See the Best Sedans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

My perfect car

I have owned this car since new, 16 years. I have been intending to update but I love it so much that I have yet to find anything I like as much. In that time, very little has gone wrong and even those things that have required maintenance have been minor things. In terms of Lexus, I cannot fault it; so impressive that my daughter bought a RX last years and I’m intending to buy a UX next. Comfort, safety but mainly that I feel the driver and the drive are one.

Purchased at Lexus of Canberra for $36,000.00.

BoughtNew
Year2003
Comfort

Does everything right and it's a Luxury car you can trust

It does everything right.

The 2.0 Turbo is a strong little unit with decent pull, it behaves like a small N/A v6 rather then a 4 cylinder which is quite unique. The only thing is that there is a bit of lag between 2500 and 3000 RPM in first gear, after that it hits boost. Fuel economy is excellent, 7.9 - 8.5 Urban, on highway I can get it to 4.5 to 6 litres which is brilliant.

One thing that lexus seems to understand, with a luxury car comes a premium drive train, every IS is rear wheel drive no matter what trim you go for. Unlike most German brands that are stuck on a FWD layout and you have to pay a ridiculous premium to get AWD system...

The Gear box is very quick on upshifts, the Aisin 8 speed is ZF like in how quick it is. However it can be a bit lazy on down shifts if you've been nannying it for a bit.

Front brakes are 4 piston soft compound rotors, car will stop at a dime but beware that this type of rotor and pads can wear quickly and create a lot of dust on the rims. Most luxury cars have this Rotor type whether it being a Lexus or BMW in general.

IS has a lot of standard features that most brands would have as an option. Interior is good quality and the leather seats are very soft. Infotainment system is a bit of an acquired taste but you do get used to it.

Lexus is really the only luxury brand for long term ownership, you have a luxury car with good fit/finish and with heaps tech that's built by Toyota so you can always trust it.

Positives:
Fit and finish
Strong turbo 4
Good quality leather seats
Interior is plush
Fuel economy
Rear wheel drive
Long list of standard features.
Impressive sound system, Subwoofer shakes the seats.

Negatives:
Transmission is a bit lazy on downshifts
Infotainment system needs a bit of getting used to
Lexus forgot to add a digital clock so your stuck with an analogue one
Turbo lag in first gear is noticeable.
Fsport matrix headlights are much better looking then the luxury.

Purchased in December 2018.

BoughtNew
Year2018

A luxury like no other

You can see the luxury before you sit in it. And once you sit in it, you can feel it. It's an amazing drive. I've own it for two years now and will definitely upgrade to the next model.

Purchased in January 2017.

BoughtUsed
Year2013

A very good, well made car

Bought secondhand with 141k on clock, with full Lexus service history. Daily drive.

The good:
Totally reliable, has now done 210k
Comfortable, smooth, quiet and reasonably quick
Ride and handling well sorted
Good auto box
Interior quality still as new e.g. leather in great condition, seat bolsters still good
Lexus service very good indeed - sticky plastic dash and door panels replaced at no cost (on a 9 year old car!) - Lexus are serious about quality and customer satisfaction
Inexpensive to maintain with sensible 15k service intervals

The bad:
Tight rear seat leg room - not a big deal
Low beam lights fairly ordinary
Paint marks rather easily (water based?)

Would I buy another? Absolutely. But this one has plenty of life left in it. A quality, well engineered car.

Purchased in April 2015 for $12,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2007
Comfort

Excellent workmanship, great value for money

After not a particularly good experience with a Mercedes C class I decided to see if the legendary reliability of Lexus is justifiable. Bought the IS 200t basic luxury model for a very good price and after one year and 20,000 km am happy to say that the car is performing extremely well. Some standard features such as the refrigerated seats are very handy on hot days, but this basic model doesn't have other potentially useful options so paying more for the upgrade is worth considering. The service is very good and they provide a complimentary car.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Luxury car with sub-standard parts, don't get trapped!

I purchased brand new IS 300H F Sports and after driving around 22000 KMS, disk rotors need machining/replacing and break shoes were 90% remaining. Contacted Lexus Australia and I have been advised that this is normal wear and tear and they can't do anything about this. I have been given quote to replace the rotors and breaks for $880 including labour. I am driving cars from past 25 years and never had to replace/machine the rotors before 80000 KM. I own 2 Lexus's and if I knew this before hand would have not recommended this car to any of my family & friends.
I got trapped and so are my family & friends, writing this review to save people their hard earned money.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Most reliable car ever

Great design, good handling. Also the most reliable car ever. nice color and interior room is good.
Very classy dashboard and great service after sales and pre sales service from Lexus.
Fuel consumption is slightly above average.
Backseat legroom is good.
Boot space is huge and wide for this size sedan.

