Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits

Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits Questions & Answers

41 questions from our users

jam359

jam359asked

Can you tell me the diameter of the drainage hole please? I would like to direct the overflow to another garden bed, using some tubing

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Jam, yes ask for the 6mm tubing. Please do a post of your set up on our FB page or tag on IG so we can show the world your work. Cheers

Pablos

Call Vegepod on freecall 1800 428 431 and you will find them most helpful as I did. However, as the tubing is fine it is subject to blocking up. If you water your Vegepod as suggest there will be little to no overflow. I think you may create more problems if a blockage backs up irritation water.

Feliseasked

If I buy the single vegepod can I add to it at a later date

Magmagee

Hi Felise, can be added but you have to forego few parts and purchase more additional items, all these add up costly.
If you make a single pod to double pod, forego the joining side upright panel of the single pod and you have to purchase two upstand panel supports (compare small and medium size photos) to make a medium size pod(that is 2 singles), and then forego single cover and purchase medium size cover. If you are interested to get a stand, forego single stand and purchase a medium size stand.

Cost comparison:
If you buy 1 single now and add another later date total cost, 2x$199 (2x single pods) =$398+ additional medium size cover ($49) and 2xpanel supports (say$40) + Small size stand ($69) + Medium stand ($99) Total $655 (this scenario small cover and small stand will be redundant)

If you buy medium size now (that is size of 2xsingles) $299+ medium stand ($99) = $398.
But what ever the size pods you buy, this is an expensive vege planting tub in the market.
Hope this helps.

Pablos

Phone Vegepod for advice. They are very helpful. I’ve have called on a few occasions and customer service is excellent.

Gary P

Gary Pasked

We recently bought a Vegepod that came with a spray system. What is the diameter of the input hose? We wish to buy an adapter so we can connect to our domestic hoses.

maplemich66

Our system Came with a quick coupler in a separate bag. The nail part was already attached to the spray hose.If yours is missing the quick coupler you should contact the company so they could send it to you. Ours is attachable to our domestic hose with no issue. I have commented ti vegapod however that the company should have three hoses in the hood for more evenly distributed misting. Good luck.

Input hose dia. is 12mm.

Pablos

If you call Vegepod they are best equipped to answer any questions and I have found them to be very helpful.

James M.

James M.asked

Hi there vegipod
love your concept and very happy with our vegipod..............
Only issue we are having is keeping the lid down when windy.
We live locally to your main headquarters on the northern beaches of Sydney and have had to tie the mesh cover down with rope during windy days as it has blown off on many occasions, or if tied down we have had the plastic mesh frame corners crack and split.
Our vegipod would be 3 -4yrs old and going great besides this issue.
Have you made any improvements to this system as we have just purchased a new lid.
If not can you pass on any tips to prevent this from happening to our new cover .

thanks Jim

maplemich66

Its a common issue, unfortunately, till they upgrade the lid with sturdier clips etc. Put the plastic cover on and fasten the cover with a bungee cord. works well and won't damage the lid. Good luck !!!!!

Simon H.Vegepod

Actually all you have to do is buy a bunch of extra hinge clips if you have super windy areas. We have many on the beaches and on skyscrapers and use extra clips to increase the hold-down. Everyone one of the dress clips on the walls is a potential place to put another hinge clip. You can really load them up so they are nigh impossible to pop open actually, hence you need to find the right balance for your situation (ie: the critical mass stage of the amount of extra hinge clips you may need during windy times vs the challenge of opening and closing easily enough during normal usage. You can get hinge clips at Shedquarters or buy online under Parts. Thanks

Richard I.

Richard I.asked

Some weeks ago a storm blew the cover off my vegepod and destroyed it. Every plastic joiner was broken and I have been unable to replace the 4 corner and 2 T pieces. Can you help?

maplemich66

Yeah I commented on my review that certain things should be of better quality. Duct tape or velcro...a pain but it will work, if you find them please let me know!!!!

Simon H.Vegepod

that must have been one hell of a storm Richard. Don't hear that often but we do offer very low price replacement parts on the website for you to pick and choose by part or by entire canopy kits.

If you are in a particular super windy area you can get extra hinge clips too and load up all the sides and front with extra clips to make an extremely strong clip-down force. We have done this on skyscrapers and the alps of canada for example. It makes it a little harder to pull up and down on your typical daily basis but will ensure no blow offs in extreme weathers at least. Thanks

Graeme H

Graeme Hasked

Can you still use the vegepod with the cover up, I planted cauli and broccoli in mine vegepod and the plants seem to be getting to big for it. Thanks
Graeme

maplemich66

You sure can. We removed our top when the vegetables got too big. We stored the top and will use it in the spring when we plant again. Enjoy your veggies. Hope this helps.

