Toyota HiLux MK7.II (2008-2011)

Toyota HiLux MK7.II (2008-2011)

Best car ever

Such an Amazing car, built tough
I’ve generally drive around 3 hours and day
Only get the car serviced once a year and I’ve never had any problems
Best and most reliable car I have ever owned
Would recommend getting the diesel as it does chew through petrol pretty fast

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Love this car!!

Easy car to drive and even easier to clean!! We bought the SR model as a farm ute but now i drive it everyday. My kids often eat in the car but because of the flooring I just sweep it out and use wipes to clean ot. So much easier than carpet! My favourite car to date!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

My rig is my life

Pretty stoked to drive my new hilux workmate home. She is like driving a dream and wouldnt trade it for anything else. . Plus it has ample leg room for the big fellas (myself.)
And good on petrol. Side toolbox attachments make it perfect for any work type you are doing and the most reliable ute ive had.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Takes me everywhere

Had my Hilux for around a year and a half now, have put 50 thousand kms since I brought it second hand at 170 thousand kms.. is my daily driver, has taken me through the harshest terrain up the east coast multiple times, Fraser Island, multiple trips up the vic high country, Birdsville towing a camper trailer.. has never let me down on a trip..

Only problems I've had with it is I did the diff bearings a few months ago and done an Altinator from a few too many creek crossings

Was also an ex mining car in its early days up in Mackay

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Drive4WD

2 engines within 122,000kms!

Purchased a diesel 2010 SR5 Hilux brand new. Had problems at 98,000kms. Took to local dealer (full service history with them). Told us starter motor needed to be replaced. Agreed. Days later we were told it was actually the injectors. Agreed to replacements. Eventually informed there was no compression in No 4. cylinder. Paid thousands for all unnecessary work done - in order to get vehicle back. Had replacement engine installed elsewhere. Got the second engine from a 2013 Hilux - 30,000kms on clock. Lasted approx. 18months. Now THAT engine has gone. No 4 cylinder again. Our 2010 Hilux has now done 122,000kms and has been through 2 engines. Both times it has been No. 4 cylinder that has failed. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts neither the dealer nor Toyota head office want to know anything about it. Have been told it's just our bad luck. Disgusting service and SO disappointing. Fully expected it to last till to at least 300,000kms. Can only recommend everyone forget Toyota and buy a Nissan!!!

Date PurchasedMay 2010
Drive4WD

Best ute ever, really is a tough unit

Had to write this review as our old ute just keeps on going. I am number one at breaking things but this car is still going. Issue with seat belts when it was new but replaced under warranty and no problems since. Looking at a new model but hesitant to part with this mud crusted monster.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

Good Workhose

I bought my Hilux SR from government auction back in 2011 and have had it for over five years. I have to say it's a very reliable and tough UTE. It's a D4D so quite save on fuel. And also we have been to many 4WD places like Zigzag, blacksmith.etc. So far no problem, just change of filters. Overall, excellent workhorse.

Date PurchasedSep 2011

Toyota Hilux

I think the Toyota Hilux is a wonderful Jeep I have the canopy on the back so all my dogs can travel safely in the back. I can also carry sheep feed in it its just a pity that the tail board does not lock, the four wheel drive system is very good.

Badge(No Badge)
BodyGreat
Date PurchasedMay 2008

Love this ute

Great ute, we love toyato's.They drive well, hold the road well, great to drive on dirt holds the road well. Dual cab gives you the room to put fridge and luggage so it can be locked and kept out of weather. Tray is large enough for big tool boxes and dogs. There is plenty of leg room.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Reliable

After owning an 80 series for 7 years and fixing basically EVERYTHING on it myself (yes, pretty well everything broke) I'm now quite mechanically savvy. I bought the late 2011 TD in January with 100k on the clock, it now has 110k and has been great, no worries at all. I've given it a service myself and it's easy to perform so no worries there. Just slide on under, no Jack necessary. I know the new Hilux and Amarok/Rangers tow 3.5t while the old go to 2.5. Mine's an automatic and gearbox seems tough because I tow a trailer 99% of the time (it's a work ute) I love it. Nice n simple

I do not like the 4wd though because it can only be engaged on dirt roads because it's not a LSD. . Which is stupid if you ask me. But I do like the option (80 series was a full time 4wd fuel guzzler but constant 4wd was safe though)

Date PurchasedJan 2011
Drive4WD

Cant fault the car, seriously reliable but not idiot proof...

