and it does the job. Relatively easy to clean, and maintains temperature while cooking. It is very slow to heat up, so requires another pan if wanting to brown meat before adding to the slow cooker. This version has a 'keep warm' function which is useful.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great value Slow Cooker

This is a great slow cooker which is nice and simple. It works well and is a decent size to make larger portions. However, this product could be improved by adding a "Keep Warm" setting which would be convenient. Otherwise, it is a great slow cooker for the price that was paid.

Great for large family.

This replaces a Sunbeam Slow-cooker I had previously that I would have still had had the ceramic inner not cracked. Have chosen a manual cooker so I can be more vigilant and take more care when I cook. Loved having the digital cooker but I believe this cooker does the trick just as well. My decision was based on the fact that the digital display died over a short time...ended up counting beeps.

Big enough for a family of 4

I bought this slow cooker to make my life in the kitchen a little easier. It is a perfect addition to my kitchen appliances and the size is large enough for a family of 4. We have been very satisfied with the results and tried a variety of meats and sauces. It is very easy to clean and care of, nothing sticks to the bottom, perfect results.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

A great value slow cooker, large enough for family!

This is a relatively simple slow cooker. But with one feature that many others lack, the "Keep Warm" function. Which is really handy when entertaining, or if your timing when cooking things may have been a bit "off".

With a 5.5L capacity, it can be considered (perhaps mistakenly) as interchangeable with other 5.5L slow cookers. However, it has a slightly rounder oval than many, and so it has the capacity to cook a large family-sized roast chicken, 4 lamb shanks (in a single layer), or large duck with room to spare. For stroganoff, soups, and other non-oddly shaped ingredients, you can easily feed an average family with 5.5L perhaps even for two meals.

At a price of $34 (new) from Harvey Norman, it's hard to find a cheaper product from a name brand.

We have been very satisfied by the results even on "High", despite the fact that we know that the results could be further improved on the slower (and lower) setting. Let's just put that down to our disorganisation. :-)

We really can't complain about any aspect of it's use, functionality, or result. At all.

Sure, you can buy other slow cookers with temperature control, and pressure cooking options, others will cook a meal based on a pre-defined range of recipes... but for our purposes, that's really excessive.

If you like a simple device that does the job well, then we give this a solid 5 stars.

Love it

This slow cooker is big enough to cook a generous family meal. The results are always good but I find a longer slower cook preferred. I sometimes put it on late a night on low and let it cook through the next day. This is great for fall apart pulled pork or beef. It's easy to clean but the ceramic cooking bowl is quite heavy.

Date PurchasedFeb 2008

What is the power wattage please?
Hi JULIE T, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. HP4520 is 220-240W. HP5520 is 290-300W. Kind regards, Sunbeam

Most Important: Is the Ceramic Coating Lead and Cadmium FREE in the Sunbeam Slow Cookers? Slow Cooking can be Healthier for us (the Celsius being lower than a Gas Stove) but it becomes TOXIC when Lead and/or Cadmium are used in the glaze that coats the Ceramic Bowl OR Nasty Tephlon is used. Stainless Steel would be great - it's Good to have Options. In the interest of Good Information Practices and Good Health, companies should always state on the package and advertisements if Ceramic Bowls, Oven Dishes, Cups and Plates are Lead and Cadmium FREE. This is a must in manufacture and buying practice for consumers. I have Oven Casserole Ceramic Dishes from a company overseas that openly state this Vital Info on the products. (Researcher 20+ Yrs)
I do not know. At the same time I am old enough for it to be irrelevant.Hi Janetau. All of Sunbeam's slow cooker inserts meet the necessary requirements.@Customer C. That is fine for you to just say that, though it needs to be backed up with verifiable test reports supplied to the customer. I asked for the documented test reports and was told they aren't available.

Hi, have just purchased a replacement sunbeam slow cooker 5.5 ltr. When using it gets that hot on the outside that you can't possibly touch it ... Is this normal? Thanks Joanne
Unfortunately I can't really comment as I never touch the outside when it is on. On the rare occasions that I have to move it, I always use the handles. We don't have small children, which I assume is behind your question.Hi Joanne. One of the features of the HP5520 is that it has a wrap around element as opposed to an element at the base, which ensures consistent/even cooking. This means that the outer body of the slow cooker will get hot so we always recommend to use the handles if lifting or moving the slow cooker.

Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520
CategorySlow CookersSlow Cookers
Price (RRP) $54.95$59.95
Capacity4.5L5.5L
Keep Warm SettingYesYes
Dishwasher Safe PartsYesYes
Dimensions 280 x 420 x 270 mm280 x 430 x 290 mm
Weight6.15 kg7.1 kg
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release dateNov 2009Nov 2009