Breville Original '74 BSG1974

Breville Original '74 BSG1974

Delzey

DelzeyMelbourne

Unbeatable Quality

This jaffle maker was expensive compared to the cheapies you can get your hands on but it is absolutely worth every cent. Mine is at least 6 years old and doesn't even have a scratch! I used to go through them frequently as my other half insisted on removing the bread with a knife. This one is still as new as the day we got it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Purchased in May 2013 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $99.00.

Rahul L.

Rahul L.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Perfect Everytime

Bought this a year back, still works great. Calibrates output to not burn the bread but evenly toasts it. Saw some reviews about sandwich slice sizes being an issue for some people but no problems here. Maybe if you using smaller cheaper bread slices. Holds a lot of filling. Beautiful styling, all metal body.

Purchased in June 2018 at David Jones for $79.00.

Adele

AdeleMelbourne

5yrs old & not a scratch!

I was shocked to read any negative comments on this product. Before finding this jaffle iron my partner destroyed one every few weeks.
This one is at least 6 years old and still going strong. Not a mark on it and my partner is rough! It is large yet smaller bread still fits with no spillage, it heats within a minute or so. Cooks perfectly, crispy brown bread every time (still). I can only assume those who wrote negative reviews got a dud machine. Absolutely the best quality appliance in my kitchen. Would give this 10 stars if I could.

Date PurchasedMar 2013
Anna

Anna

Poor product

This product is nowhere near as good as the original jaffle maker. It takes forever to toast the bread and it still comes out soggy and not crunchy. Also it's too small to fit regular sized bread slices. Wish I could get my money back. The cheese hardly melts either. Very poor product for what you pay.

Poor Product

Purchased this product last winter.It can’t toast sandwiches.no matter how Long you leave the sandwich in the toaster it comes out soggy.Does not even BROWN THE BREAD.Have now purchase a sandwich toaster from BIG W for$19..Perfect every time. Its less than a third of the cost of a Breville.would not even consider another Breville.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

paul miller

paul millerSebastopol

Wish I had not bought it !

Can't find bread big enough to go in it properly. Leaks out the sides a lot. VERY fiddly to clean with all the nooks and crannies you need to get into. Would not purchase again or give one as a present. More trouble than it is worth. I do not need pretty ridges on my waffle. And it is slow to cook. It takes ages to get a crisp crust on your jaffle. I will go and buy an old fashioned jaffle maker that you just put on the gas.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

WhingeForChange

WhingeForChangeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

70's bread must have been bigger

Did they even test this thing with Australian supermarket bread?? Cant find any bread big enough to seal the toastie, wonder what they used in testing? I really need a family 4 sandwich jaffle with deep inserts for more fillings. using a camp jaffle maker on a gas stove now works much better only one at a time.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

AnnieM

AnnieMSydney

Does exactly what it is designed to do and it looks good

We bought this a few weeks ago and are happy with our purchase - we use it a few times a week and have had none of the problems other reviewers have had. It is true that it needs bigger bread (like wonder white) but I have used smaller bread and although the edges don’t seal we have had no issues with it leaking (but we don’t overfill it). We don’t use butter (not on the outside or inside) and we still get a golden finish with no sticking. Cleaning is pretty easy, let it cool a bit and wipe. The 3 year warranty (as long as you register) is also a bonus

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Bill

BillMelbourne

Works ok, but the legs came off!

Looks great and works ok, but after 6 months the legs started getting loose and the fell off. Took it back to the good guys and it was hard to get it repaired. Would have been a good otherwise. Threw it out and replaced it with another Breville. Fingers crossed this time.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Deano

DeanoPerth

It Leaks No Matter What You Do

Ja_Moo

Ja_Moo

Great Jaffe maker + lots of recipe

Very Classy looking sandwish maker - easy to simply wipe clean after use, good size for any sort of bread, slightly burn and seal the edge properly. It comes with Breville 3 years warranty - Brilliant !!

It came with a box of recipe pocket / cards. Very interesting meal ideas. We tried to put croissant on it and it came out dense, crispy and brown, oh so nice. We have been using it every second day on breakfast for 1 months now. So much you can create with it.

chylld1

chylld1Sydney, NSW

So simple, great results, easy to clean, ACTUALLY CUTS

Amazing results out of such a simple machine, makes you wonder why other manufacturers never quite got it right. With standard supermarket bread the results look exactly like the pictures in the brochures. Plenty of interesting recipes included that we can't wait to try.

