20Big Dog Raw Dog Food

Pet's Life StagePuppy/Kitten, Adult and Senior
Side Effects Yes · No
4.3
Smell
Plenty of ranges and flavours
Human-grade meat used
Contains healthy ingredients for dogs
Made some dogs sick

Phae D.
Phae D.Mid North Coast, NSW4 posts

Best Raw Pet Food

Great starter food for very young puppies (4wks), great for growing puppies on & a great staple food for adult dogs. Either as a whole diet, part of a mixed diet or as a topper. Huge range available, but I mainly use the Combo & Senstive formulas. Show details ·  1
AnM
AnM19 posts

My dogs love this

I've been giving this to my 2 dogs for about 10 days now, they love it, both of them clean the plate and come back a few times to check they haven't missed any the first and second time. I will be buying again and likely feeding this as their main diet going forward. My only concern is a review with someone finding plastic! I hope that's a one off, paying top dollar for healthy food I expect 100% healthy... no surprises! See how it goes. So far no problems, great product. Show details ·  1
Smell
Benjamin
Benjamin Perth, WA2 posts

Brilliant

Our GSP is hard working morning to night and loves this addition to his food combination. Show details ·  1
Smell
Charles_Galea
Charles_GaleaSydney, NSW41 posts
  Sensitive Skin

Another hoo haa from our petfood industry

Today i was convinced by a pet store to buy some big dog raw food for my fussy dog.
I put some in a bowl placed it in front of him and immediately sniffed it and turned away . Now they tell you not to cook this stuff because it has small bones and they could splinter if cooked. BIG DOG ,equals big joke Show details
Cindy Z
Cindy Z4 posts
  Goat Low Allergy

Quality product

Took a few tries for our greyhound to develop a taste for this formula - we home cook but know he needs raw to fill nutritional gaps. He now loves the goat recipe and we give him a duck neck or wings to clean his teeth as well. Thank you BigDog - please don’t change this recipe!!! It is working well for our 9 year old boy. Show details
Gab B.
Gab B.Hunter Region, NSW
  Lamb

A little below your usual standard

Firstly, I feed my 3 dogs Big Dog Raw dog food of multiple varieties they love it and I enjoy the ease in which I can feed a raw diet to them for the health benefits and with my anxious dog his mental health is better on raw rather than kibble. The food is fantastic and looks great too. Except recently I purchased the lamb, it was gooey like a paste instead of a better consistency. Was disappointed. Show details
Smell
Big Dog Pet Foods
Beverley GrantSouth East Queensland, QLD5 posts

Kangaroo

Are you aware that kangaroos are wild shot at night then are driven ihanging from hooks on the open back of a utility till morning. Joeys in pouch are bludgeoned to death or just left for the predators.
There. Is no Vet check, and they carry a load of worms.(symbiotic for their gut health)
They have been proven to contain many bacteria like Salmonella, EColi, Toxoplasmosis and many more.
Kangaroo meat, raw or otherwise has been to cause the deaths of many precious doggies. Are prepared to take that risk? I am not and will not purchase from this company that promote the slaughter of native wildlife, the kangaroo.
Maddison C.
Maddison C.Sydney, NSW2 posts
jibs
jibsSouth West, WA42 posts

Brilliant food.Easy to prepare

Great product my little Westie loved it.She had it mixed with Vets All Natural Complete Mix. Would dance and pirouette with joy and anticipation of her food.
Will be introducing Big Dog to my new 10 month adopted dog . The kangaroo when he is older. Show details
Andy
AndyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts

Love it!

