ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards
Card TypeVisa
BenefitsComplimentary Travel Insurance and Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer
Minimum Credit Limit $6,000
Minimum Income $35,000
Additional Cardholders 9
Additional Cardholder Fee $65 p.a.
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 0.75 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 0.75 Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to and including $3,000 per statement period

• 0.5 Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases above $3,000 per statement period

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate19.99% p.a.
Annual Fee$295 p.a.
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.49% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive 50,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months.
Release dateMay 2007

Easy set up and good rewards points

Have always found ANZ cards to be easy to set up and customer service has always been outstanding. Keep checking to see when they have rewards points on offer for setting up your card - always a nice bonus when you get a card. Qantas is my main airline for flights and I find the points are transferred quickly and there are reports on what points have gone across. Easy FF card.

Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

ANZ Frequent Flyers Platinum

Works well for me because I have family interstate so the payment I make in fees is covered by the return Virgin Flight I get each year that I would have had to pay for anyway to see my children as well I also get the opportunity to use the Virgin Lounge twice a year.
Also I save fees on overseas purchases and when I travel and find it works better with this card but exchange rate is no different have had this card now for 3 years and works well for me personally if you don’t travel there are better deals.

Card Start DateJune 2017

Widely acceptable credit card

The ANZ Platinum Visa card is a widely acceptable credit card. Hence, it is accepted everywhere and it has never been declined. This is its greatest asset. Additionally, the Rewards program is very attractive as I receive 1.5 points for every dollar spent. However, the Rewards program is mandatory and not an option. The annual fee for the Card is approximately $20 while the annual fee for the Rewards program is approximately $40. Consequently, if I receive a $100 voucher each year (which I usually do) it really amounts to $60 once the fee is deducted that is not so incredible. The point is, the more I spend, the more rewards points I accrue. Ultimately, if one spent a lot of money each year on hotels and travel, etc, the Rewards program would be greatly beneficial.

Card Start DateApril 1995
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

OK to start with

They waived the first year fee and 65000 Qantas rewards point for new sign up at that time. Afterwards the annual fee can cost around $275. For spending above $3000 the point earning rate drops to 0.5 (normally 0.75).
It costs a quite a lot for overseas transactions both. Purchasing an item from stores such as BookDepository and TobyDeals Australia that are based overseas is also charged the extra overseas transaction fee.

Online Experience

Frequent Flyer rewards now very low.

Costs a lot extra for partners & extra to connect you & partners rewards to your FF program. Now only HALF a point for every dollar spent up to $2000 then you get NONE! Has got worse over the years since I joined ANZ over 20 years ago. Now looking for a better deal on cards. Wake up ANZ, you will lose more customers if you dont offer more. Read the fine print [for any card] before joining.

Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Was Ok at start then went bad

Note: I will be switching to a different card very soon.
The ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum started off with 2 cards a Visa and Amex (pictured above) with the Visa getting 1 point per $ spent and Amex getting 2 points per $ spent.
The Amex was removed and the Visa now only gets half the points it did per dollar before or .75 up to $3000 spend!
Qantus points are very variable in how much they are worth but I don't think I am using them enough to cover the additional cost of the card.
This card costs $295 (at time of writing) which is considerably more than the regular Platinum which is currently $0 if you spend more than $20,000 on the card in a year (otherwise $87) or $95 for their non flyer Platinum rewards. Note: The two rewards cards also charge an extra $65 per additional card holder the regular Platinum does not!
The points for the Frequent Flyer are Qantus points - Personally I really don't like flying with Qantus or Jetstar and try avoid them where possible.
There are a lot nice features on this card that such as the travel insurance and hire car insurance however most of these same benefits seem to be available on the regular platinum.

Card Start DateJanuary 2014

Not interested

I recently saw that I was charged around 300.00 per year for this card. When I asked if they could do better since I was a long standing customer, they were not interested. So card cancelled and I can get the same at CBA for 50.00. And I get more points for dollars spent. So ANZ lift your game.

Disgusting customer service

My card is up for renewal fee.
I called ANZ and was put to the cancellation team!! I never asked to cancel just consider reduce or waive the renewal fee. The lady on the phone was extremely rude and was hoping i actually cancel the card!!
Disgusting customer service....hope these jobs go offshore and teach them a lesson how to "retain customers".

Travel Claim Took Too Long

I travelled overseas in June and had a fall on a cruise ship, dislocating my shoulder. After going onshore to Juneau Hospital for treatment I was left with a bill for $3,842.27. I contacted the insurance and was told to keep all receipts and lodge a claim on my return to Australia. Once home I downloaded all the necessary forms from QBE and the checklist with all required supporting documents and submitted my claim in August and informed them that I was still waiting for some outstanding receipts from the hospital but would forward credit card receipts and the actual copies of outstanding receipts as I received them. The claim went on for weeks and there was no correspondence from them, then finally I was told that I had to provide more details and evidence of my trip. This should have all been requested on the initial claim. So the claim gets stalled again. When you submit anything the company does not contact you to let you know that anything has been received so when you wait and you do not hear anything and eventually follow up with emails you get told that it will be 10 days before anyone can get back to you. Eventually they paid the initial part of my claim but the remaining $1,104 was still outstanding. Again I submitted credit card receipts and a further receipt from the Hospital, as I received them, on 3/10/2015. I heard nothing from QBE so sent an email on 20/10/2015 and again on 23/10/2015 and received no response. Finally I called them 29/10/15 to be told that the payment went in to my bank account yesterday and again no one contacted me. So a warning to travellers, if you pay your travel medical expenses on your ANZ Platinum Credit Card, be prepared to carry the expense for several months and don't expect to be contacted and informed by QBE on any of your queries regarding your claim. What it has cost me to carry this expense on my credit card for several months, it would have been cheaper to get separate travel insurance elsewhere.

