Honda HRU216

See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Very slow I can push faster

I’m really disappointed with the mower. I’ve owned this for 3 weeks , it’s still brand new. Selling for $1750. It’s VERY slow and not that powerful. I’ve had it checked by Honda and they set it at 3200rpm the max it should be set on. And it’s still not good. I have it on the rabbit (full throttle) and it’s a slow walking pace on gear 3 the fastest setting. I had an old Honda push mower and I got my jobs done a lot quicker with this. I can push faster than the self propelled. I really thought it would be a great mower for my business but it’s slowing me down. I expected to get my jobs done quicker.

Purchased in May 2019.

Reliable commercial use

I purchased my Honda HRU216 new about 4 years ago and have been using commercially 5 days a week ever since in my lawn and garden business.
The machine has never let me down. I change the oil twice a year myself, replace the the plug at the same time and air filter.
The blades last me about 4 weeks which is normal seeing as we use it approx 3 hrs per day x 5 days x 4 weeks = 60 hrs mow time
I spoke with other contractors prior to buying and they all said to give the machine a slight push being engaging the self propelled lever as this takes the load off the gearbox. The dealer agreed saying that they had a few gearbox problems in the past.
The only fault I have is that the Shute is way too small and clogs up when the grass is a little damp or a bit long. You think Honda could overcome this problem easily. I noticed other comments about the weight of this machine - remember you are buying a commercial machine that is made to last which is not made to into the boot of the car. We use ramps which you can drive up (obviously with the disengaged)
Overall the machine is a no brainer for commercial use

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Very Happy Customer

Bought this lawnmower 2 weeks ago and i am really impressed, it cuts the grass super fine and holds sooooo much in the catcher. Our lawns are looking perfectly cut and my husband likes that it has a range of gears and the self propelled option drives nicely. definitely worth your money, we bought this from mower world and received perfect customer service!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

My Mowers better than yours

One thing I love to own is a great lawn mower.
Can’t go past Honda mine is not for commercial use this is my second only due to moving states and couldn’t take my other one. Starts first time every time I have it serviced regularly and love how it’s self mulching as I can’t lift the catcher so I don’t use it. This one’s going to outlast me I think. The only downside for me was price $1600 is pretty overwhelming but one the other hand it’s there for the long haul.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Overacted for the price

Very disappointed with this product as a commercial product it fails to cut slight moist buffalo lawn or thick I replaced a masport briggs and Stratton a 4in1 that I had for nearly 20 years and never missed a beat started first go all the time very bad mistake I made buying this Commercial product for money not worth it

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Very Good

I have been mowing lawns for a living over thirty years this is the only mower on the market that will stand up to constant commercial use .
The mower is quite expensive compared to other brands but the the long life makes it well worth the extra money

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great mower, pity about the service techs and mistruths that come with the mower

I have had a number of 216's over the past 11 years. They are a good mower, although I now do all my own repairs and that of my fellow contractors due to the poor knowledge of the service staff at selling/servicing dealers. Bent axles, broken gearboxes and low HP are all common problems with these mowers. In the latest generations, broken cables seem to be the new trend. This will be my last lot of HRU216's, I will be moving to a different brand. Warranties are often denied on broken parts, even when it's proven to be manufacturing faults. Sorry Honda, your day has passed.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Big and powerful, but not perfect for all applications

This is a big, powerful mower. Ideal for cutting through tough, tall grass.

This mower is not ideal for all applications. Weighing in at 54kg, it is not possible for the average person to lift this into the back of their vehicle. Yes, I know some people can lift 54 kg, but it's an awkward shape and not all that easy to wrangle in my view. If you are moving this mower from location to location by car, I'd suggest using a ramp or at least some sort of method to assist getting it in and out of a vehicle other than just lifting because it's too difficult to do on your own on a regular basis.

Having said that, for situations where you have a large area to mow and you either cannot afford or is not practical to use a ride-on mower, this mower will give you results that are almost as good. To be fair, ride-ons are a different category, so I won't labour that comparison too heavily, but this is a good alternative if you are thinking you need something less than a ride-on but more than a regular mower.

