Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits

Vegepod Raised Garden Bed Kits Questions & Answers

53 questions from our users

Sharon G

Sharon Gasked

I live in Wisconsin, USA approx 44 deg latitude. have a canopy but wondering if this is too much shading. The pod is in the shade of a tree for 3-4 hours a day and wonder if I should keep canopy off except on really hot days for optimal growth?

Hi Sharon,
The canopy is not really a shade cover per se ... it’s the world’s lowest shade rate at 15% in farm grader mesh for that very purpose of letting in as much light in for veg as possible.
It’s a pity you have only 3 to 4 direct hours of sunlight but we would recommend you keep the canopy on as the benefits of the canopy (ie pest, weather, weed protection plus microclimate gains) outweigh any benefit of letting in just a little more light during 4 hours.
Cheers and happy growing!

Aida A.

Aida A.asked

Can it tolerate the heat in middle east? Reaching 50 degrees celsius during summer.

Hello Aida,
Yes. The water reservoirs below help for a start. Then you can also add the extra green shade cover. Vegepod UAE and Vegepod Qatar have already been doing very well throughout these temperatures.
Thanks.

Fran K.

Fran K.asked

Live in Newstead Vic. Does the lift up lid protect veg from Frost?

Chris Hancock

I don't have any personal experience, as we don't get frost in Perth. But from what I've read, frost forms in situ when the temperature around the leaf surface falls below freezing. So the canopy by itself wouldn't stop that happening.
However, the mass of water and damp soil in the Vegepod unit would comprise a heat reservoir, and the canopy would help slow the loss of heat from that.
So on balance, the canopy would help a bit, but wouldn't give guaranteed protection from frost.

Simon H.Vegepod

Yes the commercial farming mesh does indeed stop air frost in its own right. But even if super super cold frost you can get the additional hothouse cover (non permeable clear greenhouse effect) to add extra warmth.

Helen T.

Helen T.asked

Can I visit your site in Terry Hills? I'm Northern Beaches local - or do you only sell via other outlets?
I'm concerned about all the neg reviews I've read here! mould, putting it together, nuts bolts holes not aligned, potting mix, permalite - $ are super important to me - I'm not loaded!! argh! I was so keen
Bridget

Chris Hancock

Most reviews are pretty good, given the 4.4 average.
The plastic can warp a bit and muck up the bolt hole alignments, but I was able to work my way around this using a screwdriver and hammer and finally assemble the unit.

Simon H.Vegepod

Give all the negative reviews!? We have an average of 4.4 out 5 over several hundred.
The Frustrating Part of all this platform is that it attracts detractors and anyone with the slightest complaint whom for the vast vast majority
1) Only have shot from the hip and never engaged the company to work out what was wrong
2) only ever review the assembly stage and not the actual amazing growing of veg
3) much is user error
Despite all that we still have 4.4/5 which is a High Distinction.
Yes, you are welcome to drop into our Shedquarters and we will blow you away with truth and love!

Dave

Daveasked

Hi what is the length and diameter of your PVC pipes.?

Simon H.Vegepod

Depends which size pod Dave.
What are you thinking?

Peterasked

One week ago I purchased a large Vegepod, and immediately after assembling I filled it with quality potting mix. On day one I planted some seeds and already they are germinating - great! However this morning there is a thin film of what looks like mould growing on the entire surface of the soil. The pod is positioned in full sun. Can you please advise what I have done wrong or what needs to be done? Thanks Peter

Wary Consumer

I can think of 2 possible reasons, and maybe a bit of both.
Firstly, the potting mix itself. I've noticed that some quite expensive and quality potting mixes have visible mould in them when you purchase them; or the mould may show up after you've had the bag for awhile. This could be because of the particular blend of the mix, there's too much moisture in it to start with, or it's been stored in humid conditions.
Secondly, I've often had issues - including in a vegepod - with overhead watering. Besides encouraging disease in some plants, it promotes fungal surface growth in susceptible growing medium. Also it provides a perfect nursery for weed seeds. For this reason I try to get water directly into the reservoir. (I suggest 1x90 mm stormwater pipe sunk in each vegepod section and cleared of potting mix.) Wicking action will get moisture to the roots of plants, but the top layer of soil remains dry (unless it rains of course) - and largely weed and mould free.
If I was you I'd cease any overhead watering and give the surface soil a chance to dry out. But you may need to do more. There's actually lots of information about treating mould in soils. Here's one link. https://glowpear.com.au/blogs/farming/mould-is-growing-on-my-soil

Excellent - many thanks

Simon H.Vegepod

Any fungi (Moulds/shrooms/toadstools) or moss can only ever grow in overly moist conditions, full stop. And that can only occur if either:-
a) there is too much watering / moisture occuring or
b) not enough direct sunlight every day.

We would not recommend sending a pipe down and directly filling the subsoil reservoirs. Indeed we specifically avoided that in our design as in our humble opinion and experience over the years is that such is a 'gimmick feature' in smaller planters and simply " not required" in the bigger homemade ones, because:-
a) Mother Nature intended and indeed requires all vegetable growing soil to be wet sometimes. Sending water only directly to the bottom of a wicking bed encourages bad habits of not wetting all the soil from time to time. It will remain unactivated without such.
b) For seeds and baby seedlings, they actually need top soil watering to survive and flourish. Only once more plants become rather well established and with deeper roots will they draw from the lower wetter regions of a wicking bed.
Happy growing! :)

1Juliette

1Julietteasked

Do I have to leave the canopy up in the daytime

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Juliette most definitely not! Defeats the purpose. See our FAQ page on ge website.
Happy growing

Wary Consumer

If you're worried about pollination, it's amazing what small insects manage to find their way under a cover. Bees as insect pollinators are actually in a minority. Having said that, at this time of year you'll not get much damage if you leave it open unless your growing brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc).

rose

roseasked

where can i buy the raised pod garden on casters with lid

Hi Rose. Just go on to our website for whatever country you are in. Thanks

David Prestage

David Prestageasked

How much are the vegepods cheers Dave? dave-prestage@hotmail.com

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi DAvid, depends on the country you are in and what size pod you get and if you get a stand. Please see the respective Vegepod website for the country you live in. Thanks and happy growing

Cindy B

Cindy Basked

What is the price?

Simon H.Vegepod

Please see our respective VegePod websites for the country you are in Cindy :)

zoe.e03

zoe.e03asked

Hi Just wondering how heavy a full medium pod would be and if anyone has been successful in moving them around without damaging the pod? Thanks!

Rotherham gardener
Rotherham gardener

Extremely heavy. I wouldn't like to try moving a full one without a fork-lift truck (unless it is on a roller base, of course).

maplemich66

Buy the metal stand with wheels (roller base), lifting it is not an option.

Simon H.Vegepod

4 strong people can do it but awkwardly. Just empty some of the soil out first into bags or on to a tarp and then move the lighter pod as is. Thanks

Valerie W.

Valerie W.asked

I’ve been following your products for sometime now after seeing them on TVSN several months ago. I am saving to purchase but not sure which size, which hoods to add, and to add wheels or not. My food requirements are for a household of 2 adults.

Simon H.Vegepod

one large pod on stand should be a good start Valerie if doing just your leafy greens and herbs. Get a second one if you want to do tomatoes, strawbs, sweet potato etc and other larger veg. Cheers,

jam359

jam359asked

Can you tell me the diameter of the drainage hole please? I would like to direct the overflow to another garden bed, using some tubing

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Jam, yes ask for the 6mm tubing. Please do a post of your set up on our FB page or tag on IG so we can show the world your work. Cheers

Pablos

Call Vegepod on freecall 1800 428 431 and you will find them most helpful as I did. However, as the tubing is fine it is subject to blocking up. If you water your Vegepod as suggest there will be little to no overflow. I think you may create more problems if a blockage backs up irritation water.

Feliseasked

If I buy the single vegepod can I add to it at a later date

Magmagee

Hi Felise, can be added but you have to forego few parts and purchase more additional items, all these add up costly.
If you make a single pod to double pod, forego the joining side upright panel of the single pod and you have to purchase two upstand panel supports (compare small and medium size photos) to make a medium size pod(that is 2 singles), and then forego single cover and purchase medium size cover. If you are interested to get a stand, forego single stand and purchase a medium size stand.

Cost comparison:
If you buy 1 single now and add another later date total cost, 2x$199 (2x single pods) =$398+ additional medium size cover ($49) and 2xpanel supports (say$40) + Small size stand ($69) + Medium stand ($99) Total $655 (this scenario small cover and small stand will be redundant)

If you buy medium size now (that is size of 2xsingles) $299+ medium stand ($99) = $398.
But what ever the size pods you buy, this is an expensive vege planting tub in the market.
Hope this helps.

Pablos

Phone Vegepod for advice. They are very helpful. I’ve have called on a few occasions and customer service is excellent.

Gary P

Gary Pasked

We recently bought a Vegepod that came with a spray system. What is the diameter of the input hose? We wish to buy an adapter so we can connect to our domestic hoses.

maplemich66

Our system Came with a quick coupler in a separate bag. The nail part was already attached to the spray hose.If yours is missing the quick coupler you should contact the company so they could send it to you. Ours is attachable to our domestic hose with no issue. I have commented ti vegapod however that the company should have three hoses in the hood for more evenly distributed misting. Good luck.

Input hose dia. is 12mm.

Pablos

If you call Vegepod they are best equipped to answer any questions and I have found them to be very helpful.

James M.

