Toyota HiLux MK7.I (2005-2008)

Toyota HiLux MK7.I (2005-2008)

2008 HiLux 3 litre turbo diesel

I bought my 2008 HiLux two years ago, and have been extremely impressed with it ever since. I am 6 ft 6in (198 cms) and find I have plenty of room to drive the vehicle for long distances easily. It had 299,000 kms on the speedo when I bought it, and it has now done 380,000 kms. In the past 2 years, I have been from Canberra to Kakadu and the Kimberly's twice and Central Australia 3 times. I have also been to the Flinders Ranges twice.
I have had a 130 l tank fitted, a bull bar, 2 in lift, and in the 80,000 kms I have driven, the vehicle has never let me down at all. One puncture in 80,000 kms. On one occasion, I drover from Broome (WA) to Canberra in 5 days, and I did relatively easily.
Fantastic vehicle - service it regularly, don't thrash it, and it will last forever

Purchased in August 2017 at Private Sale.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Toyota vehicles are better

We only own Toyota vehicles for work and personal use at this time and will only buy Toyota vehicles in the near future!
We find they are more reliable and last a lot longer without repairs or replacing broken items!
They just seem to be better quality and more reliable over a long period of time than other brand vehicles!
Melville Lock Service highly recommend Toyota hilux and other Toyota vehicles!
Mark Berkovic
Melville Lock Service

Date PurchasedJan 2000

Review of our 4 wheel drive

We got this 4 wheel drive vehicle last year and it’s great but the leg room is good but one of our 12v sockets don’t work in the Vehicle and we have a tow ball for towing our camper van and a stability control in 4 wheel drive as well and 6 cd stacker player with fm and am radio and good room in back of the 4 wheel drive to put our shopping into and good leg room.and
Seat belts in back are sometimes lock on me it’s annoying

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Tough and Durable

We brought the Toyota SR5 in 2005. this purchase has been amazing. The vehicle has always been a strong kicker, had a few minor hiccups but once repaired, no further problems. 13 years later this car has gone through hell being a fleet vehicle. and it is still holding strong, had a few tricky issues with the internal cab fan but again fixed twice and no problems,

This 2005 model will go on forever with expected maintenance for its age.

CabDouble Cab
Date PurchasedApr 2005
Drive4WD

I will stick with my toyotas.

Being a Toyota, it is reliable. It is comfortable to drive around town or on long runs, with a good driving position and good seats. The 3.0 litre turbo diesel is a great motor with ample power to tow heavy loads. We tow a scissor lift with no problems at all. The interior layout is good with ample storage and a great amount of cup holders, so you never run out of coffee! Mine has a steel tray and tool box and runs in at about 2350kg. It has a standard 75 litre tank and with city driving the fuel light comes on at 520kms.
It has had the usual replacement battery, clutch was replaced after the throw out bearing holder collapsed. It has also had the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced, but at 270000km, I think that's pretty fair. Mine is an ex miner and that comes with seezed bolts and a chassis full of red mud. I would recommend buying one that isn't ex mining. I made a removable roof rack for the roo bar and the rear of the tray which is great for long lengths of pipe etc. All in all, I love my toyotas and I would always stay with the brand, as I really have always had a great run from them without the niggling problems that seem to haunt other brands

Date PurchasedJun 2012

2007 SR5 - Issues

Purchase my 2007 SR5 hilux from brand new. Was ALWAYS serviced and regularly maintained. At 170klms it got the injector problem which stuffed the motor. Thanks toyota for providing advice on this as they always knew this was a problem as they have done recalls in other countries however they stayed mute and not even was I advised of the issue when it was being serviced. Otherwise I would of rectified the problem before stuffing a good engine. It also had issues when towing.. the automatic transmission would overheat and the warning light would come on on the dash. When you pay a bit more for toyota you expect quality. Given Toyota did not do the recall I believe their are morale issues with the company - why would you want your cusotmers to have to deal with the problem after the engine has destroyed iteself

TransmissionAutomatic

Clutch, gearbox and differential design problems.

It seems that 250, 000 kms is when the manual gearbox and differential fail, no matter how gently you drive and service them according to any 4WD wrecker that you ask. I used to race and service my own car, so I have great respect for servicing and treating the mechanicals with respect while driving, because it cost's a crap load of $ being ignorant. Guess what, with the best synthetic oils and friction modifiers that Group A teams use, the rear differential pinion spacer still collapsed with all towing, and the gearbox wined like an ex wife.
Spoke to a lot of 4wd wreckers for parts and they all said it's a common problem with Hilux's, get over it because it's a crap design for the gearbox and differential with cheap parts used in manufacture.
Unbreakable? Lie! What a poorly designed vehicle that just perpetuates the spare parts $ cycle for Toyota.