Power cord is maybe a bit short but that is a minor shortcoming in an otherwise brilliant product.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

nbc

nbcWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

The best sandwich maker out there

I've been using this just about every weekend for 3 years now. What a great buy. It cleans up easy and is made from material that is robust and resistant to damage so it shines up as good as the day it was purchased.

It has a red heating light and a green light which turns in when it reaches operating temperature. I use Tip Top Multigrain Bread with pumpkin seed which is a good fit.

The unit is strong enough to use a bit of force to close the unit without the handles breaking off which had been the problem with other brands I have used in the past.

The heating surfaces are easily cleaned with a paper towel and after three years show no sign of damage.

I highly recommend this product.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Nae

NaeCairns

Worked well for 2 years

Date PurchasedAug 2014

ClaireMelbourne, VIC

Only works with gigantic sized bread

Managed to get a good jaffle after finally finding bread that is big enough to seal all sides. We use this "gigantic" sized bread on occasion to get that authentic jaffle which is sealed. However as my family eats regular sized bread we get unsealed leaky toasties most days using this machine. Still tastes nice but filling leaks and then the clean up! I guess Breville is marketing this product to people who love huge bread that measures 12.5 x 12.5cm!

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Kay Tee

Kay TeeSydney

Doesn't fit regular bread

Got this for Christmas. Works fine. Heats up evenly. But doesn't fit any type of supermarket bread. Wonder white is as big as a slice of bread can get and the jaffle maker can't seal the edges so there is always something spilling or bubbling out of the machine.

I am a huge fan of Breville's products but this one is a big downer.

Sorry Breville. This ones going back for a refund since it can't really do what it says it's supposed to do.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

ShirecNew South Wales, 2233

My review of the Breville Original '74 - My current favorite appliance.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
BrevilleBreville

Hi Shirec - thanks for your comments. Sounds like you're putting the jaffle maker to good use. The Breville team

Love it !

This was so worth the money. The whole family think it's great. The biggest problem is how much bread and cheese we go through. Like the person before me wrote, sometimes the edges don't quite seal. We had a cheap sandwich toaster before this an every sandwich stuck to the plates, not with this one. Thanks Breville, you took me back to my childhood.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Hi Nightmayor - thanks for your comments. The Breville team

tckn

tcknMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Am I doing it wrong?

I have tried a variety of breads such as Tip Top and WonderWhite and for some reason and for some reason my jaffle is always open on one side of the edges? I get leakage of the insides each time so it kind of ruins the experience.

Is the iron super big or what?

A9XSA, 5271

Takes me Back, Way Back!

BrevilleBreville

Hi A9X - thanks for your comments. We're sure there will be a few suitable 'breville' days over the next few months for you to enjoy more toasties. Thanks, the Breville team

A9X

Hi After writing the review I ended up having some for tea that night LOL Cheers

A9X

As seen on Master Chef 2016 these are the best using mine ever day at the moment love it cheers Breville

Claireasked

What brand of bread are people using in this machine? Regular sized bread leaves all sides unsealed and the filling goes everywhere. Breville states that it works for all sizes of bread and that is simply untrue.

Shirec

Standard wonder white bread worked fine when we use it mostly. Helgas slightly thicker bread turns out even better but both seal well around the edges. Spreading fresh parmesan on the outside of the bread after buttering it also creates an even better texture!

Claire

Thank you for your response. I am on a mission today to buy bread to fit, will try the Wonder white/Helgas and see how I go.

Nightmayor

I have used all different types and size of bread. wonder white is one of the better ones, but you still get some leakage. I think it comes down to how much filling and positioning of the bread.

TheRegularGuy

TheRegularGuyasked

Are there any issues with the teflon on these like the reports on the 'Breville Original'?

Tania
Tania

I have had no issues and I have used it a lot.
Non-stick coating has not peeled off. However, I am careful and I use a silicon spatula to remove the sandwich, i.e. I never use a metal knife, because it is teflon.

A9X

Hi no issues with mine just clean it after every use with paper towel and use it daily in winter and had it around a year. It still looks new inside and out cheers Peter

MissS

MissSasked

Is there also available european model?

BrevilleBreville

Hi MissS - Breville Group products available in international markets can be viewed at this site http://www.breville.com/
The Breville team

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

CategorySandwich Makers