See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great but heavy mower

Very happy with the purchase. Starts practically first time every time. My only negative is that it is extremely heavy. If you’re after a robust mower that’ll last forever then look no further.

Purchased in September 2014 for $800.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency

Professional finish

As a property caretaker, I do a lot of mowing. I use my Victa Mustang over my Masport commercial because of the ease of transport (its quite light), yet very robust, starts first time every time, easy to service and easy to use for a professional finish on all types of grass and terain.

Purchased in September 2015 at Admon machinery for $600.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used: Daily

Razor replaced by Mustang

My old (16 years) Victa Razor with a 4 stroke Honda still starts first pull and has never missed a beat. Just change oil, spark plug and air filter once a year. If only was self propelled I would get another one. Catcher has never fallen off. Plug in hose fitting to wash underneath is very good.

Date PurchasedJan 2002

Quite disappointed.

Bought from Bunnings 2016-17 for over $800. Started first go, but as time has gone on, VERY hard to start. Great once it starts though. But my biggest complaint .... it cuts the grass shorter when I pull it backwards than forwards. I end up with two levels if I alternate the direction :( so I am basically doubling up on my mowing unless I constantly go forward, and that is not always feasible. I made enquires with Bunnings but the man there just looked at me like I was from outer space and said he never heard of this before. Also the handle clamps come undone after 15 minutes of mowing. My total mowing takes about 1 hour.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Big disappointment from day one ...

I bought my Mustang 3 and a half years ago. Always been so difficult - and exhausting - to start. And yes I do have it serviced. The most annoying thing is the plastic catcher keeps falling off. Any vibration or slight slope and it's falling off. For a half hour of mowing this could happen 7 or 8 times ... I am so fed up with it. I know it is put on correctly. The cutting is okay and the engine seems powerful enough. I paid $800 for it and I don't think it is up to the price. Would I buy Victa again .. no way.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Excellent Mower Always Starts

I am rough on my equipment. I don't mean to be buts thats just what happens. This has been an absolute trooper this mower. I have flogged it and it has never let me down. The only thing that ever happened - I broke the cable runner when I got it out of the ute one time but i just patched it up with a hose clap and it's been fine ever since. It ALWAYS starts, every time, even when its been sitting for long periods. and just reliably churns away doing its thing. I would maybe prefer a better catcher, I never like the design of that but apart from that I have no complaints and think this is a good model..

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Very Reliable Mower

This mower has been excellent so far. It never fails to start, usually first go and does a great job getting through the grass. You can go from a ridiculously high cut all the way down to tiny and it always does the job - even with very high grass. I appreciate the 4 stroke - no more stinky oil smells and it never blocks up the catcher chute. Its good and works well

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Good machine

This push mower has done a lot of work for me already. About 120 mows so far. I use it for commercial mowing. Only issue I've had is the handle bar clips open up while mowing, otherwise it's a great machine, starts first go every time. I highly recommend this model for home use.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Works well. Does what it is supposed to do

Its reliable, easy to use and starts every time. It is easy to move around the yard. Adjusting the height is really simple to do. I have a bad back and this doesn't take much effort to push it around. Easy to fill the petrol and oil even for non-mechanical minded people.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Impossible to start ....but there is a work around solution!!!!!

I won't rehash other reviews...I find this mower to be powerful and good at cutting once you get it started, which can take half an hour. The difficulty starting was noted when the machine was still under warranty and was temporarily fixed by the service center only to return after another couple of months.

There is a work around solution, a product called "Start Ya [word removed]" which is a starting fluid. It actually operating theater anesthetic, seriously! It's available at Autobahn for $10 a spray can and will last for years. Once you get your technique down pat it cold starts the mower on the first pull.

Here's how to use it. Place the hand control lever on "run" not "choke". Fill the tank with petrol, open the fuel tap, remove the air filter cover, remove the air filter . Spray starting fluid into the black inlet hole in the center of the air cleaner for three seconds (no longer!). Replace the filter and replace the cover. Pull the stater cord and it should start immediately. For a video demonstration of the use of starter fluid get on to YouTube, the are a ton of videos.
The technique for accessing and removing the air filter cover plate and air filter is different for every brand, which is the hard part. I wish I knew of this technique twenty years earlier. It saved this mower from going in the bin.
Happy mowing!

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Good and Reliable.

I have had a very positive experience with this mower. The things I like the most are how easy it is to start, always just one pull. The height adjuster is very easy to access and change. Has a sturdy chassis. The Mulch mode is very good with no discernible clippings left behind. Catcher also works well. The only negatives I have is it is a little heavy to push, even though the fuel tank has a big fill opening it's still tricky not to splash due the cap retainer. (plastic lead attached to cap). You also have to FIRMLY tighten the cap as it can come loose. Very happy with my purchase and would be happy to recommend it to others.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

When a Honda is not a Honda

Honda make great engines but not on this mower. The GCV 160 seems to be a cheap end motor from Honda Corp. From day one this mower has been next to impossible to start. If you enjoying pulling a starter cord over and over again then purchase this mower. Out of interest, I also inspected the cylinder with a borescope recently and was shocked to find vertical scoring on the cylinder wall. My mower is not that old and I change the oil very frequently and maintain it to a high standard. I would not buy one of these mowers again. My dad's old Victa is 30 + years old and still runs - I doubt this will.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Great MOA

Had the mower for a year now starts first Pull everytime ready time use good 2-stroke oil good fuel haven't had a problem yet I've had two strokes before old Masport one's been pretty good too can't fault it at this stage. One thing just turn the fuel tap off before you turn it off let the carb run dry and it will start easy that's what I found.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Better than previous honda

Had a few Honda mowers over the years and bought another one with the bag style catcher... it was hopeless.. traded it back in for this victory/ Honda combo.Much better but like a lot of owners here after a while it was hard to start. I found two issues...major problem is that the throttle cable slips forward and then the choke won't close. Second problem was i had left fuel sit too long in the tank unused.
Readjusting cable is easy... just loosen clamp and pull cable back until you see it contact and start to move the choke tab at bottom of throttle/ choke mechanism.Otherwise it's been an ok mower....just keep an eye on throttle cable slippage.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

You can never go wrong with a Victa

You can never go wrong with a Victa, starts every time, cuts thick tall grass, have had no issues what so ever. Sometimes it blows a little smoke when first start it but after that it goes away, not a deal breaker by any means. easy to clean with a hose and water which I do after every use.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great mower - once you get started!