Got my 3.0l diesel sr5 in Dec 2010 as a lease car, 13kms on the clock, now have 175,000.
Took it to Toyota for the first (free) service. Bits of trim inside and out were misaligned, guy rolled his eyes at me when I said 1 vent on the dash wouldn't close properly and i wanted it fixed or replaced. He complained that it would take a couple of hours to rectify, i pointed out how much was paid for the car... They fixed it. I then went with independent guys for all other logbook servicing til i bought it off the lease company when i did my own. I've run mechanical workshops before and know they WORK for your business! Couldn't see more than 3 mechanics at Toyota who weren't still in their teens and all 3 had clean hands and looked a few years off retirement...
Left everything stock til 140,000 km,
Have only lifted 2 in and put a 3 inch exhaust from turbo back, and a set of muddies on steels for weekends away. Otherwise still run the b/stone hts ( i got 140,000km from the originals and they make it handle like a car ).
Its been a pleasure to own and drive daily.
Issues?
I killed the speakers quickly, i blame Skrillex! Upgraded the whole system as i had erroneous results with the factory bluetooth. Slimline subs will fit behind rear seat if you like yr bass? :)
Clutch stinks sometimes? Towing and low range set it off, but its still going at 175,000km without touching it. I've done all lube servicing since 100,000 km myself, easy done with minimal tools.
It annoys me that the oil filter is positioned upside down as it always makes a bit of a mess...
Um...
Brakes (original pads) got shaky at about 100-120,000 kms, replaced with slotted dbas and new bendix 4x4 pads as this will prevent it re-occurring.
Fitted a snorkel myself, easy, although daunting putting a hole-saw to my pride n joy.
Berrima Diesel did the injector service at 140,000km. No dramas.
Look after it, and it will serve you well. I don't use synthetics, just mineral oils, and i change it all religiously before due.
Seriously cant fault it, heard all the horror stories about injectors, but if you ensure you change the fuel filter every 10,000km and only buy fuel from reputable servos, you minimise the likelyhood of experiencing it.
Backseat is pretty 'upright' and not very comfortable on long hauls.
Handbrake forever needs to be retensioned. I just leave it in gear when parked on hills.
Don't know that id but the new 2.8L, seems to rev more and i cant stand the look of the ass end. Mine looks good (to me), goes great for a utility vehicle and handles all the terrain i use it in (90% city and highway, 10% bogholes, firetrails and anywhere else i point it)
So why isn't it idiot proof? Well, on a relocation drive i stacked vacuum sealed bags full of clothes and linen hard up against a plastic jerry full of diesel that had no pressure relief valve. All tied down and covered with a cheap tarp. Bumpy Bruce highway caused friction between vac bags and plastic jerry, day was 40 degrees and not raining like i thought. Friction causes heat, heat on a pressurised container filled with fuel causes expansion... Do the math, or physics. I burnt tub liner and a new wardrobe later and that was nearly 100,000km ago now (thanks again Rockhampton fire dept! And whoever that kiwi bloke was who grabbed the can out of the back as I stared on in shock and horror at all my stuff being bbq'd). Hilux, its un-burnable!

Engine Size3.0L Petrol
Date PurchasedFeb 2005

Reliable Friend

Bought my 4x2 Hilux dual cab new back in 2010. I have just clocked 95 000 ks and apart from regular service ihave replaced straps on torneau cover. That's it , nothing else! Original tyres, battery. This car is so dependable. It has not even made a murmur let alone miss a beat. Also I enjoy driving it, handles tight has enough power for my needs as a painting contractor.

Reliable Friend

Can't fault her

The best decision I ever made!
Ridiculously reliable, running costs are much lower than expected given she's a V6. Handles as smooth as silk.

Legroom at the back is always going to be a bit limiting in these work utes but it's no issue.
Hasn't lost her value in the 3 years I've owned her (mind you I got her for a steal).
Never had any issues.

I'm using 98 octane Petrol for mine and fill her up once a month; depending on fuel price this normally sets me back around $80.
Interior is very comfortable and driving experience is exceptional in this petrol V6 model. She goes good!

Biggest lesson I learnt was to never sign up to a Toyota dealership for services however. They charge through the roof ($600 for standard 'capped' service and it wasn't even a log book service!) and with a Toyota, who needs their AFG roadside assistance anyway!?

