Sunbeam SecretChef HP8555

Sunbeam SecretChef HP8555

MPNs: 1811, 35904460 and HP8555

Should I get a slow cooker, pressure cooker or multi cooker?

As the weather becomes colder, a lot of us look forward to hearty home-cooked meals to warm us up. Luckily, the days of slaving away over a stovetop are over, thanks to slow cookers, pressure cookers and multi cookers. This buying guide will help you decide which kitchen appliance is right for you.

Read now

3.4

Bob B.

Bob B.South East Queensland, QLD

"Low Heat" is toohigh.

We have had this product for over 12 months now and use it fairly regularly. Have not had a problem with the Teflon coating but we find that dishes cook too quickly on the "Low" setting. Thus we shorten the cooking time which defeats the purpose of a slow cooker. I cooked a small Silverside yesterday for 4 hours and it was very dry. Would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem.

Purchased in June 2019 at Myer for A$125.00.

Teflon coating peeling

I love this, however the teflon coating started to peel so I immediately stopped using it for safety reasons. I contacted both sunbeam and Myer and no one would replace as it was just out of warranty. I am bitterly disappointed as it should not do this. Very poor quality. Plus its $70+$20postage for a new pan. I refuse to pay this when it is clearly a fault with the product.

Purchased at Myer.

Jose Alberto

Jose AlbertoSydney, NSW

Product was fine until teflon coating came off.

Purchased in February 2018 at Bing Lee Physical store for A$130.00.

Erin

ErinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Non stick coating starts to flake off after a few months

In theory this product is fantastic - a slow cooker that lets you sear first. In reality this product is very poor quality. The non-stick coating is simply "not fit for purpose" and starts to flake off after only a few months of reasonable use despite all care taken, use of only silicone utensils and careful washing. The first basket was replaced under warranty. The non stick coating has also flaked off on the second basket. This product is unfortunately destined for landfill after a short amount of use due to the health risks associated with ingesting non stick coating.

Purchased in June 2018 at David Jones for A$139.00.

Justin A.

Justin A.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disappointed

The product packed it in midway through cooking a meal. I received it for a Christmas present 4 months back and it’s only lasted a few cooks. Its power source does not operate at all. To further add to the disappointment the phone line warranty service seems to not exist. The line drops you out with a msg that no one can attend you. The email never responds back to you either. Frustrating. Would think twice about supporting this brand due to the quality of the product and the support on offer for customers.

Purchased in December 2019.

hello Justin A.
So sorry to hear that - I'd be happy to have that replaced for you.

Can you please send me a private message with your details and a copy of the receipt.

Blondie71South East Queensland, QLD

Worked great approx 8 times... 2 weeks out of warranty & it dies

I have used this product approx 8 times & a few months ago I thought the searing was slow but was preoccupied & thought I'll check it next time.... Well 2 weeks out of warranty & after 40mins trying to brown onions I gave up & used the stove.... Really disappointed in this product. Going to try & call the company but the warranty is not valid. Never again waste my money on this brand.

Purchased in February 2019 at Harvey Norman for A$149.00.

Blondie71

Thankfully the team @ Sunbeam have honoured the warranty & offered a replacement. Great customer service.

LynneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic except for one thing.

I am very satisfied with this slow cooker with one exception, the cooking pot coating is of a most disgusting quality and when I rang to see if I could purchase another I was told to contact a Sunbeam Repairer when I did this I was told to contact Sunbeam to see if they are available. Sounds like a big run around, will simply buy another slow cooker, being sure IT IS NOT SUNBEAM

Purchased at Myer.

Lynne

Not unless I can get a guarantee that the coating has been improved 100%.

Ruthp

RuthpGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Awesome function, lousy dish

We have used our SecretChef maybe 25 times per year for 5 years. We love the big capacity, and ease of switching between functions. We rarely leave it on for a full day, but use it to cook casseroles, risottos, dhal, black beans etc. I am getting anxious about the pot though - this is our second one, and there's lots of scuffs on the inside surface even though we never use anything sharp in there. It's like the cheapest non-stick frypans. I need to figure out if we're ingesting anything we shouldn't be. I'd love just the same with a ceramic or steel pot.

Purchased in May 2013.

Hi Ruthp,
Thank you for the review, I will pass your thoughts on.

Teresa

TeresaPerth, WA

Devastated!!

Purchased in August 2018.

Hi Teresa,
So sorry to hear of this. Please contact Sunbeam on 1300 881 861 and we can assist your further. Please have your purchase receipt with you. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Lisa

LisaPerth, WA

Great slow cooker, poor quality coating on pan.

I love this slow cooker and have cooked many meals in it, from roasts, to curries, to soups. However, the pan doesn't have a good quality teflon/non stick surface and although I take much care with it and only use non scratch utensils, it has scratched and has burnt areas. This could be a five star product but is let down by the poor quality coating on the pan. Considering the price, it should be better, no one wants teflon in their meals.

tjr

tjrSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very satisfied

Have not been disappointed with this product. Performs as expected,easy to use,has all features necessary to make using in a variety of ways simple and tasty. I am happy with my purchase have used many times over last few years with success and will continue to do so

Purchased in July 2013 at Myer for A$139.00.

Hi tjr,
Thanks for the great review! We love it too.
Kind Regards Sunbeam

Shelly

ShellySydney, NSW

Perfect for probably 20 uses

Love the concept of this slow cooker as I like to prep a slow cook meal in the morning. The searing function as well as the variable controls are a great concept.
I’m very disappointed however as the Teflon has peeled away from the inner pan despite my careful choice of utensils. Another piece of landfill! Such a shame!