Would I purchase another Hilux? No hope in hell.

TransmissionManual
As an addendum, I would like to add that at 250 K ( all highway at a 1000km / week) I replaced the injectors because the neighbours could hear me coming from 5 km away and the performance and fuel economy was lousy and I was worried that the motor was stuffed. I used diesel engine oil flush prior to every oil replacement ( which probably saved my engine from exploding due to oil starvation because the pick up was blocked with carbon), but when I pulled the injectors they all had the original copper seals from OEM installation, and 3 seats were burnt and leaking. What was more disconcerting was when I went to lift the rocker cover. It didn't want to budge, then it let go with an almighty crack as the OEM seal broke. Thanks Ballarat Toyota for religiously removing the injectors, replacing the injector seats with the upgraded ones when the injectors were reinstalled, AFTER you removed the rocker cover to measure the valve clearances every 40 K. All of which I was charged extra for but was never done in 250 km. I wrote an email to both the dealer principle and cc'd Toyota expressing my disappointment at being charged for service items that were never performed that placed my vehicle and investment at great risk, but predictably, never received a reply. If you have a 40Km interval service done on your Hilux then ask to see the written and recorded valve clearance check as is required and that you are paying for. No written record of valve clearances then refuse to pay for items not performed. I have pretty good mechanical skills and now service my own vehicle but I feel sorry for those that rely on Toyota's indifferent dealership servicing, not to mention damage performed, ie a rounded front diff plug after I drove through a river and asked them to replace all the driveline fluids as a precaution, and paid for, only to discover that some clown had not only rounded off the front diff plug, but had then taken a cold chisel to it to try and remove it, albeit unsuccessfully. Spare parts and a mechanic thought it was funny. I wouldn't trust any Toyota dealership to be honest enough to charge for sharpening a pencil and get it right, let alone servicing my vehicle and investment and charging me for tasks never performed or performed in such a way that damages my vehicle and then says nothing. Would I purchase another Toyota? Not a hope in hell !!

toyota hilux v6 4.0 litre

have owned this hilux for the past 9 years and will never ever buy another ute ,only Toyota this ute is a beast has never ever broken down I have done 670,000km and still goes as new never changed clutch , I got no words for the hilux v6 4.0.l such a good ute its a 5 speed manual I use Castrol magnetic oil 10/40 the only problem that I have is the clutch bearing is bit noisy when I realise the clutch pedal but this has been happening for the past 7 years so I don't care it keeps up with v8 this ute is amazing

CabSingle Cab
DriveRWD

Was reliable until the motor ceased

I've always been a Toyota man and have had a mix of hilux' and hi-ace's. I owned a 2007 turbo diesel 2x4 hilux, I bought it from a Toyota dealer with 170,000km on the clock. The car was serviced regularly and maintained, it was reliable and drive well up until it hit 200,000km where it decided to cease up on me in the middle of the freeway. The mechanic told me it was from the injectors that leaked and cause the oil sump pickup to clog. Apparently this is a common problem in the 05-07 turbo diesel hilux 's. Since Toyota have moved their manufacturing to Thailand these cars have lost all their reliability and quality. I will never own another Post 2005 hilux again. stay away from the turbo diesels.

CabDouble Cab

Unbreakable workhorse

I've owned a lot of cars, but my 2005 Hilux SR with optional tradepack, would have to be the best so far. The 5 speed auto is a peach & mated to the 4ltr V6, torque & power are perfectly matched for fuel economy, good interior, ample leg room. It has travelled 245,000Km & is as tight as the day it rolled off the line. I'll keep this one, I don't see the need to replace it. If you're looking for a good reliable, comfortable & practical ute, this is the one.

CabSingle Cab

2006 series hilux 4wd not a patch on earlier models

I totally agree with 'FED UP' - my experience over the last 8 years has been that Toyota customer support is all but non existant. I had a stick penetrate through a rubber seal/grommet in the floor of my new Hilux 4WD, one month from new and the first time on a dirt road. It penetrated to the height of the rear passenger seat where my 11 yo son had been sitting 15 mins prior. This was a serious incident and very much a 'near miss'. Toyota did not want to know me and basically shut down any communication with me.
On the vehicle generally, it does not even compare to my earlier 1992, 2.8L diesel model which was a great vehicle on / off road.
The 2006 model is a totally different vehicle - different engine, gearbox, clutch, suspension, clearance / everything. The 3L turbo engine is nice on the road, better on hills towing a boat or trailer but that is about it. The clutch leaves a lot to be desired - sluggish and requires extra revs just to get out of the driveway. Try taking off on a hill with a load and you have to rev the guts out the vehicle and ride the clutch to get it to respond, and thats been the case since new. Clearance at the front end and body line between the wheels is rubbish and does not compare to earlier models - therefore hopless in any half serious off raod scenario. The gear box is also much higher geared and does not 'crawl' like the old vehicle. I have bottomed so many times I have no confidence in it. The 1992 model never bottomed out in 14 years. Two recvalls since new, including the spiral cable (airbags) highlights other issues. At 105,00klms the Alternator died ($900) and when I was having that replaced they found the water pump was almost gone as well (another $900). Twelve months later at 125,000klms and the clutch has died (quote approx $1,200). So much for the "unbreakable Hilux". Toyota have lost their edge and need to listen to the Customer, their comments and complaints and provide some "real" after market service and support. And of course now they are leaving Australia - time for Australians to leave Toyota I say and I have been a Toyota supporter for a long time, but not a blind supporter.

