Virgin Australia

Virgin Australia

VA has no credibility as it didn't honour my booking.

I had booked - reserved and fully paid- a flight from Sydney to Canberra with Virgin Australia (VA) this morning. I arrived on time but I couldn't check in. I was informed that the flight was oversold and therefore I wasn't allowed to check in or board. My alternatives were getting a refund from VA, which didn't worked as I was then left with the problem of trying to book an expensive last min ticket. Or getting on the next flight in the afternoon. I had an itinerary of meetings planned according to the flight I booked. I had to cancel half of my customer meetings because of VA not honouring my booking.

I was further informed that VA has a practice of overselling flights betting on some customers not showing up. But in cases like mine today, where most of the booked customers do show up and VA is beyond its plane's capacity (because VA oversold the flight in the first place), VA simply dismisses an "unfortunate" customer. That dismissed unfortunate customer was me today.

I will do my best, and advice anyone, not fly VA to not be that "unfortunate" customer again. VA today unfortunately wasted my time, inconvenienced me through a long and stressful check in process, and disrupted my meetings with customers. But more importantly, VA has no credibility if it can't honour its bookings.

The one star in my rating goes to the check in assistant who genuinely apologised throughout this situation, her customer care was clearly at odds with VA's practice of overselling flights.

Words cannot explain how bad Virgin are!

I fly Jetstar and I avoid Virgin like a plague.
Today I booked Virgin as I needed a specific time, OMG they didn't let me down, delay after delay..., even when I booked I knew there would be a issue.
Virgin as a service disgusts me, the staff are rude and arrogant and people should just boycott Virgin until we are supplemented for everything poor about this airline.
The worse airline I've ever flown with and I travel a lot.
Everything about Virgin is horrible and makes me cringe.

DestinationGold Coast QLD, Australia

737MAX8

I have flown with Virgin many times, next time will be in another few weeks, but will not anymore after this if I have to fly in a 737 Max8 plane that has a bad crash history, No thank you, a sorry won't be good enough.

Baggage Abuse

Flight from Sydney to Melbourne. Luggage arrived without the handle. They had pulled the handle off a Samsonite UL5 suitcase. It had snapped the two bolts that hold the handle on!!! Samsonite are near indestructible and made for the rigours of air travel, but cant take the Virgin baggage handlers. The suitcase was under 23 kg and only in the standard configuration ie the expander zip was not opened. So how much force was applied???

I spoke to the baggage counter and Virgin policy is that zips and handles are not covered. Checked the website, sure enough handles are not covered unless it is a flight connecting with the USA. You see the USA has strict requirements for baggage rules that airlines must abide by if they want permission to land in USA.

So in Australia Virgin can throw your suitcase around with impunity.

DestinationMelbourne VIC, Australia

Lost suitcase

Lost suitcase (3 days now
My daughter is in Queenstown New Zealand with nothing! Flight was from Perth Australia on Thursday night.
She starts work tomorrow night and all her work clothes and shoes are in that case along with bedding ,medication , and other clothing!and many other things!
It can’t be that hard to find the largest black case you can buy with a fluro pink strap around the middle weighing 23 kls ?

ClassEconomy

Excellent trip lovely service and for once got a great seat from Brisbane to Darwin

From Brisbane to Darwin The service was fantastic left on time even got a free snack on our trip well done virgin the staff were lovely but one of the flight attendants could have put a colour through her hair to freshen up the greys but other than that no complaints

DestinationDarwin City NT, Australia
BookingThird Party

Worst flight n service ever

No air conditioning on flight at all flew from
Cairns to Sydney covered in sweat after I continued to ask flight attendant to turn air condition on it never happened everyone around was also very hot n disappointed - told to walk on plane via rear door yet we in row 8 !!! The food was a falafel wrap what type of food is this we in Australia not Greece ! Terrible service

BookingThird Party

One person on checkin desk

Arrived 50 min before boarding time, 20 people in line for flight from Hobart to Melbourne VA1321. All check in consoles not working, only one person on check in desk, she wasn’t there a lot, called to board aircraft, still 15 of us waiting. How about putting more than one staff member at check in so peoples don’t have to rush through security to make the flight.

