MPN: 35904460

Devastated!!

I got my Sunbeam SecretChef Slow cooker as a birthday gift last August.
I use it at least three times a week (I get Hello Fresh meals) and I love, love how simple mealtime is!
It even encouraged my two teenage sons to help with the cooking in the kitchen as the sear and slow cooking options make it so much easier and replace different pots and pans being used-thus fewer dishes!
But then last night it simply gave up – after only a little more than one year. Will still slow cook but appears element has blown as it won’t even heat up to the 100 degrees option. I assume it has two heating elements in each side of the cooking surface? Now only one side heats up and doesn't have enough power to cook anything so the whole unit is useless!
I am devastated and very disappointed as Sunbeam is a well-loved name in our household and I trusted this appliance will last longer!

Purchased in August 2018.

Hi Teresa, So sorry to hear of this. Please contact Sunbeam on 1300 881 861 and we can assist your further. Please have your purchase receipt with you. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Great slow cooker, poor quality coating on pan.

I love this slow cooker and have cooked many meals in it, from roasts, to curries, to soups. However, the pan doesn't have a good quality teflon/non stick surface and although I take much care with it and only use non scratch utensils, it has scratched and has burnt areas. This could be a five star product but is let down by the poor quality coating on the pan. Considering the price, it should be better, no one wants teflon in their meals.

Hi Lisa, So sorry to hear of this. Have you got the date of purchase? If it is within the last 18 months we can replace the insert free of charge. You can email the receipt with your contact details to customercare@sunbeam.com.au If you do not have your receipt or if it is well over 18 months you can purchase pans. The part number you require is: HP855503 Parts are available from the following online agents - please place the model number in the search engine to see a full list and photos. It pays to check the pricing and compare. https://www.ewingelectrical.com.au http://www.elliselectricals.com.au https://bigwarehouse.com.au Mr Sparky (QLD) 07 3379 5332 Kind Regards Sunbeam

Very satisfied

Have not been disappointed with this product. Performs as expected,easy to use,has all features necessary to make using in a variety of ways simple and tasty. I am happy with my purchase have used many times over last few years with success and will continue to do so

Purchased in July 2013 at Myer for $139.00.

Hi tjr, Thanks for the great review! We love it too. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Perfect for probably 20 uses

Love the concept of this slow cooker as I like to prep a slow cook meal in the morning. The searing function as well as the variable controls are a great concept.
I’m very disappointed however as the Teflon has peeled away from the inner pan despite my careful choice of utensils. Another piece of landfill! Such a shame!

Purchased in April 2017.

Hi Shelly, So sorry to hear of this. Your feedback is valued and has been passed on to our product team. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Love the product when new.

Love this product when new. The sear function ensures that you can seal in the flavour of a variety of meat, caramelize onions and then cook in the juices. Use at least once per week for a variety of tasks from risotto to slow cooked curries. Am now onto my second unit and it has now died. Will still slow cook but appears element has blown as wont even heat up to the 100 degrees option. Both units have died just after running out of warranty. Highly recommend the product but wish I had longer usage given the price. Very easy to use and clean.

Purchased in March 2018 at Big W for $168.00.

Hi Chad, So sorry to hear this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 with your purchase receipt and details. Kind Regards, Sunbeam,

Non-stick paint seasoning

My two year old Secret Chef has been fabulous to use, but after watching the paint peel itself off progressively, I’m so disappointed that it is heading for the bin. Tonight’s cauliflower soup is one of the first light coloured dishes I’ve cooked in it; and for the first time I’m actually seeing the effect of peeling - what looks like cracked pepper but is a Teflon paint seasoning. That’s it! It’s out! I have been the only user and have only used soft utensils. Why can’t companies make something that lasts.....!
Sunbeam sound like this coating is an ongoing failure from all these identical reviews. Wish I’d read them before trusting this product.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $150.00.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear this. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist...

didn't listen to reviews, learning the hard way

i am on my second machine after claiming on the 12month warranty for peeling teflon. the replacement also peeled, to buy new insert is $70. disheartened with the Sunbeam product.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Online Store for $149.00.

Really Disappointed.

