Masport Bunnings 490 4'n1

Masport Bunnings 490 4'n1

MPN: 578763
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Masport? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Efficient fuel consumption

• Relatively quiet

• Simple to start up

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Darryl G.
Darryl G.South East Queensland, QLD

Rubbish

I bought this mower in September and it started to get harder to start. I changed filter spark plug and fuel. I took it back to who sent me to a repaired, apparently dust got into the engine and its not covered under warranty. The guy told me he had a couple of other mowers with the same issue. There's obviously an issue that Masport our briggs and stratton are keeping to themselves. Can't believe i spent over $600 on this. I should have kept my rover that had been going strong for 10 years.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $649.00.

Robbieo
RobbieoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very disappointed

Purchased from Bunnings Oct 2019 and have replaced the air filter 5 times. Upon reading other reviews of similar engines, it’s located in a very bad spot just behind the front left wheel which seems like a design fault. Once every 12-18 months I completely understand but not that often. This mower also struggles to collect the clippings on finer grass so obviously it’s takes a lot longer to mow. The mower does start first time and runs really well but that’s about it. I do not recommend this product.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $599.00.

David D.
David D.Hunter Region, NSW

Good mower, until it rusted out

The mower has worked well for 8 years. Very reliable starting and no operational issues at all. However although the engine is still excellent the deck has now rusted out.

Purchased in December 2012 at Bunnings Warehouse for $579.00.

Divya
DivyaVictoria

Does a good job

Purchased in July 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $100.00.

Saurabh Kohli
Saurabh KohliGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Amazing Lawn Mower

We bought a Masport lawn mower from Bunnings. It is really simple to operate and the catcher has great storage. I use my lawn mower on quite tall and healthy grass and the lawn mower shows no struggle.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $400.00.

Kaz
KazGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Does a great job

This mower was easy to set up straight away getting it out of the box. I didn’t bother reading the instructions. Pretty straight forward. Started after a few pulls. So quiet compared to my old mower so that’s a plus. I haven’t yet used the chipper but I love the idea of it as we always have dropped branches on the ground. Definitely recommend!

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $599.00.

Peter C.
Peter C.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Good but some poor design features!

Purchased in May 2019 for $599.00.

Havoc
HavocSydney

Can't really fault it for the price

I've had the 490 for a few years now, never had any problems with it. I haven't treated it very well and its only been serviced once since I bought it.
It doesn't love long thick grass, but will handle it ok if you don't use the catcher or mulch plug. It performs well otherwise. The catcher is tiny and I never use it anyway, mulching is the only way to go if you have a big yard. On that note, if you have a big-ish yard I'd recommend something with a larger cutting deck.

Overall decent quality and has proven its durability.

Purchased in February 2015 at Bunnings Warehouse.

David.p
David.pMurray Mallee, SA

Cuts okay

Just bought this lawnmower. It cuts okay not quite as powerful as what I was expecting - cut out on thicker grass. Does a nice mulch cut and works well on your normal grass. Does not work very well when going of grass because it brings up a lot of dust and can cut out. Overall I am satisfied with it, but not sure I would recommend due to lack of power compared to price.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $499.00.

Terry
TerryPerth, WA

Made the right choice!

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $600.00.

AnneL
AnneLSydney, NSW

Great

Purchased for my husband for his birthday. He loves the lawn mower. It cuts great and he actually enjoys cutting the lawns now. Really happy with my purchase. Would highly recommend

Purchased in August 2019 for $480.00.

Joe denyer
Joe denyerGungahlin 2912, ACT

Lives up to its claims

The mower works well in wet and dry lawns it catches quite and also pick up other Gardens clippings with ease as well
Throttle on the machine is also very responsive doesn’t stick like some mowers all in all very impressed with fuel consumption as well

Purchased in April 2018 for $389.00.

Easy start. Great work hourse

One tank does my whole lawn the back yard is flat but the front has a steep climb the wide tyres make pushing easy over soft soil and rough edges. The mower is very quite compared to my old mower

Purchased in April 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Rhys K.
Rhys K.Sydney, NSW

Better with age

After first picking this up at the local Bunnings I took it home and couldn't start it.

I was loathe to return it as I didn't want to deal with all the hassle of warranty claims and wait times so I persisted. After about an hour watching puffs of white smoke and it not starting I tried some Start Ya, and after a few pulls it roared to life.

Had it for a few months now and it starts first or second pull every time. Impressed with the high quality and ease of use and it's multiple features.

Worried at first but it's definitely been a good buy.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Only used twice. Cord won’t pull on third attempt

Cord won’t pull after only two uses. Their manual explains nothing important. Contacting Masport is frustrating, as they have a form to fill out, asking too many details, and I have to wait for them to contact me after sending the form. I need to use it today, not later on. These large companies just don’t care about the individual customer. They should at least have the curtesy to print out a decent manual or have a website for troubleshooting. I’m sorry I bought it.

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Read more reviews - page 2

Jacqui G.
Jacqui G.asked

What size blades

Reviewer R.

If not in the manual ring them

John galea
John galea asked

Good morning I have a Masport Morrison 490 chipper catcher mower I need a diagram of the front axle setup

Reviewer R.

I don’t thinks consumers would have this unless it is in your manual

tomav
tomavasked

Has any user had experience with whether 788310 blade/bolts can be used on this mower. I've read they seem to be the same as 783529 which is only a two blade/bolt set?

Pity you didn’t ask Masport

See all Masport Bunnings 490 4'n1 questions

Features:

• The Masport 490 4n’1 Petrol Lawn Mower can cut, catch, mulch, side discharge, and chip, making it a versatile unit that lets you mow your way.
  • It’s powered by a Briggs & Stratton 150cc OHV 625EX ReadyStart™ 4-stroke engine, giving it the strength to tackle your lawn.
  • A 4 blade disc system with increased airflow allows for better catching of grass.
  • The mower weighs 32.26kg.
  • It has a minimum cutting height of 7mm and a maximum cutting height of 70mm, making achieving the right lawn for you a simple task.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the lawn mower had impressive fuel consumption, and was economical to run.
  • They also noted that the machine was relatively quiet compared to similar models.
  • According to reviewers, the mower is simple to start up, even after a long period of not using it. Reviewers said that it either started after the first pull, or after just a few pulls.
CategoryPetrol Lawn Mowers
Number of Blades5
Weight30 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameBriggs & Stratton 625EX 150cc 4-stroke OHV
Engine Type4-Stroke and OHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandBriggs & Stratton