Breville The Custom Loaf Pro BBM800

Breville The Custom Loaf Pro BBM800

MPN: BBM800BSS

Almost perfect

Well made machine that almost gets it right.
The "modify" function involves replacing the whole program not just modifying the section that needs changing, and trust me they need changing. So you need to write down or remember ever step so you can improve it for next time. If you notice the dough is mixed early, you can't end the mixing cycle early and move on. Or visa versa you can't mix it longer if it's not quite ready. You have to note it down and reprogram the whole recipe for next time.
No steam feature leaves it dry when proofing so an occasional spray is needed.
Also could be improved by allowing a custom name to be put in like "500 gm white" or whatever so you know what each custom setting is for.
Good machine though , happy I bought it

Purchased in February 2019 for $269.00.

Noise Level
Bread Quality & Consistency

Sticking, hard to move collapsible paddle

I make bread almost every day. I have always cleaned the paddle with a toothbrush to remove all bread I could see. It eventually became very stiff. The only way I resolved this was by unscrewing the 1.5mm hex screw on the paddle end manually cleaning the bar and the hole it went into. Now it’s as good as new again

Purchased in April 2018 for $289.00.

Noise Level

Love this machine

We searched the internet to find the best bread maker and chose this machine. It’s brilliant. Measure, pour in and the machine does the rest. We run a small bnb and make small loaves for our guests. It’s easy, fun and fabulous!! There are heaps of YouTube videos to learn from on line.
Highly recommended for bread making newbies like me.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

use it every week

Need assistance to change settings but one day will get my head around this.
However it makes wonderful bread.
Just put the ingredients in the tin and walk away.
I have only had to adjust the sugar to a little less in the recipes.
I no longer buy bread and this is how bread should taste!
Made rye and carraway for our traditional Christmas Eve Dinner.
We can no longer buy this and sent my brother home with a loaf to freeze.
He commented that this was the closest to what we used to buy at the supermarket.
Looking forward to making spiced fruit bread for Easter.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Wonderful Large Loaf Machine With Collapsible Blade.

Wonderful machine with many different preset functions. The large loaf tin makes for a great size for the larger family loves or simply select a smaller loaf option. It has a nut and seed feeder for adding those different ingredients during cooking. Is a wonderful looking machine also with the stainless steel finish

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Bread heaven.

I’ve had two Panasonic bread makers in the past, both good but this time I bought the Breville because of some added features. Wow! It is wonderful. The recipe book gives loads of ideas, it only takes minutes to put the ingredients in, then a press of the start button and walk away. I’ve made five different loaves so far and all have been great.....good texture, size and taste. I use good ingredients.....haven’t tried the pre pack Laucke ones yet, but proper bread flour etc so I know exactly what is in each loaf. I started with whole meal, then maple and pecan, pistachio and cranberry, more half and half whole meal and white with added LSA, and the lemon curd one. Yum!
The service from Appliances Online was amazing too. Very fast delivery.
All round, a five star winner.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Expensive rubbish

Looks nice that's about it. The machine doesn't have the power to consistently knead a loaf without sticking all the time, and risk burning out the motor. It has to be constantly monitored and the dough freed up by hand so the program can continue. Happens with a variety of flours so not a wholemeal problem. Can't believe I'm one of the few with this problem. Old breville machine was great, shame the build quality has been overlooked in place of stylish looks.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Not only wonderful bread .... pizza, pasta and more

Four years of excessive use and it produces the best bread, pizza dough and pasta dough. Works well and only recently commenced making an occasional loud clunking noise with initial settings, but the machine continues through all of its stages without fault. When I offer to bring something to family for dinner, they always ask me to make bread.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Could have been great but is not acceptable