I chose this mower for the Honda engine, which purportedly stars first time every time. Since buying it I've found, like many other reviewers, that starting this mower can be hit and miss. A few months in, after performing the basic checks I was comfortable undertaking, I gave up and took it down to the crew down at Sanderson Engineering (Osborne Park). The guys there are amazing at getting mowers, line trimmers etc back to peak performance. I can't recall exactly what they changed out (in addition to replacing the blades, oil, air filter, etc) but it's been running great since.
This mower can handle almost any length of grass, and some relatively rough terrain. The mulch plug works exactly as I'd hoped it would, and the hose attachment point makes it very easy to flush out any residual clippings (which usually accumulate if the lawn is damp).
Fuel consumption has been fine. I've tried to use only 98RON to keep it clean (as that's what I fill my car with). While there's probably little to no benefit in putting 98 in a mower, it doesn't use much fuel so there's also little to no cost difference either. I'd like to believe it's cleaner in there as a result, but who knows...

Date PurchasedOct 2016

It is helpful.

The mowers' cutting results is ok. However, you need to be patient when the slope is very steep. It is not easy to keep the balance of the mower. When the grass is long, the mower could get very hot, and need to cool down for several times when the working area is large.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Victa Mustang with Honda Motor

Great mower much improved with the Honda motor.i had a previous model and the new Hondas are great. Benefits of these mowers

- 19" cut
- alloy deck - light and mo rust
- cuts close to the edge
- smooth running wheels, much better than cheap mowers
- mulch ability

If you have a larger lawn area you can't go wrong with this mowe

Date PurchasedJun 2016

So far so good

Victa Mustang 190cc Briggs and Stratton 725EX series, (first photo red cover) So I got this early 2016, and so far it's been good. When I first started using it; it would start first go but when I turned it off it wouldn't start again. This happened about 4-5 times and I would need it to cool right down before I could start it again and remove the spark plug clean it. I thought it's a dud and wasn't to impressed. But after those 4-5 times it's never happened again, it seems like it fixed its self and so far I'm happy with it. The catcher needs to be put on properly or it will fall off, but saying that it's only really ever falling off about 3-4 times because I didn't push it right in. (They still could off done a better job with it) as my pervious victa never done this. Anyway cuts nicely, starts 1st go 99% of the time, probably over kill for my lawn but hey it was purchased on points from work.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Very happy with this mower

Bought this mower just over 12 months ago from a Victa dealer. The mower was full of oil and fuelled ready to go - it was test run by the dealer to ensure there were no problems. It always starts first time and I have never had any problems with the catcher falling off. If the grass is wet when mowing with the mulch attachment clippings tend to be left behind in rows. Because of this I use the catcher on wet grass and mulch when dry.
At this stage I see no reason why I wouldn't recommend this Victa to anyone in the market for a new mower.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

My mower won’t start Has enough petrol and oil but won’t start.can you help please

Hi I’m sorry for my ignorance but I’ve recently become in charge of the yard mantaince. I have a mustang 18 2 stroke mower with 2 blades. I need to replace the blades. Could anyone give any advise, please? TIA
sorry, mine is a 4 stroke with 4 blades

The catcher only fills to half way and then starts to spill grass out the sides. Just had it serviced and new blades fitted still not good.
If the grass is slightly wet it will become clogged before filling the catcher

Victa Mustang VMMX484 (4 Stroke, 190CC)Victa Mustang MMX488 (4 Stroke, 160CC)Victa Mustang VMMX486 (4 Stroke, 163CC)Victa Mustang MCA482AVicta Mustang MCA482 (2 Stroke, 160CC)Victa Mustang MCA484 (4 Stroke, 190CC)Victa Mustang MCA485 (4 Stroke, 160CC)Victa Mustang MCA486 (4 stroke,190CC)Victa Mustang MCA488 (4 Stroke, 160CC)Victa Mustang MMX484 (4 Stroke, 150CC)Victa Mustang MMX485 (4 Stroke, 160CC)
CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $749$799$749
Cutting Width190 mm480 mm483 mm
Height of Cut13 mm to 72 mm13 mm to 72 mm13 mm to 72 mm
Number of Blades444
Weight31.5 kg31 kg34.5 kg
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)4 year(s)3 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine Displacement190 cc160 cc163 cc
BrandBriggs & StrattonBriggs & StrattonBriggs & Stratton
Engine Type4-Stroke4-Stroke4-Stroke
Engine NameBriggs & Stratton 675EXi 190cc 4-strokeBriggs & Stratton 750 Series DOV I/CBriggs & Stratton 750iS 4 Stroke
Release dateSep 2006Sep 2006Sep 2006
Replaced byVicta Mustang MMX484 (4 Stroke, 150CC)Victa Mustang MMX485 (4 Stroke, 160CC)Victa Mustang MMX488 (4 Stroke, 160CC)