British Paints Decking Oil

Oil Based, Water Based

Icathler

IcathlerQueensland

Sludge

I just got this product and it won't mix. Sludge at the bottom that you can barely scrape off and won't mix with the rest. Wish id reviewed before as this problem has been mentioned for 3 years.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $59.00.

DuluxBritish Paints

max

maxSydney, NSW

easy to use,make sure to mix it well

i cleaned my deck with a napisan solution before oiling,the first coat was dry in 2 days i recoated making sure not to apply too much.the 2nd coat was dry in 2-3days and i was happy with the result iwaited approx 5months and applied another coat and am still happy with the results.

Bill

BillPerth, WA

Simply Does The Job

I chose this after much research. I used "natural" colour to enhance grain of timber decking. It went on easily with a roller after cutting in edges with a brush. I wiped of excess with a cloth ten minutes after each coat. So far, it has impressed producing a lovely dull sheen and enhancing the natural grain. It's cheaper than most other decking oils, but from my experience and others, appears to be better. Happy oiling.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
    NickBritish Paints

Hi Bill, Thanks for taking the time to review our decking oil product. We appreciate the feedback and all the best with your next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Exact finish I’d hoped for!

I read the mixed reviews on this forum before committing to try this product. So glad I went with my gut feeling and bought it. The jetty now looks like the day it was built. Very happy with British Paints natural colour decking oil. Will definitely be buying this product for the next application.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Hi Craig,

Thanks for taking the time to review our Decking Oil product. We appreciate the feedback! All the best with your next project, The British Paints Team

Spike

SpikeSunshine coast

Top product!

Good product, have used several different brands over the years, this one is auick and simple.
    Brings out the maubau grain nicely.
    The paint did have sediment on the bottom (from sitting on bunnings shelf) but nothing a good quality paint stirrer couldn't fix.

By the way I used the BP gloss varnish, and it came up really good, after 5 coats.

Top products.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
    NickBritish Paints

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our product. We value your feedback and all the best for the next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Great product

Hi
    Found the BP oil base decking oil easy and quick to apply. It needed to be as I have over 160 square meters of decking at various levels. Makes decking on the place look great. Unfortunately, to maintain this I have been recoating it annually; at some point the timber will become nicely saturated and this may turn into a biannual event.Just hope BP continue to make the stuff; and leave the recipe as is.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Yellow deck, yuk

As per some of the other comments, we purchased British Paints Decking Oil, Natural finish, to go on our existing cleaned and weathered deck. Buntings consultant advised that it was a clear liquid but upon application it is a horrible yellow color, certainly not natural.
    Returning this product to Bunnings.
    Thank you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Catherine

Catherine

Unhappy with colour, so yellow

I used BP water-based oil colour Natural on pine decking. It is bright yellow. It's awful and I'm so disappointed. How can I fix it? I've done two coats and each coat just makes it more yellow. How can I fix it? Can I go over the top with a different colour?

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Stoffel1Perth

Surprisingly good and excellent value for money

Used it on our 2 year old deck, which had been oiled with a MUCH more expensive product. It went on easily, covered well, and made the deck look brand new again. Thee only downside is that it remained a bit sticky for a few days. It is a great product at a wonderful price. I will be using it exclusively from now on!

Date PurchasedOct 2016
    Stoffel1

Thanks. Very happy with the product. Keep it up.

Sludge won't budge

I recently purchased the British paints water based decking oil. It looked milky muddy colour and had sludge at the bottom. After mixing for a substantial amount of time the sludge still did not decrease. Taking back to bunning to get a refund and buy Aqua deck as I know I won't have issues with that product. Not happy as my nearest Bunnings is over an hour away!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Norman Steffen

Norman SteffenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good can't complain

We used the " Natural " now 2 years on treated pine. Every 12 month and it is doing the job in my opinion.
    I used a lot less after the first treatment. The decking is facing north on a Gold Coast Water way. I think water based is the way to go.

paul

paulmekbourne

Good value ,excellent depth of colour and coverage

Screffy Juff

Screffy JuffMelbourne

Lovely on dark timber at first - need to replace after 12 months.

