Breville Multi Chef BRC600

Breville Multi Chef BRC600

MPNs: 35904479, BRC600 and BRC600BSS

Slow Cookers Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of slow cooker would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.0

• Slow Cooking
  • Steaming
  • Pressure Cooking
  • Sautéing
  • Rice Cooking

ElleAustralia

I've had better rice cookers

I did Risotto in this cooker right out of the box. It did a lovely job I thought but I had never cooked risotto before so a officianardo might disagree with me about the quality. I use it 3-5 times a week for cooking rice. I find it undercooks the rice and I'm always restarting the steam rice function again trying to end to end up with less gluggy rice. The more rice I cook the gluggier it becomes. If i cook less rice it browns the rice and dries out out on the bottom of the cooker. Because of the inconsistency with the rice, I haven't tried to use it as a slow cooker, i just don't trust it to turn out right and I have a separate slow cooker so i use that.

Purchased in July 2017 at The Good Guys for A$125.00.

unhappy customer

Stop working after about 10 uses in 18months.

Very disappointed in this product. Stopped working after about 18months and only used about 10 times (at most). All normal care given, a not so fancy rice cooker of same brand has outlasted this.. do not recommend this product.

Purchased in May 2017 at Myer for A$129.00.

Maree

MareeNorth Queensland, QLD

Only had two weeks stopped working

We purchased this product two weeks ago to replace another rice cooker, it worked up until a few days ago. Now it doesn't cook the rice, after a few minutes it just goes to the warm setting without cooking the rice, we are going to return and buy a different brand.

Purchased in August 2019 at Joyce Mayne Physical store for A$109.00.

JOOLS

JOOLSGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Love the sear function

I have used every function on this cooker, searing, roasting, steaming and cooking rice. I love the way you can sear the meat and or onions before slow cooking. The quality of the food is great - it retains the flavors and doesn't dry out. The only disadvantage is the size - you can only fit a half leg of lamb, which is fine for 2 people but probably not enough to feed a family. The controls are easy to use and easy to adjust the settings. I had had other slow cookers before and would highly recommend this one above others I have tried.

Purchased in October 2017 at The Good Guys for A$95.00.

Leslie St

Leslie StFar North Queensland, QLD

Id give it less then one star if i could

Purchased in August 2017 at The Good Guys Physical store for A$120.00.

Pressure Cooking
mitchger

mitchgerSydney, NSW

Great quality and results

Unlike the bulk of the reviews here I've found this to be great! I only use it for rice and slow cooking (and searing beforehand), but it's perfect for both. I have noticed the non-stick is degrading after four years with perfect handling and care but it's nothing major and I'll be happy to replace just the bowl in a couple more years if it lasts that long.

Purchased in November 2015 at Myer for A$162.00.

Jinxy

JinxySydney, NSW

Joke of an appliance.

Pro:
- Device appears well built.
- love the buttons and audio.
- steam tray is great.

Cons:
- Steam escapes under lid rim.
- Because of this it undercooks everything.

Solution:
If the heating bowl had a more aggressive or flatter lip, the steam would be forced through the opening in the lid (like every under $50 rice cooker)

Purchased in July 2019 at Bing Lee Physical store for A$110.00.

Pressure Cooking
Mee

MeeTasmania

Perfect Rice Cooker

Bought this product to cook better rice, i used Basmati rice and found it cooked really nice, did not stick to bottom like the cheap rice cookers. very happy and cant wait to try new recipies

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for A$109.00.

Shelli

ShelliGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Poor quality product - new and replacement broke!

The first one broke in under one year and occasionally, the rice did not cook thoroughly and you have to press it again. The second one also lasted about a year and started malfunctioning also. I didn't use it every day - maybe about once or twice a week. Really off-putting how poorly made this is and would probably stay away from all Breville products going forward now.

Purchased in November 2016 for A$140.00.

