daywolf
daywolfGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC21 posts
  Ambassador Review

A handheld vacuum powerful enough to replace any vacuum. Almost!

I’ve used the Dyson V11 for about a month now, and have been really impressed with the performance of the machine. To start, I’ll tell you a bit about how I use the vacuum. I usually vacuum every other day, and my 2 bedroom apartment consists of mostly wooden floors, with plush pile carpet in the bedrooms. For comparison purposes, I currently use a Miele Complete C3 with the turbo comfort head and HEPA AirClean 50 filter.

Unboxing the V11 was a really pleasant surprise. Not a single piece of plastic wrap to be found! Thanks Dyson, for taking a sustainable and environmentally sound approach to packaging. Lots of cardboard inside the box to protect everything during transport. See photos.

There are so many tools included with the V11 Absolute. Just about everything you could need is included in the box, and the price of any additional tools you might like is quite reasonable. If you have tight places you’d like to use the tools in, it can be a bit difficult. This is really noticeable when cleaning inside the car, or such places like behind the tv, or using the soft dusting brush to clean around items. I assume the optional flexible hose could make this task a lot easier, and this is something I am considering the purchase of. The wand storage clip is a particularly good idea. Thanks Dyson! Somewhere to store the crevice and combination tools to keep them handy. The other tools don’t fit, however.

Every day vacuuming performance is impressive. The high torque floor tool provides excellent contact suction with the carpet, and the agitation from the brushes is strong. This ensures that dirt deep in the pile is drawn up and out of the carpet. Due to having a very powerful canister vacuum already, I had high expectations of the V11. The amount of extra dirt pulled up from the carpet was minimal, so I took it over to my neighbours apartment. They had just vacuumed with their VAX barrel vacuum with turbo brush head. I went over their carpets again, and was shocked at how much dirt came out of the seemingly clean carpet. The canister was full, from cleaning 2 bedrooms. The excellent high torque cleaner head also leaves a pleasant pattern in the carpet pile, like a good turbo head should. See photos.

The fluffy head works great on all hard floor surfaces, and is particularly easy to manoeuvre around furniture. Going under low furniture is a different story. The fluffy head is no where near as good as the high torque head when articulating under furniture. The high torque cleaner head works just as well on hard flooring, so there’s really no need to change heads.

Battery life of the V11 is excellent. First charge took about 2.5 hours. On one charge, I cleaned THREE 2 bedroom apartments, and the shared corridor area, before the battery was flat. I was using the “auto” setting, and the high torque cleaner head. Very impressive as far as run time goes. The downside to this is the weight of the machine. After vacuuming such a large area, my arm was fatigued, and so was my hand and finger, from having to constantly hold the trigger on. The V11 is definitely a heavy handheld vacuum. Very powerful, with a long runtime, but if you have a large house to clean you may be better off with a canister or upright vacuum. Cleaning just a 2-3 room apartment is fine, though. With the cleaner set in “auto/med” mode, the suction is automatically adjusted when cleaning with the high torque head. After a month of using the vacuum, I found I never needed to use the boost function.

After a week of use, with daily emptying of the dust bin, I rediscovered why I don’t like bagless vacuums. Even though the clever design of the dust bin mechanism removes the need to actually touch the dirt, there’s still a cloud of dust that is thrown up from the bin when emptying. Dust also clings to the outside of the dust bin, so it’s a good idea to have a dusting cloth nearby to wipe down the outside of the vacuum afterward. For dust allergy sufferers such as myself, a bagged vacuum is by far the best option.

Also after the first week’s use, the filter was quite heavily clogged with dust and fibres, eventually showing on the display as a blockage. I phoned Dyson support, and was not impressed with the level of customer service. After emailing Dyson, I discovered that is the best way to contact them. Dyson emailed me back, and have sent a replacement filter, which hasn’t arrived yet. Washing the filter every other week is a bit of a nuisance. I’ve resorting to cleaning the filter using my other vacuum in the meantime.

All in all, The Dyson V11 is an excellent hand held vacuum. Outstanding suction and cleaning performance, and excellent filtration. It is on the pricier end of the scale, but if you are in the market for a new vacuum, be it hand held, canister, or upright make sure you check out the Dyson V11. It really is a great vacuum that in most instances, will replace many other models.

Pros:
-Great suction and cleaning performance
-Quiet operation in auto or eco modes
-Air filtration is excellent
-Long battery life
-Informative display
-High torque cleaner head is excellent on all surfaces
-Mini motorised brush head is great
-Easy to empty dust bin
-Lots of included tools

Cons:
-It is heavy
-No lock down trigger (with battery life this long, surely Dyson can add a lock down tigger now)
-Difficult to use in tight spaces
-Still produces a cloud of dust when emptying dust bin
-Quite expensive

Purchased in .

• Product is used: Several times a week
  • Pet Owner: No
  • Floor Type: Carpet, Tiles and Wood
Noise Level
Battery Life
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au