Pablos

Yes, but make sure to remove the cover and store it out of the wind. If you just raise the cover it is likely for it to be damaged by wind.

Simon H.Vegepod

cauli and broccoli should not go beyond the 2 foot high canopy. Leave the canopy down unless they are triffids or you are gorinw something like corn that will definitely go beyond the 2 foot canopy. If you open the canopy you are defeating a lot of the purpose (ie pest and element protection). Some people do use them for just seedling humidicrib propagation stations, but if you can keep the lid down then keep it down!

Valerie Withamasked

Hi

I'm in the throws of ordering a large veggie pod, stands and cover, so I have been researching customer comments. I am confused with reports talking about a winter cover. This is my understanding from product information: comes with white shade dome for summer use, and a separate purchase for heavy shade cloth dome for over 35 degree heat in summer. Is this correct? What is the winter cover? I live in the mid north of SA and we experience cold frosty winters and summers now sometime exceeding 40 degree temperatures. What should I purchase for all year round produce? My positioning of the pod would be in the backyard facing north west and in an open area.

My second question is regarding delivery. I have a TVSN account that I would like to use for this purchase and I'm confused about where the item would be delivered. TVSN have my postal and street address, but I live in a rural area 1.5hrs north of Adelaide and there is no home delivery mail service here. All smaller items and mail go to the General Store/Post Office close by.

Please answer my questions via either method below, so that I can go ahead and order this amazing product.

Regards Valerie Witham
valerie3@internode.on.net

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Valerie. The regular white mesh canopy comes with every pod. Its the cover you use all year round. It breathes, it keeps pests and inclement weather out. It creates a microclimate and does stop frost in its own right. There are then two additional covers that can be bought separately. A winter cover / propagation cover that is non permeable and acts like a true greenhouse to really warm them up plus a green shade cover for those really stinking hot 35 degree days to add some relief.
Just order on our webshop and the courier service calculates automatically and will find a way to deliver to you. You could even out your work address.

Valerie Witham

Thanks for your informative response.

Clare T

Clare Tasked

I'd just like to know if the pod is made from recycled materials?

Pablos

I don’t know. The customer service at Vegepod is excellent so they could answer this I am sure.

Hi Clare and pablo,
Most definitely not out of recycled plastic. Sounds good off the cuff but it’s great for making chairs or decks but not for food safe materials. Due to myriad of plastics that go into the melting pot you can’t guarantee BPA free, non leaching , food safe materials. Ours is certifiably food safe grade. It’s also super durable and the ten years plus life alone gives it great sustainability scores. Also not single use plastic so can recycle anytime. Grow Your Food!! Enjoy

MissyJane

MissyJaneasked

Hello I bought a medium vegepod but realised my space is better suited to a small size. Can I just set one half of the medium vegepod?

Cakemomma

im not sure you would have to contact vegepod about that

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi missy jane. Technically you can use the larts of the medium to creat a small pod base (ie one wicking base with less walls and same corners).
The canopy however is custom shape to size and all uou’d Have to do is buy a canopy kit for a small which is available on our webshop :)

Diana G.

Diana G.asked

Hi ..We'd like to put raised beds in an area that was previously used for parking and has an older asphalt surface. Would it be safe to grow food there? and would using stands be recommened to keep the veggies further away from the ashphalt? Also wondering if we should cover the ashphalt with gravel or something . Diana Gallivan [details removed]

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Diane, great questions.
one of the beauties of Vegepods are that they are fully contained and therefore not only prevent muck going every where but also prevents any leeching in of any contaminants from surrounding soils or surfaces. Thus you would be perfectly fine to grow organically with the pods directly on the asphalt or on the stands.9 out of 10 people do get a stand because it is such a relief to garden at true waist height.
Thanks Simon

John

Johnasked

I have just purchased the large vegepod and am considering growing veges by Hydroponics which these units lend themselves too very well. Just interested in your opinion of the pros and cons versus growing in soil. Thanks John.

Hi John
I used organic soul mixed with a good compost and some seasol after planted and grew from seeds and I love the vegepod

Christopher H.

Christopher H.asked

How often would you seasol?

Phillip O.
Phillip O.

Sorry. Christopher don't understand the word seasol

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Chris, standard Seasol is a soil 'conditioner'. It is wonderful stuff and great for your soil throughout the year (via mixed with water) at least 3 or 4 times a year. Note it is not a fertiliser / feeder mind you. Use seasol's PowerFeed to do that or some extra cow manure a couple times a year. Thanks

Dalibor

Daliborasked

Hello Simon.

I am considering buying a Vegepod for my wife, but the only place that would work on our narrow block is down the side of the house. However, as the width of the block is only 1.5m from the house to the fence, I wasn't sure if this would be too tight an area with too little sunlight, however my wife has been growing some things in pots down the side successfully, so maybe it will be okay. It does get light during the day, but is not always direct.

Also if we get the larger pod, can it be hinged and opened from the side? And if so, will the hinges support it in the upright position?

Also does the large pod stand come with wheels or only the regular stand?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Dalibor,

Most veg and fruit need at least 4 to 6 hours direct sun a day. However some leafy greens and herbs can do with less like your wife's pots. If you have 1.5m gap then even the large pods are only 1m wide and yiou would still have half a metre to walk by them. Or you could even line up the narrow small pods which are only half metre wide which would then provide a one metre walking gap. Choose your configuration! :)
And yes, the large pod can be hinged on the short ends. The hinges do support biut many people also use a 'prop' of some kind like a piece of wood to keep up firmly whilst working with the plants when opened.
The large pod only has a regular stand but many people have used two medium trolleys underneath (which makes up a large stand size), and only when ther is super hard, flat, smooth and level surfaces.
Happy growing!
Thanks Sarah

p'doff

p'doffasked

We have had a lot of rain 140mm in over the weekend how do we remove the excess water with out drilling holes

Hi p'doff,

I usually tip the vegepod to the back and hold it there with wedges and it drains out but I am not sure that this is the recommended way.

Simon H.Vegepod

You don’t have to do anything at all. That’s the whole point of the overflow holes at the 2.5 inch mark. When it is full it will drain from there

Katy B

Katy Basked

I seem to have caterpillars in my vegiepod. I have no idea how but I was wondering if there were an organic solution to this. Also some of my lettuces grew so fast that they went to seed in just a few weeks. I’m impressed by the growth rate but disappointed that there was a lot of waste. My beans however have produced an amazing yield and I’m still growing tomatoes at a rapid rate. Had huge success with my egg plant and cucumbers although they are taking over now.

Hi Katy,
Re your caterpillars, only thing I can think of is when it was open at some stage an insect flew in and laid eggs.
Use the internet and look up recipes for organic/home made sprays. Hot weather will make lettuce bolt. You have done so well.

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Katy, Also check the Vegepod website FAQ page. There is a bunch of info on grubs etc. Thanks SArah

Janine

Janineasked

Where can I buy a vege pod, is there a stand on wheels for the large model. Is it cheaper if I buy 2?

Hi Janine,
You can buy a vegepod direct from their website. I have a medium size one and I put mine on a table..

Simon H.Vegepod

Hello Janine, there is no large trolley but when there is a super had, flat, smooth, level surface - many people have used two medium trolleys to make up a large trolley. You can buy on our website directly or see the Store Locator page. Thanks, Sarah

Wilma

Wilmaasked

Is it necessary to purchase the stand or can it be placed on something else?

Simon H.Vegepod

G'day Wilma, no not at all. You can put them all directly on to any level surface (grass, decks, paving, on top of old garden beds etc). Cheers, Simon

Alyson E.

Alyson E.asked

If I need to put my Vegepod somewhere where I don’t have a hose connnection, will it affect the plants too much to use a watering can rather than the misting?

Simon H.Vegepod

Gday Alyson, not not at all. The irrigation mist sprays are an additional option. Watering typically occurs from
Rain passing through the permeable canopy or using watering cans etc. In fact I have several on a balcony with access to a hose and I still prefer using a can anyway as I like to spend time and enegae with the plants. :) thanks. Simon

Anibelle

Anibelleasked

My vegepod has been working well until today when it stopped misting on 3 out the 4 misters. What can I do to fix ?

Simon H.Vegepod

Gday there and thanks for question. They don’t just suddenly stop and several at same time for no strange reason. That typically indicates that there has been a flow of water with solids in it for whatever reason and they clog the super fine mister holes. Try using a pin to help flush out.
Unscrew the misters our of the pipe and try to release there too. If that doesn’t work Contact the office and we’ll send some to you free of charge (postage only). Cheers. Simon

Happy shopper

Hi Anibelle, Simon @ Vegepod answered before I had a chance, I have found their customer service to be excellent, phone them if necessary on 1800428431.

Vegepod just won the "golden spade" award in US

Nelly

Nellyasked

What is the length of the large vegepod and height?

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Nelly, the length is 2 m and the width is 1 m. It has 1 foot of soil depth but when sitting on a stand it is 80 cm high which is basically waist height. The canopy height is another 80 cm on top of that. Get growing! Thanks

CMO
CMO

The pod we have is 1 metre by 2 metres. I can't recall the height of the stand, but that information should be on the website.

Happy shopper

Sorry, we purchased the medium size, go onto the Vege pod website for info about the three different sizes. We purchased the medium as it only needs to supply enough for two people. And it does that beautifully.

Get an answer from our members and Vegepod representatives