Wattyl Killrust

Wattyl Killrust

Epoxy Gloss Enamel, Rust-Eeter, Satin Enamel, etc...

• Coverage
  • Finish Quality
  • Longevity
  • Ease of Application
Alfred

AlfredMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

This is my go to product when working with metal

I have used killrust eater for 20plus years and find it the best product to neutralise light rust on any steel products I am repairing or restoring after clean up I just use any metal primer I have at hand no problems

Purchased at Mitre 10.

Ease of Application

The best treatment for rust...and I've tried a few -- Wattyl killrust Rust-Eeter in a BOTTLE 200ml

1 day to dry, but best to leave it 3 -4 days. It's been 5 years, no rust on what was a brown rust surface. Just perfect. No idea why some retailers have since gone with other less effective but cheaper brands. You only get what you pay for. Trying to find it again in Victoria. Frustrating, I think I bought the last bottle from one of the Mitre10s a few months back:( I've clearly got other work to do. If some stores would agree to special order it, that would be very helpful.

Purchased in December 2015 at Paint Spot.

BumbleBee

BumbleBeeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Can't fault it

Needed to paint a galvanised steel box (designed to house a lawn mower) before attaching it to a trailer. We first painted the lid using another similar but different brand product. This ran out so we decided to get something different and I seemed to remember my dad always using Killrust. Bought a small can of Grey Epoxy (not cheap!). Painted the rest of the outside of the box which used a surprisingly small amount of product - only about 1/6 of a small can, if that. About 1 year later and the lid is rusted while the rest looks like new.

Excellent product, expensive but goes a long way.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Wattyl Killrust compares to other Paints & Varnishes

gddayve

gddayveSydney, NSW

My go-to gloss enamel

I am a heritage wrought iron fence manufacturer and this is my recommendation to customers. I supply the product hot dip galvanized and professionally applied Wattyl Super Etch.
But it is not only for metal. My own internal timber joinery, if painted, gets this epoxy enamel because it is hard wearing, and produces a smooth gloss straight off the brush. With good preparation and technique often one top coat with this is sufficient. Far superior to regular enamels.
The only problem is limited tint bases, so I need to slum it with White Knight or Dulux Metalshield if a darker colour needs to be mixed. This is why I docked it a star.

Purchased in June 1990.

Painted SurfaceMetal, Previously painted and Wood
Tim Bather

Tim BatherPerth, WA

Awesome for rust

Best stuff for rusty metal using their multiple cost system. It can also go straight over galvanised metals. My go to product for rusty steel handrails where durability is required.

Purchased in March 2019 at Wattyl paints .

Blake

Blake

Fantastic paint

Terry Tinnie

Terry TinnieWestern District, VIC

killrust epoxy gloss - amazing

used gloss black and white on my tinnie after using etch primer and some masking tape made a twenty year old tinnie look like one straight out the show room. As an amateur this was very suprising to get such an even finish and 4.2metres of boat done with two aerosol cans of each colour, wide gunwales as well.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Easy to apply but oxidizes quickly

This paint is good on metal and recent welds. However my experience is the paint oxidizes quickly and I need to repaint the surfaces every two years if I want to keep the shiny surface!. It also tends to flake after a couple of years so water blasting is necessy in preparing the work,

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Charles k

Charles kCroydon

best paint out of a spray can

Used this paint for the first time on a tower clock movement,,using gloss black and Brunswick green what can I say absolutely brilliant finish,preparation before you paint is a must three light coats and you will not believe the finish,I would recommend this product ..
There is nothing I can say negative about kill rust paint,,,,,

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Wattyl Killrust compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Slazmo

SlazmoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent rust stopper / preventative paint!

I have used Kill rust in the past and have found it to be a excellent choice in its simple paint form. Wattyl suggest that you use it in a 3 step process however if your surfaces aren't too corroded with huge flaking pieces of rust, the paint can be applied straight onto the metal without any serious preparation.

Typically I applied it to the bottom of a vehicle and to parts that were unpainted on control arms and associated areas to prevent any further rust growing. It has taken some abuse and has held up to the tests of time.
Easy to apply and hardens extremely well when dry, rust is smothered and will not grow under the paint!
Expensive to buy.

No wash

No washasked

Killrust Epoxy Gloss Enamel

I am repainting above the waterline on a quintrex aluminium fishing boat that is in very good condition I have given it a good sand down to dull gloss and feather chips out do I now apply etch primer or is this not necessarily as there is no bare metal or just apply two coats of kill rust epoxy gloss with spray Regards Wayne

Kiwi Will

Etch Primer is solely for bare metal. It make a bonding surface for the coating of a paint to 'hang on to' because paints often don't have that same 'grip', to a natural raw surface.
Etch is usually a much thinner type of coating but thick enough and has specific properties to it, which allow other paint to bind to.

Kiwi Willasked

Killrust

I am wishing to paint 4 x 40ft shipping Reefers (insulated shipping containers).
I considered spray painting them with a 2 pot automotive paint but found it was going to be approx $2500 for each Reefer so have been looking at Wattyl Killrust.

My question to others who have used it previously, is what sort of life expectancy can be expected from Killrust?
I understand its a 3 coat system but becasue the Reefers are all previously painted with an unknown type of coating. Im assuming that its been either an epoxy or at least an enamel coating.

All these Reefers are mostly made of stainless steel sheeting but the corner posts are a metal which shows that they are susceptible to rust, so likely to have a fairly high carbon content grade of steel. (Or maybe Core 10).

Has anyone had any experience with Killrust on Stainless?
Has there been any problems or maybe warnings about what to be cautions with
I am imagining that it will be ok as its an Epoxy based Enamel but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. (and maybe gals I s'pose)

Crash

Crashasked

Killrust Epoxy Gloss Enamel

How long is it until the Epoxy Gloss Enamel paint reaches it finish hardness.