3Sunbeam SecretChef

2.8
Straightforward to use
Fuss-free to clean
Large capacity
Exterior can get very hot

Jules
JulesPerth, WA13 posts
  HP5520

Got so hot it cracked the stone benchtop

I have had other slow cookers before but this one is a joke. The underside gets so hot it put a 15cm crack in our brand new stone benchtop. Never had to use anything under our old slow cooker. The amount of heat it emits is ridiculous. I personally can’t fault the cooking though, but it’s not really worth it given the consequences. Really wish we’d bought a different one that actually works how a slow cooker should.
mary lou
mary louGippsland, VIC15 posts
  HP5520

the perfect addition to my kitchen

This crock pot is excellent if you are after a large slow cooker.The inner pot is ceramic with an stainless steel outer.The element in this is at the sides so no sticking food at bottom,place veges in first meat on top followed by stock then set and forget NO NEED TO STIR Show reply
chris.jude14
chris.jude14Victoria2 posts
  HP4520

great room heater

as a room heater its ok, throwing heat outwards. otherwise its a bacteria breeder. it cannot get hot enough to cook anything before 3 hrs. Show details
Christine E.
Christine E.Central, SA
  HP5520

Writing on the dial rubbed off like wet paint

Writing on the dial rubbed off like wet paint when I wiped the dial during cooking. Product almost 3 years old. Contacted Sunbeam they refuse to repair or replace as out of warranty. Is it reasonable to expect the product to do this after 3 years? Sunbeam Ref. 33424906 Show details
symoMetropolitan Adelaide, SA5 posts

Crappy

Sunbeam products are always faulty. And they demand a receipt and don't believe that their products are crap. They demanded that I send a picture of my iron with the cord cut in half so that they might consider my case for getting a new one. Never buy from them again.
Emma L.
Emma L.Sydney, NSW6 posts
  SecretChef

Very reliable

I actually wanted to also review the egg cooker and slow cooker but there's no option for their egg cooker. The slow cooker is amazing we bought ours close to ten years ago and it's still working today. The best way to use this is to cook ribs. Absolutely delicious and surprising much faster than cooking the ribs in an oven. Their egg cooker is also great, I just got mine recently and it's fantastic. I use mine to make perfectly soft boiled eggs since using a regular pot usually breaks my eggs or make the whites mushy. Show details
Cherie
CherieMurray Mallee, SA4 posts
  HP5520

Not a good slow cooker. Do not buy

Put the cooker on slow cooking. Came home to extremely strong burning smell throughout the kitchen and lounge. Food thrown out. Couldn’t even clean the burnt food off the inside. Cooker thrown out. Got way too hot. Not happy.  Show details
wayne
wayneSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts
  SecretChef

Save your money, buy another brand

Do not recommend. The slow cooker is too weak, I literally have placed in 4 shanks on high (4hrs) and it isn't hot enough and didn't cook the meal. Save yourself the trouble, don't buy it. Side note - I have an old one and know how to use these.
Arpita P.
Arpita P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC10 posts
  Verified HP5520

Amazing product

I was offered a replacement form Sunbeam. I cooked Nihari (indian slow cooker meat dish) and it turned out to be amazing. It actually exceeded my expectations. Meat cooked to perfection.  Show details ·  3
Chris
ChrisSouth Australia8 posts

VERY DANGEROUS I DON’T RECOMMEND IT

Just purchased a new sunbeam slow cooker and it’s smells bad like electrical burning and Smoke coming out of the temperature control dial. I do Recommended anyone buying it s Show details
Valli
Valli2 posts

Very disappointed!

I have had the same problems....purchased this 5.5 lt Sunbeam slow cooker as I already have the 4.5 lt which I purchased years ago and it works perfectly but I wanted a larger one for my bone broth ! Couldn’t be more disappointed! It becomes extremely hot and as for the cool touch handles! What a joke..they were red hot and the machine gave off a plastic burning smell, which didn’t go away. And thank heavens I always use a wooden cutting board underneath electrical products! The board was very hot! Not happy and I am about to return it to retailer now! And after reading other reviews, I will not purchase another one! Show details
Clemens E.
Clemens E.South East Queensland, QLD13 posts

Glass Lid Shattered to Pieces

I had the Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520 for some years now. On 13 April 2020 with no reason whatsoever the glass lid imploded and the lid shattered to pieces. When I tried to lift off by its handle, the shattered glass fell into my vegetable soup wrecking it entirely.
Emma W.
Emma W.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC2 posts
Janey
Janey

A lie about capacity

I bought this a month ago on the basis it said it was a 5.5 litre cooker because I was replacing one I bought years ago that was also 5.5 litres. As soon as I unpacked it I could see this was a scam regarding the size. The pot has shrunk by at least 1.5 litres of actual cooking space. No wonder they can sell it cheaper because its real cooking capacity is only 4 litres. i measured it and that's that. So be warned. I hate lying on product capacity. This cooker holds 5.5 litres from base to brim but IT IS NOT A 5.5 LITRE CAPACITY COOKER
BadBlock
BadBlockAdelaide12 posts
  Verified HP5520

A bit hot, but works ok

The device gets hot, but I think that's how it is. I was advised that I'd better place it on a stove to protect the bench. The pot and lid can be washed in a dishwasher. Works fine. No switch off timer. Show details ·  1

Jodie
Jodie · SecretChef

Just brought the Sunbeam HP5520 and the glass lid seems to big doesnt sit flat anyone else find this

symo

All Sunbeam products are very dodgey and they never replace them. All you get is the runaround and they are very unhelpful.

Rosa
Rosa · SecretChef

Hi!

I purchased a slow cooker about a month ago (threw away the box and receipt) and I’ve only just turned it on today, but there is smoke and a burning rubber smell coming from the dial.

I turned it off straight away but I wonder if this is a manufacturing fault and if I should contact sunbeam?

Gumnut
Gumnut · SecretChef

How to clean the aluminium part of Slow Cooker 5520

Features:

• The Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520 Slow Cooker has a 5.5L capacity.
  • It has a keep warm setting that helps prevent overcooking and lets you enjoy a warm meal even when you don’t plate up right away.
  • A wrap-around element ensures even heating and stops food from sticking to the bottom of the crock. It also means you don’t need to stir your food.
  • The bowl and lid of the slow cooker are dishwasher safe.
  • The slow cooker’s heat settings are Low, High, and Keep Warm.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520 was easy to use, with reviewers saying that they could set and forget, and throw ingredients into the cooker in the morning and come home to a tender, flavoursome meal.
  • They also said that the appliance was easy to clean and take care of, especially because nothing stuck to the bottom of the pot.
  • Reviewers appreciated the large capacity of the slow cooker, saying that it was big enough to cook a generous family meal.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers expressed discontent at how hot the exterior of the slow cooker got while cooking, saying that it was burning hot and thus unsafe to use. Representatives from Sunbeam have said this is due to the wrap-around element of the slow cooker.
Compare all Sunbeam SecretChef listings
Keep Warm SettingYesYes
Dishwasher Safe PartsYesYes
Dimensions 280 x 430 x 290 mm280 x 420 x 270 mm
Weight7.1 kg6.15 kg
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release date