Chef CFG517S / CFG517W

• Safety
  • Preheating Speed
Margaret

MargaretNorthern Region, NSW

Disappointing product and customer service

kim mareeSouth-East, TAS

Knobs here very hot

I purchased this oven on recommendation that Chef are reliable brand. It is a very basic model, but works adequately. However, my biggest concern is the control knobs get very hot when using the oven, even at moderate temperature. This would burn an unsuspecting person. Other reviews have identified same problem so I’m assuming a fault with chef gas ovens. Disappointed.

Purchased in March 2020 at Betta Home Living for $608.00.

Darrin R

Darrin RSydney, NSW

Chef Natural gas stove electric grill

Great stove. Was surprised with the electric grill as our last one was all gas. However, am impressed with the ease of starting and the way everything is cooked. Very good stove for the price.

Purchased in October 2019 at The Good Guys for $925.00.

Watts Up

Watts UpSydney, NSW

Poor Technical Support

Purchased in August 2019.

Burntfingers

BurntfingersGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Dangerous

The stove top inc. controls gets way too hot if the oven is used on a higher temperature. As I have read other complaints about this, it would appear to be a faulty design, with poor insulation - and hence a regretful purchase, where I feel conned by Chef's reputation in purchasing this cooker. I was amazed that they've let this one through. The oven is also poor, producing temperatures that don't reflect the settings on the control. Consequently, cake baking is a disaster unless one tries to adapt by experimentation. The model is a dud.

Purchased in November 2017 for $610.00.

Abezza

AbezzaFlorey 2615, ACT

Cooks well but suffers from poor build quality at the base of the unit

Purchased in October 2018 for $1,108.00.

Mair

MairSydney

Would not purchase again, weak gas flow on some burners

Was not expecting too much but I would not purchase again. It has weak gas flow on some burners. I previously had an electric stove and surprising it felt as though it heated faster than this on the stove top. The oven works reasonably well for baking and have had some success there however the clicker to ignite has stopped working so you have to go in with a gas oven lighter (my partner is not a fan!). Only other plus point is that the enamel is relatively is easy to clean but not much more than most ovens I'd imagine. Had hoped (as an oven should) that this would last some time but I'm feeling doubtful. Not much else to say, will do better research before my next purchase.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Jebz

JebzMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Faulty Cooktop Design, avoid

Awful regrettable purchase. From new I have had problems with the burners not staying on the cooktop. It will ignite, flame will start and as I let go the flame goes out. I called and had them replaced once and now the same this has happened. Faulty cooktop thermocouples apparently. With I purchased something else, what's the point of having gas if I can't use a cooktop for 50% of the time?

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Luforge

LuforgeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

"Happy overall" but Grill slider could be better

I have had this chef oven for about 12 months so far. Im very happy with it. Has the Wok gas outlet too. The oven compartment is well lit and is fan forced and makes for speedy meals. When you pull the tray out from the griller its very sqeaky and a bit awkward. Chef could've designed it so its an easy glide..
overall:
+ Wok burner gas outlet-well lit oven with fan force/ modern design.
- Grill slider could be an improvement/Glass oven corner joints for cleaning could be better than snap on as one corner is now a bit loose after cleaning.

Date PurchasedSept 2015

Sophie

SophieCampbelltown

Exellent oven

I purchased this oven about six Months ago and it's been great, cooks evenly and it's so easy to use, My old oven was Chef also and lasted for years. I highly recommend it it's a great buy. I'm happy with it, the thing I like the most about it is that, I can also remove the oven glass and clean it, it's great I keep it clean and shiny all the time after each use, well! I'm a happy Customer!

Date PurchasedAug 2016

David A.NSW, 2370

Great cooker

Date PurchasedSept 2015
David A.

After 15 months use of this Chef stove can still say delighted with the stove and importantly the oven. This is one of the best ovens ever used. The temperature is accurate and the heat distribution with the fan forced is excellent.

Very hot and one burner not working

When we use oven and grill together it's exterior very hot.if someone touch accidently it's definitely burn . especially it's not safe for children.one burner is not working.i called customer care number and explain the situation. They promised to solve the problem. And they will call me back.but customer care center not call me back.the service is terrible.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Dangerously Hot Exterior When Oven on High Temps

Reading other reviews on this model it would seem this is a fault in not fitting sufficient insulation for the oven. The outer casing gets dangerously hot when cooking over 200 deg Celcius (eg pizza; roast veg) and if a child were to touch it he/she would get burnt. This heat also radiates up to the control knobs. I hate to think of how this fault will raise the temperature of my kitchen in summer.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Alasdair36

Alasdair36South West, WA

Good value for money.

We replaced a 10 year old Italian gas/electric. Fed up with replacing elements we went for gas/gas. It has a quiet fan for the oven. The outer sides get warm, but we can live with that. Gas oven might not be quite as hot as an electric, but for 95% of our needs it is fine. We cook bread weekly and it is excellent. The reviews for $2000-4000 stoves had many negatives, so our thinking was that we would pay less for them. We have not had any with the Chef.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Davo

Davo

Get a Gas Fitter to check before buying NEW

We spent 3 days looking and researching for a full gas 600mm upright. With very few 600mm uprights we decided to go 540mm as there was more choices. After choosing a Chef to replace the 25yo 600mm Chef brand that we have, we read the reviews and were totally frustrated with not only Chef, but most uprights as far as features and life span. We decided to get a gas fitter out to check our stove. It turned out a burnt out thermocouple was the problem which was replaced for $140 which included the call out and labour. My advice is, unless you are positive that the unit cannot be repaired, get a person to check.
It may save you a new stove and possibly $1000 plus for an inferior model to what you already have.

Lee

LeeHunter Region, NSW

What a sham.

The stove in my house is a very old chef upright and its fantastic cooks great but is showing wear,
both my husband and myself love it, yes its basic but that's all you need.
So off we went to have a look at a new one for the new kitchen; I must admit it is a bit tinny and nowhere as solid as the old one,
very disappointing really and on reading these reviews its also a bit of a worry.
I'm not going on price I will pay extra for something that's good or made here.
So come on chef lift your game; my mum had 10 kids and cooked on one of these for years so I think that says a lot.
regards all and thanks.

Danni M

Danni MBrisbane

Disappointment is an understatement

ELECTROLUX ..Chef Cooking

Dissapointed - dangerously hot when oven on

Stove gets dangerously hot when using oven - much much hotter than 2 older Chef gas stoves we have had experience with.

A Chef nominated gas fitter examined stove and recommended that the oven NOT BE USED!!.

Thought this might mave been a construction fault but it looks like a design fault - should have read this product review.

Jen P

Jen P

Good little unit

Love how it is compact and I do prefer cooking with gas.

It's been a great little unit, easy to keep clean and although it doesn't take up much space the stove top and oven are just as big (oven slightly bigger) than what I had which was of average size so I'm really quite happy.

I'm enjoying it.

mazrayAdelaide, South Australia

Never Buy One Again.

Same complaint as everyone else. The whole cooker gets boiling hot. I thought there was something wrong with mine but obviously that's just the way they are. My oven goes out quite often too and I end up with a half cooked meal. I think they are dangerous and should be recalled. Would not recommend this to anyone.

mazray

model no. CFG515WA. Can't see the point in discussing it. If the other comments are anything to go by, it seems to be normal with chef gas cookers.