I’ve recently started my adult bulldog on a raw diet but I found she was eating grass a lot so I figured I wasn’t keeping up with her veggie needs. Just one day after starting Big Dog her grass eating stopped! She absolutely loves the taste and although I see people complain about consistency, personally I really like it because it slows my extremely fast eater down so she doesn’t get as bloated eating! An excellent product for us. Thank you!! Show details ·  1
natadieu.c
natadieu.c2 posts
  Beef

Perfect for dogs with sensitivities and allergies

Our dachshund has a sensitive stomach and cannot process fresh homemade food well but Big Dog raw food has provided a happy balance! We mix it with Ziwi air dried beef / lamb kibble to keep his teeth healthy as soft foods can make dogs prone to further dental decay (regular brushing and healthy chews will help with this ). Our dog enjoys the food and his stools have been IMMACULATE. Super happy with the price point too. Great value, especially if you have a smaller dog. Show details
Smell
Chloe
Chloe2 posts
  Goat Low Allergy

Fantastic diet

Such a great food, high quality and dogs love it. Show details ·  1
Smell
Barbara
BarbaraSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

Inedible

After many weeks trying to contact Big Dog about their poor goat product they told me to swap for kangaroo, at additional cost to myself. My dog refused to eat the kangaroo. Poor product, poor client service. It’s slop a dog can’t bite into. Show details
Tash
Tash16 posts
Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Tash, we are incredible sorry this happened to you. We have DM'd you to see if there is anything we can do to help.

arff arff
arff arffnsw35 posts

Plastic In Food

I found plastic in there food and they dont care after i contacted them. This was a large piece so it was noticeable but how often does it occur where the plastic pieces are to small to notice. Show details
Big Dog Pet Foods   DM

Hi Candy, we are incredible sorry this happened to you. We have DM'd you to see if there is anything we can do to help.

lara m.
lara m. · Raw Dog Food

Dog is on beef no dramas have tried switching over to kanga and she smells it and walks off

I’m doing 90% old and 10% kanga and still won’t eat it. Any suggestions?

Wanda
Wanda · Raw Dog Food

Hi, have there been any recent reports of dogs being sick on the Big Dog Barf? My dog has been sick for about a week, the vet couldn't find anything physically wrong, and I can't think what else might be causing it. He gets the Combo morning & night. For about a week he has been showing signs of nausea, eating grass & throwing up.

Beverley Grant

Combo contains Raw kangaroo meat and any product containing kangaroo has been well known to cause health problems even death in all ages of dogs.

Tess M
Tess M · Wellbeing Raw Dog Food

My 4.5 year old border collie has been having the combo raw diet for 2 months now and we have been advised she is needing to loose some weight so I wanted to swap her over to the wellbeing diet, but wondering is it recommended to still feed them dry food with this or just the raw food ? and also the recommended portions do we lower it or use what is suggested she is currently 30kg.

See all Big Dog Raw Dog Food questions

Big Dog Raw Food Ranges

Big Dog Raw Food sells three ranges of raw food, in frozen chunks that are designed to be easily dished out to your pup.

Core Range

• This contains red and white raw meat, as well as natural vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
  • Comes in 6 flavours: Combo (containing chicken, pork and salmon), Combo for Small Dogs, Tasmanian Salmon, Lamb, Beef and Chicken.

Low allergy single protein range

• This range caters to single-protein diets, which are usually suited if your pet has an allergy to a certain type of meat. It only contains the meat, bone and offal of one type of animal.
  • The 3 options in this range are: Goat, Turkey and Kangaroo.

Scientific Range

• This is specially designed to accommodate dogs who experience skin conditions or allergies, or need a diet that helps with weight loss, and/or aids good health for the joints, liver and kidneys.
  • There are 2 products in this range, and they’re designed for Wellbeing, and Sensitive Skin.

Points of praise

• The pre-packaged servings were convenient and easy to prepare
  • Helped relieve the symptoms of skin conditions, for several dogs, and also produced more than one shiny coat
  • Several pups savoured the enjoyable taste of this dog food

Points to consider

A raw food diet doesn’t suit all dogs, as there is a higher bacteria count than in cooked food or other types of dog food.

You’ll need to gradually transition your dog to raw food if they’re new to eating this way. However, it’s good to be aware that some reviewers reported that their dogs vomited or developed constipated bowels after eating this raw food, while other dogs just refused to eat their food.

As a point of note, puppies should never eat raw dog food (preferably sticking to special puppy kibble), as their immune systems haven’t developed enough to fight off the bacteria often present in raw food.

Compare all Big Dog Raw Dog Food listings