Poisonous to Humans and Animals
Woolworths select crystals cat litter : letter to esther han smh: interesting article you wrote on unsafe products at woolies recently. I had my own conversation with a woolworths pet product representative today, regarding a nasty incident on the 20th august 2014 involving my young and healthy dog who had somehow ingested some woolworth's select crystals cat litter. First time i had this particular product in the house. If we had not had been at home, and able to rush to the local vet, my dog would have been dead as this all happened with a few minutes. He displayed all symptoms of a chemical poisoning, frothed at the mouth & went into seizures. Our vet induced the dog to vomit containing some of these kitty litter crystals, white froth & a bit of grass - this cat litter is produced in china, with no ingredients listed and no warnings except 'keep out of reach of children' - this is difficult for a product that would intentionally sit on the floor. While our dog was in hospital overnight having another seizure, i called woolworths to alert them to a hazardous product. A baby or small child could ingest the same product. I suggested they take the product off the shelves. Over a month later after many phone calls, a vet report, and posting of kitty litter samples to woolworths, and much waiting- i have a hefty vet bill ($684.0) on my credit card to pay still: yakob called today to say that the product has been analysed by the vendor / owner of the product, and they believe my dog was poisoned as it had possibly eaten cat faeces, and not to do with the kitty litter which is mostly silicon and a 'natural product' like sand. So why does it say 'keep away from children' on the packet ? My vet confirmed on the phone today, that dogs do sometimes eat faeces and although unpleasant & can infect them with parasites, they do not present with chemical poisoning symptoms. It's generally harmless unless the faeces contains cat litter, or chemicals. We do not have any chemicals around the house and garden at home & the dog was with me all day. I cannot afford another $600 to have the product privately analysed, or to take legal action against woolworths. The product remains on woolworths shelves as far as i know. So far i feel like i have been given the brush off by woolworths, and they do not care about my dog being poisoned by their product or the stress, and upset this has caused our family. I was refunded $20 by woolworths public liability department for postage of sample & inconvenience. I am happy my dog is alive, but not impressed with woolworths refusing to take responsibility for their product.