Volkswagen Passat

B6 MK6, B7 MK6, B5 MK5, etc...

• Braking
  • Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features
Chris C.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Deceptive Marketing: Expect a little more, get a lot less from Volkswagen.

Purchased in February 2020.

Donal O'Keeffe
Donal O'KeeffeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Passat B8 2.0TDI 150 DSG, a smooth, efficient, spacious sedan

Purchased in December 2019 at VW.

Nuts
NutsMelbourne

Nice car but VW service is pathetic

Germie
GermieVictoria

Absolutely Brilliant

Purchased in October 2016.

Danielle223
Danielle223Perth, WA

Great family car!!

Loving my Volkswagen Passat Alltrack. We bought it just before having a baby and it’s such a great family car. It’s comfortable and runs smoothly. Very spacious in the boot.

Purchased in August 2018.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Ashley
AshleySouth East Queensland, QLD

Great car, no significant problems

Purchased in August 2017.

Terrible transmission Very expensive to fix

I had the Passat for 1 year and it was nothing but trouble from the start. Transmission problems, EPC lights coming on and other issues too. Costs an arm and a leg to fix and not all mechanics touch European cars and even auto-electricians shy away from VW's.

Interior is nice, with quality touches here and there but overall a very bad experience. Probably wont ever buy a VW or Audi in future.
Terrible!

Purchased in November 2018.

dontwannawalk
dontwannawalkSydney, NSW

Nice car but fundamentally flawed

Purchased in October 2013 at Barloworld.

Zoot
ZootPerth, WA

I will NEVER purchase another VW (Passat or sny VW for that matter)

Purchased in March 2011 at Volvo dealership for $30,000.00.

Jason
JasonPerth, WA

Automatic transmission is a money pit

Purchased in July 2014 at AHG (Automotive Holdings Group) for $21,000.00.

Maria
MariaPerth, WA

Passat R-line, Luxurious

I use this Passat R-line sedan for work and for private use. It is very comfortable but most of all, very economical. I can get a 1000 km out of a tank of petrol.
I love the luxury package, the memory seat position, the stylish dashboard, the driver assist options, though at times it thinks it is smarter than I am and tries to make decisions for me, ie, changing lanes in traffi:, if the car thinks the other car is too close, it would try to stop you from moving to the other lane. However, once you are use to driving this smart car, you will get use to the intellect. It is stylish and a pleasure to drive.

Badge206TSI R-Line
Date PurchasedOct 2018
renlee
renleeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic car

Recently purchased the Passat R-Line wagon to carry our two bikes. This is the best car I have every owned, the comfort is just outstanding and the safety and mod cons is terrific. The car has a lot of space, more than the Tiguan we were going to purchase originally. This car has every luxury in it and is just a blast to drive, would highly recommend this vehicle. The only negatives are the Satnav leaves a bit to be desired but I just plug in my phone and use Google maps through Apple car play, fixes that issue and also the car does not have a DAB radio which is slightly annoying. Other than those two slight problems that car is amazing.

BodyWagon
Badge206TSI R-Line
Date PurchasedAug 2018
GraemeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good car to drive but had a few faults

BadgePassat
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedJune 2012
Graeme

When you buy a new car for about $45000.00 you don't expect to be quoted $7000.00 to fix the Satnav & reversing camera, 15% of the cost of the car for a Sat Nav that you could probably something similar at Autobarn for well under $1000.

Remarkably good

A limousine like car with a smooth silent ride, a spacious interior and cavernous boot. An overall average of 7.2 ltr/km suggests economy rather than performance but it has surprising acceleration especially when overtaking. Fit and finish are excellent, well above others in the market of a similar price
BTW the car was cheaper in Australia than its equivalent in the UK or Germany! The car has been faultless so far at 50k with not even a rattle. We were so impressed that we bought the latest Polo as a second car

BodyWagon
Badge132TSI
TransmissionDSG
Date PurchasedJune 2016

Dejan
DejanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

This car is the best car I ever owned

I bought 2013 Passat v6 4 motion 2 1/2 years ago .At the beginning I was heaving noises at timming chain Area,was Quoted at volks wagon $6000 to change it my mehanicar stripped it And everything looked brand new he replaced tensioner bolt for timing chain problem fixed
Never had any problems again
I am in love with it now, preformance is just amazing
Recommend to change engine oil every 5000 km

Badge220FSI Highline
TransmissionDSG
Date PurchasedApr 2016

Melzi
Melziasked
Passat

Would you buy an Passat 09 diesel variant? I know diesel gate and DSG disasters... just wanting anyone’s solid experience. Thanks

Chris C.

Sorry, but I have only had petrol engines, so no experience with diesel variants.

Trent
Trent

I currently have a 09 diesel that has done 190k. Fantastic car. There have been some minor issue like a sensor that went but it’s been a great car that has given us very few issues. I never got the patch for diesel gate done. Maybe why I like the car still

Max Mar
Max Marasked
Passat B6 MK6 (2006-2011)

I own a VW Passat B6 diesel 2007. For the last year or more, I have had this strange shudder from 1200 to 1400 rpm. I have had the car scanned at VW and there is no error code. The shudder/vibration is present in neutral and felt when coasting to stop and the rpm drops to 1200 or when accelerating from stop and exactly from 1200 rpm to 1400 rpm. Beyond that range it is perfect. I have had the car looked at by the dealer, a Euro specialist and a Bosch service station. They all admit there is a shudder but cant identify the problem. The Euro guy thinks it may be the DMF but the VW dealer tells me that if it was the DMF, the noise would be far more audible and ruled it out. He reckons it is likely a injector or mechanical fuel pump issue. The car otherwise runs awesome. I have done 240K mostly drives between Wangaratta and Melbourne and before Sydney to Melbourne. I plan to drive it for as long as no major service issue props up, otherwise it is going to the wreckers. I'd never put a new DSG or spend any serious money on the car given its age and worth(lessness).

Steve H
Steve H

I had a similar problem "jerk" in 2007 passat tdi dsg6. Over time it got worse and at lights takeoff became quite embarrassing. Ended up being clutch packs and not mechatronics unit which mechanic said was 9 out of 10 times the problem. Second hand dsg6 fixed it for $2k. Other option was to rework my transmission at best anticipated minimum similar cost. That said an advisor in Germany (internet) suggested to me recently that siemens injectors can be spent around 160km, and at 160km upwards, an injector r and r and clean may eliminate future problems. I obtained a second set of used injectors and had them cleaned and reset for $60 each, and have them on standby in case. At roughly 20km/litre and my own 7500km servicing and parts from Denmark at 1/3 VW prices (including air freight), I love these cars and have had 2 x 2007 and will probably have a third given problems I researched in models from 2009-2013. Hope this helps. To "superior" unhelpful spectator comment, blow it out your ****. Good luck

Nadine T.
Nadine T.asked
Passat

I have noticed that my back top tail light remains on even when the car is turned off. I only notice it in the evening and at night.
I have a 2015 Volkswagen Pasat wagon. Is this a common issue? How can I resolve this?

Compare all 15 Volkswagen Passat
CategorySedansSedansWagons and SedansWagons and Sedans
Starting Price $39,790$42,790$39,790$43,790
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption6 L/100km6 L/100km6 L/100km6 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L59 L59 L59 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L
Max Power132kW @ 6200rpm132kW @ 6200rpm132kW @ 6200rpm132kW @ 6200rpm
Max Torque250Nm @ 1250-5000rpm250Nm @ 1250-5000rpm250Nm @ 1250-5000rpm250Nm @ 1250-5000rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)3 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015