Big Dog Raw Food

• Pet's Life StageAdult (20) · Puppy/Kitten (7) · Senior (1)
  • Side Effects Yes (5) · No (22)
  • Smell

Francis Hector

Francis HectorSouth East Queensland, QLD

Still waiting for [name removed] to reply to me from 18 months ago?

I complained to the owner that I was not happy with the last few boxes of Big Dog Barf I purchased, mainly because the meat ( if you can call Mush meat) stank of offal.
His reply was they’d look at the formula and get back to me with a reply and a voucher as I’d bought 3 boxes that I ended up giving away.
18 months later and I’ve not heard back from them or him.
The so called meat is so mushy and truly stank of offal.
I now feed the SPD Raw and it looks like real meat and veg or Complete which is all ethically farmed pure meat, not meat meal, no bi products etc.
So yes Big Dog Barf you’ve lost me and a few dozen people I know.
Very poor service, shocking product.

Purchased in November 2018 at Genuine Australian Stock for $87.00.

Katy

KatyAdelaide

Constipation

The dogs liked the food, but have been constipated since starting it about 2 weeks ago! I bought it years ago and returned it for that reason, believing there are too many bones, but forgot that when I bought some this time! Bones are the second ingredient listed on the Rabbit box. I won't buy any more. And like someone else said, the wrapping on each patty is flimsy once cut, with a lot of blood pouring out almost immediately.

Purchased in February 2020 at PetStock Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Hammish The Horrible

Hammish The HorribleSouth East Queensland, QLD

At last, a truly great food !

Purchased in August 2019 at PetStock Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Noooooo thank you so much !

Michelle T.

Michelle T.Wimmera, VIC

The Best Dog Food Around!!

In the past I have made my own BARF with great success for my Dobermanns, But when got a new puppy, he simply refused to eat it!! So then reluctantly I switched to canned food! Now I have another puppy and I’ve decided to try BARF once again, and much to my delight I can buy it ready made from my local PETstock, how good is that!! No more mincing, chopping and mixing, it’s all done, frozen and ready to go.. And much to my delight both my dogs love it. They have beautiful shiny fur and are in great condition. Thank you Big Dog BARF for making my life so easy!!

Purchased in January 2020 at PetStock for $22.00.

Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi Michelle - thanks so much for leaving this amazing review, it's so nice so hear you pups are enjoying their food and the benefits that come along with it. Thanks so much for your support and kind words!

The Team at Big Dog! :)

JRL

JRLWestern District, VIC

Brilliant!

We have been making our own raw food for the past 2 years. It was just a stroke of luck that we noticed this food at our local pet shop. Absolutely love it. We don't have to go to 4 different shops to locate all ingredients any more and the prep time is now zero. The condition of both dogs has improved also so this stuff is obviously better quality than what we were feeding. Happy pups and happy us. Cheers big dog!

Purchased in December 2019 for $25.00.

Princess

PrincessNorth Queensland, QLD

Truly Wonderful Dog Food

I have been making our own raw dog food for the past 6 years, and have just recently switched to Big Dog Food. Im so glad that I did. Not only is it much more convenient, but the unexpected positive results Im getting with my dogs has been a huge plus. We have a Catahoula x Bull Arab and a Lhasa x Shiz. My big girl shed a lot of hair. I could vac every day and it still would be everywhere. Now - hardly a thing. Shes got less itches, coat is shiny and hardly anything falls out. Both the dogs condition is perfect. Both dogs love their dinners. Thanks again for a great product. We tell everybody about it and now have a few converts!

Purchased in November 2019 at Pet Stock for $25.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi there! Thanks so much for posting this awesome feedback - we're so happy your two pups have got to reap the benefits of our raw diets and that they are loving their food! We're so thankful to have your support.
Kindly,
The Team at Big Dog xx :)

John boy

John boyIllawarra, NSW

So easy

Heaps good ingredients so much easier than trying to source it yourself.
Give my dog raw meaty bones as well as the barf patties .
Well done for bringing out dog food thats not garbage

Purchased in November 2019 for $24.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi John! Thanks so much for leaving us this awesome review. It's so great to hear that you and your dog are loving our products! Thanks for being apart of our Big Dog Family.

AngieHunter Region, NSW

Excellent product

I wanted to feed my caviliar pup raw food but didn't know where to start. I discovered big dog for small dogs and he loves it, I also give big dog big bites and some meaty bones. This product is affordable, healthy and safe and easy to prepare.

Purchased for $14.99.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi Angie! Thanks so much for leaving us this feedback. It's great to know your little guy loves his food, we appreciate it!

Kindly,
The team at Big Dog xx :)

Morri

MorriGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

General inquiry...

