Billion BiPAC 7800N

Billion BiPAC 7800N

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

pepe

pepeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Best router of the generation N

Number of Connected Devices 16 devices
Reliability

Rob P.

Rob P.Melbourne

Did it's job.

Switched out from the ISP provided modem and this worked well for the years it served until upgrade to NBN. Would try other Billion modems as this did a good job. The range was great and just stopped short in back of the backyard. Did not get to test Voip capabilities.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Shikyo

ShikyoMulgrave

Greatest workhorse of a router

This router has served me well for years. If it wasn't for the need for inbuilt VOIP capabilities, I'd still be using it right now. Highly customisable and the wifi reach is great. I can usually be in my driveway 10 meters away and I'd still have at least 1 bar of signal

Date PurchasedJan 2010

Very disappointed - Do NOT buy if if you use it for business

I am a network engineer and just fount out that most of its products do not even have a basic feature - stateful firewall to restrict the WAN IPs. Called the Au support, the guys did not even know what I was talking about. Rang Taiwan support, terminates the calls after playing a short music. "Thank you and Good Bye!"

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Berocca

BeroccaBunbury

Perfect for those a long way from exchange or on bad copper lines

This modem is the best I've ever used. The Broadcom chipset in the modem provides faster and more stable sync speeds than any other modem I've used. The SNR tweak is not totally strait forward for the non tech minded but has increased out connection speed from 3mb to about 4.5mb while still being stable. I've had ours for several years now and haven't had any wifi issues that others have encountered, but if I did I'd happily buy another billion with Broadcom chipset.

Great till it died.

Grantus Maximus

Grantus MaximusBrisbane

Went well until the WIFI burns out

I was very happy with this router until the WIFI burnt out on it, after some research it is quite a common problem with this model. Prior to this it worked well though and was my favourite router, after having been through a few in the past that just didn't perform very well with a number of people using it. I wouldn't recommend it though a router should outlive its usefulness not burn out..
firmware features
longevity

CleobellAU

Set and forget - just the way you want it - ability to attach external antenna

I wanted a robust modem with removable antennas as I have the modem in the garage in a box and this weakens the signal strength. So chose this one after reading many reviews etc. It did not disappoint. Actually I set it up with an external antenna and now have full signal strength and have forgotten about it and have not had to visit it the garage - which is exactly what you want.
Robust i.e. does not need attention. Removable antenna to allow fit of external antenna

BipacuserDarwin, NT

Excellent for a normal home wifi

spikeu

spikeu

The service was great and the goods got to me in 48 hours

When i had Open network 824RLW, i had been great modem
But after 5 year, it was starting to slow down
i went out and got NB6plus4w to replace it
As open network had closed down
But after read on here, that Billion made open network 824RLW
So i order a Billion BiPAC 7800N to replace the NB6plus4w

The best modem i have ever own, i dont have problem like my last modem
Which was a netcomm NB6plus4w. I any one going to buy modem look at the Billion BiPAC 7800N - (802.11n
I got sick of drop outs and trying to port forwarding the modem for games. I find this modem connection much quicker. I have find my net speed to be much better

Jason1353

Jason1353AU

Impressed

bigdoginjapan

bigdoginjapanAU

A rock solid adsl 2+ modem router

Very good, but there is a known flaw with wireless hardware.

Philu
Philu

I had the same or similar problem with the WiFi - if there was a power failure, the WiFi would not work; had to power off and leave off for 12 hours and then it would come up OK.

holdgate

holdgateAU

Finally - a decent modem/router combo that just works

I've owned several routers over the years- a Dlink DSL-G604T (OK) a Linkysys WaG54g-V2 (good) and a Linkysys WAG120n(very bad). The Billion replaced the latter and has been up and installed for nearly 3 months. I have never rebooted it yet. That says it all. Strong N wireless that works (unlike the last Linksys), gigabit lan speeds, complex but intuitive interface and it doesn't get too hot like many. Want a proper solution for Home- this is it.
Just works as advertised
Its not pretty!

Outstanding Modem/Router

The Billion BiPac 7800N is an amazing router. It has the capabilities to download at high speed over wireless and through an Ethernet connection.
Even with 4 mobile phones, 3 Laptops, one XBOX 360 and a desktop computer all running simultaneously, the speeds remained constant better yet, the wireless range is absolutely amazing, managing to maintain a strong signal throughout the entire house.
Great Value for money, Great wireless coverage, Great download speeds, WPS for beginners

beebeegee

beebeegeeMelbourne, Vic

The 7800n just works. It has good performance. The web interface is not as friendly as netgear, and has some curious omissions. You can control access by mac address, but you cannot assign a logical name to them - so if you don't know what is what, you don't - written by a techie. On balance, all the basics just worked and the other reviewers have it right. It fits between basic and high end products in price, reflects basic features, but absolutely works a charm and with the best of them. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Good performance, good wireless range. easy basic setup including auto config to the ISP
advanced setup presumes you know someting about networking.

zcooler
zcooler

Yup, you need to know more than average user to consider advance.

nilbog

nilbogSydney, NSW

Love this modem. My ADSL speeds went from 3.7Mbit to 4.6Mbit over a 20 percent improvement and remarkable for 4.5km line which was probably laid in the 1950s.
Easyish to set up for a newbie but more importantly for tinkerers like me all the options hidden underneath where you can tweak to your hearts content for that extra few percent improvement. Wireless is good too. I have not had 801.11n before but compared to 801.11g it is a godsend working at the other end of the house where g would suffer regular drop-outs.
Faster ADSL speeds. Solid wireless connection even across the house.
only 2Ghz wireless

Fantastic modem

Have just replaced my dead netgear dgn2000 and wish i had bought this Billion a long time ago.Straight away i can see the difference and stream HD files from my PC through my WDTV without any lag.Very happy,easy to set up,took less than 5 minutes.
Impressive capabilities,ease of set up,can stream HD

AlanC

AlanC

Excellent router and great value

Recently had to change the modem/router I use in my small business. The 78oon is fast, seems very reliable and was a breeze to setup.
Fast, easy to setup, value for money, as future proff as it can be.

AndreP

AndrePasked

Is this unit NBN compatible??

Cleobell

I only use it for ADSL so can't be sure but read the link above to learn a bit more.

Hope that helps.

Narna

It wouldn't be fast enough for NBN speeds. Get a nice AC router for better performance but even then your not utilising NBN to the fullest. A nice network cable would be best but who wants to be tied down these days? Really as good as this modem was (for 2 years) it is very old now - I'd look for a modern alternative.

Bipacuser

I use it as a router behind the NBN modem. The EWAN port is max 100MB/s speed while the NBN is meant to be a minimum of 100 MB/s speed. Short answer - it works.

Steve R.

Steve R.asked

My Billion BiPac 7404VNPX has ceased working. I have 3 lights registering on the front - power, DSL and internet. The internet function and wireless function from the internet have ceased working. Is it in need of a firmware update or after three years has the wireless function just died completely. I had no troubles with it before and turned it on after a month away. It does not work with the Ethernet cable connected. Others suggest that this is an issue with Billion modems after a few years they just die.

Cleobell

I have not had any issues with my Billion so far nor have I needed a firmware update. Sorry I can't offer more assistance but I would not know what is wrong with yours.

Narna

It sounds like the glue issue to me. Unless you've played with the firmware needing an update wouldn't stop it. If its 3 years old grab yourself a modern replacement with AC WiFi and live for the (relative) speed. Sometimes it is better to move on. Good luck.

Get an answer from our members and Billion representatives