DestinationMelbourne VIC, Australia
BookingThrough Airline

Late, again and again and again. Service... what service?

Virgin most of the time is late. Service just doesn't exist. My company insists to book with Virgin, definitely I don't recommend this airline. Looks like a third world company.

DestinationPerth WA, Australia

Forced us to give our seats to Gold Class Members

My mother and I were travelling from Sydney to Melbourne. We were back from visiting some family friends. Just before entering the plane, the air stewardess changed the seats we had booked weeks ago to the back of the plane. The gold class member beside us got my original seat.

It was annoying. We couldn't believe that they doing this to people. It's very disrespectful.

We will never fly with them again.

BookingThrough Airline

The worst experience and customer service to date

This evening my husband and I were due to depart Auckland International Airport at 6pm on flight VA156. I am astonished at the lack of communication, professionalism and customer service shown by Virgin staff. We arrived at check in at 3:20pm and waited 1 hour and 15 minutes to do a bag drop off. The staff were casual, chatty and there was no sense of urgency considering the extensive line up of passengers.
Once we finally checked in our bags we made our way to gate 5 to board at 5:15pm. The 5:15pm boarding never happened nor was it communicated to us that there was a delay. At 6pm passengers started to approach the 3 staff members standing at the desk who seemed quite confused. More and more passengers including myself wanted to know what was happening. After asking the staff questions myself I was told by one of these staff members that Ops had not given approval to announce the delay and there was nothing they could do. At approximately 7pm the entire had exited the plane. After 10 minutes passengers witnessed the plane that we were supposed to board being towed away. The 15 minutes after the plane was gone the Captain / Pilot took it upon himself to announce to the passengers that there was an engineering problem and the next flight will be around 12:10am the next morning!!
2 hours later there still had not been an official announcement regarding our flight. Other passengers had informed us that we were to receive vouchers to buy a meal. Waiting in line a passenger informed us that the vouchers were for the amount of $8.00. Keeping in mind a chocolate milk at the airport is $5.50. I didn’t even bother to wait. In addition I found out the same flight for the same route and time was delayed like this Thursday and Friday. That is shady.
As I wrote this at 9pm there still has not been an official announcement, no apology, nothing. I’m due to start work at 7am tomorrow morning, my Husband is due to fly out to his work site tomorrow at 12pm. We have had to call in an urgent babysitter to care for our children who are back in Australia as their Carer is required to go to work tomorrow also.
I am absolutely disgusted at how this debacle has been handled and I’m disgusted at how the passengers have been treated. This is not the service we payed for at all and I strongly recommend customers reconsider booking with Virgin Airlines in the future.

3rd time to the USA by Virgin and return and cannot fault them

Booked through my agent, got a real good price
To LA it is 13 hrs plus and 14 return. The team were brilliant , so as to speak like church mice, but I was in business class. Food choices better than average and presentation and taste was excellent.
Comfort and sleeping for 6ft 4 of me is usually a problem but not so with Virgin.
I have become a real regular 3 times a year long distance including Hong Kong. Bali trips were good but for the back of the plane you cannot compare

Service not comparable to other major Airlines

I recently booked a long-haul flight from Syd to Lax with my partner who is pregnant. I am a Platinum member (which is VA's highest tier). They make their Plat members pay to sit on an emergency exit seat or similar even with a pregnant partner in tow (no seats next to each other were available), and denied her an additional bottle of water on the basis that each guest only gets one bottle. No benefit being a FF with this Arline and if you have the choice go with Qantas or another more reputable company. Ground staff in Lax is plain unprofessional and unpleasant to deal with. I will go elsewhere in the future, shame about the status credits.