Hi big dog team. Just wanted to know if you need to use the probiotic powder with your food for the essential vitamins a dog needs or is this used for dogs that have sensitive stomachs and skin conditions only?

Holistic Gay L.

Holistic Gay L.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

It saved & healed my dog from colitis!

My dog been suffering from colitis and I did everything to help her. I read online the raw diet is best to heal colitis. I tried big dog and I chose it but over "proudi" raw food because big dog has vegetable with the meat for fibre. From the very first day, my dog's poop was little, firm and healthy.
And big dog meat is human grade which is a great bonus.

Purchased in November 2019 at My Pet Warehouse Physical store for $23.99.

Alyssa K

Alyssa KSydney Surrounds, NSW

High quality, healthy and tasty!

Purchased in July 2019 for $20.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageSenior

Great food!

I have a very fussy beagle. He doesn't like kibble, rice, kangaroo, veggies... I purchased this after he suddenly decided he didn't like his other raw food anymore. We alternate between turkey and sensitive skin (fish) and he eats it so quickly, and goes back to his bowl multiple times to make sure he hasn't missed anything.
I'm also very happy looking at the ingredient list and its much cheaper than the other raw food we were purchasing. I'm very fussy with what we feed him (Ziwipeak for brekky, all his treats are natural and unprocessed), but am happy for him to eat this.

Purchased in September 2019 at PetStock.

MickeyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Perfect!

My Toy Poodle started on the Small Breed Combo and I haven’t looked back.
I had her on raw meat and she refused to eat dry food so the transition was easy. I found it hard and a lot of fussing to get all the vitamins she needed with plain raw meat but this barf combo has it all. Best of all, it’s so simple and she woofs it down. She is now 10 months old and has been on BD Barf for 2 months now.

Purchased in August 2019 at pet stock for $24.99.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Mickey

Hi there BD, I forgot to mention, as I left the store with my purchase, your nice rep gave me some advice on transition. Great customer service too. Cheers

Fortune_Giselle

Fortune_GiselleBrisbane

Highly Recommend the Kanga for Cats

Purchased at My Pet Warehouse Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Emily

EmilyDarling Downs, QLD

Dog loved it but..

My German Shepard pup absolutely loves it however it gives him the worst diarrhoea which is a shame because it’s so affordable and such good quality, might go back to it when he’s older

Purchased in July 2019 at Pet stock.

Finn

FinnHobart, TAS

Finn just loves Big Dog ..

Finn is a Kelpie/Border Collie X. .Runs 10 /15 ks on the beach everyday .Swims all year round .Never runs out of energy .Just loves his Big Dog for dinner .I buy the combo pack to mix it up a bit

Purchased in June 2019 at Animal Tuckerbox for $25.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Thanks so much for this awesome feedback! We’re thrilled that Finn is loving and thriving on our food.

Chloe

ChloeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

KAOS LOVES IT! For a fussy dog he destroys it in a heart beat !

I have a German shepherd called KAOS! He’s a very fussy eater and I’ve tried so many different things even RAW but he just didn’t like it until I got told about Bigdog. WOW what can I say he absolutely loves it! He’s now excited about breakfast & dinner because of the BIGDOG LAMB! Absolute_kaos1 Instagram !!

Purchased in January 2019 at PetStock for $28.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten
Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Thanks so much Chloe for the review and the support! We love Kaos over here! It's awesome to see that dogs are getting excited for their food again and we're happy Kaos loves his dinners.

The Big Dog Team xx

TMG

TMGGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Big Dog Food for my furkids.

Best food I have ever fed my two dogs.
Rahni, my rescued Stafford (now sadly deceased) loved hers, as does my new rescued Stafford 'Nala'.
I will not buy any other brand of food for my furry kids.

Purchased in April 2019 at PetStock Physical store for $24.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Scott RSydney, NSW

Best thing for dog health EVER

Purchased in April 2016 at PetStock for $23.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Scott R

Certainly. I’ve sent a collage and my favourite pic. He’s the absolute picture of health...and his coat is so lustrous and shiny, I get compliments ALL THE TIME (literally, I mean every time we’re on a walk) about how gorgeous he is.

MelissaNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Get it at Pet Barn

Yes my dog liked the food, BUT......some of the flavours gave him the runs, so I did not persue this raw food brand again because I was so OVER all his loss stools which was occurring about 2 to 3 days weekly and the vet couldn't find anything wrong so I put it down to the food, plus I didn't like the smell of the food itself.

Purchased in October 2018 for $25.99.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Hi Team
Thank you for your reply, its apprecited, I will email you right now to the email address you have provided me in this reply.

gloria_birdsallasked

Would a change from dry grain free dry food be okay for our senior labrador/staffy?
She has been doing well on Ivory Coat Ocean Fish for many years but recently has to be coaxed to eat (she is 13-1/2 yrs). Had skin problems when younger but grain free seemed to fix that.

Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi Gloria, thanks for getting in touch with us. Our food would be great for your senior pup! I would recommend our Wellbeing range as it's a great low-fat option for senior dogs and it packed with superfoods to help in maintaining healthy joints. If this is her first time trying raw food we definitely recommending transitioning over a 10-12 day period, slowly increasing her Big Dog portion in the following ratios:
Day 1-3: 20% New 80% Old
Day 4-6: 40% New 60% Old
Day 7-9: 60% New 40% Old
Day 10-12: 80% New 20% Old
Day 12+: 100% New Diet.
All our recipes are great for skin health as they contain no cheap fillers or any synthetic vitamins or minerals. She would need to be fed around 2% of her bodyweight in food.
I hope this information helps and don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you had any other questions! You can reach us here: info@bigdogpetfoods.com

Dayna from Big Dog :)

Thank you Dayna!

gloria_birdsallasked

Would a change from dry grain-free dry food to Big Dog Raw Food be okay for our senior labrador/staffy?

Hi Gloria, it's impossible to give a definite answer cos all dogs digestion differ so much. BUT, if it was me.... I'd mix 1/3 Big Dog to 2/3 the dried food and increase Big Dog over the following couple of weeks. There are some reports that dogs digestion can't cope with a mix of raw and dried food and this worried me when I was transitioning Reggie onto Big Dog, but decided to believe those that said it wasn't a problem at all and luckily for us, that proved to be the case. Reggie can't get the food down quick enough as he loves it so much. Even though he is young and your lady is of a mature age, I'd imagine that the softer raw food will be much easier to consume. As our vet suggested to us, start your lady on the kangaroo, one source protein and easy on the digestion. I have never written a review on dog food before but am so happy to have finally found a product that has been so marvelous for Reggie, that I wanted to share our success story with everyone! The ingredients are so healthy and aligned so well for dogs tummys. So go slowly and I hope that all will be well...another thought, I wonder if her teeth and mouth are causing her issues, that may explain her reluctance to eat kibble...kindest regards

gloria_birdsall

Hi HTH, thank you for your very helpful answer! Good thought re mouth issues - all OK at recent vet visit (and she loves crunching carrot), but we will definitely keep checking. I really think she could be playing the "elderly lady" card as she enjoys the food once she gets started, but only if we add sardines or other tasty morsels. That's fine, but the Big Dog food certainly looks more appetising. Will try the go slow approach as you suggest. Thanks again.... kindest regards, Gloria

Karla M.

Karla M.asked

We have changed our border collie pup to the raw portions. The puppy servings seem quite small? How do we know if its enough or should we be mixing with dry food? Also how do we transition properly to avoid issues with stool, just half half with the current food? Does anyone ever completely change their food successfully with no stool issues?

Hi Karla,
Thanks for getting in touch with us. For puppies we recommend feeding them 4% of their body weight in our food to accommodate their growing bodies. This amount is enough for a growing puppy, though it looks smaller than other serving sizes, we don't add synthetic fillers to bulk out our food. Our ingredients are highly nutritious and full of the essential proteins and fats (to keep your pup fuller for longer) as well as natural vitamins and minerals.
A slow transition is always recommended, usually over a period of two weeks. Starting with what they usually eat, slightly decrease that portion and add our Big Dog patties in, increasing our portion sizes daily. We have a general guide which is as follows:
Day 1-3: 20% New 80% Old
Day 4-6: 40% New 60% Old
Day 7-9: 60% New 40% Old
Day 10-12: 80% New 20% Old
Day 12+: 100% New Diet
Most pets will have no issues when it comes to transitioning however if there is an issue, such as a change in stools, be sure to slow the transition period down further and it should resolve itself.
Hope this helps! Feel free to get in touch with a member of our team at info@bigdogpetfoods.com if you had any further questions.

Angie

Hi, I did half kibble half big dog from 10.5weeks to 20 weeks, each week reducing the kibble and adding more raw bones, big dog big bites and other fresh raw meats, fruit and veg. I have a Caviliar and at 5 months cut out kibble totally. If anything my pups stools got better, smaller, firm an less frequent the less kibble I gave and I think I could have made the transition much sooner. I am just a pet owner not a breeder or anyone with training. Good luck I have found Big Dog to be excellent and my puppy loves it, I used a online raw feeding calculator to work out how much to feed each day.

Big Dog Pet FoodsBig Dog Raw Food

Hi Angie - thanks so much for providing feedback, it's so awesome to hear you and your little Cav are enjoying the benefits of Big Dog. Thanks again for sharing! xx

Get an answer from our members and Big Dog Raw Food representatives