Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ

Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ 2020 and Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ 2022. GX, GXL, WorkMate
Listing monitored by Toyota

58 questions from our users

Craig Jasked
VDJ GXL Single-Cab (2007-2021)

Hi, the gear changes in my 2018 79 series can be a bit clunky sometimes, like the syncro is not working properly but is perfect other times - depends on revs when changing gears.

Is this normal?

Shooter

Yes I think it’s normal. I have a 2013 dual cab same gearbox and have experienced the situation u describe. It’s a light truck gearbox not a sport car gearbox. The only times I hear a crunch r if I change too quickly or use too many revs.

thanks

Ibby H.
Ibby H.asked
VDJ WorkMate Single-Cab (2007-2021)

Hi guys I have a 2008 79 series single cab turbo v8. My car sometimes won't start it will crank not fire up or fire up then stall within seconds. If i disconnect the battery and re connect most the time does the trick but could sometimes take hours before it fires up and runs. Sometimes when I turn the car off and key is still in the ignition in the off position the 2 efi relays start clicking and sometimes the 2 glow plug relays aswell.. but will stop when I turn the key to on.. even the key out I've also noticed when I put my foot on the brake with the ignition in off the relays start ticking away aswell.. its really annoying I've swapped relays checked battery terminals checked fuses checked ignition switch checked immobiliser sprayed contact cleaner on everything and problem is still there please any help will be much appreciated

Ozybloke
Ozybloke

Hi ibby. I wish I could help but have no experience with this type of problem. My mates 09 79 series has been to 4 mechanics including 2 very reputable diesel mechanics, for a problem along similar ish" lines as yours but they cant diagnose. It can be so frustrating I understand! Especially when you/we have another mate whom has a old td42 gq that hasn't missed a beat' not one problem in 15 years that he brought for $1500 in bermagui, and we said he was mad to drove 6 hours to get it. He proved us wrong. grrr, goodluck with it mate.

Frank177
Frank177asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have a 2007 vdj79r workman single cab turbo diesel it keeps snapping the knuckle joint bolts I have used the strongest lock tight and ugger duggs but they still keep coming loose and snapping does anyone know what I can do? and why they do this is it a common issue?

Peter
Peterasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have a 2014 VDJ78 and I wish to scan the computer codes. I have an ELM327 scanner and use Car Scanner or Auto Doctor apps on my ipad but neither of these apps will find my ECU. Can anyone suggest why I have this problem?

towedhaulterryasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have asked before but have not received an answer about poor brakes on 2015 79 series vdj79 . I find braking is far better when I am towing a 3 tonne van with electric brakes, than without the van. I think the ute would have trouble passing a transport test.

Mike
Mikeasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

have a landcruiser VDJ-76 and has becomr hard to start eccessive winding required changed fuel filters and no change

Darren P.
Darren P.asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

How come when I turn off the Landcruiser it sometimes don't start for about 15minutes

Riggsy
Riggsyasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

What is the normal operating temp for 4.5 V8 in northern Australia had mine to 98 Dc for first time since i had ute from new ( 2013 ) seems way to high for my likeing but unsure if this is uper end of normal no weight and not towing !

Gai B.
Gai B.asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have 79 series, non turbo diesel, 2006, Speedo has stopped working, and suggestions on how to fix it. Can be Travelling at 90ks and the Speedo goes to 20 is then back to 90ks

towedhaulterryasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have a 2015 79 series workmate and tow a 20 foot van. The brakes on the cruiser seem very poor and on a emergency stop, with no van, are not efficient enough to activate the abs. what can I do to solve the issue.
Terry

Mrskmb
Mrskmb

i would also like to know why these brakes are so poor, 2013 vdj78r??

Diab0lus

Upgrade to slotted discs and performance pads. Huge difference.

towedhaulterry

I had toyed with idea but could not get feedback from anyone who had done it. I will now change the rotars and pads.
Thanks, Terry.

c burgess
c burgessasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

hi,have a 2016 70 series 4.5 litre desal cranks over but will not start,would you have any ideas please.
colin

Alex Eberbach
Alex Eberbach

talk to a mechanic I could probably fix it but I'd need to be working on it have you changed the oil yet? if not try that

Steve F
Steve Fasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

I have a 79 series v8, keeps losing prime when turned off, changed and checked filters and hoses. Is there a return valve that could be leaking fuel back to tank?

Brandon T.
Brandon T.

Hey mate I am a mechanic at a 4wd shop we have had a few with that issue mainly when left on a hill. All of them have had fuel manager type systems on them which was causing the issue. No Idea why but that might be a possibility we have changed the around to ethier post or pre and it doesnt change. If its just the factory system replace the factory hose clamps with efi hose clamps and make sure the fuel filter seal if good also check the fuel cap seal. Hope that helps mate.

Graham M.
Graham M.asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

What are the tricks in changing a turbo on a vdj79 cruiser Ute. How long should it take?

Jordan L.
Jordan L.

Honestly at my workplace. We find it easier ripping the motor out and changing the turbo with the motor out of the car

Graham M.
Graham M.asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

How do you change the turbo on vdj79 cruiser Ute.
How long should it take

Curtis
Curtis

I haven't done a turbo yet. Just finished a set of injectors. Not a bad job.
The turbo is in a right bugger of a spot., the bolts will no doubt be heat locked and would pay to 'mouse milk' or WD40/CRC them a day before you intend to start working on the removal. Id be interested in how you go.

Rr1331A
Rr1331Aasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

Car immobiliser turns on at random times And won’t let me start the car for hours sometimes , had two keys replaced and coded to the car , any ideas of the problem had it at Toyota and they couldn’t find any problems wen scanned

Diab0lus

Dead or dying backup battery?

Sam P.
Sam P.asked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

Hi I have a 2017 79ser cruiser ute and since new it cuts out when your driving just for a couple off second like it goes into limp mode and is getting more frequent have hade it to hand full of toyota dealers and made phone calls after phone calls to toyota with no luck as it will not bring up any codes so toyota are not interested any one hade this problem have replaced all the easy thinks filters cleaned censers fuel addative?

Hughesie
Hughesie

Does it have the DPF? ie VDJ 2017 Landcruiser?

Les D.
Les D.

Hi Sam
Did you fix the problem?
Thx Les

Greg
Greg

Does anyone know the answer to this problem?
I’m having the same issue now,

Tom
Tomasked
VDJ GXL Single-Cab (2007-2021)

G’day guys, I’ve got a single cab gxl Ute with 180,000 on the clock, I’ve found that when I reverse sometimes the cab feels like it’s jumping up and down, also when I look out the back window on bumpy roads I see movement between the cab and the tray headboard, wondering if there’s something wrong with the chassis or if anyone else has experienced this. Kinda hard to explain but hopefully you get what I mean

Clutch shudder?

Shooter

Check all the mounting bolts for tray and cab.

John S
John Sasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

Speedo is working intermittently. Seems to need a few Km of warm up running before it will register. I pulled the electrical cable off the gearbox and sprayed both halves with freon to clean the terminals, but no change.

Watto
Wattoasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

Is a 2008 workmate single cab the same as a 2010 gxl single cab. Just the bare cab

John S
John Sasked
LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)

2007 V8 Workmate. New starter battery is leaking 200 ma when vehicle is shut down. After a week it will not start. I tried pulling fuses to identify where the current is going, but without success.

See all Toyota LandCruiser 70 questions

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Toyota LandCruiser 70 VDJ (2007-2021)