• Safety
  • Thick Fabric Performance
Karin

KarinSouth East Queensland, QLD

Ditched after 12 months!

After using this machine just 3 times in 12 months, the feeder dog stopped working so fabric won't feed through the machine when stitching. As also stated by others, some issues with cotton thread breaking and trouble adjusting the tension. Don't waste your money.

Purchased in September 2018 at ALDI for A$99.00.

Reetu

ReetuSydney, NSW

Its amazing

Its easy nd great. I love it. Very handy to use. I bought 30$ . It makes my life so easy coz i always want to buy a sewing machine but i never used before so smwhere i was not happy to spend 200$+. I bought for a try nd its suprb

Purchased in September 2020 for A$30.00.

Sewing Experience LevelBeginner
Kimberley R.

Kimberley R.Queensland

Amazing

Despite the reviews, I actually love this machine. I've made many cloth pads etc and haven't had any issues. It sets perfect with great quality needles and thread. I absolutely love this little machine

Sewing Experience LevelBeginner
Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how ALDI Sewing Machines compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Jodie

JodieGippsland, VIC

Great overlocker

There has been so much negative about the Aldi overlocker that I wanted to put this post up. I went to Aldi yesterday just to see what the overlocker was like. When I got there they only had 2 available so on impulse I grab one and must say I am impressed. I have own an old janome ezy lock for year, it a great machine but it's a pain to thread. The Stirling opens up fully for a very easy threading. I have only sewn cotton so far but I'm impressed and so glad I took the leap without thinking yesterday. The inside are metal so should last.

Purchased in September 2020 at ALDI for A$199.00.

Sewing Experience LevelIntermediate
Deb

DebGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Worst machine ever

Cotton continually snaps and needs rethreading. Never been able to get the tension even. Bobbin cotton often breaks. It sounds ‘clunky’. Cotton nearly always breaks when you change the thickness (eg. pleat), no matter how slow you go. LED light needs to be supplemented with an external lamp to see clearly. I have broken about 4-5 needles in the course of sewing 6 masks. False economy, wouldn’t recommend.

Julie Butler

Julie Butler

Disappointing machine

Side loading bobbin regularly jams. Cotton reel sits in short mounts, slips off during sewing and falls off when filling bobbin. Reverse switch requires too firm push. Don't bother trying.

Alison H.

Alison H.Sydney, NSW

cheap, so disappointing

I decided to get this machine as I wanted to get back into my sewing, within the first few stitches the needle bent, then after changing the needle it stopped working, threads will bunch up, then the material would bunch up, tried everything to get it working. I got my way through sewing a face mask nearly to the end before it stopped working. I now need to buy a new machine - I would not recomend this machine to anyone, waste of money.

So disappointed

I just bought this machine after having a janome, sewed 2 seams and it doesn't work now. Tried everything to get it working .wasted my money. Will now have to buy another machine but would definitely not buy or recommend this nachine.

Sewing Experience LevelIntermediate
Fedup

FedupPottsville

Absolutely the best sewing machine I have ever had

Date PurchasedApr 2009

no help

I had this bought as a gift for Christmas in the Derby store, and it came threaded up prior to my purchase Great.My joy soon turned to disappointment because of the poor quality thread that it had been pr threaded with which which was very thin and broke off as i was taking it through. I am now struggling to get anyone to help with this

Date PurchasedDec 2016
The Sewing Guy

The Sewing GuyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Re-badged Janome - What's not to like?

Well, it is a pain to thread, more so than our Bernina 800DL, but I bought 3 for the school I teach at and they have been great. Considering that they are used by a succession of students who don't "own" them, the have been trouble free. They are serviced every 3 months with out other machines and the service guy says that there is no difference between them and the Janome branded one - no lower quality parts, no shortcuts. It's the self same machine. An absolute windfall, I was able to get the three (having to go to 2 stores, as each store only had 2 delivered - cleaned out one store, one from the other) for what had been allowed in the budget for one.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
SallyS

SallyS

Rebranded Janome, excellent entry level overlocker

Alright for beginners

I got this for my 18th bday after I first started studying fashion. Still works fine (6 years later with moderate use) on basic cottons when you can get the tension right. I had a lot of trouble threading it and getting the tension right, might just be me though. It's great for someone not needing to sew a lot of varying fabrics or if you want one but don't NEED one. If you sew a lot I'd suggest getting something like a Janome that is more reliable. I am upgrading to a Janome MyLock 644D. It was suggested by a sewing machine repairman (who had a very strong opinion against the Aldi overlocker I might add!) and a friend of mine who makes and sells hand made dresses for a living.

Gail

GailSydney, NSW

worked good for 14 months

I was very happy with this machine worked well!8 weeks out of 1 year warranty just stopped working i was very disapointed !At $199 not worth paying to fix!now i know why the warranty is only 12 months!The repair bill would be more than it cost for the machine!Great little overlocker when it was working!It just cost me $500 for a more reliable brand with 3 years warranty !

Jen

JenHunter Region, NSW

Moving parts bend, then no more sewing

I used my overlocker 5 times, at first it was brilliant, then for some unknown reason it jammed, after removing the offending material from under the foot and needle it didn't work the same, it broke 5 needles, then moving parts started hitting each other and finally no thread chains would be made. So, would I recommend it? based on my initial experience yes, but based on how easy it suffers critical operational damage, then NO. it may be worth spending a bit more for a higher quality build machine.

Yvonne G.

Yvonne G.Central Coast NSW

Overall good :)

annlou

annlounewcastle

Works well and good value

While threading the lopper is a pain the rest of the machine is great. Love using it, good value, should have bought on sooner. Would like to have more information in the booklet which is a bit basic. The machine looks a lot like a Janome8002D serger. Curious to see if that is what it really is.
cost was very reasonable
hard to thread looper

Jean41

Jean41Woodend

A nightmare!

Have spent 1 hour trying to thread the lower looper. It is so inaccessible, it is impossible. When I purchased it the machine sewed well, but now the lower looper thread has broken and that is the end of sewing!
Am now looking to dispose of it and buy a more user friendly brand.
Inexpensive
A bad design for the lower looper threading. It is hidden in the works and hard to access.

bernieboy

my mum brought me one of these and I love it but I spent most of high school textiles classed threading overlockers for the price it is excellent only downside no two thread overlocking

House of Pants
House of Pants

Can you help with what settings you have it in Bernieboy? I am struggling!

all tensions on 3, stich lenght 3 and your differential three 1.0

This overlocker is terible

I have previously owned a brother overlocker, 3 threads, when it was thirty years old I decided to buy the 4 thread Lumina from Aldi. This has been a major disappointment.I finally convinced my husband that I needed this machine and it would be great. No so. The threading mechanism is terrible, so cumbersome and the thread keeps breaking. I have spent so much time rethreading and very little sewing. When sewing fine fabric the trick is not to have to sew it many times. I wouldn't recommend this machine to anyone.
In expensive
Terrible threading mechanism

This is an overlocker that Janome provides the majority of parts for and Aldi then assembles. Any parts are usually available at your Janome stockist. It is a basic overlocker and wont hem overlock but you have to pay a larger amount for an overlocker with that feature. It is a good basic machine for overlocking edges to be used in conjuction with your sewing machine.
Clear and easy to read threading diagrams.
Threading the lower looper.