Afterpay Questions & Answers

296 questions from our users

Steve
Steve asked

Why would my limit go from 3000 to 2000 and Ive never missed a payment?

melissa m.
melissa m.asked

I've never missed a payment with afterpay now my spend limit has been reduced from $3,000 to $2,000 wtf???

Angela S.
Angela S.

Same thing happened to me today. Never missed a payment either. Think I’m gonna call them

Amber F.
Amber F.asked

I have had afterpay since 2015 or 2016 and spend 1000s with you, im on pulse rewards until mid 2022 never missed payments, always paid early, and recently i have a 3000 limit for in-store use and now its 2000 so why?

Suzi W
Suzi W

When this happened to me I was told that I had too many orders (even though I owed $227) and it takes 24 hours for the ‘system’ to recognise payments. I made a number of payments on 3 June but in the early hours of 4 June my limit decreased by $1000 for six hours. Restored now. I really think that Afterpay needs to stop with the algorithms.

Essie
Essie

I had the same I just checked and mines gone down to $2000 from $3000 also.

Edward B.
Edward B.asked

Any reason as to why my limit to spend would drop down to nothing for a late payment of one day without being charged a late fee?

Mick Rae
Mick Rae

Wow!! 1 day late.. Seems a bit harsh.. I have no idea.. Maybe contact them direct and ask.. If all your payments in the past have been on time I couldn’t honestly answer..’

they are playing cautious Candace
not spendthrift Stephen

Steph L.
Steph L.asked

Is anyone else getting declined for things? My limit is fine and no later payments.

stephen
stephen

Only when trying to use the app. Fine otherwise.

jacob

Same here with me I can’t buy gift card to I hv limit 2200 still getting decline

IONUTasked

Hi. What's the reason my limit from 3000 decreased to 2000 overnight without late payments?????

Arctic cub
Arctic cub

Yeah mine has done a similar thing, I’ve always paid before time or on the day never missed a payment I had about $800 or so to use now it says I have nothing, last time this happened they said there was a fault and they fixed it, so let’s hope they are on to it.

K.Jay

Same with me was 3000 a week ago... today 2000... I pay on time and even earlier... never missed even one payment... hope Australian goverment look into this fraud company... probably needs investigating.

IONUT

Is bad because i was going to dental clinc.....if start to do some work and qhen to pay ....what i do? Is different if buy something because you can leave ...

Myra S.asked

Are old customers able to get the 6 payments instead of 4

No such thing as 6 payments

Michelle P.
Michelle P.

There is no such thing as 6 payments, but if you contact Afterpay before something is late (like I did when Covid hit), they extended transactions I asked them to, by 2 weeks... I then had to earn my higher limit allowance though, again.

Myra S.

They are advertising 6 payments it's on tv all the time.Are you guys from Australia, Rebel Wilson is doing the adds and when I heard 6 payments and I'm still paying 4 I just wondered.
And I don't need help with payments I was just asking a question.

Skye B.
Skye B.asked

How can I unblock my afterpay account

Alan

Your bank can issue a new card without changing account number....

heard of the song by Toni Braxton? It's called Unbreak my heart
so follow the lyrics except substitute unbreak my heart to unblock my card you'd find the answers there.

absentbrunette
absentbrunetteasked

Why can I no longer use afterpay at Dolls Kill? I've used it multiple times before there and the website says I can shop there but when I try now it says "Sorry, Afterpay is not available for this retailer's site in your country".

Alan

I can only say my good faith in this company has pretty much left the building.....very difficult to get straight answers .....but do try to call....waste of time sending e-mails.....probably even better to contact the company....take out the middle man.

Merchant that is.....

Tanya E.
Tanya E.

Yes same here! Been trying to buy something from dolls kill and it wont let me :(

SamG
SamG asked

Hi there,

Just curious I haven’t used my after pay I. 12 months but used it appropriately prior - looking to use again but have noticed my limit has gone down after I kept it a high level and standard for so long can this be fixed / reinstated or why would this have changed?

Isabelle C.Afterpay

Hi Sam. Thanks for reaching out. We set out to build Afterpay as a tool to help people make the most of their money and manage their spending responsibly. Account limits are determined by a range of factors, like how long you have been a responsible shopper with Afterpay - making all payments on time. Once you start shopping with us again and demonstrating responsible shopping habits, the more likely the amount you can spend will increase. If you need further help, please get in touch with us directly at info@afterpay.com.au. Thanks, Isabelle.

jacob

i cant buy gift card i tried lots of tym but its getting failed but in past i used to buy gift card

Isabell you in Australia or China

Panaphat P.
Panaphat P.asked

My checkout gets declined for what and I still don’t know. 7 days ago was my first time having the account and I tried the barcode in the shop just to make sure I it will be there when I need to purchase something at the store and it appeared but I did not buy anything!. Then 3-4 days later I was trying to buy stuff online and then my checkout got declined and I have no idea what to do, even my barcode doesn’t appear now! , I haven’t bought anything yet and wasn’t able to ( so is that mean I will never be able to use Afterpay anymore?! & how would I fix it then? )

KKH

You can't "test" the bar code to see if it works lol. If you scan the code there must be an item in the system. If you play around with the barcode (generate one) and don't actually use it they will punish you for it. That's why you're being declined.