Unbreakable

I have v6 2006 oct series. hit 300000 kms and have only just changed suspension and springs, im a roofer and has never let me down. mind you I wish Toyota would sell upgraded hilux rather than me having to go to all the trouble of shopping around for accessories. have driven all other types of utes and found them to be rubbish, but lets face it, you will always come across lemons in every make and model, I susppose I was just lucky

Engine Size3.4L V6 Petrol

Extremely durable

I am a miner in northern Sweden. We drive mostly Toyota hilux in underground mining to get to workplaces and for service personnel etc. These cars stay underground almost all the time, and we are doing 5-shifts at my workplace. This means that each car has up to 25 different drivers. They run on gravel roads 1000 meter underground in extremely dirty and hard conditions. The slopeways incline 10%. There is never any problems with the hiluxes in our workplace. many of us drive them like they are stolen.

Sad hilux

I have a 2005 turbo hilux sr5 automatic it's a good truck. But I'm having trouble with it . It stalls at lights it stalls when you are driving slow. You can tell it's about to do it. It gets real rattley and stops it starts up straight away but sometimes you can go for weeks with out a problem .and then it's starts playing up again do anyone know what's wrong with it.
It's a good handling 4wd on road and off road
The air bag light stays on and it rattles on startup and it's stalling

Reliable

I've had this Hilux from new in late 05 and it's only been back to the dealer once for a recall. The biggest problem with it was the dash clock falling into the dashboard when adjusting it. Oh yes, and the fuel economy isn't great. The 2.7 motor started off at 13l/100km new around town and now it's around 12.2.
Basic, easy to service, comfortable bucket seat, powerful enough.

Engine Size2.7L Petrol

For Work or Play

I purchased my 2005 V6 Auto Hilux about 18 months ago with 80000klms, don't let every one tell you that they are thirsty compared to the diesel, it is smooth, quite and not smelly or messy at the fuel bowser and a pleasure to drive, the economy depends on how you drive it, at over $7500 for a diesel injector pump I will stick to a petrol any day, I have also done a fair bit of towing, I love the 5 speed Auto it's a breeze,
Smooth Auto, Powerful V6, Resale Value,
Not as good off-road Standard as there use to be,

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
I totally agree,the 4.0v6 is totally underated as a engine,there absolutly brilliant,I own a d4d hilux now and it is a good performer,but it doesnt go aswell as my old 4.0 litre prado,this thing would go like a scalded cat and the fuel economy was good for a 2 ton car,theres very little difference between the d4d hilux and v6 petrol prado.

Diesel injectors bad

Bought new late 2007 manual 2 WD for work and has been great. Had to change rubbish 15'' wheels for 19'' at the dealer which transformed the handling from awful to excellent. Gearbox,power,clutch all good.Can take hands off steering wheel at 100 kph and it still drives perfectly straight,tires lasted 70000 km. The big problem is diesel bye passing fuel injector seals and getting into oil sump. Toyota dealers refused to pay for new injectors, at 70000 km it went into limp mode and had to be fixed. Dealer replaced injector seals but still sounded like a old tractor and charged me over $500 bucks. The rattle was so loud with cold engine it sounded like it was falling apart. I took it to a diesel workshop and they said ''oh oxygen sensor in air filter box dirty'' cleaned it and it runs much better. Toyota workshop was total rubbish on their own product. Lots of these motors blown up due to fuel in the sump making sludge that blocks oil intake and no oil to engine blows it up, needing new engine.
Overall a good truck, broken down once in 6 years.
fuel injector design defect that Toyota refuse to recall and fix

Engine Size3.0L Diesel
Hi there, thanks for the comment. Is the automatic petrol version has the same problem you mention with the diesel bypassing injector fuel and getting into oil sump?injectors on diesel not like petrol one. Mates hilux gearbox broke a cog and needed expensive repair at 160000km, they very lightly built gearboxes compared to the old model.