I have only used this product four times, the last being on Saturday. The food was ruined, over cooked and we couldn’t eat it. I experience the same problem every time, it is impossible to cook on Low, the food cooks way too fast. I think there must be something wrong with the thermostat. In the recipe section of the instruction booklet, one recipe says to cook on Low for 8 hours, not possible with this machine. Slow cookers I have used in the past, I could set when leaving for work and would cook for 8 hours without a problem. On Low setting, food is cooked before 3 hours with this machine. Also I am having a problem with the insert peeling, even though I only use correct utensils, like other users. I do not recommend this product. I will never buy another Sunbeam product again, top $$ ($169 ) but seriously below par quality-wise. I don’t expect to pay top dollar and for something not to work regardless of the miserable 12 month warranty period. That says it all.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Online Store.

Hi Gretel01, sorry to hear. Please return to store or give us a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist. I know this doesn't sound like the HP8555. I cooked lamb roast yesterday for 8 hours and it was perfect

Cooking pan teflon peels

Have had 3 cooking pan replacements due to the teflon blistering and peeling. The slow cooker was great for a few months but there is a fault in the pans. We are extremely careful in the care and washing of the teflon surface. Sunbeam admitted there was a problem with the pans on the first replacement and after the 3rd won't replace it, which is fair enough. Don't waste your money, which is a shame as a good cooker when it goes.

Purchased in August 2018 at The Good Guys for $135.00.

Hi Webtones, sorry to hear this. Always give us a call if you would like on 1300 881 861Hi, yes I have called 1300 881 861 and the customer service person looked at my details and said we could not have another pan replacement. They offered to supply the part number so I could purchase one. As I have lost faith in the pans, will not waste my money. The last pan was only replaced 10 months ago.

Non stick comes off after a few months

Non stick coating started peeling off the insert after only 7 months. Contacted Sunbeam who replaced the whole unit because there was a long wait on the inserts. 16 months later and the coating is peeling off again (it was replaced in summer so has only had a few months use). Sunbeam are refusing to replace due to being out of warranty. Don’t waste your money on this product.

Purchased in January 2018.

Hubby loves it.

I bought the slow cooker for my Hubby. He loves using it, you are able to sear and seal the meat first (no frypan needed). It is deep and holds lamb shanks with ease, the digital screen makes it easy to read. I have enjoyed many a meal with Sunbeams slow cooker

Purchased in July 2018 for $150.00.

Hi Chelle_C, Thanks for the great review.!

It WAS loved, until recently!

Had our Sunbeam Secretchef for about 18 months now, and was using it weekly until recently. We love slow cooking (soup, stews), and the sear function, and timer, is super. We've had the same problem as the other reviewers though.
Despite only using silicone or wood utensils, the non stick coating is coming off in strips. We don't feel it's safe to use anymore. I've just read that a replacement insert pot costs around $70! What?! That's not reasonable for a device, even one about 18 months old.

Purchased in July 2017.

Hi A Speck, Sorry to hear of the issue with the cooking insert. Please call us on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to assist you further.As per Sunbeam's suggestion, I phoned their care team. I was delighted with the response I got - they will be replacing the unit. Thank you Sunbeam (and Clare, who helped me) for excellent customer service!

New to slow cookers

Just purchased my Sunbeam HP 8555 browning slow cooker. Am new to slow cookers use. Have used it once, made a stew and very happy with the browning function and cooker overall so far. Hope it continues to function this well. Will update review in 3 months. Fingers crossed it will continue to serve me well.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great while it lasted

I bought this in 2015 and have used on a regular basis ever since. Absolutely loved the sear function and could never fault the unit until about 4 months ago when the non-stick surface insert needed replacing. This cost about $70 but I was happy to do it since it had been such a great appliance thus far. However, I’m now finding that the unit doesn’t reach a temperature higher than the lowest setting- seems like the element is failing. For the price I expected more than a 3 year lifespan so am very disappointed, as I’ve had sunbeam appliances last 10 years+ before. Now considering going to another brand when I replace it.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Cooks really well. Non stick is rubbish

Does a great job cooking but is let down by the non stick coating which just peels off. never used anything but plastic utensils. it was a gift so i dont have the receipt and when i called customer service i got quoted $90 for a new tub. considering sunbeam is well aware this product has issues i think that is a poor effort at getting more money from a customer. you can buy the same cooker new for $130. i went and bought a slow cooker with the old clay pot for less than what sunbeam wanted for the tub. it has all the timers and you dont have to worry about health effects of coatings coming off in your food.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Hi Kris, sorry to hear you were not happy with the Secretchef. We do value everyone's opinion, good or bad and will take the feedback on board..

