TP-Link Archer AC1900 VR900

TP-Link Archer AC1900 VR900

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

A good performer that's easy to setup.

My IInet Budi was starting to play up dropping connections here and there so after a bit of research I chose the Tp-Link VR900. The setup is easy with most internet providers settings given in a pull down during the setup. Just follow the setup guide with the initial password and channel ID’s on a card from the box & a tag on the base of the modem. When it’s up and running you’ll have 1 X 2.4Ghz and 1 X 5Ghz channel (Your main network). The remaining 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels are the guest network and need to be enabled from the web browser interface. Your phones & TV etc can go on the guest network. You can change the channel names and passwords and any other setting easily in the interface, if you stuff up press the reset on the modem to go back to factory settings and start again. TIP: A text & No password with no symbols is easier for phones in the guest network.
When you are happy with the result in the advanced area of the interface you can back up your settings to a file you can store somewhere. TIP: You might want to keep a *.docx on a removable stick with your passwords on it. You will forget them. When you need them plug in the stick and copy & paste.
All good so far but there are two downers. The USB printer interface program didn’t work too well with my printers so I went back to wireless connected printers using the modem and printers WEP buttons. It doesn’t have a VOIP outlet which’ll have to be a $50 CISCO box if I go to the NBN.
Conclusion: It’s a good modem / router that’s easy to setup. It increased my ADSL speed with no dropouts and lost packets after a week. My VPN goes through it without changing any settings and my Virus checker and firewall are happy with it. More features than I’ll use in the manual off the Tp-link web site.

Purchased in May 2019 at PLE Computers for $200.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPiiNet ADSL
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Speed and wifi improvement

Bought this after researching good reviews, including on Product Review. Most the comments I read proven true.
In my experience, the wifi signal has the most improvement and I no longer need an extender. Connection speed got a bit faster by 2kpbs compare to my old Belong modem. Happy with the purchase all in all.
The unit does seem to run hot, especially the bottom part. There is no dropout so far and everything seem stable, no need for reboot.

Purchased in May 2019.

Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Best modem & router ever!

A great product from tp-link. Have had it for around a year and a half now, and it's a real performer. Great steady reliable connection and speeds. Easy to set up. Very light in weight for its performance. Aesthetically appealing. The 2.4GHz signal reaches areas of the apartment that my previous routers wouldn't reach.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Does the job well

Bought this modem as one recommended by my ISP and after reading many reviews which were mostly very positive and gave a high rating. First one I bought was defective - would not sync with NBN. Returned it to Officeworks and received a replacement - same model. This one worked perfectly first time it was connected. Full marks to Officeworks for their full replacement policy too. I have a larger house - single level but large living areas and 5 bedrooms. The modem is not quite in the centre of the house. We still get a connection at the furthest point away from the modem, and although only 1 or 2 bars, can still use a wireless connection on the computer in that room without any real problem. This modem is also quite compact compared to others with similar specs (Netgear Nighthawk for example), which is another reason I chose it. Got it on sale at Officeworks for a great price at the time ($199). Very happy so far.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Stable and hassle free.

Chose this device after returning a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 because USB sharing didn't work.

So far it has performed faultlessly on my NBN FTTN connection - no dropouts at all. File sharing and DLNA streaming works perfectly, and WiFi range is good - the D7000 was better, but the VR900 is still reasonable.

User interface is OK, but I've seen better, and setup was fairly easy on my Optus VDSL2 connection.

The 2.4Ghz band is only 450Mbps, not 600Mbps as stated on the box, which actually makes this an AC1750 device, not AC1900 as TP-Link claim.

Overall I would recommend this unit.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great all rounder

Had to buy this modem in a pinch when my previous died all of a sudden. With little time to research I took a gamble on this one. Features alone this modem excels with ADSL and NBN availability along with the ability to plug in mobile dongle for 3/4G wireless support. Setup was simple, speed is great and the wireless coverage is to the point that it's negating my wireless extender. Very capable device.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Brilliant Modem and great Price

This modem is perfect for both ADSL and NBN. I've tested on both thoroughly and it has been flawless in its operation.

The selling point with this modem is the WiFi range. It's over 15m and plenty enough for most standard houses. It's price is good as an <$400 modem, and whether you use it directly as a ADSL/VDSL modem or whether you use it as a WiFi Router, it's excellent.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Really good!!

Setup of the ARCHER VR900 was easy. Just logged into the router via the web browser, type in a new password, add your user name and password to your internet account and done! I'm on a ADSL 2+ package and first tried the VR900 by playing a 1080p you tube video on my laptop and desktop PC simultaneously, connected through wifi. Both Worked seamlessly. With my very OLD Tp-link N300 router, that was impossible. Now i'm getting the maximum out of my ADSL 2+ internet package. This Modem/router looks really good. Seems well built. It can be used as a modem, router or Both, which I am doing at the moment. So far everything has been great, but I will log back in again to update the good, the bad and the Ugly, If any!