Toyota Hilux SR5 shaking all over

We purchased a used MY10 Toyota Hilux SR5 from Downtown Toyota used cars on 2 March 2016 for $24000. The following events have occurred since.
1. Vehicle vibrated through the steering wheel and vibrated badly through the seats at 90kph upwards on the way home.
2. Next day had wheels balanced and rotated at an RACQ repairer problem still the same. Appears tyres are to blame.
3. Took vehicle to pedders suspension they advise vehicle sagged and all shocks need replacing.
4. While attempting to fit rear seat cover noticed jack and tools missing. Lucky we did not have a flat on the way home.
5. On checking service book noticed a service was due about a month ago but not done (no stamp on book) Morningside Toyota said sticker on screen service done. Send book back for stamping and duly stamped by Morningside Toyota.
6. Noticed while checking oil that a Ryco oil filter is fitted why would Toyota use an aftermarket part rather than
their own part - was service really done.
7. Vehicle taken to Sunshine Toyota near our home on the Sunshine Coast who rebalance and rotate wheels to best position on vehicle. Shake is improved but ride is lumpy. They advised the tyres are in runout and nothing more can be done. Pity I cannot rotate them.
8. Toyota Morningside advise matter has been discussed with senior management the tyres will remain on the vehicle no further action will be taken. We will just have to put up with the shaking and rough ride.
9. Today I noticed the brakes making a scraping noise when being applied is something else about to go wrong.
Don't buy a car from Downtown Toyota they do not care about customer concerns once the car is sold.
I nearly forgot that despite requests for the paperwork they forgot to give me I still only have a copy of the roadworthy certificate.
You may think you are safe buying a Toyota from a so called reputable Toyota dealer, PLEASE think again before buying a used car from Morningside Toyota.

Clutch problems

Had problems with clutch at 10000 km ,replaced, then 40000km replaced then 60000 replaced
Every service complained about clutch was told at duddo Toyota it was my mats which were Toyota mats .fogged off with all kinds of story's . Then went to singleton Toyota with 104000km needed a new clutch .this time had to pay $1700 for the repair , so I asked ok it out of warranty what the problem with this hilux was told in a very aggressive manner that it's all my fault and I had to put the hilux I low range to take off and if I had brought this hilux at singleton Toyota they would not fix one clutch .so I pointed to the traffic lights outside and said so I have to put the hilux in to low range when I leave here . The answer was YES
I asked could I have that in writing he just walked off,
Yes it could have been my fault but I don't ride the clutch,
Yes I am a farmer in the outback but this hilux was my family car not used on farm
Yes. I have towed a trailer yes I have loaded the tray back with stuff it's a f ing hilux tray back it a Toyota tow bar ,out of the 104000km it would have had a load on it in total at the most 10000km
Com pair that to the 2000 triton that is used on farm no flogged on farm its pulled tractor been bogged to the eye balls A stump knocked the speedo cable off at 190589km that was 5year ago
AndYES it's still got the same clutch came with
Unbreakable hilux unbuyable hilux more like it

Drive4WD

Initial disaster, but then years of reliability, stayed away from Toyota "service"

Dual fuel 2009 V6 Auto SR tray. Intially had valve seat/guide problems (5k on petrol, then gas, screwed in 10k) Toyota bailed naturally, recieved great support from the gas workshop (AG Autogas, Lilydale). Heads redone and have been running for 400,000kms. After some early run ins with Toyota dealer service (they really do treat their customers like idiots, and they are for staying I guess) I used independent shops and started doing basics myself, with good results.

The truck itself has been very strong (regularly taking 900kg + loads) with no issues. The auto has been strong and reliable but has also been serviced regularly. AC is quite strong and is comfortable even on a 40C day. Driving experience is more car like than the Triton or Navara.

Only major negative is heavy consumption on petrol. You would think that with modern FI and modern auto they would have got more out of it. Unloaded mileage at 13klm/100klm is really sub standard. Found the bluetooth on the standard radio to be functionally useless (connected fine but quality so low it wasnt usable). Ended up using the bluetooth on the GPS instead.

