British Paints Decking Oil

British Paints Decking Oil

Oil Based and Water Based

easy to use,make sure to mix it well

i cleaned my deck with a napisan solution before oiling,the first coat was dry in 2 days i recoated making sure not to apply too much.the 2nd coat was dry in 2-3days and i was happy with the result iwaited approx 5months and applied another coat and am still happy with the results.

Hi Max, Thanks for the positive review and we are glad to hear about your results. All the best with your next project, Regards, The British Paints Team.

Simply Does The Job

I chose this after much research. I used "natural" colour to enhance grain of timber decking. It went on easily with a roller after cutting in edges with a brush. I wiped of excess with a cloth ten minutes after each coat. So far, it has impressed producing a lovely dull sheen and enhancing the natural grain. It's cheaper than most other decking oils, but from my experience and others, appears to be better. Happy oiling.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Bill, Thanks for taking the time to review our decking oil product. We appreciate the feedback and all the best with your next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Exact finish I’d hoped for!

I read the mixed reviews on this forum before committing to try this product. So glad I went with my gut feeling and bought it. The jetty now looks like the day it was built. Very happy with British Paints natural colour decking oil. Will definitely be buying this product for the next application.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi Craig, Thanks for taking the time to review our Decking Oil product. We appreciate the feedback! All the best with your next project, The British Paints Team

Top product!

Good product, have used several different brands over the years, this one is auick and simple.
Brings out the maubau grain nicely.
The paint did have sediment on the bottom (from sitting on bunnings shelf) but nothing a good quality paint stirrer couldn't fix.

By the way I used the BP gloss varnish, and it came up really good, after 5 coats.

Top products.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our product. We value your feedback and all the best for the next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Great product

Hi
Found the BP oil base decking oil easy and quick to apply. It needed to be as I have over 160 square meters of decking at various levels. Makes decking on the place look great. Unfortunately, to maintain this I have been recoating it annually; at some point the timber will become nicely saturated and this may turn into a biannual event.Just hope BP continue to make the stuff; and leave the recipe as is.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi, Thanks for taking the time to review our decking oil product. We appreciate the feedback, all the best with your next project! Regards, The British Paints Team

Yellow deck, yuk

As per some of the other comments, we purchased British Paints Decking Oil, Natural finish, to go on our existing cleaned and weathered deck. Buntings consultant advised that it was a clear liquid but upon application it is a horrible yellow color, certainly not natural.
Returning this product to Bunnings.
Thank you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Unhappy with colour, so yellow

I used BP water-based oil colour Natural on pine decking. It is bright yellow. It's awful and I'm so disappointed. How can I fix it? I've done two coats and each coat just makes it more yellow. How can I fix it? Can I go over the top with a different colour?

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Catherine, Sorry to read about your issue with Decking Oil. For Treated Pine and other lightly pigmented timbers, we recommend using (insert name of British Paints Decking Stain here if it's not just Decking Stain) and not Decking Oil. An oil is lightly pigmented and perfect for darker timbers such as Merbau or Spotted Gum. A stain is highly pigmented and designed to change the color of lightly pigmented timbers to have a richer appearance - perfect for Treated Pine. To darken the colour, apply one coat of a water based stain to your deck. For further assistance, please call us on 13 25 25. The British Paints Team

Surprisingly good and excellent value for money

Used it on our 2 year old deck, which had been oiled with a MUCH more expensive product. It went on easily, covered well, and made the deck look brand new again. Thee only downside is that it remained a bit sticky for a few days. It is a great product at a wonderful price. I will be using it exclusively from now on!

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Hi Stoffel1, This is great to hear. We are glad to hear you are proud of the finish. Just on the tackiness, this may be caused by cooler temperatures or humidity. And you have done the right thing by waiting to ensure the finish has properly set. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to give us a call on 13 25 25 The British Paints TeamThanks. Very happy with the product. Keep it up.

Sludge won't budge

I recently purchased the British paints water based decking oil. It looked milky muddy colour and had sludge at the bottom. After mixing for a substantial amount of time the sludge still did not decrease. Taking back to bunning to get a refund and buy Aqua deck as I know I won't have issues with that product. Not happy as my nearest Bunnings is over an hour away!

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi Tracey, Thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with our product. It is unusual for our product not to mix after a thorough stir. Sometimes our products can sit on the shelf for a while in store, causing the ingredients to settle in the container. We'd like to get a batch number off you and follow up to ensure we can help you achieve the results you are after. Could you please call us on 13 25 25 and quote reference number 4420290. The British Paints Team

Good can't complain

We used the " Natural " now 2 years on treated pine. Every 12 month and it is doing the job in my opinion.
I used a lot less after the first treatment. The decking is facing north on a Gold Coast Water way. I think water based is the way to go.

Good value ,excellent depth of colour and coverage

Decking is 20 square metres under cover and 5 years old. Gave a good scrub down with decking cleaner over very faded original cheap stain over pine decking..
I was looking at water -based products but reviews were very inconsistent so decided to go for oil-based Merbau colour. Had mind set on Cabot's but was not happy with sample colours then spotted British Paints colour which appeared very good in samples. I ended up buying 12 litres which was applied with brush for edges and along walls then a lambswool applicator. First coat got soaked into the old timber quickly but on the second coat the colour was superb with just the right amount of low sheen-not glossy.I probably applied the second coat a little too heavily but after 12 hours of drying in mild weather it was settled down smoothly. It obviously smells during the drying process but it was outside. Decking now looks better than when originally done. 'Onya British Paints. First time I've ever used this brand

Lovely on dark timber at first - need to replace after 12 months.

