Coles Rewards Mastercard

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Pros

• 50,000 Bonus Points when you apply by 30 September 2019 and spend $1,500 in the first 3 months

• No International Transaction Fee

• Earn 2 flybuys Points per $1 on eligible spend

• $10 off Coles supermarket shop at the checkout each time you redeem 2,000 flybuys points

• 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 6 months

Cons

• Relatively high $99 Annual Fee

• $30 Late Payment Fee

There are plenty of benefits to take advantage of with this Coles Mastercard, offering bonus flybuys points, no international transaction fee, and the ability to earn double flybuys points. This comes at the cost of a $99 annual fee and a 19.99% p.a. interest rate, but if you want to rack up those flybuys points, makes it worth your money.

Earning Points:

• Flybuys Loyalty Program Earn Rate: Earn 2 points for every $1 on eligible spend
  • Velocity Frequent Flyer Points: Transfer flybuys points to your Velocity account in multiples of 2,000 flybuys points for 870 Velocity points, up to a maximum of 138,000 flybuys points (60,030 Velocity points) per calendar year.

Offers and Perks:

• Apply for a new Coles Rewards Mastercard by 30 September 2019 and you'll collect 50,000 bonus points if you spend $1,500 in the first 3 months from account approval date. That's equivalent to 21,750 Velocity Frequent Flyer points.
  • No international transaction fee. Save money by ensuring you don't pay any unnecessary foreign fees. This is a frequent flyer credit card ideal for travellers, especially if you have a Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer membership.
  • Balance transfer offer: 0% p.a. balance transfer rate for 6 months. No interest free days apply when you have a balance transfer.
  • Collect flybuys points when doing your everyday grocery shopping and get $10 off your Coles supermarket shop instantly at the checkout when you redeem 2,000 flybuys points.

What not to like:

• $99 annual fee
  • Each time you make a payment to your account at Australia Post outlets by cash, cheque or EFTPOS, you'll have to pay a $2.25 over-the-counter transaction fee.

What are my other options if I want a Coles Mastercard, but this isn't for me?

Coles Rewards Mastercard
CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards, Balance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeMastercard
BenefitsNo Foreign Transaction Fee
Rewards Programflybuys and Velocity Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 2 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 2 flybuys points per $1 on eligible transactions

• 3 points per $1 spent at popular flybuys partners

• Convert your flybuys points into Velocity Points. (Maximum 138,000 flybuys points to 60,030 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points per calendar year)

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay and Samsung Pay
Annual Fee$99 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$5
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate19.99% p.a.
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 6 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.

Coles Rewards Mastercard

Valuable and a handy card to have with rewards build up.
Most best feature is that no transfer fees apply when you use it during overseas trips.
The purchase alert's receive during some purchases are also a valuable tip

Card Start DateAugust 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Overseas/Travel

Card is okay due to flybuys BUT

Card is okay due to flybuys BUT and this is important, their system is a complete and utter failure.

Be prepared to have to call multiple times to fix issues!

Card Start DateJanuary 2017
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Love this card and points, call centre is annoying

I've had the Coles Reward Mastercard for a few years now and use it to buy everything. As someone who puts everything on credit card and pays it off in full each month it works well, giving me flybuys points for no cost. It might not be worth as much for someone who doesn't pay off their closing balance. Recently I was upgraded to the Platinum version, which was exciting, however doesn't add any value points wise. Since upgrading the call centre will not stop calling, asking me to go on a payment plan to pay off my closing balance which is getting frustrating. My family and I are about to travel overseas so having no international transaction fees will be amazing. The app is really good, would be better if you could use it with Google Pay, though Apple pay has just started which works for my wife. Would definitely reccommend this card for people who shop at COLES using Flybuys dollars.

Card Start DateJune 2016
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Spend & Earn at the same time

I have been using Coles rewards MasterCard for last 2 years. Having linked my flybuys to my credit card is a great opportunity to earn more points every time I spend or pay using my credit card. I have also set up direct debit repayment and reminders before my due date which helps.

Card Start DateApril 2017
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Great credit card - call centre could be better.

I have had a Coles Rewards MasterCard for a few years now, and was recently upgraded to the Platinum.
- Earning loads of points is easy. I don't buy anything using other payment methods.
- Love that they acknowledge my loyalty and allow overdraws without charging me fees.
- Easy to use overseas.

The only drawback is the call centre, it's hard to get through to someone but when I do, they've been helpful.

Will be using for years to come.

I only use this card

I use this card for everything. It gives 2 flybuys points for every dollar spent on it, that's every purchase not just shopping at Coles. I accumulate points way faster since using it.

I use the phone app to manage the card and transfer the balance via bpay on my bank's app.

I redeem the points through the flybuys app, so the whole thing is easy to manage. Great credit card, it's definitely worth using.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

The customer services asked me same questions for the credit limit increase request. Poor customer service. Lodged the complain with their manager, even the manager didn’t call back as per promised.

Card Start DateFebruary 2014

Packed with goodies

Credit card limit is very generous with extra beneficial options to use credit balance in full, easy to transfer balance, generous rewards, easy to redeem and accumulate points, constant promotions.

Application Process

Good rewards card terrible customer service and fraud management services

This card has provided us with great discounts on our grocery shopping - but the customer service shocking they can’t do anything correctly first time!

We recently had a fraud alert on our card and rather than stopping the card 24 hours after the event a message with no details other than hold music left on my MessageBank. Same again 4 days later - this time I attempted to track down the source when I did I requested a stop on the card which they failed to do.

Prior to Citibank takeover it was great but in the last 2 years service continues to decline at this point I think I will go without rewards and go elsewhere where security has a higher priority.

The app frequently misses transactions so not a reliable way to track activity on your card. It’s also difficult to keep track of payments - there is plenty of room for improvement but they don’t care.

Card Start DateSeptember 2015
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

The best card with the rewards points

I have this Coles Rewards MasterCard from last 6 years and must say it is one of the best credit cards I have. With an excellent rewards program and the best mobile app, I have no hesitation to recommend to anyone who is sick of big fours. Yes, this card has got annual fees but the amount you get from this card through rewards points are 3 times to what you pay in annual fees if this is your main credit card.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

The $10 rewards are so fast to get

We do basic grocery shop at Coles weekly not a big shopping btw, but the points collected is fast almost every 2 months we got $10 off offers when paying at Coles

Card Start DateApril 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Not just your average credit card

I have had my Coles credit card for over 5 years. I use my card every day for everything. It is easy to use, accepted everywhere, and I accumulate reward points with every transaction. I am also able to connect my coles insurance, and transactions made on eBay to my card, allowing me to collect even more points. The only thing I’m not excited about, is the annual fee, which has increased a couple of times since I first applied for the card. Otherwise it is fantastic!

Low Annual Fee with almost 1% cashback in terms of flybuys points

This mastercard is very good in terms of collecting the flybuys points. If you shop regularly with the flybuys partners then you get additional points. For example - shopping on ebay gives you one point for every 2 dollars spent. Shopping at coles gives you 1 points for every dollar spent on this card plus additional one points for every dollars if you scan your flybuys card. It saves you from carrying the flybuys card as the bardcode for flybuys membership no is available at the back of the card.

Card Start DateJanuary 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

very prompt service

I have been using this card for a lone time and the rates are low compared to other cards.very good at flybuy points accumilation.I love using this card for all the purchases..

Card Start DateJuly 2001
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

This was great then they took away free delivery

I used this card for a year and found the free Coles delivery to be a great benefit. They took this benefit away. Now the card costs $99 / year for minimal return. You get a reasonable return on FlyBuys (but less than my Qantas card) and it is fee free for ForEx spend. Otherwise, it is now not good value.

Card Start DateFebruary 2018
Main Point of ContactOnline

Good promo special for credit card

I joined purely because they had a good reward promo for new signups ($100 cash back on a Coles shop). They followed through with the promotion so no complaints from me. You also get instant Flybuys redemption at the check out when you have the Coles Rewards Mastercard which is an added bonus as it saves you from having to go into the App or online to redeem your flybuys.

Card Start DateMarch 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Pretty decent offer, quick to generate FlyBuys points but a bit hard to deal with Customer Service

Have had the card for almost 2 years. No issues whatsoever, but a bit disappointing fact that the Coles free delivery on orders above 100$ when you pay with the card got recently revoked. Otherwise easy to use, love the mobile app that is extremely user friendly and reliable. Used in New Zealand on a business trip too and all was fine! Customer support is somewhat hard to deal with though, not willing to walk the extra mile and try to understand a problem in depth. But definitely not a deal breaker, at least for the moment. Very easy to redeem points via the Flybuys website and so quick to accumulate enough points and save a great deal of cash. Bottom line I am happy with it and would recommend the card wholeheartedly.

Card Start DateJuly 2017
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Love it

I got it mainly to keep my groceries and household expenses separate. Love the fact that the Coles rewards card is integrated into one card. Able to be used anywhere. I hear that there is no transaction fees when used overseas. Easy to make payments to and an handy app that shows you your balance in real time.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Good card but expensive yearly fee

The card itself is good but the yearly fee is expensive, it used to be free but it is no longer free. Good thing is this card related to flybuys and double the point if you pay yearly.

Card Start DateJanuary 2017
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

The many flybuys $10 vouchers outweighs the annual fee!

- Fair exchange rate when used overseas. Very safe and has not had any stolen details while travelling. No exchange fees
- I didn't do a balance transfer for this card but I know they offer it at a very competitive rate!
- The $10 flybuys voucher for every 2000 points are super easy to earn and redeem when u pay bills etc and earn Double points

Card Start DateFebruary 2017