Looking at the speed settings on the self-propelling side of things: this mower has three speeds and I tended to use 1 for the first mow over very tall grass, then switch up to 2 or 3 once I'd cut the grass down to a managable size. I was also mowing over uneven and rocky ground, often with rubbish (such as cans and plastic containers) strewn around so I didn't want to go too fast. Your situation may be different to mine. If you're doing residential you are less likely to deal with these problems.
My only issue with self-propelled is the manouverability around obstacles such as trees was a little tricky, I had to disengage the self-propelled features and manually push around the trees. Depending what type of mowing you are doing this will either be a nuisance or irrelevant - I rarely encounter problems navigating trees as I'm mostly mowing open spaces and verges.

The blades have had to be replaced after about 4 months of regular use. I'm sure results will vary depending on use. I was using this mower in situations where there was rocky, uneven ground with rubbish that obstructed the blade (often not visible due to long grass so went through mower). I fully accept that my use of the mower probably put more stress on the blades than a normal domestic situation would and I am also willing to accept that the replacement of blades will depend on how you are using this machine.

In summary this is a powerful and useful machine. But I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I'd really consider what your needs are before spending the big bucks on this one, but if you think it suits your needs you will be very happy with it.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great Mower!!!!

I got sick of buying a cheap lawn mower every couple of years. This starts 2nd pull every time. Only down side is the weight of it. Its very heavy and makes it difficult lifting in and out of the back of the ute. Thats the only down side even has the water wash point to clean the deck without flipping it over.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

One of the best things I own

This works a treat after 5 years and I expect it will keep going that way for another 5 at least. I purchased to mow our 1/2 acre block that has some sloping parts and it does it with ease. At first it seemed a bit heavy and clunky to use but it a short time I figured out when and how to use the self propelling feature to my advantage. I have it serviced once a year but it could easily be done by someone at home who has the time and inclination to do it. I have since purchased a small ride on to cut the mowing time down even more but there are still some areas that the Honda can only do so I cannot part with it.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

This mower is a Tank and too heavy for parts to handle

Hands down that this mower is the pinnacle of mowers, it has the right sounds, a beautiful cut, the beefiness and a great air filter system.
The bad...This mower weighs at a whopping 70 kilos if not more with the catcher full. During my 2 years of owning it as a contractor it worked great. Had some issues with the drive cable stretching and that's about it.
This mower was not used much in all honesty, maybe had 100 hours of use since most of my yards are done with a normal push mower.
The gearbox stopped catching and had no drive. Upon further investigation, I pulled out the gearbox, split it open and noticed 3 broken teeth in the cogs. My theory is the weight of the thing is just too much for that tiny transmission. I called the service centre for a replacement and they wanted $550 for this part. In dismay I went and bought another mower, a cheap Chinese black eagle that's self propelled and I am going to test with my work for 1/5th of the price. I bet this will last me a year at least and I'll still be on top 4 years :) I'm not bashing honda, I have a cbr 1000rr and love it, but Honda, please ditch the transmission and go back to a pulley system for drive.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Great self-propelling mower

Great mower especially the self-propelling part for our steep block. Easy to use and once the initial throttle cable hiccup was sorted it starts on the first pull. Nice big catcher and great mulching function. On the heavy side weight wise but. Very solid build so it should last well.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Dream mower!

Heavy going without being too heavy this is fantastic to work with. Such an easy to use marvel that I'm mowing the lawns of less fortunate neighbours because it's just made so easy! Very easy to start and maintain, well worth the cost even on a pretty small surburban block.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Quality Mower Worth The Purchase

As a commercial mower in 2008 I purchased one of these to make my life easier when doing the tuff and dirty jobs (high grass and big bumpy blocks) i was so impressed i purchased a 2nd one and wouldn't use anything else...great finish and durable not to mention time saving, even the missus could use it on the days she tagged along!

Date PurchasedMar 2008

I miss my victa mower!

