Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520

Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520

HP5520, HP4520

Should I get a slow cooker, pressure cooker or multi cooker?

Thanks to slow cookers, pressure cookers and multi cookers, the days of slaving away over a stovetop are over. This buying guide will help you decide which kitchen appliance is right for you.

Read now

wayne

wayneSouth East Queensland, QLD

Save your money, buy another brand

Do not recommend. The slow cooker is too weak, I literally have placed in 4 shanks on high (4hrs) and it isn't hot enough and didn't cook the meal. Save yourself the trouble, don't buy it. Side note - I have an old one and know how to use these.

Arpita P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Slow cooker releasing smoke out of the dial

I bought this slow cooker a year ago from Good Guys. Never used it until today. Turned it on for the first time and see smoke coming out of the dial. Smells like something is burning. Coz I bought it long time ago don’t know am I able to return it? I lost the receipt can someone help

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for A$39.00.

Arpita P.

How do I send private message to you. And also I tried to contact you guys on Facebook but I got no further response yet

Hello Arpita,
I have just sent you a message, please check you inbox.
Sunbeam Customer Care.

Chris

ChrisSouth Australia

VERY DANGEROUS I DON’T RECOMMEND IT

Just purchased a new sunbeam slow cooker and it’s smells bad like electrical burning and Smoke coming out of the temperature control dial. I do Recommended anyone buying it s

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$44.95.

Very disappointed!

I have had the same problems....purchased this 5.5 lt Sunbeam slow cooker as I already have the 4.5 lt which I purchased years ago and it works perfectly but I wanted a larger one for my bone broth ! Couldn’t be more disappointed! It becomes extremely hot and as for the cool touch handles! What a joke..they were red hot and the machine gave off a plastic burning smell, which didn’t go away. And thank heavens I always use a wooden cutting board underneath electrical products! The board was very hot! Not happy and I am about to return it to retailer now! And after reading other reviews, I will not purchase another one!

Purchased in June 2020 at GoodGuys.

Clemens E.

Clemens E.South East Queensland, QLD

Glass Lid Shattered to Pieces

I had the Sunbeam SecretChef HP5520 for some years now. On 13 April 2020 with no reason whatsoever the glass lid imploded and the lid shattered to pieces. When I tried to lift off by its handle, the shattered glass fell into my vegetable soup wrecking it entirely.

Emma W.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Get's unsafely hot

Purchased in July 2019 at Myer for A$59.00.

A lie about capacity

I bought this a month ago on the basis it said it was a 5.5 litre cooker because I was replacing one I bought years ago that was also 5.5 litres. As soon as I unpacked it I could see this was a scam regarding the size. The pot has shrunk by at least 1.5 litres of actual cooking space. No wonder they can sell it cheaper because its real cooking capacity is only 4 litres. i measured it and that's that. So be warned. I hate lying on product capacity. This cooker holds 5.5 litres from base to brim but IT IS NOT A 5.5 LITRE CAPACITY COOKER

BadBlock

BadBlockAdelaide

A bit hot, but works ok

The device gets hot, but I think that's how it is. I was advised that I'd better place it on a stove to protect the bench. The pot and lid can be washed in a dishwasher. Works fine. No switch off timer.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores for A$29.00.

Hi BadBlock
Thanks for the great review. This unit does get hot. It is the belt/wrap around element for even slow cooking. We suggest to have it on a board or block to protect bench top surfaces etc.
Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Horrible product

This product is absolutely horrible! I was given this as a gift both times burnt my food on the low setting. Went back and got it replaced and this one does the same thing. Extremely hot to touch on the outside and cooked my food on the keep warm setting. This isn't okay. Defiantly returning for a refund. Will never get another sunbeam product again, way to dangerous. I should feel safe leaving my home with my slow cooker on however the smell that came off it when turned on and the fact the settings mean nothing. Lost my business.

Purchased in June 2019 at Big W for A$59.00.

Hi Nat,
Sorry to hear, normally a great product. Please call us on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist or by all means return to store.

Nat

I have returned twice now and I had the same problem both times. I have gone to another brand thanks for the reply

Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for reviewing, we will take on board...

Phillip A

Phillip AAU

Excellent value Sunbeam Slow Cooker

This is an excellent economical slow cooker. Simple suitable for a family of 5. The ceramic cooking dish looks great and washes easy. The Sunbeam is Great value, is simple to use, and retains sufficient juices to allow for great curries. Best test was a tradition Goat leg curry. Time for more slow cooked stews and curries

Date PurchasedDec 2018
mj88

mj88Western Australia

Love my analog slow cooker

I requested this for Christmas after my digital Sunbeam broke (after 13 months!!). I love this model, it’s cheaper and fuss free. It does mean you can’t set the timer to turn off or turn to warm but you can remedy that by using a wall plug with a timer. Overall a good product at a good price point. Love the ceramic bowl too, I kept the bowl from my digital model so now I have two. One for dinner and one for pudding afterwards!