BadgeIS300
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Excellent vehicle

The Lexus IS200 sedan discontinued 2005, 2 litre 6 cylinder engine great vehicle, 12 years old never a fault, nothing replaced no running problems, serviced twice a year $300 per service non dealer, handling is great, quiet and plenty of power, all instruments easily accessible while driving, good quality is expensive initial costs when new but worth the money, look to purchase two year old dealers vehicles and save $25000 off price at only 30000 km on clock. Will look to getting another Lexus car but am satisfied this vehicle could easily last twenty years.

Date PurchasedJul 2006

IS300 in red looks amazing

Clearly we opted for red because it goes faster!

Anyway, the car is very smooth and quiet to drive. The active cruise control is also a wonder in peak hour. Heated AND cooled leather seats are fantastic in the middle of winter, or just when you want to keep your food warm. The back seats are a little too cramped for space, though. The front is spacious, it's just the back could use some redesigning.

It is expensive to run with the current prices of fuel as well, given that it takes 98, but 95 only if you HAVE to. It runs on between 7-9/100km

BadgeIS300
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very Good Car Could be Better.

I like the look of the car, love the way it sticks to the road and the steering feel. Eight speed Auto is smooth and easy to use. I took every factory extra and it only added 8k to the price, same exercise with Mercedes would add 35k. Engine is now dated although "grunty" loves petrol 11.9 average per 100k. Panel fit and finish very good and it is very quiet. The mouse system is stupid and saved only by a great voice recognition system. There is no more room in the back than a Mazda 2, best sit in the front. Based on my other Toyota products car should be super reliable and easy to service, cheaper than the German "3". In the whole 4 year warrant period I only had I parking sensor replaced. The original brake pads feel great but will make the wheels filthy in 20k downhill and do not last. Dealers spoil you with loan cars, great golf days etc. I do like this car and will keep it longer than I normally do.

BadgeIS350
Engine Size3.5
Date PurchasedNov 2013

What a Car

All,
I have the IS350 version of this car and after 7 years of using it I seriously cant fault it. I look after it in terms of servicing on scheduled intervals and I do wash it at least once a month, however what has impressed me the most is its reliability. After 7 years the only thing I had to change on it is the original battery that has lasted almost 6 years (this is daily drive with on average 12-15k a year). No squeaks, no rattles, no mechanical issues the car just works day in and day out. Its the top upmost model but the only difference between it and the sports or prestige models are the extra luxury features. Mechanically both cars are identical. The engine is superb (3.5L naturally aspired), 6 sp gear box works very well (the new model has 8 speed). Speed wise its fast, I have clocked 5.8 sec on my watch but ready any reviews and reviewers can easily get 5.6 without too much effort. My reaction times might not be that quick lol. The car is also small to mid size, I like that as I don't need roomy car for big family. Saying that it fits comfortably 4 average adults. If you are after a 2nd hand, luxury, sport performance car that will not cost you a bom this is the car for you. Stay away from the 2nd hand germans esp twin turbo 335 from the same generation as is350, they will cost you more to fix then the cost of the car... this is from mates personal experience (he wanted a fast german car), he should have listed to me.

BadgeIS350
Engine Size3.5
Date PurchasedMay 2011

Can't complain

I like how smooth I can handle this car. I have got a second hand but thanks to the previous owner it was maintained beautifully. The biggest difference to me between budget car and premium car is stability on high way. No matter how fast I go, mine just goes smooth as if nothing happens. I would upgrade to a new Lexus when it gets old, I am a huge Lexus lover now!

BodyConvertible
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Pretty happy with it

Bought it second hand from Toyota, so the price is a little on the pricey for its vintage. But what I get is a peace of mind.

I like the luxury trimmings like electric heated seats, satnav, reverse camera, proximity key sensor, push start-stop, electric sun roof, etc.

What I don't like is that the car feels underpowered at 2.5L for its size. The only saving grace is that it has a V6 engine. I tend to floor it a lot and because of that have very bad fuel economy.

But because of its weight, it does feel really stable at high speeds and engine is pretty quiet.

Overall I do enjoy driving it.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Perfect for my needs. Comfortable, excellent amount of standard features

Handling and cornering is well balanced, noise is well suppressed at any speed. Performance could be improved for a 2.5L V6 engine. But Engine is extremely smooth and engine noise is well suppressed in cabin
Do not like the fact that you have to adjust fan speed via the touch screen. Legroom is reasonable for anyone up to 6ft. Sunroof does intrude a bit into roofline. Very quiet cabin overall with little/no rattles except over heavy bumps.
So far no reliability issues and smooth transmission and engine. Running costs are average for a luxury car and is comparitively cheaper to service than equivalently Merc C Class or BMW 3 Series. Lexus of Perth service is 2nd to none to any other dealers in perth i have encountered at any price range of cars.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Modern and Good Quality Car

Easy to drive, fuel efficient and excellent service. Driving experience is excellent: the handling is smooth and responsive. The car performs very well in a surburban setting, and is very low noise. The interior design is sleek, with an intuitive dashboard and plenty of leg room.
The car is reliable and overall would recommend.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

love driving

I really enjoy this car. beautiful to drive. I always wanted a Lexus and I worked so hard to be able to purchase it. Its exactly how I expected it to be! Just Awesome

