Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits

Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits Questions & Answers

62 questions from our users

Karen A
Karen Aasked

Can I turn a large vegepod into 2 x medium vegepods?

How many bags does it take to fill a large vegepod?

Tess

Not sure that I am qualified to answer this. In my limited experience each vegepod comes with its own accessories including cover which cannot be divided to make two. I used a lot of soil (did not count the bags). Overall it’s an expensive exercise hope it’s worth it in the long run.
Good luck.

Vegepod asked

Live in Canada what do people do in winter with the pod?

Stephen
Stephenasked

Is the cover for a vegepod temperature sensitive. I am finding the cover hard to install at 16 C. Does it become more pliable and stretch at higher temperatures?

Sandy baker warner
Sandy baker warnerasked

Have you improved from plastic fittings some reviews found the plastic fittingswere substandard

Del

Still have same ones so far

DAB
DABasked

I plan on purchasing the large size with the stand. I want to place it on a raised wooden deck. But I’ve read that total weight can reach 450kg. Any advice? Thank you.

Del

Get two medium place other sides of deck

Mayasked

What is the depth of the vegepod please?
I'll like to know as some plants need deeper base

Darren
Darren

Probably about 2 foot in the deepest part

Thank you.

Riemke
Riemkeasked

I was wondering how often the potting, compost mix needs to be changed or topped up. Mine has been growing greens for about 6 months. Everything was fine however, my last lot of rocket seeds didn't do so well, they look very scraggly and now they are being attacked by some type of minute insect. There are, what looks like, heaps of eggs on the bottom of the leaves and some minute insect that is crawling over the leaves. The leaves also feel a bit sticky. As I said, have been growing greens but was thinking of trying radishes in the hope of adding some nitrogen or ? to the mix to help it. Should I refresh the soil first? Any ideas?

Jenny d.
Jenny d.asked

How much

Leahbel
Leahbel

Hi. The medium with the trolley on wheels and a shade cloth cover was nearly $600

Karen P.
Karen P.asked

I purchased 2 medium vegepods and the stands. This was expensive, but I didn’t care as long as it solved my problem with the pests. I was very excited that I wouldn’t have that problem any longer. Well, I am very frustrated and disappointed because I still have a pest problem. Something is eating the hell out of my mustard greens. They were growing so pretty and every day, more and more is being eaten. I’m so frustrated right now. I spent a lot of money and still have the same problems I had before. Can somebody tell me why you advertise as pest free when it’s not?

Kylie B.
Kylie B.

if you grew them from seedlings, perhaps they came with bug eggs

Sharon G
Sharon Gasked

I live in Wisconsin, USA approx 44 deg latitude. have a canopy but wondering if this is too much shading. The pod is in the shade of a tree for 3-4 hours a day and wonder if I should keep canopy off except on really hot days for optimal growth?

Hi Sharon,
The canopy is not really a shade cover per se ... it’s the world’s lowest shade rate at 15% in farm grader mesh for that very purpose of letting in as much light in for veg as possible.
It’s a pity you have only 3 to 4 direct hours of sunlight but we would recommend you keep the canopy on as the benefits of the canopy (ie pest, weather, weed protection plus microclimate gains) outweigh any benefit of letting in just a little more light during 4 hours.
Cheers and happy growing!

Aida A.
Aida A.asked

Can it tolerate the heat in middle east? Reaching 50 degrees celsius during summer.

Hello Aida,
Yes. The water reservoirs below help for a start. Then you can also add the extra green shade cover. Vegepod UAE and Vegepod Qatar have already been doing very well throughout these temperatures.
Thanks.

Fran K.
Fran K.asked

Live in Newstead Vic. Does the lift up lid protect veg from Frost?

Chris Hancock

I don't have any personal experience, as we don't get frost in Perth. But from what I've read, frost forms in situ when the temperature around the leaf surface falls below freezing. So the canopy by itself wouldn't stop that happening.
However, the mass of water and damp soil in the Vegepod unit would comprise a heat reservoir, and the canopy would help slow the loss of heat from that.
So on balance, the canopy would help a bit, but wouldn't give guaranteed protection from frost.

Simon H.Vegepod

Yes the commercial farming mesh does indeed stop air frost in its own right. But even if super super cold frost you can get the additional hothouse cover (non permeable clear greenhouse effect) to add extra warmth.

Helen T.
Helen T.asked

Can I visit your site in Terry Hills? I'm Northern Beaches local - or do you only sell via other outlets?
I'm concerned about all the neg reviews I've read here! mould, putting it together, nuts bolts holes not aligned, potting mix, permalite - $ are super important to me - I'm not loaded!! argh! I was so keen
Bridget

Chris Hancock

Most reviews are pretty good, given the 4.4 average.
The plastic can warp a bit and muck up the bolt hole alignments, but I was able to work my way around this using a screwdriver and hammer and finally assemble the unit.