Applied two coats of BP decking oil really easily to a merbau deck in Jan 2016, which brought out the merbau's lovely dark lustre. Within a couple of months it had gone quite dull, and now after 12 months the exposed boards have started to go grey and the coating has become flaky, which I will need to either acid wash or sand back and re-oil. I suspect that the UV properties in the oil haven't worked properly, which might be explained by the thick sludge I had tried to stir in. I was really hoping to get a good result from BP decking oil, but I'll re-oil with another product, which, with early testing on merbau, looks and feels more robust and protective.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Excellent product.

I purchased a 4 litre can of the water based decking oil from Bunnings, they kindly offered to shake'mix it up on their machine so all I had to do was the give it a stir prior to application, it was easy to apply and after 2 coats the deck looks brilliant, the product is far better than other more expensive brands.

Hi Brian, Thanks for your review. We're glad you're happy with your freshly coated deck. For previously uncoated timber, we recommend 3 coats of Decking Oil to make sure the timber is thoroughly protected. This might darken the colour a little bit, but it could be worth it in the long run. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call on 13 25 25

best product for our decking

Excellent product at an excellent price. Have just used 12 litres, would not buy anything else for our decked verandah
Easy to use, needed very little mixing. The oil held well on the brush and dld not splash on the walls.
Have tried other products in the past but this has been the easiest to use with best results. Love the 6 litre can, great value

Hi Phil, We are thrilled that you are very happy with our British Paints Decking Oil. Best of luck with your deck, and hope you plan to enjoy it over the rest of Summer. From the British Paints Team.

wow just used this for the first time today special 6 liters for about 55 dollars at Bunnings wont use another product ever again . Fantastic oil based goes on decking like butter . I was a bit worried about using a oil based oil but I would recommend this product to anyone

Trust British Paints? - Sure can

After reading the various reviews, I went for the oil based and it was a good choice. After ensuring it was shaken/mixed properly. I had prepped the deck prior by removing old stain. It went on easily. It has brought the deck back to life and it looks a treat.

Won't Buy It Again.

I asked Bunnings to put tin on machine and mix it before I purchased. Then I stirred it thoroughly myself before using. Sludge at bottom was hard to mix through base. The coverage is poor. It looks crap on my old deck. The opacity is too pale to cover the old stains that you get on an old deck even though I power washed it first to try and get uniform look to start with. My thoughts are that you would only use this product on a brand new deck where the boards are pristine.

Hi Sam, We are sorry to read you were disappointed with the finish of British Paints Decking Oil. It sounds like you may need a stain for your deck. British Paints Decking Oil can be applied to any existing decking and it is a semi-transparent oil. As such, it typically provides limited hiding ability. Depending on your deck, it may have been required to scrub the deck with a timber cleaner prior to, and not just a power wash. We would also be very happy to discuss this further, and help understand how the oil was applied to your deck. So that we could provide you the right help in getting a great finish for your deck. Please call us on 13 25 25 and quote your reference number 4271790. Also its very important to note that we do not recommend putting decking oils into the shaker machine. A simple, thorough stir with a flat blade stirrer is all it takes on most occasions. Kind Regards British Paints Team

Will never buy a BP product again

After reading the previous reviews on this website I purchased the BP water based decking oil. When buying from Bunnings I got them to shake it up on their machine. Before using I stirred the oil with a paddle mixer only to find a thick mass on the bottom of the tin. I used a mixer fitted to a drill to dissolve the thick mass. I then used the paddle mixer again.i had some success but still there was some left. Decided to return decking oil to Bunnings. They opened the other tins which had different batch numbers only to find they were all as bad. Purchased Cabots aqua deck.

Good quality for a great price

After preparing the area (mechanically removing old stain) the new stain went on well with a roller and brush. Good coverage with an even finish bought up the old deck like new. Very happy :)

Leaves Cabots for dead

This is a fantastic product, I have been using it for a while now and am very happy with the results.
Cabots Aquadeck has stuffed my rear deck, its absolutly garbage, went on patchy and formed a film which is beginning to peel of after 12 months.

Can you use EnrichTM deck and exterior timber oil on outdoor timber furniture? The timber is teak and Keruing.
Hi Marie, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We’d love to help you with your project, and hope that you could give us a call at your convenience so we can ask you a few more questions. Our Help & Advice Team are reachable on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and are available Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm, Saturdays from 8:30am to 3:00pm, and Sundays from 10am to 4pm AEST. We look forward to assisting you further with your outdoor timber furniture – The British Paints Team.

If you are doing 3 coats, how long do you need to wait to apply the third coat?
I have used the OIL based product and the WATER based product. The OIL based product was very good, but the WATER based product left a lot to be desired. I would not recommend it. Very thin and inefective. I switched to FeastWatson. Much Better. Three coats, each a day apart and it is still like day one. I switched to WATER based simply because the finish lasts longer.Hi Elodie, thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The British Paints Team.

Hi BP - we have been leaning towards "October Brown" as an oil based for our treated pine fence, but a friend of ours has used your Timber Protect 10L brown stain. i know there is always a difference in colours between oil and water based - but is there any chart of colours BP have that i can get an idea of how close the colours are / could be. it might just have to buy a example pot

British Paints Decking Oil Oil BasedBritish Paints Decking Oil Water Based