The TM31 has been replaced by the newer Thermomix TM5 generation.

Generations:

Gisborne

• 1 helpful vote

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Aug 2012

This is a fantastic Kitchen appliance!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2017

I dont know how many times I have told my husband I love the TMX, it is makes cooking all round 10x quicker, processes that would normally take a lot of time so much easier and faster, things I would never think of even making are regular staples in our house now because of ease of use.
The noise of the TM31 is the only thing I can fault, when we purchased this, i had a newborn and was worried about waking her but soon got too learn it didnt bother her but its really the only thing I can fault.
Easy to clean, the bowl i just shove in the DW - we use the TMX at least twice every day.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Newcastle

• 2 questions
  • 6 answers

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jan 2011

Handle fell apart. No help from Thermomix as it is out of warranty.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

The Thermomix handle (on the side of the main bowl) simply fell apart unexpectedly. This was a shock as we have kept it in excellent condition since new. It is obviously held together by glue, and a screw (which has rusted through). My suggestion to Thermomix is to use "stainless steel" screws when dealing with kitchen appliances which get washed on a regular basis. However, I was surprised to hear back from Thermomix that they offer NO HELP as soon as it goes out of warranty! I had heard about their poor customer service - but was shocked to experience it myself! Why have I paid all that money if there if the product is not good quality, not long-lasting, and there is no help from the seller (beyond the minimum obligation)? I have other kitchen appliances which have lasted much longer and cost a fraction of the price. Other than that, the scales do not work intermittently (this has been the case since new). It is not easy to clean. It is VERY VERY VERY noisy (you could get industrial deafness from using it). Very disappointed. I would NOT recommend to buy a Thermomix unless you like throwing your money away.

Perth

• 2 comments
  • 1 helpful vote

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Love it, use it every day, but VERY overpriced.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

Love this device, use it daily for all sorts of things.Can't fault it's quality & reliability, have had it for 3 years now.Just very expensive, far too overpriced for my liking however. Other competitor offerings for a far cheaper price. Would try one of the other products next time for sure.

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Appalling reliability and Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2017

I bought my TM31 Xmas Eve 2014 on a whim and after a few champagnes. Over that Xmas I used it quite a bit. Then stopped and used it intermittently. I immediately, within weeks, received a replacement seal in the mail which I duly started using January 2015. I noted that it made it a lot harder to close the lid and the force needed to close the lid distorted the pouring lip. It did not worry me at the time. In September 2015 the blades sheared off in spite of its rather light use by this stage. They were replaced straight away but my suspicions were up. The Over the 2015/2016 xmas I started getting error messages and the speed dial was not consistently adjusting the speed. I rang thermomix and they told me that it was my fault as I had got the contact pads wet. I hadn't but thought maybe my adolescent daughter had when she used it. I left it as by that stage we were not using it very much and it was kept in a cupboard. I pulled it out for Xmas 2016/2017 and the dial now went to speed 9 on 0 and speed 0/off in an arbitrary position somewhere between 0 and 9. Disturbed I rang thermomix and they told me it was outside warranty period and I had to bring machine in which I did. Customer Service suggested that the cracks in the front of the face along with the distorted lip indicated that the thermomix had been heavily used and abused and they would need to take it apart out the back to determine what other damage I had done to it to cause the dial to slip the way it was. I then grew a set and told them that they were not going to open up the machine without me being present because I was absolutely certain that the inside of the machine was going to be immaculate. She got quite snotty with me but relented. The technician came out and low and behold, it was clean and tidy. He told me the motherboard was burnt out because of heavy use. I corrected him about the use, at this stage I may have used it once a month over an 18 month period (machine was just shy of 2 years) It was going to cost between $300-500 to fix with labour. I was not impressed and challenged him on the heavy use conclusions. Anyway eventually it cost $120 as they paid for the labour and I paid for parts. Tricky customer service.

Melbourne

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jan 2010

Was amazing but many faults after a few years

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

I have my Thermomix for over 7 years and still use it daily. It's a great appliance with so many uses but the quality has diminished over the years. The scales no longer work, the blades aren't as sharp and doesn't feel like it did years ago. Replacement pieces can be purchased but I was told when purchasing that it would easily last ten years without having to spend anything else or pay out for regular services.

• 6 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 13 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Perfect for families

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2017

I couldn't live without it now after having it for over 5 years. It makes so many daily tasks a breeze. I get so much more out of my food owning this. The options for use are endless. The online recipe collection is amazing...you can pretty much thermomix anything!! Ease of use I love the manual buttons on the tm 31 Im starting to worry about all the cooking appliances going fully electric.