Simon H.Vegepod

Give all the negative reviews!? We have an average of 4.4 out 5 over several hundred.
The Frustrating Part of all this platform is that it attracts detractors and anyone with the slightest complaint whom for the vast vast majority
1) Only have shot from the hip and never engaged the company to work out what was wrong
2) only ever review the assembly stage and not the actual amazing growing of veg
3) much is user error
Despite all that we still have 4.4/5 which is a High Distinction.
Yes, you are welcome to drop into our Shedquarters and we will blow you away with truth and love!

Dave
Daveasked

Hi what is the length and diameter of your PVC pipes.?

Simon H.Vegepod

Depends which size pod Dave.
What are you thinking?

Peterasked

One week ago I purchased a large Vegepod, and immediately after assembling I filled it with quality potting mix. On day one I planted some seeds and already they are germinating - great! However this morning there is a thin film of what looks like mould growing on the entire surface of the soil. The pod is positioned in full sun. Can you please advise what I have done wrong or what needs to be done? Thanks Peter

Wary Consumer

I can think of 2 possible reasons, and maybe a bit of both.
Firstly, the potting mix itself. I've noticed that some quite expensive and quality potting mixes have visible mould in them when you purchase them; or the mould may show up after you've had the bag for awhile. This could be because of the particular blend of the mix, there's too much moisture in it to start with, or it's been stored in humid conditions.
Secondly, I've often had issues - including in a vegepod - with overhead watering. Besides encouraging disease in some plants, it promotes fungal surface growth in susceptible growing medium. Also it provides a perfect nursery for weed seeds. For this reason I try to get water directly into the reservoir. (I suggest 1x90 mm stormwater pipe sunk in each vegepod section and cleared of potting mix.) Wicking action will get moisture to the roots of plants, but the top layer of soil remains dry (unless it rains of course) - and largely weed and mould free.
If I was you I'd cease any overhead watering and give the surface soil a chance to dry out. But you may need to do more. There's actually lots of information about treating mould in soils. Here's one link. https://glowpear.com.au/blogs/farming/mould-is-growing-on-my-soil

Excellent - many thanks

Simon H.Vegepod

Any fungi (Moulds/shrooms/toadstools) or moss can only ever grow in overly moist conditions, full stop. And that can only occur if either:-
a) there is too much watering / moisture occuring or
b) not enough direct sunlight every day.

We would not recommend sending a pipe down and directly filling the subsoil reservoirs. Indeed we specifically avoided that in our design as in our humble opinion and experience over the years is that such is a 'gimmick feature' in smaller planters and simply " not required" in the bigger homemade ones, because:-
a) Mother Nature intended and indeed requires all vegetable growing soil to be wet sometimes. Sending water only directly to the bottom of a wicking bed encourages bad habits of not wetting all the soil from time to time. It will remain unactivated without such.
b) For seeds and baby seedlings, they actually need top soil watering to survive and flourish. Only once more plants become rather well established and with deeper roots will they draw from the lower wetter regions of a wicking bed.
Happy growing! :)

1Juliette
1Julietteasked

Do I have to leave the canopy up in the daytime

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Juliette most definitely not! Defeats the purpose. See our FAQ page on ge website.
Happy growing

Wary Consumer

If you're worried about pollination, it's amazing what small insects manage to find their way under a cover. Bees as insect pollinators are actually in a minority. Having said that, at this time of year you'll not get much damage if you leave it open unless your growing brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc).

rose
roseasked

where can i buy the raised pod garden on casters with lid

Hi Rose. Just go on to our website for whatever country you are in. Thanks

David Prestage
David Prestageasked

How much are the vegepods cheers Dave? dave-prestage@hotmail.com

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi DAvid, depends on the country you are in and what size pod you get and if you get a stand. Please see the respective Vegepod website for the country you live in. Thanks and happy growing

Cindy B
Cindy Basked

What is the price?

Simon H.Vegepod

Please see our respective VegePod websites for the country you are in Cindy :)

zoe.e03
zoe.e03asked

Hi Just wondering how heavy a full medium pod would be and if anyone has been successful in moving them around without damaging the pod? Thanks!

Extremely heavy. I wouldn't like to try moving a full one without a fork-lift truck (unless it is on a roller base, of course).

maplemich66
maplemich66

Buy the metal stand with wheels (roller base), lifting it is not an option.

Simon H.Vegepod

4 strong people can do it but awkwardly. Just empty some of the soil out first into bags or on to a tarp and then move the lighter pod as is. Thanks

Get an answer from our members and Vegepod representatives

Other Garden Maintenance Products