BankWest Zero MasterCard

See the Best No Annual Fee Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

BankWest Zero MasterCard
CategoryNo Annual Fee Credit Cards, Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards and Balance Transfer Credit Cards
Contact Number 13 17 19
Minimum Credit Limit $1,000
Maximum Credit Limit $25,000
Minimum Income $20,000
Additional Cardholders 3
Additional Cardholder Fee $0 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2%
Annual Fee$0 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 2.95%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$4
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.99% p.a.
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 9 months
Balance Transfer Rate 2.99% p.a.
Release dateAug 2006

Great for overseas travel and purchases

We have had this card for about three years, mainly for travelling overseas and making foreign online purchases due to the obvious benefits of a good exchange rate and no foreign transaction fees. We actually terminated another bank's credit card that attracted an annual fee which we had been happy to pay for one reason: An overseas travel insurance that was included! Since the Bankwest Zero Platinum Mastercard includes this for free, with no annual fee, it was a no brainer for us to downgrade to a free Debit card with the other bank in order to save on the fee. As for cash advances, we don't use that as it can be a fee trap nevertheless, as per Bankwest's own explanation: "Cash advance interest will accrue daily from the day the money is withdrawn. In addition to the cash advance interest charges [21.99% p.a.], you will also need to pay a cash advance fee for this transaction of 2% of transaction amount or $4 (whichever is greater)."

Card Start DateAugust 2016
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Bank West credit card

I applied for this card 2 to 3 weeks ago, they finally contacted me a week ago. I was applying for a card because I was going overseas and was looking for a card with no overseas transaction fees. I still work 3 days a week and with investments my income is around $100,000. I have no mortgages no debts and around $1,000,000 in assets, and believe me I got rejected. They offered me another card with a credit of $3000 with overseas transaction fees. I would have thought I would have got this card with no problems. I already have 2 ANZ Visa cards, and they said if I cancel one of those cards they may consider granting me the card. I refused to do that and asked to cancel my application. Their answer for me being rejected was “they are very selective”. I now have applied to 28/degrees mastercard and have been approved. Well done 28 degrees, bad luck to bank west.

Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

terrible bank. terrible card.

This is the worst bank ever. i applied for a higher tiered card then this one. Was instead deceptively given this card instead and not told that it was not the higher one that I applied for. As part of their rigorous application process had to twice go into one of their bank branches and email 6 months of statements. All for wasted effort. Their customer service is terrible too. Takes 20-30m each time you cal them.

Rewards
Card Start DateJune 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Good card, terrible service from this bank

This card has a great rate but they are quick to charge fees and also the phone bank staff are rude, unhelpful and difficult to deal with. Not a nice bank if you come into any financial difficulty

Card Start DateNovember 2001
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Excellent ... No overheads

I have been using since two yeas. no problem even once late fees reversed as it was a genuine mistake. i gave four star because when i loaded money on credit card over the limit and withdraw money less then what is excess amount, still they charged fees where it never happend with other credit card. Still i like to continue with a low limit for safe overseas travel.

Card Start DateMarch 2017
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Was really looking forward to this card

Was looking forward to this card . Unfortunately a few Days after setting up a direct debit with another bank for this card I had an unauthorised transaction on the account with Bankwest in the notation.
Thankfully my bank called me and had it reversed.
After contacting Bankwest they did not think they had a problem and it was my other banks issue , not much help .
I had no choice but to cancel my 1 week old Credit card as in my opinion Bankwest has either made a huge mistake or someone who saw the Direct Debit form I sent has used it or passed it onto a third party for fraudulent use .
Very disappointed that Bankwest won’t own it !

Card Start DateJune 2019
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Cancelled my card and will be closing my account also

Bankwest have no idea of what customer service is. There fees are excessive and it is difficult to access help or customer assistance. I will be taking my banking elsewhere. These guys are just a big Bank in Sheep clothing. Shop around there are many better products out there.

Rewards
Card Start DateJanuary 2016
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

A great credit card without annual fees

I have this card for almost a tear now and it is great if you pay the closing balance per month. I find their support a great to deal with.

Card Start DateDecember 2018

This is perfect, easy to use, no fuss

Easy to use. Alert immediately if there are any unauthorised transactions. Although the card has not been used overseas, I could not see there being any major issue. Long expiry date so you don't have to worry about replacing the card - at time of renewal, a new card is automatically sent to the customer.

Card Start DateAugust 2008
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

Very good card

I have had this one for a few years now and the interest rate and fees are much better that the four big banks. Staff have always been great to deal with. Happy to recommend this one.

Card Start DateMarch 2016
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Works for me

I have had no problems . It does what it should and I only use it for domestic expenditure and settle it in full at the end of each month so no issues.

Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Regional bank with regional mentality

Excellent for overseas use love the the zero foreign transaction fees and the app. With no branch anywhere near me it is a pain to deal with on the phone as I’d checks have to be done with Aust post and we know how bad they are

No service. No answers.

Applied for a card on-line and was rejected 60 seconds later. Semi retired owned our house 3 sources of income no loans or outstanding debts. All financial details given. Told didn’t meet lending criteria. Rang to ask why - told this was private info under information privacy laws and would not be disclosed to me!! Went to 28 degrees and was immediately accepted. Poor form BankWest.

Terrible customer service, conflicting information and lengthy process

Took 20 days to get a decision. During this 20 days I had to provide 3 months bank statements have my ID verified at branch. First they told me approved when I chased them for update, then I received a call telling me it wasn’t approved. I was told they couldn’t update me on 2 occasions because it was being handled by the ‘back office’ Got approved with virgin in the end, much easier process and took 1 week. Your loss Bankworst!

Vonski

HORRENDOUS service!!!! Been trying for MONTHS to get a matter resolved. Keep getting charged late fees even though payments are set up auto and always on time. Cannot get this fixed. This month over $100 of additional fees!!!!! are they kidding me? this is THEIR issue, NOT me not paying my bills. I advise everyone to avoid this bank like the plague! Have to give one star as there is no minus score. Otherwise its a minus 10 from me!

Minimum service, no customer protection, ING & Amex are way better

If you just use it as a basic functioning card, and fingers crossed things never go wrong, it will probably be ok. Their app is very backwards and payment is still processed in the most old fashioned way. Does not support Apple Pay. Nothing compared to the American Express app on my phone.
Applied for the card for a trip to Europe wishing to take advantage of paying no overseas transaction fee. Used this for a trip in Italy and got scammed off by a dodgy travel company - paid but didn't receive any service. The transaction dispute with BankWest took ages and eventually, got a cold letter in the mail saying basically it was my problem not theirs. Called the customer service line ask for a detailed explanation, however, just got a cold 'it's your fault'. I did not apply for your credit card for you to tell me everything was my fault. I used Amex for similar scenario, the dispute team was super understanding and got my money back. I was disappointed after this rude conversation and asked to close this credit card, surprisingly the customer service member sounded delighted - He was more than happy to get rid of a customer than helping. Took him 2 minutes to close my card and tell me to leave. Shocked by the attitude and service and don't think I would use any of their product again.

I used ING direct when i was overseas, i have withdrawn money from the ATM with no ATM fee, no foreign transaction fees. No drama, service team are fantastic.

I agree with the other retiree.

Zero debt,.good credit rating, money in bank, plenty of assets.They kept promising the card would arrive before leaving for OS. Last day still no card and after many calls not even the courtesy of a call to say no deal. Result no card, no service. It,s not "My Bank" and never will be.

Uptight Credit Limit but Can't Complain When There's No Annual Fees

Originally I was aiming for the Zero Platinum Mastercard which has a minimum credit limit of $6000. However when I applied through their online application form, it only granted me a maximum credit limit of $4000. I tried to get around this by contacting them when I had to verity details for conditional approval, but they could only do what the computer told them to do. So now I have the Zero Mastercard which has no annual fees but not like the Platinum which offers no foreign transaction fees and travel insurance. I think it's a bit uptight given that I'm with ANZ for a credit limit of $7000. Excellent credit score (I checked to be sure) and good income etc. I'll be cancelling my ANZ card anyways because I'll save $58 a year on annual fees and hopefully BankWest will offer credit limit increases in the future and a Platinum upgrade down the track.

RETIREES DON'T BOTHER APPLYING

I recently applied and was refused a bankwest mastercard with no reason given (sensitive information). I am a 59 yo self funded retiree of 11 yrs. Like another reviewer holding substantial liquid assets, high levels of superannuation, owning outright 4 properties and an unblemished credit rating one would think a very good credit risk. Apparently better off earning a regular wage and saddled with debt to be considered creditworthy.

Biased against retirees

Having recently retired and spending lots of time overseas, I applied for the Bankwest platinum MasterCard as a back up overseas credit card. I own my own house (worth 750k) have a couple of hundred grand in the bank, new car, perfect credit rating etc but what I don't have is an income. I only wanted a 5 or 6 k limit. Not good enough for Bankwest. Ignored all my cash and house value wouldn't give me a card because I had no income. Put up as many roadblocks as they could until I emailed them and said don't bother. Not even the decency for a response. Its as if they believe you are worthless after age 55. Funny, they are not the only bank out there, although they clearly believe they are.