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Oct 2009

The lazy cook's best friend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

My kitchen changed forever the day Thermie came to town. Until then, I had never made risotto - now I have a repertoire of risottos - including creamy garlic prawn - my fave. Thermie takes the stress out of unexpected guests, as long as you have the basic ingredients on hand, you can whip up dips in seconds. Oh, and you will never buy butter ever again! I wish I had Thermie when my kids were growing up.

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Very handy machine - use it daily, but high purchase cost

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

The main negatives are the initial cost , and the seal needs replacing regularly. Mine leaks water out the top which I hate. However even then I can use it for mixing cakes , fantastic with dough . The grinder was not really fine enough for my liking and I have tried mince but it's too chunky. Also cleaning can be a little tedious but it dismantles and assembles quickly. Would rate it 5 stars if it didn't leak which I think can lead to major safety issues.

Canningvale

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jul 2014

My daily life saver

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

We hardly eat out since we got the thermomix.We had it for 3 years now and we use it almost daily. sometimes twice a day. good for busy mums. I relied on it to cook all meals when i was pregnant and couldn't stand the smell of cooking. Love it!

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Broken down after 3 years

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

I really love the functionality of the machine and all it can do and while it eas working it is great.. and now just on 3 years and out of warranty the screen has gone and will cost over $200 to repair.. for the price of the machine it needs a longer warranty

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 answer
  • 11 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Warranty too short for the price

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

I love my Thermomix as a food processor, so very expensive for that.
I underuse it for cooking as this model just wasn't big enough for a family of five.
However the heating element has gone after less than 3 years of infrequent cooking.
Very disappointing. I have to buy the bowl again if I want to cook in it again.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth, Western Australia

• 2 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: May 2012

Not worth the money. Warranty should be longer for the price.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2017

I have had my TM31 for five years now. It has never been "amazing" to me as someone who actually enjoys cooking tasteful food. It is a convenience thing which is more convenient for people who do not enjoy the cooking process or are time poor. The flavours that come from this technique do not compare to the cooktop, purely due to the design (always covered, sweating the food, no caramelisation).

Now five years on, my blades are blunt and the kneading button doesn't work. Not covered by warranty and not worth buying again.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Jan 2013

don't waste your money or time....

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

this product excels at wasting time - eg - many of the recipes call for many containers - for example - the curry dish requires that you cook the meat, put it aside, cook the sauce, set it aside, requiring to be cleaned between each chore...then put it all back together - so very time consuming - considering one of the sales pitches is how time saving it is...not - quicker and easier to cook with pots and pans....as for the 'ring' to seal the thermomix - they are ONLY guaranteed for one year then YOU replace it at YOUR cost..$11 each or more by now....could break the bank for someone on a tight budget....not to mention - I was VERY lucky - when the 'ring' in my thermomix decided to 'blow' it blew out the back - otherwise, I too, would have been presenting myself to the hospital emergency department along with those others affected....it does NOT make juice...it makes a messy pulp...it is NOT easy to clean - the blade is very sharp and fiddly - therefore either not cleaned properly or cut yourself cleaning it....my advice is to buy either a vita mix and a juicer - or an even cheaper yet as efficient[if not more so] than this over rated piece of expensive junk....of course, if your life revolves around the kitchen - it's quite possibly a good item...but, encouraging obesity isn't really a good thing.....this product was flogged profusely...whilst the agent knew that a new model was soon to be released.... nasty pyschologist.....

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Oct 2011

Could never live without one.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

I've had mine for about 4 years or so, makes effortless gravy, cheese sauce etc and the English custard is the best, I have used it for fresh tomato sauce which is lovely over Pasta. However I really don't like the Bread recipes as it tastes very dry and the Soup recipe I've tried but prefer my own soup I make in the pan on the Stove. I have tried some recipes but really I have barely tried the many dishes it can do. To think I only bought it after watching Come dine with me-Australia. I contacted the UK supplier , gulped at the price, had a demo and here we are. I really do recommend this. If this one goes West I will certainly buy another.

• 19 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Feb 2012

Best Household Appliance Ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

Can't fault my trusty TM31. Coming up to 5 years owning this appliance and it hasn't missed a beat. With a busy lifestyle of work and family (with allergies in the family), this appliance has allowed me to cook in a healthy and efficient manner. My kids use it regularly.