There are lots of good things about this bread maker but...
the bad things are deal breakers!
One worn out machine per 3 years is possible but I have had three over the last 10 years, and all have died.
I typically make 2 loaves a week, which hardly sounds like industrial use..
The latest fault is a new one - it behaves like there is a broken power connection with the display panel flashing on and off rapidly. I've not found the fault yet.
The collapsable paddles ALWAYS jam and become fixed paddles. The most recent one I anticipated this and went to extreme measures to prevent this. But alas, it was jammed within a week. I set a timer to tell me when the start of Rise-3 has begun; at that point I remove the paddle carefully to limit the damage to the final loaf.
The bearings on the bread mixing / baking bowls are a disgrace! I have bought 3 replacements from ebay and all last much better than Breville's originals. Why can't Breville use decent quality bearings? It feels like a scam to me.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

My poor bread machine

I love my bread machine,use it twice a week for the last four years, no problems. Just recently the bread has been coming out like it was punched and twisted before it was cooked. It is awful, its tough and hard and I can't even use it for breadcrumbs.So I stood and watched it and found that it was kneading again half way through the baking process,which explained the horrible bread. Any ideas, can it be fixed?

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Disappointing

I have made bread for 18-19 years now, and have had about 8 different bread makers. This machine is not turning out normal looking bread though. It is rough and thick all around, never browns on the top. The top is like a barnacled ocean rock. It never rounds the top like every other breadmaker I have had, and the bread seems insufficiently mixed - I have always used brown and white bread mix together, and with this machine, it comes out in swirls through it. The difference between the bread from my previous machine and this one are starkly different, though it is the same mix. There is no way it will make a tall, smooth, soft crusted loaf.
So to me it's a bit of a dud.
If anyone has a solution for me, please let me know.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
I have talked to Breville and am taking the breadmaker back for a replacement tomorrow.

Awesome!

This bread maker is fantastic! I regularly make wholemeal bread with it and it comes out perfectly. I haven’t bought shop bread for 2 months now. It’s so easy to use, just put everything in and leave it to make bread like magic. I do take it out at the start of rise 3 and remove the paddle and that way there’s only a very small hole on the base of the bread. I’ve tried all sizes except the smallest and you get a substantial loaf. I’ve also used it for pizza and pasta dough and both turned out great. Highly recommended. The shape of the loaf on the top can be a little unusual but that makes it feel more homemade.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Reliable and easy to use!

I was hesitant to buy a bread maker at first as I wasn't sure if it would get enough use, however it has proven me wrong! Use almost every week and great for making quick pizza and pasta dough. bake is consistant and easy to clean up after use. Great for making flavoured breads.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Breville used to the the premium bread maker Manufacturer

This is our second Breville bread maker, the first being a BBM400 on which the baking element failed after being used after being in the cupboard a year or two. We were able to mix and knead the dough but had to remove it to bake in the gas oven as when the baking cycle started the BBM400 blew the switchboard breaker.

The new BBM 800 is week old and has baked 3 good loaves using the Lauke Premixes. The paddle has been extremely difficult to remove as the bread mix residue sets rock hard, cementing the paddle socket to the pan spindle.

In the end we resorted to soaking overnight in water in while the pan stood upright.
We thoroughly cleaned the paddle an lightly coated the assembly in olive oil before making the next loaf with our own mix.

When the loaf was removed at the end of the cycle the paddle was embedded in and baked into the base of the loaf. A paddle that is either jammed on to the point where it's not easily removed, or falls off half way through the mixing process, is not fit for purpose.
This is a design fault if ever I saw one. The Breville BMM800 going back for replacement or a refund.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Excellent product

Our first one decided to play up, but only after several years and a LOT of use. Checked out all the others but this is still the best one on the market as far as we are concerned. We do find that spraying the pan with spray oil helps to stop any bits sticking to the sides and leaving the main loaf.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Collapsible paddle

I too have had problems with the collapsible paddle seizing up. My solution is to boil the paddle for 10 minutes with 1 tbsp of white vinegar and 1 tsp of bicarb and water just to cover. I use this machine at least 3 times a week and not had any other problems.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

12 months old, barely used in those 12 months, and it totally stopped working

Bought it to replace a previous Breville Breadmaker that gave us years of good use. Bought this as it looked like the old model with just a new casing, Had it for 12 months and made less than a dozen loaves and it's totally stopped working. No lights, no nothing, Dead as a doorknob. Would not buy another Breville. Tried but can't get through to Breville