Isabelle C.Afterpay

Hi Panaphat. Thanks for reaching out! We approve every transaction in real-time and our spending limits start low and only increase gradually. The longer you have been a responsible shopper with Afterpay - making all payments on time - the more likely we will be able to approve your purchases and the more likely the amount you can spend will increase. If you would like us to look into this further for you, please get in touch directly at info@afterpay.com.au and our team will be happy to help. Thanks, Isabelle.

K.Jay

These people lie.... they are trained to copy paste we need an investigation launched for their practice.... who can get correct answer then these lies they tell us.

Drake
Drakeasked

Hi...So for the last 3 times I've used Afterpay on the Footlocker website to buy popular & highly sought after Nike Jordan shoes. My purchase gets to the order payment stage then maybe a day later I receive an email from not Footlocker but from your company saying my initial first payment has been refunded. Everytime I speak to someone from Footlocker they say the shoes have been sold out (despite me ordering after midnight/early morning & my size being available) & i get the impression they'd rather give the purchase to a customer who pays in full rather than me the Afterpay user, probably due to them receiving the payment straight away & not having to go thru your company to get that payment

So what's the point of me using Afterpay if stores that advertise using this method can deny my order & use the sold out excuse because they have another customer who is paying for that same product outright?
I can understand for buying basic, cheap or unpopular products Afterpay may work but if an item is very highly sought after & in demand do the Afterpay users have the same odds of buying that item as another person who has the finances to pay the full amount? Maybe us Afterpay users will only be able to use Afterpay on items no one wants or with high level of stock while the popular limited quantity products go to the people who can afford to buy now... Doesn't seem fair when it's stated that I can use Afterpay on every item on that online store... also your company is encouraging me to use Afterpay regularly but how can I if I can't even get what I want?

VJC
VJC

I don’t think you are on the right track here. The products sound like they have just sold out/been oversold. A company using Afterpay doesn’t get paid in installments. They are paid by Afterpay in full (minus the fee) and you now owe Afterpay the money - nothing to do with Footlocker

KKH

When you pay with afterpay the merchant doesn't see that the money is coming from afterpay. The merchant will see that it's been paid by a credit card which is assigned to you from afterpay. I can confirm this as I had issues trying to prove to a couple of merchants that I never paid them with a credit card I used afterpay.

Karen Spencerasked

I had $3000 to spend and never missed a payment ..since yesterday my limit has gone to $2000..I don’t understand why...I always pay the payments before they r due.

Kirsten B.
Kirsten B.

Yes the same happened to me. Also their refunds are no longer automatic. Not a great way to repay your loyal customers Afterpay!

Mickey K.
Mickey K.

Same happened to mine....not happy about it either.

Karen Spencer

I’ve emailed them but still waiting for an answer..can’t call the wait is too long.

Jessie w
Jessie wasked

My spending limit is $0.00 and I owe $700 if I make a payment will my spending limit come back again?

Carly C.
Carly C.

I'm having this exact same issue today! My spending limit is $0.00 & I haven't missed any payments or anything.

Ella
Ella

I’m also having the same problem today! spending limit is $0.00 my limit just disappeared and have never missed a payment and are always on time!

Mel
Mel

I think it may be a glitch as mine has done the same thing just since yesterday arvo. I have also never had any issues with payments or anything and nothing is due until next week

Armagan S.
Armagan S.asked

Hello guys , What happens if I never pay my after pay dept ? Does it affect my relationship with other real banks ?

KKH

Afterpay will send debt collectors and put a mark on your credit record so id say yes it will affect your relationship with other lenders

Irene T.
Irene T.asked

I have been trying to buy a gift card and it keeps coming up with an error message.

Application error does anyone know or is it happening with you.

Miss T.
Miss T.

Since day one e gift cards came out on afterpay it rejects me, so I've decided finally to contact them last night. No reply yet

Rainbowdash
Rainbowdash

Yeah I’m having same issue. I’ve purchased gift cards before on the app with no issue. I’ve always paid my payments on time. Now I can’t. I ask them and they can’t tell me why

Natasha C.
Natasha C.

Always make sure money is in your account to cover the first payment for gift cards. Check that your card isn't expired also. There's a few reasons it'll come up with that error. Another reason could be that the gift card amount you're going for is sold out.

Senthil K.
Senthil K.asked

Promotional offer purchase and payment processing issue ?
Very frustrating customer support in resolving issues and I would suggest to shut down the firm if they are not able to serve their customers. We have called multiple time to resolve my issue but no luck and my friends whom I referred getting disappointed and blasting like anything.

No words to say beyond this except very very poor customer service. Still looking someone to resolve my issue and my first purchase not getting processed yet.

Amy
Amyasked

I have a 2000.00 limit and owe nothing but it keeps telling me my account is frozen. Why??

ashley S.
ashley S.

The same thing is happening to me too, and the reason for that is apparently I was late with one of my payments.

lsdudley29
lsdudley29asked

I tried to use my afterpay account for the first time since like 2016 and when i went to use it, afterpay declined the transaction but still charged my card anyway. Tried looking for an answer as to why but ive found nothing

KKH

Call the bank immediately and request a charge back.

Lucy
Lucyasked

If I want to make a purchase on a website that accepts afterpay but its over my limit of 1500 (purchase is $2300) then when I checkout will it just charge me 2300-1500 up front? then the remaining 1500 I can have on afterpay? Hopefully that makes sense

KKH

You need to call afterpay they might or might not increase your limit otherwise you'll only be able to spend 1500 and you need to pay the rest yourself.

Get an answer from our members and Afterpay representatives

Other Buy Now, Pay Later Services