Purchased in April 2017.

Hi Shelly,
So sorry to hear of this. Your feedback is valued and has been passed on to our product team. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Chad

ChadSydney, NSW

Love the product when new.

Love this product when new. The sear function ensures that you can seal in the flavour of a variety of meat, caramelize onions and then cook in the juices. Use at least once per week for a variety of tasks from risotto to slow cooked curries. Am now onto my second unit and it has now died. Will still slow cook but appears element has blown as wont even heat up to the 100 degrees option. Both units have died just after running out of warranty. Highly recommend the product but wish I had longer usage given the price. Very easy to use and clean.

Purchased in March 2018 at Big W for A$168.00.

Hi Chad,
So sorry to hear this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 with your purchase receipt and details. Kind Regards, Sunbeam,

Non-stick paint seasoning

My two year old Secret Chef has been fabulous to use, but after watching the paint peel itself off progressively, I’m so disappointed that it is heading for the bin. Tonight’s cauliflower soup is one of the first light coloured dishes I’ve cooked in it; and for the first time I’m actually seeing the effect of peeling - what looks like cracked pepper but is a Teflon paint seasoning. That’s it! It’s out! I have been the only user and have only used soft utensils. Why can’t companies make something that lasts.....!
Sunbeam sound like this coating is an ongoing failure from all these identical reviews. Wish I’d read them before trusting this product.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for A$150.00.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Mike, sorry to hear this. Please give us a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist...

didn't listen to reviews, learning the hard way

i am on my second machine after claiming on the 12month warranty for peeling teflon. the replacement also peeled, to buy new insert is $70. disheartened with the Sunbeam product.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Online Store for A$149.00.

Gretel01

Gretel01South East Queensland, QLD

Really Disappointed.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Online Store.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Gretel01, sorry to hear. Please return to store or give us a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist. I know this doesn't sound like the HP8555. I cooked lamb roast yesterday for 8 hours and it was perfect

TonesRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Cooking pan teflon peels

Have had 3 cooking pan replacements due to the teflon blistering and peeling. The slow cooker was great for a few months but there is a fault in the pans. We are extremely careful in the care and washing of the teflon surface. Sunbeam admitted there was a problem with the pans on the first replacement and after the 3rd won't replace it, which is fair enough. Don't waste your money, which is a shame as a good cooker when it goes.

Purchased in August 2018 at The Good Guys for A$135.00.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Webtones, sorry to hear this. Always give us a call if you would like on 1300 881 861

Liz

LizPerth, WA

Non stick comes off after a few months

Non stick coating started peeling off the insert after only 7 months. Contacted Sunbeam who replaced the whole unit because there was a long wait on the inserts. 16 months later and the coating is peeling off again (it was replaced in summer so has only had a few months use). Sunbeam are refusing to replace due to being out of warranty. Don’t waste your money on this product.

Purchased in January 2018.

Chelle_C

Chelle_CHunter Region, NSW

Hubby loves it.

I bought the slow cooker for my Hubby. He loves using it, you are able to sear and seal the meat first (no frypan needed). It is deep and holds lamb shanks with ease, the digital screen makes it easy to read. I have enjoyed many a meal with Sunbeams slow cooker

Purchased in July 2018 for A$150.00.

Hi Chelle_C,
Thanks for the great review.!

A SpeckSydney, NSW

It WAS loved, until recently!

Had our Sunbeam Secretchef for about 18 months now, and was using it weekly until recently. We love slow cooking (soup, stews), and the sear function, and timer, is super. We've had the same problem as the other reviewers though.
Despite only using silicone or wood utensils, the non stick coating is coming off in strips. We don't feel it's safe to use anymore. I've just read that a replacement insert pot costs around $70! What?! That's not reasonable for a device, even one about 18 months old.

Purchased in July 2017.

Hi A Speck,
Sorry to hear of the issue with the cooking insert. Please call us on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to assist you further.

A Speck

As per Sunbeam's suggestion, I phoned their care team. I was delighted with the response I got - they will be replacing the unit. Thank you Sunbeam (and Clare, who helped me) for excellent customer service!

Linda

Lindaasked

What temperature does the low setting on the slow cook mode cook at? I prefer a very slow simmer and it is always bubbling quite energetically on that setting. This doesn’t seem like slow cooking to me. Linda

Mark D.
Mark D.

Hi Linda. It appears that way, but it seems to work well. I thought the same thing, and I was cooking for over 8 hours. It doesn't dry out (with lid on) and I usually supplement with either water or stock out of habit rather than requirement. HTH

Gordon G.

Gordon G.asked

operating manual

Hi Gordon G.
Please contact us on 1300 881 861 and we can arrange a copy for you. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

DandJ

DandJasked

is this programmable- that is, can you set a timer to commence cooking at some later time?

A Speck

Unfortunately not. It's the one feature missing (and something we missed in an earlier slow cooker we had). It does have a "warm" function though, which stays on for around 4 hours once your food is cooked which helps.

Hi DandJ,
Thank you for your question. Sorry - he HP8555 does not have this feature. Have a look at the CHP300 Express Crock XL Multi Cooker. This has a slow cooker function (amongst many others) and has a time delay function that allows you to delay the start of your cooking so that cooking finishes when you need it.
Kind Regards Sunbeam

Skiibunny
Skiibunny

No DandJ it does not have a preset progam facility which is a pity. What attracted me though was the searing capability which I find to be good and suits my purpose.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives