See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

My go-to gloss enamel

I am a heritage wrought iron fence manufacturer and this is my recommendation to customers. I supply the product hot dip galvanized and professionally applied Wattyl Super Etch.
But it is not only for metal. My own internal timber joinery, if painted, gets this epoxy enamel because it is hard wearing, and produces a smooth gloss straight off the brush. With good preparation and technique often one top coat with this is sufficient. Far superior to regular enamels.
The only problem is limited tint bases, so I need to slum it with White Knight or Dulux Metalshield if a darker colour needs to be mixed. This is why I docked it a star.

Purchased in June 1990.

Painted SurfaceMetal, Previously painted and Wood

Awesome for rust

Best stuff for rusty metal using their multiple cost system. It can also go straight over galvanised metals. My go to product for rusty steel handrails where durability is required.

Purchased in March 2019 at Wattyl paints .

Painted SurfaceMetal
Usage
Finish Quality
Ease of Application
Coverage
Longevity

Fantastic paint

After reading several reviews about a few brands of paint I decided I would try Wattyl Killrust. Unexpectedly, at my local Home Hardware the Wattyl was actually cheaper than the Dulux or White Knight equivalents from Bunnings which had some mixed opinions. I'm glad I went with the Wattyl, as it has been fantastic so far. I'm brushing it on a car trailer and it is going on very well, I've been able to lay down a nice thick coat without runs so it doesn't need a second coat. The consistency of the paint out of the tin is great, maybe just a tad too thick to brush straight on but a dash of thinners sorts that out. It would require significant thinning for spraying.

After 24 hours the coating was rock hard, and some impacts I would have expected to leave marks have done nothing at all so it seems quite durable. It will be some time before I see how it stands up to UV but as it is I'm pleased with it, especially given it was also a hair cheaper than some competitor products with which other reviewers have had poor experiences.

killrust epoxy gloss - amazing

used gloss black and white on my tinnie after using etch primer and some masking tape made a twenty year old tinnie look like one straight out the show room. As an amateur this was very suprising to get such an even finish and 4.2metres of boat done with two aerosol cans of each colour, wide gunwales as well.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Easy to apply but oxidizes quickly

This paint is good on metal and recent welds. However my experience is the paint oxidizes quickly and I need to repaint the surfaces every two years if I want to keep the shiny surface!. It also tends to flake after a couple of years so water blasting is necessy in preparing the work,

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

best paint out of a spray can

Used this paint for the first time on a tower clock movement,,using gloss black and Brunswick green what can I say absolutely brilliant finish,preparation before you paint is a must three light coats and you will not believe the finish,I would recommend this product ..
There is nothing I can say negative about kill rust paint,,,,,

Excellent rust stopper / preventative paint!

I have used Kill rust in the past and have found it to be a excellent choice in its simple paint form. Wattyl suggest that you use it in a 3 step process however if your surfaces aren't too corroded with huge flaking pieces of rust, the paint can be applied straight onto the metal without any serious preparation.

Typically I applied it to the bottom of a vehicle and to parts that were unpainted on control arms and associated areas to prevent any further rust growing. It has taken some abuse and has held up to the tests of time.
Easy to apply and hardens extremely well when dry, rust is smothered and will not grow under the paint!
Expensive to buy.

Hi this is phil, was just woundering if you could tell me is it all right to apply epoxy enamel paint over plastic
It should stick to almost anything but as long as the plastic is cleaned properly and an appropriate undercoat applied it should be all right

I have painted outdoor but covered steel stool legs that were mildly rusted with this product and the black finish looks great Can I leave them like this or do I have to prime and then TOP coat them
It needs a topcoat.

Do I need to thin Kill rust paint before using it in my spray gun. if so with what and what ratio? cheers David
All purpose thinners up to 10%. However I would try other options before putting it through a spray gun.