Wattyl Killrust

Epoxy Gloss Enamel, Rust-Eeter, Satin Enamel, etc... (See All)
See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Wattyl

• Coverage
  • Finish Quality
  • Longevity
  • Ease of Application
gddayve
gddayveSydney, NSW

Follow up to "go-to gloss enamel" review

I previously reviewed this product when there were no deep tint bases available, limiting the available colours. For that I docked it a star, for an otherwise stellar product. That has now been addressed by Wattyl so therefore I can now happily give it the full five star rating. Bunnings sell White Knight which I'm not familiar with, might be OK, and Dulux Metalshield which I won't touch. It is too soft for too long, heavy rain 6 hours after application will peen the surface. One of my customers rang after about 4 years regretting not taking my advice and used Dulux instead because it is easy to get. Premature fading was her problem, which is something I have never seen with Killrust.

Painted SurfaceMetal and Wood
Ease of Application
passingfad
passingfad

has lasted 30 years

I painted this on my old datsun about 30 years ago in white - engine bay, interiour, boot area, wheel wells etc. Sold the car the other day and it was still rust free with the paint still looking fresh and shiny. Have also painted rally cars with it and will continue to do so.

Alfred
AlfredMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

This is my go to product when working with metal

I have used killrust eater for 20plus years and find it the best product to neutralise light rust on any steel products I am repairing or restoring after clean up I just use any metal primer I have at hand no problems

Purchased at Mitre 10.

Juliet
Juliet

The best treatment for rust...and I've tried a few -- Wattyl killrust Rust-Eeter in a BOTTLE 200ml

1 day to dry, but best to leave it 3 -4 days. It's been 5 years, no rust on what was a brown rust surface. Just perfect. No idea why some retailers have since gone with other less effective but cheaper brands. You only get what you pay for. Trying to find it again in Victoria. Frustrating, I think I bought the last bottle from one of the Mitre10s a few months back:( I've clearly got other work to do. If some stores would agree to special order it, that would be very helpful.

Purchased in December 2015 at Paint Spot.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Wattyl Killrust compares to other Paints & Varnishes

BumbleBee
BumbleBeeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Can't fault it

Needed to paint a galvanised steel box (designed to house a lawn mower) before attaching it to a trailer. We first painted the lid using another similar but different brand product. This ran out so we decided to get something different and I seemed to remember my dad always using Killrust. Bought a small can of Grey Epoxy (not cheap!). Painted the rest of the outside of the box which used a surprisingly small amount of product - only about 1/6 of a small can, if that. About 1 year later and the lid is rusted while the rest looks like new.

Excellent product, expensive but goes a long way.

Tim Bather
Tim BatherPerth, WA

Awesome for rust

Best stuff for rusty metal using their multiple cost system. It can also go straight over galvanised metals. My go to product for rusty steel handrails where durability is required.

Purchased in March 2019 at Wattyl paints .

Blake
Blake

Fantastic paint

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Clara V.14 Feb 2022
Terry Tinnie
Terry TinnieWestern District, VIC

killrust epoxy gloss - amazing

used gloss black and white on my tinnie after using etch primer and some masking tape made a twenty year old tinnie look like one straight out the show room. As an amateur this was very suprising to get such an even finish and 4.2metres of boat done with two aerosol cans of each colour, wide gunwales as well.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017

Easy to apply but oxidizes quickly

This paint is good on metal and recent welds. However my experience is the paint oxidizes quickly and I need to repaint the surfaces every two years if I want to keep the shiny surface!. It also tends to flake after a couple of years so water blasting is necessy in preparing the work,

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Wattyl Killrust compares to other Paints & Varnishes

Charles k
Charles kCroydon

best paint out of a spray can

Used this paint for the first time on a tower clock movement,,using gloss black and Brunswick green what can I say absolutely brilliant finish,preparation before you paint is a must three light coats and you will not believe the finish,I would recommend this product ..
There is nothing I can say negative about kill rust paint,,,,,

Slazmo
SlazmoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Excellent rust stopper / preventative paint!

I have used Kill rust in the past and have found it to be a excellent choice in its simple paint form. Wattyl suggest that you use it in a 3 step process however if your surfaces aren't too corroded with huge flaking pieces of rust, the paint can be applied straight onto the metal without any serious preparation.

Typically I applied it to the bottom of a vehicle and to parts that were unpainted on control arms and associated areas to prevent any further rust growing. It has taken some abuse and has held up to the tests of time.
Easy to apply and hardens extremely well when dry, rust is smothered and will not grow under the paint!
Expensive to buy.