Oil Based, Water Based
See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by British Paints

3.7
  • Coverage
  • Finish Quality
  • Ease of Application

Kiwila Colour

Bought Kiwila, colour, good to use, but turned out bright orange, how can I make this more natural - even darker brown would be good to blend in with the rest of the garden.

Purchased in October 2020 for $58.00.

JRoy
JRoySydney, NSW

Perfect, deck is back looking as new.

Used other brands over the years, tried this for the first time and i must say I am really impressed. Applied 2 coats, took some time to dry. A low sheen finish is impressive.

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $68.00.

James S.British Paints

Thank you for your feedback! It's fantastic to hear that you have had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track - The Help and Advice Team

Icathler
IcathlerQueensland

Sludge

I just got this product and it won't mix. Sludge at the bottom that you can barely scrape off and won't mix with the rest. Wish id reviewed before as this problem has been mentioned for 3 years.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $59.00.

DuluxBritish Paints

max
maxSydney, NSW

easy to use,make sure to mix it well

i cleaned my deck with a napisan solution before oiling,the first coat was dry in 2 days i recoated making sure not to apply too much.the 2nd coat was dry in 2-3days and i was happy with the result iwaited approx 5months and applied another coat and am still happy with the results.

Bill
BillPerth, WA

Simply Does The Job

I chose this after much research. I used "natural" colour to enhance grain of timber decking. It went on easily with a roller after cutting in edges with a brush. I wiped of excess with a cloth ten minutes after each coat. So far, it has impressed producing a lovely dull sheen and enhancing the natural grain. It's cheaper than most other decking oils, but from my experience and others, appears to be better. Happy oiling.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Nick W.British Paints

Hi Bill, Thanks for taking the time to review our decking oil product. We appreciate the feedback and all the best with your next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Exact finish I’d hoped for!

I read the mixed reviews on this forum before committing to try this product. So glad I went with my gut feeling and bought it. The jetty now looks like the day it was built. Very happy with British Paints natural colour decking oil. Will definitely be buying this product for the next application.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Hi Craig,

Thanks for taking the time to review our Decking Oil product. We appreciate the feedback! All the best with your next project, The British Paints Team

Spike
SpikeSunshine coast

Top product!

Good product, have used several different brands over the years, this one is auick and simple.
Brings out the maubau grain nicely.
The paint did have sediment on the bottom (from sitting on bunnings shelf) but nothing a good quality paint stirrer couldn't fix.

By the way I used the BP gloss varnish, and it came up really good, after 5 coats.

Top products.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Nick W.British Paints

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our product. We value your feedback and all the best for the next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Great product

Hi
Found the BP oil base decking oil easy and quick to apply. It needed to be as I have over 160 square meters of decking at various levels. Makes decking on the place look great. Unfortunately, to maintain this I have been recoating it annually; at some point the timber will become nicely saturated and this may turn into a biannual event.Just hope BP continue to make the stuff; and leave the recipe as is.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Yellow deck, yuk

As per some of the other comments, we purchased British Paints Decking Oil, Natural finish, to go on our existing cleaned and weathered deck. Buntings consultant advised that it was a clear liquid but upon application it is a horrible yellow color, certainly not natural.
Returning this product to Bunnings.
Thank you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Catherine
Catherine

Unhappy with colour, so yellow

I used BP water-based oil colour Natural on pine decking. It is bright yellow. It's awful and I'm so disappointed. How can I fix it? I've done two coats and each coat just makes it more yellow. How can I fix it? Can I go over the top with a different colour?

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Stoffel1Perth

Surprisingly good and excellent value for money

Used it on our 2 year old deck, which had been oiled with a MUCH more expensive product. It went on easily, covered well, and made the deck look brand new again. Thee only downside is that it remained a bit sticky for a few days. It is a great product at a wonderful price. I will be using it exclusively from now on!

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Stoffel1

Thanks. Very happy with the product. Keep it up.

Tracey
TraceyFar North Queensland, QLD

Sludge won't budge

I recently purchased the British paints water based decking oil. It looked milky muddy colour and had sludge at the bottom. After mixing for a substantial amount of time the sludge still did not decrease. Taking back to bunning to get a refund and buy Aqua deck as I know I won't have issues with that product. Not happy as my nearest Bunnings is over an hour away!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Norman Steffen
Norman SteffenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good can't complain

We used the " Natural " now 2 years on treated pine. Every 12 month and it is doing the job in my opinion.
I used a lot less after the first treatment. The decking is facing north on a Gold Coast Water way. I think water based is the way to go.

paul
paulmekbourne

Good value ,excellent depth of colour and coverage

Screffy Juff
Screffy JuffMelbourne

Lovely on dark timber at first - need to replace after 12 months.

Applied two coats of BP decking oil really easily to a merbau deck in Jan 2016, which brought out the merbau's lovely dark lustre. Within a couple of months it had gone quite dull, and now after 12 months the exposed boards have started to go grey and the coating has become flaky, which I will need to either acid wash or sand back and re-oil. I suspect that the UV properties in the oil haven't worked properly, which might be explained by the thick sludge I had tried to stir in. I was really hoping to get a good result from BP decking oil, but I'll re-oil with another product, which, with early testing on merbau, looks and feels more robust and protective.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Leonie S
Leonie Sasked
Decking Oil Oil Based

Hi we have a Merabu deck it is about 8 yrs old and the end boards have greyed as they get the sun and rain. I want to reoil and note you have a one coat water base decking oil. Can I use this over previous oil base decking oils?

Siloni L.British Paints

Hello Leonie, Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Team.

TIna
TInaasked
Decking Oil Water Based

HI,

I have used this Decking oil on the deck, this deck is built from Ikea deck packs as a replacment to ugly tiles on our balcony so was placed over the top of outdoor ceramic tiles the oil over the last 12 months of applications has dripped through onto the tiles very badly. we only know this as well have just removed the entire deck and all the tiles are stained. I would like to know what product do you have that will pull this from the tiles as it is a right mess

Siloni L.British Paints

Hello there, Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Team.

...
...asked
Decking Oil

I had a tradie use this on one side of 12mm ply in order to seal it from any moisture coming in from the backside as he is cladding brick walls inside a shop in a high humidity area.

The smell is intense and terrible!
I feel stupid not doing product research beforehand, I’m now worried the odour will be a constant as it can’t cure out being an outside product and my second concern is the oil leaching through the 12mm ply to any paintwork on the front side.

Bad idea all round I feel...

Here are my questions:
Are the fumes toxic?
Will the fumes be a permanent thing in this situation?
Will the oil leech through ?

Looking forward to your reply

Siloni L.British Paints

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We would love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Team.

See all British Paints Decking Oil questions