2005 Hilux SR5 4.0 V6 Auto 4 door 5 seat

The Hilux has done 270,000km, it was a company car I bought with 230,000 on the clock. I've owned for about 18 mths. If they had put tape over the odometer when I bought the ute I would have guessed it read between 30,000 to 50,000. It was used and grubby, but everything felt near new as far as wear and use went. I have had many cars over the 35 years I've been driving, and drove hundreds more (rentals etc) for work, this is the best high km vehicle I have driven. Freinds have mistken it for brand new.

I do my own servicing, and I often just lie there underneath the hilux and admire the perfect , dry, leak free undercarriage. That may well sound funny, but before I switched brands I grew accustomed to lying there making making notes about what needs fixing and in what priority! Now its an oil change, and a huge sense of relief.

The engine is super smooth, super quiet, docile when you need that, but with real overtaking performance when you need that. Unbelievable they are P Plate legal. It is brilliantly matched to the 5speed auto. Smoothest engine /transmission combo. Inside, the cabin is well built, and roomy, good sound system, everything as it should be. I have had comfier seats ... but they are not bad. ABS fitted and good lights.

All the gadgets work as new, total reliability, easy and smooth to drive, 11L ULP 91 per 100km, great car. I can't imagine parting with it anytime soon.
Smoothest of engines /transmissions, comfy, powerfull, spacious, well appointed, tough and well engineered.
Driver seat cushion could give better support, local spare parts guy starving to death :-)

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
I just bought a new sr turbo diesel dual,and in general im pretty happy with it ,I would of liked to have bought the v6 petrol version,but I went diesel for mainly just the resale value and they were doing such good deals on the turbo diesel models,I couldnt refuse. If any body read my review on the 2003-2009 prado,will know im a huge of the 4.0v6 engine,these things go better than most people relisethey go like the clappers and personally there pretty good on fuel for a big v6 petrol.I read some guy in Melboune sells a bolt on supercharger kit. So the V6 goes from 180 to 280kw and you need touch nothing else!Update- 07/2015 still going strong! only routine servicing required. Still averaging 11-12 /100

on my clock tells me 9.9 to 100k not true 12L to 100k .

Sr5 D4D king cab if I have air con on 13 .5L to ever 100k thats just me in the car driven at 60kl so were can I get 1 that cam do 8.5L to 100k .an I have trd chip fule saver on isit im driver 2 slow .?? Or isit the wait of the spair wheel lol .
I havent had any ploblems but eats 2 much fule
bad fule consumption 3LD auto thats just idealing around

CabCab Chassis

Awesome Toyotas

These things keep on going and going....Fix it if broken...then keep going and going and going, When they have broken down its due to old age or I'm to lazy to work on it....My 70s Hiace brought it for $800 had a head go on it, $80 bucks NZ dollars- fitted another head my self and away we went, sold that for $1500, brought an 89 Hiace used as a courier vehicle, Later I Upgraded to 1998 Model Brand New, Had that for 2 years my father ended up with that one and still has to date, In Mint Condition - Never misses a beat 350,000 plus KM on it. i missed that one so much i went out and brought a Neglected 2001 Hiace, Tidied it up, Serviced it myself and starts as soon as that key is on and the Glow plug light goes out Starts within 0.3 secs..Very Reliable. Now I have just brought a 2007 Hilux 4x2 3.0L Turbo Diesel Mint condition and Loving it already, Cheaper to Run than my 2001 Hiace but time to sell that now.
Toyota- Reliable like a good Old Horse.
Wish my New Hilux came with the Electric Mirrors, Everything else on it works great

Engine Size3.0L Turbo-Diesel
Its been over a year now with our 2007 D4D, done just over an extra 26,000 kms now, Excellent Fuel Economy, Just a bit Rattly Initially from cold under acceleration, but have read its quite common, goes away after 10 or so minutes, Keep the servicing up to date is the trick to keep these super reliable. Hello DonDodge I notice that you have said that your hilux has a cold start rattle, had the same myself, got toyota to test and turns out 2 injectors are stuffed, might pay someone to check out your engine and do a bit more research yourself, how many ks has it done?Hi Spud... Its done it from 44,000ks and now its 72,000ks, does a steady average of 11.6 Km /L Diesel mostly around Town, i now Run Nulon Semi Synthetic with Proma Oil and Fuel Additive, Not as noisy too, We went head to head against a 2011 Surf going up a 2 km incline and could have stopped for Coffee and a Pie before the guy caught up to us at the top, wondered if we had a V8 init or chip upgrade as his was exactly the same engine. Will get Toyota have a look at that though, I know the Manager where i brought this from and i also have a friend that owns an EFI tuning shop so will pay them a visit and suggest what you say here, will post what becomes of the findings.