Alfa Romeo 159

Aaron

AaronGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Perfect car

I loved my 159 diesel,
I used to get 960k out of a tank with 70 freeway 30 Citi and 1100 straight freeway. The car was pretty reliable with own a couple parts needing replacement in my ownership.

Purchased in January 2010 at Private seller for A$16,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Absolute Luxury Bargain. Make sure you get one with the work done on it

Purchased in April 2017 for A$7,500.00.

Noise Level
Comfort
DoNotTrust

DoNotTrustVictoria

Pleasantly surprised

Having always admired the style of this car I finally decided to take a chance on an Alfa. I've owned a number of BMW's, an Audi as well as a couple of older fords in my youth for reference. I bought from a guy moving overseas for a really low price and figured I'd need to spend a few dollars fixing whatever was wrong with it although I could not for the life of me find anything wrong with it when I bought it. Anyhow, I had put aside $4k to fix any potential problems but after owning it for over 2 years and driven it over 40000km I'm still waiting for something to go wrong! So much for Alfa's bad reputation! None of my 4 new BMW'S gave me trouble free motoring. Love this thing.

BadgeJTS Ti
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Shannon B

Shannon BAdelaide

Yay!!!! Finally an Alfa that works!

This is my third red Alfa after being burnt by very unreliable 33 and 156 models. This car is a joy to look at and undoubtedly the most stunning car on the road. I bought mine secondhand at 3 years old with 38000kms on the clock. 4 years and 100000kms later can happily say it has not broken down once or hand any glitch or malfunction that I have had with any other Alfa. Everything works all the time. Granted it doesn't drive with the same soul that the older Alfas had. Its more like a the Toyota Camry of Alfas but its great to finally own one that is reliable and doesn't cost $1000's in repairs.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Sparky

SparkyBrunswick

Great value Euro-Styled Gem

Date PurchasedApr 2010
Gdrive

GdriveSydney

Great car to drive, to look at and reliable too.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013
Stevo

StevoAU

Style And Grunt That Eats Audis For Breakfast

BadgeJTD Ti
Date PurchasedOct 2016

$ vs Experience (Excellent)

Just brought a 2007 Q4 3.2 auto JTS with 110000km. Took it to my local mechanic & could do the work required. Looks great, gets up & goes so well. Sounds superb & can be a little thirsty. (Who cares) Loving the experience especially for the price paid. Very nice

BadgeJTS Q4
Engine Size3.2

Updated review (see FUN!!)

Bob

BobAuckland, New Zealand

2012 Alfa 159Ti Unreliable

This was my second Alfa 159 (the previous one was a 2007 model 2.2JTS).

After less than two years, the aircon stopped working and it took the dealer three and a half months to get it working again.

I filed a claim with the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal for the unreasonable time it took to affect the repair.

The MVDT concluded that the vehicle "failed to comply with the guarantee of acceptable quality in the Consumers Guarantee Act."

It also concluded that it didn't involve a "failure of substantial character" and so refused to award me any compensation. I don't agree with that decision. To me, having a car without aircon in the middle of summer is a failure of substantial character.

BadgeTi
Danny

DannyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Updated Review After A Few Months Of Living With It.

BadgeJTS Selespeed

Best looking car ever

I have a alpha Romeo 159 2.4 turbo diesel and it is a pure delight to drive. Very sexy to look at and has a very sporty feel whilst driving. It handles beautifully and has a ton of pace. Only criticism is its a bit low to the ground so have to watch steep decent car parks. You do need find a good service centre or you can be ripped off.

BadgeJTD Ti
Ay

AySydney, NSW

Lovely car to own but headache for reliablity

The car handles well . My advise buy the manual only . Got the problem after 110k on clock. The quality material especially the leather asthonishing. After you reach more than 110k better sell it the car will cost you a lot of problem maintenance cost sometimes not worth . And the resale value drop dramaticcally over time. But dont worry about to sell it. There's always some Italian fanatic who wants the car. I sell it for market value only 3 days. Surprise

Colincaulfield

2011 Alfa 159 1750 Ti

This would have to be one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. The comfort levels are brilliant as I'm 6'4" and that can be a problem, solved by having electric heated leather sports seats that fit both my wife an
d I perfectly. The car doesn't need to be driven hard it does the job perfectly and goes plenty hard enough when needed. Its about to go in for its 70,000k service and compared to a friends BMW325 the 159 has cost 1/5th of his service costs over the same period/mileage. Its simply been a pleasure to own.. looks great and has been a car I've loved to drive for 3 years.

Engine Size1.7
Badge1750 TBi Ti
cruiser711

cruiser711

Just love driving my Alfa

Had this Alfa, a JTD 159 for about 3 years now. I love this beautiful machine. i love the way it looks, the way in handles and the way it makes me feel. I haven;t had any problems except changing the glow plugs and a thermostat. It's not done 115k and i've loved every minute of it.

I previously drove a VW golf diesel and I liked that too. However it looked bland and lacked character. The 159 gets comments wherever I go. It's practical yet sporty. it has all the gadgets and functions I love. I had a ECU re-programmed and this has improved the drive even further with an incredible improvement in performance. I'm averaging about 8.5l/100kms. around town with the occasional spirited drive through the Adelaide hills on the way home.

3 Times owned

Great Car.

I bought a JTS Q4 3.2 with some trepidation given the Alfa reputation on relability...... and so glad I did. My previous car was a VW R32 and one year later the alfa still puts a smile on my face in a way the VW never did. There isn't the same practicality as the VW ie internal storage/cup holders etc, but as far as reliabilty is concerned no problem with the alfa - I had the VW back to the dealer twice in the first year.
Great car, handling, performance, relabilty.
Not enough cup holders.... maybe

Voted the world's most beautiful car in 2006

BradBrisbane

Poor quality cars Alfa romeo

Mrs159

Which model and year Brad?

Brad

2007 jtdm, this car has been to the dealer continually over the last 6 months. The alfa 159 is a true lemon.

Mrs159

Have you had yours since new, Brad? Why did you chose a diesel engine? I'm not a fan of diesel as they sound like tractors on the road and cost a fortune to service and maintain.

Merlin51h

Merlin51h

A very nice automobile

Engine Size1.7
Badge1750 TBi
Brad

Don't buy an Alfa, you will have issues with DPF, electrics and it going into limp mode whenever it's not happy. They drive nice and look good but it will spend more time at your mechanics than in your garage.

Mrs159

Merlin51h, I agree with you. Its been one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned and driven.