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Eventually got through to Breville who told us to take it to a small appliance repair shop some 30 mins away, I called the store we purchased it from, David Barkes in Rosebud and they took it and had it replaced with a new one in about 2 days, fantastic service from them. Here's hoping this one lasts a bit longer

reliable and does the job well

We purchased this machine a few years ago now (in blind faith really) to replace a previous breville machine we had for over 10 years. It's used at least weekly for bread. retractable paddle does require some intricate cleaning at times but it does usually get through about a dozen loafs before you have to pull it completely apart for cleaning, you can use the non retractable paddle if it's a problem. it roasts coffee beans well and have used for pizza/scone dough as well. Can't comment on Jam function as we've only tried once which was fine. Haven't had any issue to comment on customer support, we did request a second tin as our previous bread maker wore the tin out after 5 or so years but we haven't had to use it yet, from memory it was shipped within about a fortnight with no issues.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

So far very happy with my breadmaker - sharing my first custom receipe

This breadmaker is a replacement for the old breadmaker (Ultimate Baker's Oven Model BB420) which I had for about 10 years, baking at least one loaf every week. What I like about the new Custom Loaf Pro BB800 is the satin finish and the lid with a handle. So much better than the old style. It also is kneading better which makes me think that due to age the old breadmaker probably was not kneading properly anymore.

Settings:
I programmed a custom setting after the first loaf because I felt the wholemeal setting did not bake the bread to our liking, i.e. it felt like it wasn't baked properly and still felt a bit doughy. After reading the manual I found the custom setting quite easy to navigate.

The Manual:
I am finding the User Manual 'not user friendly', but may be that is just me. It looks like a technical text book without pictures. I prefer the layout of the old manual (for the Ultimate Baker's Oven, Model BB420). The recipes in the old manual are easier to find and read, and I also prefer the vertical format. Considering that the old manual has some colour photos and highlighted text I could imagine that it was more expensive to print.

There is one thing I don't like:
There is no pilot light to indicate that the machine is on and the light of the display panel switches off automatically. I think appliances that are working for several hours need a pilot light that stays on during the whole cycle to alert users that the machine is still on.

The following is my custom setting for Lauke Multigrain & Linseed flour:

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup water (sometimes I need to add a little more flour (whatever I have, wholemeal or white) while the machine is kneading)
- dash of oil
- One packet flour (600g)
- one level teaspoon and a 'bit' dry yeast.

Custom setting:
- Crust colour: dark
- Loaf size: Largest (1.25kg)

- Preheat temperature: 20 deg C
- Punch down 2 time: 15 sec
- Rise 3 time: 70 min.
- Bake time: 100 min.
- Bake temp.: 140 deg C
- Keep warm time: nil (we like the crust and keeping the loaf warm makes the crust go soft)

This is quite a long cycle! The crust is quite thick and really crusty. We like it that way. When I am near the machine at 'Rise 3' I take the loaf out, remove the kneading blade and spread a little butter and flour around the pin. I may try a second custom setting with medium crust and 120min baking time at some later stage. The above setting is very similar to the 'Continental bread' setting on the old machine. Overall, I am finding the new machine easy to use. The finish of the baking pan does chip after many uses, but this does not affect the quality of the bread and it does not bother me. I suspect that the chipping may be due to the whole grains.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Three faults. I am sad, but I will return mine.

Living some 250 KM out of Melbourne, I have had three problems. 1)Back of menu light stopped working 2) The paddle, which is quite useless as it still leaves a hole in the bread sticks in position at all times, despite cleaning and soaking paddle thoroughly 3) the fruit and nut dispenser stopped working, despite loud clicking noises....As there are no service agents in Wangaratta I will return it as absolutely unreliable when cooking and the costs of sending it back is prohibitive...Has Brevile thoroughly tested these things in the field? I doubt it. The bread, It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what results you're going to get...

Date PurchasedJul 2016