Volkswagen Passat

Volkswagen Passat

B6 MK6, B7 MK6, B5 MK5, etc...

See the Best Sedans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Terrible transmission Very expensive to fix

I had the Passat for 1 year and it was nothing but trouble from the start. Transmission problems, EPC lights coming on and other issues too. Costs an arm and a leg to fix and not all mechanics touch European cars and even auto-electricians shy away from VW's.

Interior is nice, with quality touches here and there but overall a very bad experience. Probably wont ever buy a VW or Audi in future.
Terrible!

Purchased in November 2018.

Year2006

dontwannawalk

dontwannawalkSydney, NSW

Nice car but fundamentally flawed

Purchased in October 2013 at Barloworld.

BoughtNew
Year2013
Zoot

ZootPerth, WA

I will NEVER purchase another VW (Passat or sny VW for that matter)

Purchased in March 2011 at Volvo dealership for $30,000.00.

Year2008
Jason

JasonPerth, WA

Automatic transmission is a money pit

Purchased in July 2014 at AHG (Automotive Holdings Group) for $21,000.00.

TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)
Year2010

MariaPerth, WA

Passat R-line, Luxurious

I use this Passat R-line sedan for work and for private use. It is very comfortable but most of all, very economical. I can get a 1000 km out of a tank of petrol.
I love the luxury package, the memory seat position, the stylish dashboard, the driver assist options, though at times it thinks it is smarter than I am and tries to make decisions for me, ie, changing lanes in traffi:, if the car thinks the other car is too close, it would try to stop you from moving to the other lane. However, once you are use to driving this smart car, you will get use to the intellect. It is stylish and a pleasure to drive.

Badge206TSI R-Line
Date PurchasedOct 2018

renlee

renleeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic car

Recently purchased the Passat R-Line wagon to carry our two bikes. This is the best car I have every owned, the comfort is just outstanding and the safety and mod cons is terrific. The car has a lot of space, more than the Tiguan we were going to purchase originally. This car has every luxury in it and is just a blast to drive, would highly recommend this vehicle. The only negatives are the Satnav leaves a bit to be desired but I just plug in my phone and use Google maps through Apple car play, fixes that issue and also the car does not have a DAB radio which is slightly annoying. Other than those two slight problems that car is amazing.

Badge206TSI R-Line
Date PurchasedAug 2018

GraemeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good car to drive but had a few faults

BadgePassat
Date PurchasedJun 2012
Graeme

When you buy a new car for about $45000.00 you don't expect to be quoted $7000.00 to fix the Satnav & reversing camera, 15% of the cost of the car for a Sat Nav that you could probably something similar at Autobarn for well under $1000.

Remarkably good

A limousine like car with a smooth silent ride, a spacious interior and cavernous boot. An overall average of 7.2 ltr/km suggests economy rather than performance but it has surprising acceleration especially when overtaking. Fit and finish are excellent, well above others in the market of a similar price
BTW the car was cheaper in Australia than its equivalent in the UK or Germany! The car has been faultless so far at 50k with not even a rattle. We were so impressed that we bought the latest Polo as a second car

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Dejan

DejanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

This car is the best car I ever owned

I bought 2013 Passat v6 4 motion 2 1/2 years ago .At the beginning I was heaving noises at timming chain Area,was Quoted at volks wagon $6000 to change it my mehanicar stripped it And everything looked brand new he replaced tensioner bolt for timing chain problem fixed
Never had any problems again
I am in love with it now, preformance is just amazing
Recommend to change engine oil every 5000 km

Date PurchasedJun 2009

Arif

ArifWollogong

Amazing car VW PassatCC

Vw Passat cc is the amazing car to drive very very reliable and very efficient on full Diesel engines sound is very low very comfortable full lather interior wonderful to drive very powerful full luxury features heated seats low maintenance running cost is very low My personal experience is highly recommended

BodyCoupe (CC)
Date PurchasedMay 2016

RobCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

VW PASSAT

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Qingdao ren zai Mel

Qingdao ren zai MelMelbourne

Tech, comfort, economy

You would love the driving experience, I do mean that on the highway, over 60kph; the gearbox is still a little bit worried me, as it is running not smooth in gear 1 and 2 under 40kph. But other than that, Passat is a perfect car for the family, I am having a B8 Passat Wagon TSI Comfortline. I love it so much (as mentioned, a little bit worried about the gearbox - DSG 7 speed.) 16500km, average petrol consumption: 8L per 100km; carplay, andrio auto; full safety features. btw auto adjustment seat for driver only. lol

Badge132 TSI Comfortline
Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedDec 2015
Frank X

Frank XGold Coast

Love it

I am a international student studying in Australia from 2016. The reason I chose VW is that i believe both the quality and appearance, as well as the driving experience in German auto brands.

The car is so quite and steady wherever places i drive both including the country roads or high way. The leg room is wonderful and it is quiet fuel efficiency on the highway.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Alex

Alex

The best car I’ve ever driven, german engenering, what can I say

Very comfortable, materials not cheap, very precise vehicle, joyable ride, like from not to distant future, spacious enterior, desing very beautiful and very functional with boot bigger than expected engine power even though being diesel is very powerful and yet so economical that is mind blowing so in conclusion one of the best cars in the world

Badge130TDI Highline

Date PurchasedSep 2011

Wiseman

WisemanCrows Nest

Great car

Car drives smoothly and with enough power. I got the 1.8TSI wagon. Fantastic for holidays.
Drive it everyday for work. Phone(s) connected and a panoramic sunroof.
The petrol bills are low as well. 750 km on a full tank of 58 litres.
Leather is great and overall a joy to drive.

Badge118TSI
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Very reliable and light on fuel

Badge110 Highline
TransmissionMaunal
Engine Size1.9
Date PurchasedApr 2006

rick

rick

Alltrack Passat, great vehicle to own and operate

Date PurchasedOct 2017

debraleayrasked

Looking for workshop paper manual

debraleayrasked

I'm looking for a paper workshop manual for a B7 2011 vw passat .

Maria

Sorry Debra, my Passat is a 2018 model. Have you tried the internet or a dealership?

debraleayr

Yes I have but can't find any

We need a 1.8 petrol not a diesel

Nickasked

Hi Steve,
I'm not if my question directly to you last night would have reached you, so thought I'd also do as a question to your review. Apologies up front if you read my question twice....

I have a 2009 Passat TDI 125kw with DSG6. Done 205,000 km and I've had since start 2014 with 80,000km.

Been a great car and had no issues since 2014. But then all of a sudden the gearbox decided to die three weeks ago. Flashing gear selector on the dash, and only going into first gear.

Took it to the auto transmission mechanic who suggested after doing a scan that it needed changing of one of the solenoids for $950 fitted. Presume this is one of the solenoid a in the mechatronic. This didn't fix problem. So they said $4500 for new mechatronic unit or take car to wreckers for $500.

Have since taken car to small mechanic who is looking for second hand DSG to install.

I see you replaced DSG. Can you please share any advice, such as where to source. Auto Trans man told me I can't do it.

Rob

Hi Nick ... I was sent your query in error I think as it is addressed as Hi Steve and I am Rob ... Sorry I can't assist ....hope you get the issue resolved.

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply and this advice.
I will try to see if I can this query again, but to Steve.
Regards,
Nick.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives