28 Degrees Mastercard

Card works well overseas but customer support is TERRIBLE

Waited 45 minutes to speak with a customer representative, who was then extremely rude and dismissive. The customer service used to be much better, however it's gone downhill fast in the 12 months

Excellent application process

I received my 28 Degrees Platinum Mastercard a few days ago. So far, have not used it yet but I had a very smooth experience with the application process. I applied online about 2 weeks ago, got 2 phone calls that I missed, received a text asking me to call a number. I called and got an answer straight away. The loan officer asked me for an extra piece of evidence about my income (my most recent pension fund payment advice). I scanned and emailed the document to him and received an approval less than 10 mins later by email. The card arrived a week later. No drama. I applied for a higher amount than I need and yesterday went online to reduce the amount. Have not received a confirmation yet but it was a public holiday yesterday so am not too worried.

Card Start DateApril 2019

28 Degrees Customer Service

Just spend 37 minutes waiting on the phone to speak to 28 Degrees Customer Service and when I finally spoke to an operator, I was then cut off. Still haven't had my issue addressed.

Card Start DateOctober 2018

Non-existent customer service

Card works overseas but the customer service if something goes wrong is non-existent. Lines are always congested and chat line only try to delay the issue. Over three weeks to get a refund and still no result ... after half a dozen calls and chats!!!

Card Start DateAugust 2013

Awful

Terrible customer service, misleading phone times. I’m cancelling this card.

They advertise 24/7 customer service lines, all that is is a person telling you what time the department you need is available. As they advertise as a travel card this is VERY problematic. There are other travel cards with better rates and better service. I only kept this until now because I was too lazy to change. I will be swapping on my return to Sydney.

Rewards
Card Start DateJanuary 2011
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Don't go near them

Do not get involved. My experience with this card has only been at application level. After nearly 2 weeks of multiple requests from Latitude for additional information and numerous phone calls my application has been declined, with no real explanation. I was referred by a friend, so it is a real card, but I am still left with the feeling that this is a scam and now my personal financial information is vulnerable. Stay away.

Card Start DateMarch 2019

Do not use this card!

Our experience with card has not been good, it has been declined numerous time. Tried on line chat but couldn't be resolved. Able to use it online without problems they kept saying cvv/cvs is wrong when being swiped . However it worked on line and for small purchases. Tried to call but little was resolved, luckily we had another debit card that worked.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!

Card Start DateJanuary 2019
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

Good card if you use it smartly

I have had a 28 Degrees Mastercard for about 10 years and have used it when travelling overseas for about 15 or so holidays and have never had an issue, it is a Mastercard and I have never had anywhere reject the use of it.

I don’t use it to withdraw cash as you will incur an ATM fee but I use if for everything else when we are on holidays.

This is not the card for someone who does not pay their credit card in full each month as the interest rate is quite steep and it is not a card I would use as an everyday credit card as there is no points program attached to it.

This card is a star when used overseas - recently in the US, the conversion rate on our 28 Degrees card was excellent and there is also no annual fee attached which is another bonus.

Card Start DateFebruary 2009
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

Understand it, to reap the best rewards!

Just returned from Peru and found my 28 Degrees card absolutely fantastic!
Firstly, if you follow the instructions, joining is a breeze....it was for me.
You must know that the best thing about this card, is the lack of international "usage" fees, and that any currency conversion, will beat most other Credit Card rates, and Money Changers here in Sydney, hands down! I changed AUD to USD to take cash, but found better rates in Lima. I then used the cash for tours and tips only, and used my 28 Degrees Mastercard, for the remainder of my purchases.
Promptly, I received email notification that charges had been raised on my account, and after a few days, a final amount was set depending upon the currency conversion rate AUD to SOL (Peruvian Sol). This ended being even better than the local banks in Lima.....go figure!
I had no problem paying at restaurants, supermarkets, and duty free shops, whilst in Peru, Ecuador and Chile. Upon returning home, I then bought 5 return tickets to Osaka, using my Citibank Visa, wanting to get reward points, and was charged $100 AUD, International Transfer Fees, as well as the currency exchange fees, (the air fares were transacted in Euros from Greece).
Having been bitten here, I then purchased 5 x 2 week Japan Rail passes using my 28 Degrees card......from Klook Travel in China. ...... No Fees! (only the minimal currency conversion which is present when charging on any International currency). I called Citibank to ask them to waive these "unfair" fees, as a few companies like 28 Degrees, have decided to waive these unnecessary fees......NO! was their reply. I will probably not renew my Citibank Visa Card now, and they can charge some other bunny the $89 annual fee....I'll stick with my fee free 28 Degrees Card, no annual fee, no membership fee, no foreign transaction fees, and the best currency conversion rate this traveler has seen.

Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

Very complicated application process. Hard to do business with

Very Complicated application process. Website crashes. Called me many time, Uploaded every document I have available. Shown my bank statement with more than $10,000. Spent hours with the operators and uploading all the necessary documents still can't get a minimum credit limit like a $500. Customer service is terrible, no one in charge to solve the application process smoothly, sounding like a judge on your situation. Very Bad.

Rewards

Best travel credit card

I've been using 28 degrees for about 6 years. Reliable overseas, excellent conversion rates and when I remember to use it right I never get charged any fees at all.

Card Start DateDecember 2012
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

Useless - no customer service at all

My card is not working, I am trying to fix it but the overseas people refuse to believe me. Will not transfer me to a supervisor just cut me off (3 times and counting), will not transfer me to anyone in Australia, will not fix my problem.
They can't return my call and everyone has gone home as they have kept me holding forever. Will definitely be looking for a new card.

Money theft

This used to be a great card, particularly for travel. They have recently introduced a policy where if your card has a credit balance, they simply steal the credit and call it an 'administrative clean up'. You can spend hours on hold trying to get your own money back if you like... Ludicrous.

Card Start DateJanuary 2013

Has gone downhill significantly

Terrible customer service, lack of support, difficult to read transactions and pay.

Furthermore charges for bpay.
Will be discarding for different card

After 15 years with 28Degrees, pretty happy overall.

I have held a 28 Degrees Mastercard for approx 15 years. I am generally happy with the range and quality of service provided. I am notified promptly about any suspicious transactions. The card works faultlessly each time I make an O/S purchase. There has been an occasional hiccup, but nothing major. I guess my only gripes would be about 3% transaction fee on foreign ATM cash withdrawals, and the inability to put the card balance into credit. However, we can't have everything and I'm generally pretty happy.

Terrible customer service!

Called multiple times.. Put on hold each time and representative said he needs to check something and never came back to answer the call.
Avoid it if you can.

Crap Customer Service

Called them as they had issues with my Mastercard. They put my on hold and hung up on me. Terrible.

Excellent card - read the PDS before you apply!

This is an excellent card for a specific purpose - to avoid ridiculous overseas transaction and currency conversion fees. Plus, there is no annual fee!

It is NOT the best card if you don’t pay off the balance, if you tend to pay late, or you want cash advances or cash withdrawals from ATMs (there are better products out there for this). Plus, it only has limited fee-free payment options.

So many people on this forum have complained about the fees and charges, and feel that they are getting ripped off. Guess what — if you read the Key Fact Sheet, the terms and conditions and all fees and interest rates are there for everyone to read. Read it before you apply and you’ll be fine - otherwise there are plenty of other options.

As for people who are unhappy about being rejected for the card — guess what? Credit cards are now much harder to get as companies crack down on sloppy lending practices, and it’s just too bad that your credit file isn’t good enough. Move on. As for the many retirees here who aren’t happy about being rejected for a credit card - guess what? You still have to satisfy the usual credit criteria. Even if you have a house worth $1,000,000, that means nothing to a bank if they are offering you unsecured credit in the form of a credit card. It’s not as if they can sell your house to recover a debt, unless you declare bankrupcy.

Do your homework, read the fact sheet and don’t choose the card if it doesn’t suit you! If you want to use your own money and not jump through the credit application hoops, get a product like the Citibank Plus Debit VISA card which offers very similar benefits - and you will never pay interest!

I for one am very happy with the product, and the customer service people have been fine when I’ve had to deal with a few issues.

Deplorable and a waste

not any positives for this company
Not a very good card at all. Rates are ok, fees are high, call centre staff suck and give attitude, terms and conditions are crap, hit you with numerous charges, don’t contact you unless it’s for their benefit, don’t look after the customers and their payment systems are just dreadful in regards to the card holder trying to do the right thing.
I recommend revolut card or an ING card.

Useless online application portal

automatically denied my application even though i have a good credit history. complete waste of time. i application got rejected in 10 to 15 secs. how can a system work that fast in assessing an application.