Yamaha WR250F

The WR250F is a great bike.

I recently done a few mods on my Wr250f 08, exhaust, jetting, air box and air cleaner mods, grey wire mod, the thing is now a beast, it’s more like riding a 2 stroke with the shear power increase and throttle response, oh and I done a mod on the fuel pump as well, I found my Wr250f 08 model to be very tame until I modded it, standard they are a great bike for the wife, the thing I love about wr’s is that with a little nouse and research it is possible to get these bikes to a race stage with minimal cost, so if you want to unleash the beast it’s totally possible, I’ve proved it. The Wr250f has fantastic handling as well and is such a pleasure to ride.

Date PurchasedMar 2009

Lightweight trail warrior

I've owned my fair share of bikes over the years, and ridden more than I've owned and I love this little bike
My bike is an 07 so first of the alloy frames and I do like the lack of rust to worry about.
The motor has good bottom end grunt for a 250, but wheelies require thought and effort unlike larger capacity machines even a DRZ400 wheelies much easier. The throttle is very responsive for a carv bike and will pull constantly through the rev range, and rev it will. Top end is mellow as is expected for a 250.
Handling and breaking is sharp and responsive though the lack of ballast tends to result in the front end being a little skittish. Ergonomics are as expected from a japanese machine and the instruments are easy to ready and nice to look at.
The plastics are the usual Yamaha disappointment with the blue plastics tending to crease and turn white.
While theses bikes are known to be very reliable for a performance machine, maintenance is not the easiest.
The spark plug access is limited, and you'll use your share of curse words getting it out (and they eat plugs apparently). Changing the oil is a process too which requires bashplate removal and removal or 2 drain plugs (to do it properly). Carb access is poor and access to the valves is tight also.
I bought a Yamaha as the valve train had a better reputation than the Honda. The Yamaha also has a larger dealer network. I've heard the euro's were also dearer for parts and the ktm run 2 sumps which sounded like a pain to me so I kept it simple

Date PurchasedMar 2017