Applied two coats of BP decking oil really easily to a merbau deck in Jan 2016, which brought out the merbau's lovely dark lustre. Within a couple of months it had gone quite dull, and now after 12 months the exposed boards have started to go grey and the coating has become flaky, which I will need to either acid wash or sand back and re-oil. I suspect that the UV properties in the oil haven't worked properly, which might be explained by the thick sludge I had tried to stir in. I was really hoping to get a good result from BP decking oil, but I'll re-oil with another product, which, with early testing on merbau, looks and feels more robust and protective.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Brian.

Brian.Wanganui

Excellent product.

I purchased a 4 litre can of the water based decking oil from Bunnings, they kindly offered to shake'mix it up on their machine so all I had to do was the give it a stir prior to application, it was easy to apply and after 2 coats the deck looks brilliant, the product is far better than other more expensive brands.

garthBritish Paints

best product for our decking

Excellent product at an excellent price. Have just used 12 litres, would not buy anything else for our decked verandah
    Easy to use, needed very little mixing. The oil held well on the brush and dld not splash on the walls.
    Have tried other products in the past but this has been the easiest to use with best results. Love the 6 litre can, great value

Sarah S.British Paints

wow just used this for the first time today special 6 liters for about 55 dollars at Bunnings wont use another product ever again . Fantastic oil based goes on decking like butter . I was a bit worried about using a oil based oil but I would recommend this product to anyone

Trust British Paints? - Sure can

After reading the various reviews, I went for the oil based and it was a good choice. After ensuring it was shaken/mixed properly. I had prepped the deck prior by removing old stain. It went on easily. It has brought the deck back to life and it looks a treat.

Won't Buy It Again.

I asked Bunnings to put tin on machine and mix it before I purchased. Then I stirred it thoroughly myself before using. Sludge at bottom was hard to mix through base. The coverage is poor. It looks crap on my old deck. The opacity is too pale to cover the old stains that you get on an old deck even though I power washed it first to try and get uniform look to start with. My thoughts are that you would only use this product on a brand new deck where the boards are pristine.

Sarah S.British Paints

Steward

StewardGold coast

Will never buy a BP product again

After reading the previous reviews on this website I purchased the BP water based decking oil. When buying from Bunnings I got them to shake it up on their machine. Before using I stirred the oil with a paddle mixer only to find a thick mass on the bottom of the tin. I used a mixer fitted to a drill to dissolve the thick mass. I then used the paddle mixer again.i had some success but still there was some left. Decided to return decking oil to Bunnings. They opened the other tins which had different batch numbers only to find they were all as bad. Purchased Cabots aqua deck.

BellVueQ1

BellVueQ1Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good quality for a great price

After preparing the area (mechanically removing old stain) the new stain went on well with a roller and brush. Good coverage with an even finish bought up the old deck like new. Very happy :)

Graham D.

Graham D.asked

Hi I’ve built an indoor deck there is no weather to affect the decking . I’m using jarrah finger joint decking and have only just bought it . Do I still have to wait a certain amount of time to use the water based decking oil . I tried one piece of decking , it was smooth before I applied the oil now it seems rough to touch after about 3 hrs . Will another coat tomorrow make it less rough or does it need to cure further

Eamonn

Eamonnasked

Where can I buy water based decking oil in my area

Eamonn

Eamonnasked

Where can I buy the water based oil in the Avalon NSW area

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query, Eamonn! You can search for your local store here: https://www.dulux.com.au/find-a-store, otherwise please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25, and they may be able to assist you! - The British Paints Team.

DuluxBritish Paints

Hi Eamonn, thank you for reaching out, we no longer manufacture this product. Alternative product to consider is British Paints Timber Protect Decking oil water-based and available from Bunnings Narrabeen, please visit this link to assist you with product information. https://www.britishpaints.com.au/paint-products/woodcare/timber-protect-decking-oil-water-based. If you need further assistance with your project, please contact our Help & Advice team on 132525. Our operating hours are Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturday 8:30am to 3:00pm. - British Paints Team

Get an answer from our members and British Paints representatives