TP-LINK TL-WA850RE

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps 2.4GHz Wireless Range Extender Wi-Fi Booster

The plug-in device is designed to extend the coverage and improve the signal strength of an existing wireless network. With 300Mbps wireless N speeds, Range Extender (WPS) button, miniature size and plug-in design, extending a wireless network has never been easier. What’s more, its Ethernet port allows the unit to act as a wireless adapter and turn a wired device into a wireless one.
With no new cables, within range of an existing wireless network, users can easily extend coverage at a push of the WPS button on their router followed by the button on the Range Extender or vice versa within 2 minutes.
Once paired with an existing router, you can simply unplug and plug the Range Extender back in anywhere within wireless range of the existing router, without need to configure again. The single Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices like Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, DVRs and Internet TVs. At the same time, the device can share the wireless network as well.
5 signal lights show the strength of signal the Extender receives from the existing router, which can help to find the right location to place the Range Extender. It was so easy to setup it surprised me.
Some Tips:-
• If buying online: Ensure to buy the correct power plug configuration for your region.
• Increase the unit height for better reception, use an extension lead.
• A neat feature is being able to schedule the lights to turn off. If the Extender is in an obvious place, you can stop the room from glowing blue at night.

Purchased in September 2017 for $39.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPInternode
ModemAVM FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7490
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Easy to set up and the signal is impressive

- Good value for the money
- Easy to use and the interface is very straightforward.
- It only took me 2 minutes to set it up
- The signal is very good although the only 2.4G available.

Allows sound to pass through brick walls

Tp-link Wi-Fi Range Extender
This works beautifully where brick walls block Wi-Fi signals.
With the modem/router 3 rooms away from the Wi-Fi radio, the sound now travels through the walls perfectly.

Its ok

Its ok and seems to do a little bit but unfortunately I am not using it it's for someone we are renting. I guess it does work as otherwise the person renting would come over when it does stop working - which it does. it is annoying at times to set up

Never thought it would work and it totally does!

We purchased this because our modem is at one end of the house and you can not get a good signal in our bedroom! Finally went and got on of these and now our NBN internet is exactly the speed they said it would be everywhere in the house!

Small, Simple & Superb!

I stay in a 2 bedroom apartment and had dead zones in my guest bedroom. This happened to be the perfect solution. Installation & Configuration is quite easy. I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Worth the $$.

This is great - setting it up was a little frustrating at first.

Tried quick set up with WPS buttons. Fail. Tried Wireless setup through laptop. Again, failed. Tried Ethernet setup. Again, failed! Unplugged modem/router, plugged into another phone outlet nearby (next room) and tried quick set up with WPS buttons again - worked perfectly first go that time! The modem/router is located upstairs. The extender is located downstairs (2 storey house). Getting good, strong signals consistently both upstairs and downstairs since installing. Watching videos & browsing on ipad when downstairs, no problem! Extender is plugged into an outlet nowhere near a tv, cordless phone or other device that might interfere. I think that helps. Walls are double brick downstairs, so pretty lucky. So far, so good!

Howdy all. My burning question about these things is: If I plug one into a double wall socket, will I still be able to use the second socket? I see so many of these devices in the stores, but they're all so wide that they take up the space that a second plug would occupy, rendering the second socket useless, unless plugging the device into a pass-through or an extension, which is not recommended. We currently have a couple of Netgear plugs, but have stopped using them for this reason. Our house was built a while ago and sockets are a precious commodity, especially in the bedrooms/office. This one looks as though it tapers in towards the wall, so it may be a winner... Thanks!

Would this work in my tin garage shed 100 metres from house modem, with garage door sgut?
It should. Use an extension lead to get it as close as possible to the house and as high up as possible. Consider moving the router closer to the garage . If this doesn't work then configure it in the house and then take it to the shed and plug it in. My unit is 40 metres away from the router, separated by a double brick wall and a fibro wall and works very well. If you still have issues then buy a cheap extension antenna for your router (if your router takes an external antenna) and try again. 100 metres is a bit far so I couldn't guarantee it. The metal garage is also an issue but not as big as the distance.My guess is that you might be better off with a more powerful modem. Will take a bit more space. Here in Melbourne you will find them at JB HiFi. But maybe try Jason's suggestion first. Good luck!In the pre-nbn era I had underground telephone cable wired in between router and shed. Then I could plug directly into back of computer- worked very well. Now with nbn I have cable as far as shed but the laptop has no plug for aerial cable. Will try a usb adapter to see if that works. I think the cable is high speed nbn type cable. Thanks