Find out how Breville Multi Chef BRC600 compares to other Slow Cookers

Three repeat failures after about 12 months each.

Have had three of this model, each failing after about 12 months where cooker turns on but will not heat. I've had two replaced under warranty but last time the message was "next time" it won't be covered. I guess from the warranty claims and comments here they must know there is a design fault (or obsolescence feature)

Purchased in November 2015.

faerydoc

faerydocGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very disappointed

Great little unit that worked really well... However, I have had it for about 2 years, only using it a handful of times (I only use it as a slow cooker). And it's just stopped working. No power appears to be getting through. Pretty upset. Would not recommend.

Purchased in September 2016 for A$89.00.

Vinnie

Vinnie

Not worth it!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Another failure

Was a Christmas gift 2017, now 13 months old. Heat plate stopped working. May have used 10 times.

Slow cooker worked well. Never cooked rice fluffy. Often under cooked the rice and burnt/stuck to the bottom

Purchased in December 2017.

Anonymous

AnonymousMelbourne

Really like the multifunctions however there seems to be a fault with this model

I really like the multiple functions on this model so I don't have to buy extra appliances. I am onto my second BRC600 and both times the same problem has occurred where the unit no longer heats up. Both are outside the warranty period so unfortunately I can't get it replaced. Disappointed that it seems to be a common fault.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Like others, it worked great then one day it just stopped working.

Like many others here, I had the multi chef for about 11 months then one day the hot plate just stopped heating up. Luckily it was under warranty so I got another one. Again it's now been about 10-11 months and it again has stopped working. This time not under warranty. Do not buy this product. I'm so mad about how terrible it is for such an expensive product.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Kat

Kat

Bad buy

Mine didn't last 16 month same problem coating came off and it started constantly turning off before the meal or rice was cooked..Not Handy if you turn is on and walk away to find out at dinner your meal is raw... 1 month later it stopped completely what a waste of money... Breville never again!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Cuts out mid meal

We use our cooker roughly twice a week, mostly on the rice function and occasionally the slow cooker. It was great, easy to clean and the 2 touch function is so handy. 2 years later, the coating is coming off the bowl (it has only ever had the spoon provided to scoop out the rice) and it stops working before the rice is cooked.
We still had the receipt so we called Breville and they were so helpful and did a good deal on a replacement purchase

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Bianca

BiancaHervey Bay

Just stopped working

Bought this multicooker 3 years ago but only used it at the most for 12 times over the 3 years.
Had a big dinner planned for visitors..put it on and NOTHING, timing couldn't be worse.
Had to go to the shop quickly to buy another slow cooker to get planned dinner organised .
Soooo DISAPPOINTED and angry for such an expensive item.

Date PurchasedJun 2015
bzerk86

bzerk86Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Jack of all trades, master of all!

We have been very happy with this purchase. It's excellent for small slow cooked meals, risotto and rice.

With this machine you really can make "no-stir" risotto. It comes out perfectly cooked.

When we use it as a rice cooker, it works better than any I have used before, there are no hard "crusty" bits at the bottom.

We unfortunately had to buy a replacement lid. We dropped it, the glass didn't break, but the knob did. $30 odd for a new lid, including postage was fair.

I would buy this Multi Chef again.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Natalie

NatalieMelbourne

Absolutely do not buy the Multi Chef. Breville- pick up your game- it’s pathetic.

I came across the reviews of this machine 6mths ago and was having a quiet snigger to myself as my machine was still working.
However my tune has changed and I am not sniggering now- as mine has gone and shat itself. First there was an electrical smell - and now nothing. Just cold water and a cup full of uncooked brown rice.
Breville Daring, you have to sort your crap out. Take the time to read all the negative comments below about this slow cooker. They are appalling.
This Breville Slow Cooker is a waste of money and it’s a blight on our precious environment- with yet another one going to landfill.

I will be looking to another brand to replace this one.

Date PurchasedApr 2014