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Customer C.Sunbeam

Thanks for the positive feedback mj88!

justrace

justraceAU

Terrible, has wrecked my benchtop and chopping board

This is my second slow cooker, had the other one for years and never an issue (only died due to user error). Have used this one 3 times and it's wrecked my wooden benchtops - next time tried it on the chopping board and it's wrecked that as well. So dangerous - what a total waste of money - I'll be going back to Russell Hobs

Date PurchasedNov 2017

HI justrace,
So sorry to hear this has happened. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 so we can discuss this with you.

Ainsley

AinsleyBrisbane

Perfect cooking temperature, food comes out brilliant every time!

I bought this as a replacement for my Target branded slow cooker, which would consistently burn and overcook my food. So I made this purchase and I've had nothing but tasty and delightful results. It's so simple to just whip something up before work and chuck it in here knowing you can come home to a tender, flavoursome and delicious meal. I suggest cooking some beef spare ribs drenched with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce if you want to treat yourself!

And disregard negative reviews below, most of which are just about the stainless steel casing getting "too hot". Well, that's what happens when you have a heating element on the other side of stainless steel. Use your brains, my god. It's a great cooker.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Ainsley, thank you for your thoughts. I agree, slow cookers are just so helpful in our daily lives!

Busy Mum

Busy MumSydney, NSW

Does the job

Currently on sale at David Jones at an attractive price of $39.95, I went ahead and purchased one. I used it to cook and it did not disappoint! I am a working mother with 3 boys and it gets so busy esp before dinner time. I cook a night ahead, I pop everything in the slow cooker at night and have a really nice meal first thing in the morning ready for the night ahead.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Busy Mum, that's what the slow cooker is for, making meal preparation so much easier and you are the perfect example of this! Thanks for the great review...

Joanne S

Joanne SCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Extremly hot on out side.

Have just purchased this cooker and it gets extremely hot on the out side...
That hot that it's untouchable ... Should this happen .
Have only used it a few times because I'm a bit frightened of being burned. Purchased from Myer store two months ago.
To replace an existing sunbeam slow cooker that I have had for years. Just needed a bigger capacity.

Find out how Sunbeam SecretChef HP4520 / HP5520 compares to other Slow Cookers

Slow cooking ridiculous and smells awful

I bought this product a few weeks ago and have used it twice. On both occasions the meat was tough and the vegetables hard. What bothered me more was the smell. The smell is absolutely awful and permeated through the food. It was inedible. I cant believe that this would be any good for your health eating this chemical whatever it is. I will be returning this product and looking for a different brand.

Wan
Wan

Not sure if it is the same one as you are referring to as I purchased mine from David Jones. Model hp 5520 Sunbeam type 719 made in China to Sunbeam specifications.

Brushy26Killara, NSW

Good upgrade

Bought this because our existing 3L Sunbeam didn't have the capacity I needed. As with the other one, it is easy to clean, cooks well and provides exactly the features required. As I have time available, I prefer to brown meats and soften vegetables on my induction cooktop rather than buy a multi-function cooker.

Brushy26

Can't afford the cost of the freezer that would require.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Mmmm...If only Sunbeam made freezers....

Ray K

Ray K

This cooker is extremely disappointing

This cooker failed after 2 years moderate use. Surely we can expect a longer and more reliable performance than 2 years. Although worked well initially it’s features are very ordinary.We will never buy a Sunbeam product again. Quality and reliability is non- existent. It is unfortunate that we can’t trust established brands anymore. Looking elsewhere in future.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Great Bargain

Great BargainSydney

Affordable but not great

For its price, it's alright because it does the job but it cooks slower than the times indicated in recipes.
Takes a very long time for the temperature to heat up and cook food.
The size is very decent and can cook for a family for 4-6 well.
Easy to clean.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Marj

MarjLindfield

Shattered lid

Had a similar experience to J Ferguson. Put lamb shanks and vegs on low at 10am and at 5pm heard an almighty 'crack' and found the glass lid had shattered into my casserole rendering it inedible. Only had this cooker for a month and used it only once before!!!! Taking it back to The Good Guys today, very disappointed as I had a Breville for many years with not one hiccup until it. Not sure whether to try again or go back to Breville???

Date PurchasedMar 2018