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Mar 2016

I can cook way more than ever!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

This machine is just amazing! Ive now used all the settings. I could only cook basic foods before, now my creative skills are endless! Ranges from whole cheesecakes to pizza to vegies and meat meals. Its the most money i have spent on one item, but completely worth every cent! Way less dishes to clean. Quick and easy chopping of ingrediants. No standing around, waiting for food to cook and stir to avoid burnt meals. Just turn on and walk away. Easy to understand how it works, the do's and donts. I reccomend it to friends and family all of the time. Everyone should have one of these machines! :D

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: May 2014

Unsuitable for commercial use

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2016

I purchased the tm31 for commercial use about two years ago. There are plenty of restaurants that use all the different models from the tm31, the tm21 right through to the new tm5. The consensus is that in a commercial environment the basic models are not fit for commercial purposes, despite assurances from the company and even when the machine is treated with the respect which the price tag warrants. I know four restaurants within a radius of 400 yards who all have Thermomix products and they have all had the same constant, ongoing, relentlessly draining and stressful issues with the machine and this includes the tm5. Simply put in a pristine, sealed environment the product is outstanding groundbreaking even. The problem is that is is not robust enough for commercial use - even with careful use. The pins in the bottom of the blender can shake themselves inoperable, on average every three to six months. The seal in the lid rots or comes loose on a regular basis, which lets liquid drain into the electrics of the machine and causes complete technical meltdown. Anecdotally, this basic design fault is key in all the models which I have encountered; why has the machine been designed with the seals to the lid, opening directly into the internal electrical components of the machine? Furthermore, why won't Thermomix accept this when this is constantly fed back to them by their commercial customers? I was told this bizarre story by the service department - one of the designers of the tm5 had apparently jumped up and down on the lid and seal of the tm5 to test how much stress the model could take! Tip to Thermomix; put the machine in a commercial environment instead - identify the issues and remedy them and buy a trampoline for the designer. In fact give the chefs who have been driven to distraction and abject misery by these products and let us jump up and down on them. Finally and perhaps pertinently to my previous comments when the machine is returned to Thermomix for repairs and the warranty has expired you can end up paying close to a quarter of the retail value of the product in parts and labor. I can not say for certain but my own strongly held personal opinion is this constitutes planned obsolescence. I have even offered to pay an additional fee for an extended parts and labor warranty and this has been flatly refused. Ask the question yourself and see how flatly your request is refused. If Thermomix is so confident in the product why would this be a problem when cheap white goods are regularly sold with an extended warranty?. To summerise; an excellent product for a desert island chef!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Worst Product I have ever brought

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2016

This is by far the worst product I have ever brought, it was completely useless. I would not recommend anyone buy a thermomix. If you want to see the injuries it can cause jump on to youtube and check it out. It is certainly not a good product and I couldn't even get my money back.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

SA

• 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Generation: TM31 Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Okay but would expect better for the price

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2016

Some of the pros I've found for my TM31 are that it's powerful and can mill things like nuts with ease. Great steamer and I love that it continues stirring once the timer has finished to prevent food from sticking to the bottom. Always loved the soups and risottos after a long day when I don't feel like cooking.

The consultants go above and beyond to help customers, but unfortunately they have to also deal with the company and can only do so much to assist.

For me the cons outweigh the pros, especially given the price.

Not long after I purchased it, a crack appeared on the screen and a lot of TM31 owners with machines around the same purchase date had the same complaint. To get it fixed I'd have had to pack it all up, send it away, wait however long for it to be fixed and then wait for it to be posted back. So I didn't bother going through all that rigmarole for the sake of a crack considering I bought it to SAVE time, not spend my days packing and shipping my appliances off to the other side of the country and take the risk that I've packed it well enough to not have it damaged in transit.

Now, of course, my scales are broken (also causing a lot of failed recipes and wasted food) and the short 2 year warranty has expired so I have no choice but to send it to the other side of the country at my own expense for it to be serviced - at my own expense.

I can't understand why, like other companies, they don't have more service centres that we can just safely drop the machines off for repairs and services.

After this experience I'm done with the machine and am going back to traditional cooking and buying a good quality blender (at well under half the price) with a seven year warranty.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Innisfail

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM31

Disappointed to be having to send it back 3rd time

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2016

Have had my Tm31 for over 5 yrs and used it almost every day. Love my thermomix and can't imagine being without it but... Have had to send it away to be fixed 2 times previously for repair( no fault of use) and each time at my expense of around $300 each time. Now the motor is not working properly. Have to turn dial to about 4 for blades to start moving and as I turn it up it stays at same revs until it reaches about 8 and then kicks in to highest revs. I suppose the choice will be do without

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

To their credit the service consultants at Thermomix were very helpful and although I did have to spend to have my TM31 fixed again they explained things clearly and were responsive. The machine w... read more »

1 of 22 pages