After 15 years, my victa finally packed and decided to call it quits. Against my better judgement, I bought this lawnmower as Honda is a reputable mower brand. My lawn gets chewed and then mowed. It's not a clean cut and a nuisance. I dearly miss my victa and regret not purchasing a victa mower.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Solid machine

I bought the HRU216 about 2 weeks ago very used and broken. After virtually rebuilding it I have used it for 2 days with my business ( testing the repairs before the busy season). It runs great and cuts well, although I haven't used it on thick grass yet I think it will handle it well. I only have 3 minor issues which probably won't affect most users. The handle is quite a bit lower than I like (I'm 6'2") some adjustment would be nice. It is slower than a hrx217 I'm use to an almost jogging pace. The speed can't be changed while moving, if I approach a thick patch of grass I have to stop to change gear. Like I said these are minor and it will be a good 2nd mower for my business.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Easy to use

The honda hru216 is easy to use and saw to use. It make relatively low noise and cut grass nicely. Since I bought the machine I begin to love cutting lawn. Overall it is a very good lawn machine and I really recommend to everyone who consider to buy it.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Phenomenal!

I bought this mower (a 2015 model) off a homeowner to replace my HRX217HYU recently. I have had a while to use it but not a lot of time, though I am happy I can give a good review on it now. Firstly it has a huge amount of power, but this was improved by moving the governor spring down 2 notches which let the engine rev harder. It is very slow compared to the HRX217 even on the fastest gear, but it is still a good walking pace which is nice. The blade brake is great because it means I can transport the mower between neighbouring houses without the blades running. The 70L catcher is a little smaller than the 88L HRX one but I am not too worried about that as I mulch most of my yards. the GXV160 with a 1.5L fuel tank is fantastic although as mentioned before it does perform better with the revs increased. One thing to be wary of is that it is very heavy (around 57KG) but it is self-propelled so it doesn't really matter that much and the deck is solid aluminium so it doesn't rust and is very strong. Overall a fantastic contractor's mower for a reasonable price.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Good

Used it found it Cool. Good power strong equipment Would recommend to anyone. If it dies I would buy another Honda for sure
Maneuvering is easy and cutting results are excellent with this mower
About maintenance not much is required except the normal oil change routine and spark plug cleaning along with air filter cleaning

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Disappointing

Firstly, I am a contractor. I usually buy the 19" Honda mower which is fantastic! When I bought the 21" self propelled, at first it seemed great! Unfortunately unless you mow your lawn twice a week it is useless both mulching or catching grass, and if its long and wet better to use scissors!! The small shute clogs up every 10m. A very disappointing mower and would not waste the money on one again! And don't start me on the cost of maintaining it with all the cables etc that break!

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Hi wanting to purchase one of these lawnmowers,honest answer in thick lawn over a leach drain
HI Vicki, power wise no problem however I have had a few issues in long grass if it is damp. The rear shut tends to get blocked. I still think that it is the best value for money and reliability. cheers Greg

How do i know which is the left side of the mower
Hi John N. Not sure why you need to know which is the left side of the mower. My guess would be from standing at the handle looking down to the mower, only a guess though. Cheers, DollarThanks for your answer but I read that if you lift to the right so the air filter is on top then you can reason the you must stand behind the machine to determine left and right As for why I needed to know I broke a drive pawl and they are right or left so there you go!

Is the honda hru216m3 the same as the hru216m3tbuh ,are they made in the same place?
Hi, sorry but I haven’t heard of the tbuh model. Maybe check on google or with the dealer. Cheers

Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216M2Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216M3Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216DHonda Buffalo Classic HRU216K2Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216M1
CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $1,749$1,749
Power SourcePetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake, Mulching Capability and Self-PropelledBlade Brake, Foldable Handle, Mulching Capability and Self-Propelled
Catcher Type RigidCollapsible
Catcher Capacity70 L70 L
Cutting Deck MaterialPlasticAluminium Alloy
Cutting Width533 mm530 mm
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 80 mm
Number of Blades11
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)
Engine / Motor