I would definitely class not as a luxury vehicle and the interior is beautiful. Mine is caramel coloured and I have noticed its hard to keep clean. I wish I got black as it would be less cleaning but the caramel does look more luxurious

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Comfortable and fun car

I have an IS200 auto and rate this car very highly. My last car was a Wrx sti and I enjoy driving the Lexus so much more. It has been very reliable and good on fuel. The engine note also sounds fantastic. I think these cars have potential to reach classic status one day.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Perfect

Luxury, quite and cheap on petrol. It's just Toyota and it's really reliable. The best thing is that if won't cost you lots when you go the service. The interior looks good and the heated seat is awesome for winter. Cannot live without it now. Over all it is a great car.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Prestige Prowess without Petrol Paralysis

My IS300h hybrid is one of the best looking, economical and reliable vehicles on the road. As an Uber Black vehicle you couldn't pick a better match. Performance and handling from a rear wheel drive that is whisper quiet, great turning circle and super economical real world figures of 5.9 litres per 100 kms, it is hard to beat. I love it and you would too.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great car

Never really thought about a Lexus as a sporty car, Had a few other brands in the past, Mercedes SLK, VW R32, Audi S3 etc.
Wanting to get away from the newer turbo models I started looking for normally aspirated cars with sports variants.
Happened upon the IS 350 F Sport and after a drive went looking for one I could afford.
Had it for 6 months now, great car, goes very well (233kw) big brakes, tight suspension but still comfortable compared to my Euro cars ;) Average l/100 10.4 commuting. Even saw 7.9 on a long cool trip one day.
The sound system is superb (ML)
Mine is even Red like the original reviewers car :)

I would like to know is any other IS300h owners have had a problem with their cars getting a flat battery after leaving them locked and not used for a couple of weeks.... this has happened to me 3 times now over the past 2 years... every time I go on holiday .i have a 2014 model
Any cars battery will go flat if not driven, its a common fault.Shouldn't happen in a couple of weeks unless you have a leak somewhere. I am assuming your battery isn't on its last legs or anything.

Q to 8675309 What about the famous @ 150 000km timing belt change required & the coolant leak ? What's your take on this ?
Have not experienced either on IS 350. Have had three Lexus, RX 330, IS 250 C and IS 350. Did change timing belt on RX and it was a major service, around $2,000 as I recall but spread over 10 years, not that big! The others are still less than 50k but never a coolant leak!Normal (major) service. Timing belt, timing belt tensioners, water pump and drive belts. If you got to an independent and competent mechanic, should cost anywhere from $1300 to $1800. Considering the task is every 150,000km it is not very expensive, but definitely understand it is a big hit of cash in one go.

hi guys, im planning to buy a lexus IS250 2006 or 2007, most of them have been worked for 120000km above and price is almost 20000$, so please give me your recommendation and so on whether to buy it or not? awesome
I am not sure though lexus cars have a good reputation so why not take the plunge and buy the lexus car model

Lexus IS 300 Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS 300 F Sport (2013-2019)Lexus IS 300 Sports Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS 300h Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS 300h F Sport (2013-2019)Lexus IS 300h Sports Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS 350 Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS 350 F Sport (2013-2019)Lexus IS 350 Sports Luxury (2013-2019)Lexus IS XE10 (1999-2005)Lexus IS XE20 (2005-2013)
CategorySedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedansSedans
Starting Price $59,340$66,820$77,830$61,890$70,310$81,160$65,100$72,880$83,500$49,500$55,800
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)AutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolHybridHybridHybridPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors44444444444
Seats55555555555
Fuel Consumption7.5 L/100km7.5 L/100km7.5 L/100km4.9 L/100km4.9 L/100km4.9 L/100km9.5 L/100km9.5 L/100km9.5 L/100km9.9 L/100km9.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L70 L65 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L6 Cylinder 3.5L6 Cylinder 3.5L6 Cylinder 3.5L6 Cylinder 2.0L6 Cylinder 2.5L
Max Power180kW @ 5800rpm180kW @ 5800rpm180kW @ 5800rpm133kW @ 6000rpm133kW @ 6000rpm133kW @ 6000rpm232kW @ 6600rpm232kW @ 6600rpm232kW @ 6600rpm114kW @ 6200rpm153kW @ 6400rpm
Max Torque350Nm @ 1650-4000rpm350Nm @ 1650-4000rpm350Nm @ 1650-4000rpm221Nm @ 4200-5400rpm221Nm @ 4200-5400rpm221Nm @ 4200-5400rpm380Nm @ 4800-4900rpm380Nm @ 4800-4900rpm380Nm @ 4800-4900rpm195Nm @ 4600rpm252Nm @ 4800rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Power Steering
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)
Release dateJul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Jul 2013Mar 1999Nov 2005
Discontinuation dateDec 2005Dec 2013