Very officious hostie

Most officious hostie I have ever encountered. On my recent Melbourne to Hobart flight this woman was an absolute pain. Will make sure I only travel with Jetstar in future.

BookingThird Party

Virgin stole $30 and won’t refund it.

I was on a virgin domestic flight in January with my family. I ordered food and drinks for us and gave the flight attendant my Visa card. She tapped in on the mobile and said it’s not working. So I payed cash $30 (for 2 crappy sandwiches and drinks). Couple of days later I get charged $30 in my visa, so those rubbish sandwiches now have cost $60.

I call the number and the person could do nothing but give me an email for accounts. I email them with the details and get nothing back. I said in a follow up email if I didn’t hear back it write a negative review. Here it is, BEWARE of their crap sandwiches which end up costing $30 each.

Safety concerns with Virgin

My flight from Brisbane to Sydney was cancelled and I was put on one an hour later. We waited on the tarmac at Brisbane airport for 30 minutes while the bags were loaded on, which put my flight 30 minutes behind schedule. The pilot was a young guy, and inarticulate whose garbled announcements were incomprehensible. The plane tore at breakneck speed to the runway and we roared off with the plane wobbling all over the place. He struggled to keep it steady throughout the flight. I felt sick - there was a bit of turbulence - but no prior warning was given and it wasn’t just the wind. I know as a lousy pilot myself - not a professional one - I have only flown the simulator - that I struggle to keep the plane steady. He was no better. The landing was terrible too, skidding left and right along the runway. We made up the half hour delay, so he flew the plane from Brisbane to Sydney in 45 minutes instead of 1 hour 15 minutes. Safety is obviously not a high priority for Virgin.
I have noticed on other Virgin flights that the pilots are substandard - the airline has to cut costs as they run at a loss and this is one way of doing it. Cancelling flights is another . The business class lounge in Adelaide is poor and not air conditioned- shocking in the Adelaide summer heat. You are better to just get a coffee in the air conditioned comfort of the terminal.

Great Flight

Booking and check-in online was easy. Flight Sydney to Melbourne was delayed due to weather but we were kept informed the entire time. Staff were great and we were impressed by the quality of the cheese and fruit snack. Have not flown with them for two year - think they have got even better.

Virgin Australia Thieves

I was offered to bid for an upgrade which I accepted with an offer of $100. You can imagine my disbelief when Virgin charged me $720 for two people without my knowledge till I arrived home. No amount of complaining was entertained and I have done my money cold. Absolutely disgraceful.

Disgraceful service

My family- 3 adults, one 3 year old and one 4 month old were booked to return from Melbourne to Sydney on Jan 29th at 12 md after having a wonderful weekend at a family wedding. We booked months in advance and selected our seats. We decided to check in in person as we had to check in a pram arriving 1/2 hour before check in closed. Asked at check in did we book yesterday? Odd question, bad feeling, she was showed our booking, then told us flight was over booked and we had been bumped off!! No apology, no sms no email nothing! told if we had checked in online it wouldn't have happened. Are you kidding! They put us on a later flight but they have no care or understanding on how hard it is travelling with a baby and toddler. It was also my son in laws birthday and on boarding i explained to the flight attendant what happened and could they do something nice for him which i was assured they would. she took his details Nothing! not even an Happy Birthday from the same flight attendant who i spoke to and who served him his snack! Virgin need to spend time and money on customer service, putting customers first not last. They are nothing more than an budget airline trying pretending to be a 1st class carrier.
I haven't been happy with their service in the past and this is the last straw. i will never fly Virgin again.

Horrible business class

I booked business class. I have to do all the check in and place the bags . Lounge was very reasonable but too small and it was packed up. Business class seats : there is NOT EVEN Foot rest ! Checked luggage of business was mixed with all luggage , no priority given.
I really think virgin should not offer business class if they can't provide it. They can offer an upgrade from economy but there was NOT BUSINESS CLASS.
I only travel business and this was worse than my bad experience with Phillipines Airlines ( at least they had Foot rest!)