James M.asked

Hi there vegipod
love your concept and very happy with our vegipod..............
Only issue we are having is keeping the lid down when windy.
We live locally to your main headquarters on the northern beaches of Sydney and have had to tie the mesh cover down with rope during windy days as it has blown off on many occasions, or if tied down we have had the plastic mesh frame corners crack and split.
Our vegipod would be 3 -4yrs old and going great besides this issue.
Have you made any improvements to this system as we have just purchased a new lid.
If not can you pass on any tips to prevent this from happening to our new cover .

thanks Jim

maplemich66

Its a common issue, unfortunately, till they upgrade the lid with sturdier clips etc. Put the plastic cover on and fasten the cover with a bungee cord. works well and won't damage the lid. Good luck !!!!!

Simon H.Vegepod

Actually all you have to do is buy a bunch of extra hinge clips if you have super windy areas. We have many on the beaches and on skyscrapers and use extra clips to increase the hold-down. Everyone one of the dress clips on the walls is a potential place to put another hinge clip. You can really load them up so they are nigh impossible to pop open actually, hence you need to find the right balance for your situation (ie: the critical mass stage of the amount of extra hinge clips you may need during windy times vs the challenge of opening and closing easily enough during normal usage. You can get hinge clips at Shedquarters or buy online under Parts. Thanks

Richard I.

Richard I.asked

Some weeks ago a storm blew the cover off my vegepod and destroyed it. Every plastic joiner was broken and I have been unable to replace the 4 corner and 2 T pieces. Can you help?

maplemich66

Yeah I commented on my review that certain things should be of better quality. Duct tape or velcro...a pain but it will work, if you find them please let me know!!!!

Simon H.Vegepod

that must have been one hell of a storm Richard. Don't hear that often but we do offer very low price replacement parts on the website for you to pick and choose by part or by entire canopy kits.

If you are in a particular super windy area you can get extra hinge clips too and load up all the sides and front with extra clips to make an extremely strong clip-down force. We have done this on skyscrapers and the alps of canada for example. It makes it a little harder to pull up and down on your typical daily basis but will ensure no blow offs in extreme weathers at least. Thanks

Graeme H

Graeme Hasked

Can you still use the vegepod with the cover up, I planted cauli and broccoli in mine vegepod and the plants seem to be getting to big for it. Thanks
Graeme

maplemich66

You sure can. We removed our top when the vegetables got too big. We stored the top and will use it in the spring when we plant again. Enjoy your veggies. Hope this helps.

Pablos

Yes, but make sure to remove the cover and store it out of the wind. If you just raise the cover it is likely for it to be damaged by wind.

Simon H.Vegepod

cauli and broccoli should not go beyond the 2 foot high canopy. Leave the canopy down unless they are triffids or you are gorinw something like corn that will definitely go beyond the 2 foot canopy. If you open the canopy you are defeating a lot of the purpose (ie pest and element protection). Some people do use them for just seedling humidicrib propagation stations, but if you can keep the lid down then keep it down!

Valerie Withamasked

Hi

I'm in the throws of ordering a large veggie pod, stands and cover, so I have been researching customer comments. I am confused with reports talking about a winter cover. This is my understanding from product information: comes with white shade dome for summer use, and a separate purchase for heavy shade cloth dome for over 35 degree heat in summer. Is this correct? What is the winter cover? I live in the mid north of SA and we experience cold frosty winters and summers now sometime exceeding 40 degree temperatures. What should I purchase for all year round produce? My positioning of the pod would be in the backyard facing north west and in an open area.

My second question is regarding delivery. I have a TVSN account that I would like to use for this purchase and I'm confused about where the item would be delivered. TVSN have my postal and street address, but I live in a rural area 1.5hrs north of Adelaide and there is no home delivery mail service here. All smaller items and mail go to the General Store/Post Office close by.

Please answer my questions via either method below, so that I can go ahead and order this amazing product.

Regards Valerie Witham
valerie3@internode.on.net

Simon H.Vegepod

Hi Valerie. The regular white mesh canopy comes with every pod. Its the cover you use all year round. It breathes, it keeps pests and inclement weather out. It creates a microclimate and does stop frost in its own right. There are then two additional covers that can be bought separately. A winter cover / propagation cover that is non permeable and acts like a true greenhouse to really warm them up plus a green shade cover for those really stinking hot 35 degree days to add some relief.
Just order on our webshop and the courier service calculates automatically and will find a way to deliver to you. You could even out your work address.

Valerie Witham

Thanks for your informative response.

Clare T

Clare Tasked

I'd just like to know if the pod is made from recycled materials?

Pablos

I don’t know. The customer service at Vegepod is excellent so they could answer this I am sure.

Hi Clare and pablo,
Most definitely not out of recycled plastic. Sounds good off the cuff but it’s great for making chairs or decks but not for food safe materials. Due to myriad of plastics that go into the melting pot you can’t guarantee BPA free, non leaching , food safe materials. Ours is certifiably food safe grade. It’s also super durable and the ten years plus life alone gives it great sustainability scores. Also not single use plastic so can recycle anytime. Grow Your Food!! Enjoy

Get an answer from our members and Vegepod representatives