Fantastic product non stick let's it down though!

My slow is fantastic, however as previously mentioned the non stick coating has cracked. I only use and own plastic utensils and so am extremely disappointed in this. Especially as it is only around a year old. We have purchased the extended warranty as well. Feel like this needs to be rectified in order to make one of the best products in this range on the market!

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Hi Bron, sorry to hear you have this problem, not sure why this may be happening. Please return to your store of purchase or phone our Customer Care Team on 1300 881 861 so we can assist you.

Yes great until non stick starts peeling

Purchased in Jul 2017 have been away for 3 months had out to cook soup then when cleaning found non stick peeling off. I have only used silicone and non stick utensils in this. Very disappointed as I have purchased a lot of Sunbeam appliances over the years and now I have a slow cooker that works and I cannot use.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
HI Maria, sorry to hear that and not sure why this has occurred. Please give our Customer Care team a call to discuss this further with you on 1300 881 861Thank you

Great until the non-stick starts to peel off

I had read others reviews on this product about the non-stick coating coming off, but decided to chance it as i liked the other features. It was great for twelve months, and then it happened. The non-stick coating started to bubble off in the bottom of the insert. Never used anything but silicone in it. As the original warranty had just run out, and i had purchased and extra two year warranty, i rang up the backup warranty place only to be told that it doesn't cover the non-stick coating - only the working parts. To say i'm angry doesn't even cover it! So now i'm stuck with a 1 year old slow cooker that works but i can't use it because you are not supposed to ingest non-stick coating (which will happen if i cook food in it now) Don't think i'll bother with extra warranty again. Grrr

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Sweet 58. Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with the non stick coating. I urge you to take a closer look at your extended warranty as it sounds strange that it wouldn't cover something like this - Although I could be wrong! Despite this, Sunbeam would be happy to assist anyway. A new batch of the crock insert is due in early August - please give our customer care team a call and we will put you on the priority list to receive one of these.Hi, I have already sent a message to customer care, and am waiting for them to follow up. Do i just ask them to be put on the list for a new insert? Also i double-checked about the backup warranty and was told it definitely doesn't include the non stick coating.Hi Sweet58. I have just sent you a private message. Please respond at your earliest convenience so that I can expedite your issue!

So far very happy

Only used my Sunbeam once, but so far very happy. Love the fact that I can brown my meat and then slow cook in the same appliance. At 5.5 L its a great size with room to cook for a family. Love the different setting options. Very easy to operate. HOpe the coating doesn’t damage as reviewed by others!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Big Disappointment.

Was thrilled with my Secret Chef and as all my appliances are Sunbeam was expecting good service. How wrong can you be. The coating scratched easily with wood and then bubbled and peeled off. I have read all the previous reviews here and it is a common fault. My appliance is 3 years old(no actually 2 1/2 yrs) and is dead....not good service. Have asked Sunbeam and they say buy a new insert for the ones coated after mine are different. As the inserts are $70 I think I might be buying another brand.

Our local FB group often ask for user opinions and I will certainly let them know and will not be purchasing Sunbeam again. I have Cafe Jug, Toaster, Mixer and many other things bought 10 years ago and expect to replace soon, but will not be Sunbeam as quality today is not the same.

THE GOOD GUYS have been fabulous standing by what they sell which is more than I can say for SUNBEAM. Got a new Secret Chef today which will be great for it has the new style non stick insert used since 2015.

Val

Very disappointed in After Sales Support from SUNBEAM

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Sorry to say the replacement has bubbled too!!! The searing I believe does this to the non stick surface. Very disappointed. Would not recommend the Secret Chef. Perhaps Sunbeam Official can reply on this??Hi valbletch, Sorry to hear of problem you are having. We have just sent you a private message for you to contact us...