Afterpay Questions & Answers

4.1 from 1,545 reviews · View Details

209 questions from our users

Nathan C.

Nathan C.asked

I’ve only just recently got Afterpay like a couple of days ago and I haven’t made a purchase yet but my account is frozen and I’m confused as to why

Jay Ward

Jay Wardasked

My account has been frozen since July and I don’t understand why ?? I had one payment I couldn’t make and rang you guys for help and told you I will pay my account in full the next week which I did. I’m so mad this has continued to be frozen for several months now and Christmas is coming up which I will need to use Afterpay for because I am saving for my move in the coming months.

VBG

My understanding based on comments on the forum is that Afterpay freezes your account if you default on any payment or ask for deferral, even if you then make all the payments.

Let us know if you manage to unfreeze your account on how you managed to do it, as I am sure lots of other people also want it done.

Now there are quiet a few no annual fee credit cards in the market and they offer more flexibility compared to Afterpay and same benefits. Suggest you look at that option.

Kismet S.
Kismet S.

Think afterpay needs to realise there are other providers. Looks like over the last few months they are useless. Sad as many of us have spent lots of money with them

Riaasked

I was sent to the hardship team because I couldn’t repay my amount due. However I already paid that back and this has been already two years now. Yet, even now when I try to make a new account, the afterpay team advises that I cannot create a new account as I defaulted in the past. How does this make sense, considering that I paid my full balance due and it’s been over two years since my account was locked and closed??

VBG

It seems that Afterpay's policy is that you are locked out forever if you default.

Ria

Even though after such a long amount of time?? Wow then after pay is even worst than banks.. once defaulted, means you are blacklisted forever, how stupid is that

Beeasked

Why in the world did my limit decrease? Am always on time (if not early for payments) and bang just like that! Wow! I hate that! With Xmas coming up you should increase the amount to give us some flexibility! Especially long term customers! Have been a customer since 2017. I expect more!

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Hey Bee - are you still seeing a reduced limit? You may wish to give us a quick call to see if we can get to the bottom of this for you call 1300 100 729 now

Bee

Yes still reduced! I will call tomorrow

Did you call us yet?

Teresa M. W.

Teresa M. W.asked

I've never used my account...I applied and then decided to wait til my paychecks were bigger. Just tried to make an order and was given an error message and told my account was frozen. It shows I have my $600 credit limit, but it frozen. Anyone have an idea of why and what I can do to remedy this?? Thanks in advance.

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Hey T we sometimes apply a freeze when folks wish to change payment dates or go on a hardship program, to find out more about your specific situation just give us a quick call 1300 100 729

jasmine.todorovic

jasmine.todorovicasked

Why is my account currently frozen? I have no outstanding payments due and am not only up to date with every payment but have also paid a fortnight in advance.

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Hey Jasmine - to get account specific information give us a call or send a message via your mobile app.

jasmine.todorovic

jasmine.todorovicasked

Why does Afterpay say that my account is currently frozen? I have no currently outstanding bills and am up to dat with all due payments.

Give us a call 1300 100 729

Margaret

Margaretasked

Hello my account was forwarded to the hardship team as I asked to move a payment twice in 3 months they said my account will be reinstated when paid in full had I known this was gonna happen I would have just paid I have worked hard to get get my limit increases and purchased a lot of stuff will they reinstate my account

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Hey Margaret we take responsible spending seriously, we don't want to see customers getting into trouble with their finances. Once you are back on track we can talk about opening up your account for shopping again - right now it is important you remain in control of your finances

VBG

Based on some other previous comments, it appears that Afterpay does not reinstate your account once you pay off an overdue amount.

MNM

MNMasked

If your limit is $1500, is there a possibility you can purchase something for $1999 with your great credit history? Any chance they’ll up it when you’re trying to purchase the item?

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Yes for some purchases we have a special feature which means you can pay a bit more upfront to get what you want now and pay for it later, this is not available to all customers / across all purchases but pop the item in your basket and see how you go - what have you got to lose?

Caseyasked

If my account had been blocked due to money owing will it be unblocked once all paid?

Destiny C.
Destiny C.

Yes but will have to wait a little while to use the account and will need to build your availability to spend back up

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Get in touch if you are struggling to pay us, we have a range of options available to help get you back on track 1300 100 729 or if you prefer pop a message to us via your mobile app

If my account is blocked will it be unblocked once paid

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Give us a quick call 1300 100 729 we cannot discuss your account here in this open forum

Caseyasked

Will my account be unblocked once its paid

If my account is blocked will it be unblocked once paid

Caseyasked

Can my account be unblocked once paid

Mel B.

