4.0 from 1 review

Cabot's Exterior Clear Gloss Spraypack 300g

Excellent self-levelling, slow drying oil based polyurethane in a can. brilliant gloss. very low odour. I would highly recommend this product but the buyer should be mindful of a few things.

On occasion, as I am spraying my project, small dark sugar grain sized pieces of product settle on the surface. I am not sure why that is, i did shake the can thoroughly for 5 minutes. The surface is definitely clean. After a while, these pieces settle out and become flattened but enlargened in diameter, causing small dark circles to appear as patches against an otherwise clear surface.

I found this stuff needs to be applied HEAVILY - do not spray continuously - hold off every 3-4 seconds and shake the can in between squirts.

In future i will be choosing a different application method. Maybe from a drum, thinned and applied with a foam roller. The nozzles are cheap and things like this happen.

Although if you can apply this stuff patiently and delicately, it's worth the buy.

Hi I have used the exterior clear satin on a beech timber. I have applied 3 coats and it feels rough in a few small areas. Should I use some fine steel wool to smooth them over?
Hi Jeff, We do recommend giving the coating a light sand with a fine grit sandpaper in between coats to remove any grain rise – this will help give you a nice smooth, even finish. To help fix this, give the timber a light sand and remove any sanding dust. Give the timber one last thin coat and it should look as good as new! If you would like to discuss this further, or need any advice on an up-coming project, give our Help & Advice team a call on 1800 011 006. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST Cheers, Team Cabot’sin future, it may serve you well to work the timber prior to applying any kind of product. using a water bottle, spray water liberally across the wood surface and let dry. Doing so will raise the grain and any splinters. then lightly sand over the area with 600-800grit. clean thoroughly and then apply your product . Ideally you should not be working to the fix grain raise after product is applied.

I am wondering whether I can use exterior clean to remove the newly applied exterior clear liquid on my door?
Hi Quynh, The Cabot's Deck Clean will not act as a paint remover. If the coating is less than 7 days old, I would suggest waiting to remove the coating as it hasn't fully cured yet and can be difficult to remove. After 7 days, the best method of removing is to either sand the coating back to bare timber, or you can use a product in the Intergrain range called Liquid8 Timber Stripper https://www.intergrain.com.au/product/intergrain-timber-stripper If you would like to discuss this further, or need any advice on an up-coming project, give our Help & Advice team a call on 1800 011 006. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST Cheers - Team Cabot's

Hi there, my stained timber is 3 years old. I bought your exterior clear to maintain the door. However I have the following problem and need your advice urgently. After cleaned the front door side properly I stir the liquid quite well then I used a brush to paint the door. However the surface does look smooth like before, it looks very rough with lines on it. I believe that I have damaged my front door. I would like to send you some photos so that you can advice me how to fix my problem. Thank you in advance
Hi there Quynh, From what you are describing, it sounds like the rough lines on the door may be "Grain rise" What this is - is the brush marks from the brush. To help fix this - give the door a light sand with a fine grit sand paper in between coats and make sure you're using a good quality synthetic brush when using the coating. Another good tip, is if you can, remove the door from it's hinges - as it will be much easier to coat. If you would like to discuss this further, or need any advice on an up-coming project, give our Help & Advice team a call on 1800 011 006. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm AEST Cheers - Team Cabots

CategoryPaints & Varnishes