Hulux disappointment

Yes Paul I'm not wrapped with the icon Hulux aswell. 15years ago I owed a old hulux and could not break it, So after this good experience I thought I'd buy a new 2010 rig to follow suit, well after multiple trips back to its original dealer at Surf Toyota listening to lies and putting up with poor service regarding its hands free sounding like it's in a toilet and getting told 'you only have bought a SR' I said 'no I've paid 50k for this car!!'
So a few years passed while being very disappointed with other dodgy items like bending step treads, my tray quality etc.. I was driving on a 2hr trip and noted the engine light on but the temperature gauge ONLY reading halfway ........ So I pulled over straight away! Later finding out I'm up for a new donk ...12k later Apparently due to a air lock. (Why wouldn't hulux have a better warning system in it when it gets that hot, other makes do) I am still having issues with this model, so I'm done with hulux .
I remember getting told by a young salesperson at Surf Toyota 'Toyota is the best motor car in the world' I think when someone thinks they are the best that's when they start to fail.

Extremely Dissapointed

I am a landscaper & in 2008 after having several Ford Couriers with no problems I decided to go for what I thought would be the best vehicle on the market at the time being a top of the range Hilux SR5 4x4. I purchased the vehicle new & have never had any issues up until about 12 months ago when the engine rattle on startup became excessively loud. I took the car to the local Toyota dealer in Wyong who told me there was a computer upgrade to significantly reduce this rattle. I had this done at my expense, at the time the car had 160,000kms. The upgrade did very little to reduce this rattle. About a week ago I had just left my property enroute to a funeral when the car started to blow excessive smoke and run very rough. I immediately stopped the vehicle & had it towed to the local Toyota dealer in Wyong.

At the time the car had 210,00kms has been regularly serviced as per the service book. After several days & a cost of $506- they told me the no 1 cylinder piston was cracked & the engine needed to be replaced. The upshot was $13,500- for a whole brand new engine or $12,600- for a short engine. I could not believe it. There are multiple complaints/concerns re the D4D engines not just in the hilux but also the Prado. I know of at least 2 other people in the area that have had costly injector repairs on their D4D engines. The dealer told me fuel quality is the problem. If that is the case why then do we not see Holdens, Nissans, Mitsubishis, etc with the same issues. Clearly Toyota does not wish to address this problem for whatever reason. I would have expected more than 210,000kms from a Toyota dieseI, obviously Toyota quality in this area has declined. I have owned & driven Toyotas all my life because of their quality & reliability. Sadly I will NEVER buy or recommend another hilux or prado diesel because of this issue.

D4D engine/injector issues

BadgeSR5
I bought 2009 SR5. Had to have 2 injectors replaced within 4 weeks of owning the car which had 70,000 ks. I paid an extra $500.00 to have a secondary fuel filter installed....Now the damn thing is rattleing just as bad........!!!!!The early model d4d's had poor quality injector installed from factory. the leak under the pressure of the common rail. My father in law is a mechanic. The rattle is from incorrect amounts of fuel in the cylinder due to the above. Push and push and push for new injectors under warranty this will save you down the track. Originally each injector was $1k, thus $4k per motor, times however many cars are out there. See why they try and fob you off....

2010 4ltr Petrol SR5 Dual cab 4x4

A great truck. Goes like the clappers. Don't listen to the diesel guys claims of poor economy, it's all rubbish. Mine gets better fuel economy than the work hilux which is a 2013 auto diesel. Don't even consider an auto if planning to go off road. Not as capable off road as my old GQ Patrol but way more refined. Cheaper to service and repair than Diesel engines. Don't get attached to the side steps or rear mud flaps if you're planning to take it off road. Why can't manufactures build a true 4wd? Needs thousands of dollars of after market air lockers to make it a true 4wd and keep you out of trouble. I'd recommend buying one & one that's been accessorized would be even better. Saving you thousands. Enjoy.
Great looking truck with heaps of power. Great economy from petrol engine. As good as the 3ltr diesel. Envious mates. SR5 options are nice. Heaps of aftermarket accessories available. Great headlights standard. Nice interior.
Poor rear end traction on wet roads even with weight in the tray. Clutch seems to smell at a moments work when towing. Standard Tyres are woeful off road. The rear step is flimsy cheap rubbish which provides next to no protection. A height adjustable drivers seat would be nice given its' expensive price tag. Drum brake rear end in 2010 .... Come on Toyota! Screams for a rear camera as with a canopy you can't see squat out of the rear, never mind kids or trailer couplings. The standard little jack is hardly any use off road (beware). People assume you're loaded if you can afford one of these. Needs air lockers front and rear. Makes an annoying buffeting sound at greater than 90kms with the windows down.

Engine Size4.0L V6 Petrol
buy a jeep wrangler rubicorn