Mel B.asked

Yesterday afternoon my app wouldn’t generate a barcode even though I had used it twice already that day. 24 hours later I have done all the troubleshooting I can think of and it’s still not working. Super frustrating as I use after pay all the time. Will have to look at at the competition I guess if it doesn’t get resolved.

Afterpay CSAfterpay

Hey Mel - sounds like you are really keen to get shopping again - give our team a quick call they may be able to help you get reconnected 1300 100 729

Satish Mahinder

Satish Mahinderasked

As a retired can I use this type of purchasing for car tyres?

Aunt M

Aunt Masked

WOW after reading these comments you had better lift your game Afterpay because you have more competition now too. At least have the decency to answer these customers. As a shareholder I am not impressed! May have to support another business.

AFTERPAYAfterpay

Hello Aunt M - thanks for your concern, we have only just signed up to officially participate in this website.

JFoasked

Hi, I have started using Afterpay recently and love it. I placed numerous orders and paid them off quickly, both to get qantas points and also assuming this would stand me in good stead. Now multiple orders on succession have declined, and I just read that if you place multiple orders ‘this is a big red flag’! I had ample funds available for the payments. Does my Afterpay credit rating rehabilitate over time? I’m at a loss to understand why early payment would be a ‘big red flag’. I never would have kept submitting orders of I thought they would decline. I assumed it was an error with Afterpay and my credit limit was recalibrating overnight or something like that. Weird.

Sëa
Sëa

That’s what happened to me. No explanation just frustration. Don’t even bother with seeking help from their customer service. Useless robots.

AFTERPAYAfterpay

You will be shown an estimated amount you can spend when you log into your account or app. The amount you can spend using Afterpay generally changes based on how you use your account. We know that being aware of factors that influence your available spending can help you stay in control of your finances, so we’ve broken down some of those factors below:

Making payments on time

Your payment history is an important factor that affects how much you can spend with your account. Here are a few things to look out for that may impact your available spending:

Late payments
The frequency of late payments
How late a payment was made
How often scheduled payments on your account get declined
How often orders get declined due to insufficient funds on the payment method on-file
But just as there are things that might decrease the amount you can spend, good spending behaviour like making payments on time might increase what you can spend with your account.

We’re committed to making sure that our community feels empowered and in control of their finances, so if you’re facing financial hardship and are unable to make payments, contact us to ask about how we might be able to help.

How long you’ve been using Afterpay

If you’re a new Afterpay user, the amount you can spend will be lower than if you’ve been responsibly using the platform for a long time. Typically, the longer you’ve been using your account—and have made payments on time—the more likely the amount you can spend will increase.

Avoid declined purchases

Avoiding declined purchases is one way to help increase the amount you can spend with us in the future. To do this, check your account before making purchases to find out what you have available to spend. You should also make sure that the card you’re going to pay with has enough funds to cover the 1st payment.

JFo

That doesn’t answer the question at all. I knew all of that, as was clear from my question. What I am wanting to know are two things. First, how is it possible to avoid declined purchases if you don’t know how much is available to spend. The estimated amount is entirely misleading. My account shows that there is $600 available, but I can’t spend even a small amount. Secondly, will my account become ‘rehabilitated’ or cleaned of the declined transactions over time if I stop using it. I don’t want to try putting further transactions through if that will blacken the slate even more.

Dave H

Dave Hasked

I have no account with afterpay and you have taken $107.50 from my credit card 4055 ****_****_6489 on 6 September Please explain why and please reverse it now Thank you

Shane D.
Shane D.

Sorry, Dave. I have no idea, I'm not afterpay, I'm just a customer!
Suggest you go to https://www.afterpay.com/ and try the help section at the bottom.

Isabelle C.Afterpay

Hi Dave. We're sorry to hear this. I have flagged this with our team. Could you please email info@afterpay.com.au so we can resolve this issue for you ASAP. Thanks.

Tasha

Tashaasked

I've tried to change my number on afterpay but someone else has already used my number & now my account is frozen. How can I fix this?

Arnold Labares
Arnold Labares

Maybe you'd have to call them to have it fixed. Just my two cents.

Call us 1300 100 729

Get an answer from our members and Afterpay representatives

Other Buy Now, Pay Later Services