QBE Travel insurance

I've had the Platinum card for many years now and haven't had any problems with it. I recently tried an overseas trip just using the free QBE Travel insurance offered if you spend a minimum of $250 towards the costs of your trip (flights etc...) instead of purchasing regular travel insurance (we usually buy either RACV or Covermore).

Of course the one time we didn't purchase travel insurance was the one time something happened. I developed an infected finger which involved multiple trips to the doctor for injections and tablets and even day surgery to drain out the infection which was very costly. I called QBE while overseas who informed me they would cover everything as long as I kept all receipts and got a medical certificate explaining everything.

When I returned I used the online claim system and entered all the information in however after I submitted it I didn't receive any confirmation. I called and was told to wait a few days. After a few days I called again and for whatever reason it did not work and I lost all of the information that was entered and had to complete a paper version and scan and email in which was highly annoying. It takes 10 working days for them to process so the clock was reset from the time I reapplied. After 10 days I received an email asking for another document which meant another 10 days processing time. Finally after another 10 days I was contacted and informed I would be paid minus the $250 excess fee.

Apart from the delays and the error with the online system it wasn't too difficult to get paid. Although it can be difficult getting through to them on the phone.
Free (as long as you spend min $250 towards the cost of your trip)
Online system error and time taken to review

We also had a claim which took awhile to be paid and it was suggested my husbands" Stroke" was pre existing . After a lot of back and forward to our doctor and ANZ doctors it was paid minus about $250. This was a trip we had booked to Europe including a cruise and many other side trips and paid for in full .My husband had a stroke before we were to leave on our trip. This was the second time we had to claim as after booking a very similar trip with my sister and husband a few years before we found my sister had breast cancer and we all cancelled. Again it took awhile but we were all paid out in full. We understand the questions and time to work though this as many would take advantage . ANZ travel has paid every thing we could have expected. Now my husband and I have a holiday to Bali booked for May (paid by ANZ visa) Now we have to find if he will be covered by ANY travel insurance as he has a pre existing condition - STROKE , to travel with out cover is scary. If any one knows what or who is the best to discuss this with it would be appreciated Jan and Will

Good

Expensive for a platinum card (St George only $89 and 13.25%) however, Qantas points are included. Insurance cover is second to none and is better than some coverage offered by insuarance companies. Bonus partners are somewhat limited but still handy. Qantas points are capped at $1=1 point up to $2500 per month, $2 = 1 point $2501 - $10000 per month. 0 points above $10 000 per month. Pity that the excellent car rental protection is extra - it should be included like the Gold Card. Hope youre listening ANZ. ANZ customer serivce is exceptional. Refreshing to speak to a local person who knows what they are doing. Priority service is also a godsend. ANZ Monitor suspect transaction. I was booking travel with Expedia.com and as I was transacting, ANZ called me to verify the transaction. Impressive stuff. Platinum concierge, Restaurants and travel of questionable value. Most savvy travellers can look after themselves. THe "deals"dont seem that special either. EG; Airfrance to Paris in business is quoted at the same rate as a booking with Expedia.com. If you dont want the points - get the basic Gold card. Its the best in the market.
Travel insurance included, Optional car rental insurance, Frequent flyer points, Prestige image of Platinum card, Visa global acceptance, CHIP technology essential for use in Europe and UK, Extended warranty cover, automatic points transfer to Qantas
High APR (19%), High annual fee ($200) Exrtra for car rental cover ($24pa) Points capped same as Gold card, useless concierge serivce (use google and get a better deal),

Not covered for cancelled trip

Booked an adventure trip overseas - 14 days. The purpose of the holiday.
Booked another two weeks around the adventure trip - flights, hotels etc

The adventure trip was cancelled so no point in all the surounding bookings. Flights to and from etc. Had to cancel everything. Got lots of refunds but a number of things are " no refund on cancellation".

ANZ Platinum Visa Insurance advised they will not cover this situation unless the adventure trip was cancelled due to mechanical failure of a vessel, bankrupcy etc.
Cheap and reads well
Clearly the fine print is not clear

We were lucky to have originally taken out a basic ANZ frequent flyer card several years ago when the annual fee was fairly low, and then get offered a free upgrade to the Platinum card by ANZ, so our annual fee is still much lower than that for new customers, making this quite worth-while for us to continue using the card. Having the travel insurance included in the program is great, as we often travel overseas and it's nice to not have that extra expense.
The fact that I can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points by simply paying for everything with my credit card. Great travel insurance is included as part of the rewards program, plus several other little extras.
Nothing really!

Good

I opened this card to make business purchases & make the card work in my favour for points. So far after 18 months I am quite impressed with the points structure & the extras that are offered. Compared to other cards this one seems quite practicle and value for money.

I have always found ANZ uncomplicated, as in there are many branches, the internet banking site is easy to navigate and their statements can be sent weekly if required and are well laid out.
Fees reasonable if card used and paid off regularly
Great bonus structures
Longer warranties on some products purchased on card
The fees (but that would apply anywhere!)