Commonwealth Bank Awards

See the Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Pros

• Entry-level credit limit of $500 minimum

• Can earn either Commbank Awards points or Qantas Frequent Flyer points

Cons

• High Balance Transfer Rate (5.99%)

• Awards points earn rate capped at 50,000 per annum

• Qantas points earn rate capped at 12,000 per annum

• Switching to Qantas points program incurs an additional $30 annual fee

CategoryBalance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
24-Hour Phone Contact No
Online Live Chat Yes
Card TypeMastercard
Minimum Credit Limit $500
Additional Cardholder Fee $10 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2%
Rewards ProgramCommBank Awards
Points Earn Rate 1 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 1 point per $1 spent using your Mastercard

This is capped at 50,000 points per year.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate20.24% p.a.
Cash Advance Fee3%
Late Payment Fee$20
Annual Fee$59 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$3
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.24% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive 30,000 Bonus Awards Points when you apply by 31 October and spend $2,000 by 31 January 2020.
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 5 months
Balance Transfer Rate 5.99% p.a.
Release dateJun 2007

Good card for Lots if Rewards

My Commonwealth Bank Rewards card is easy to use. I have had this card for many years. All you need to do is pay for anything every time you shop and watch your points accumulate on your card. These points are great for all sorts of rewards and are very handy when you want to redeem for different things. I particularly like to redeem supermarket vouchers like Coles and Woolies. These rewards are also handy for special occasions like Birthdays and Christmas. The supermarket vouchers are available straight away via e-gift cards. Other rewards such as electrical, outdoors and more generally take between 2-4 weeks to arrive depending on their availability and where they are coming from.

Love CBA standard Visa

How good are CBA ... they send me a text three days before my payment is due reminding me to pay on time and if that is not enough I have been informed that they have waived the annual fee this year. No complaint from me. And I don't even have a CBA bank account.

Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Special Purchases

This is my everyday credit card

Partner and I have 2 COMBANK Mastercard Diamond cards on the one account with a large limit. I pay all bills and spend about $5,000 per month, converting all award points to QANTAS. After 5 years I have accumulated enough Qantas Points to buy 2 around the world business class tickets, mostly as a result of this card. I did not transfer any balance to this card but very satisfied with the rewards and the ease of transfer to QANTAS. I pay card off in full every month. The NETBANK App and website are very easy to use.

Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Really reliable

Commonwealth Bank has been the most reliable bank. The app is very easy to use and they are very good at letting you know when the app will be down. The Mastercard has some good benefits as well.

Card Start DateApril 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Been with Combank for over 20 years (and I'm only 29)

I am very satisfied with my com bank cards, the credit cards are easy to use (maybe a little too easy) but also easy to pay off and with the option to transfer between accounts with the app makes it a lot easier!

Card Start DateJuly 2017
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Does what it is meant to.

Have used this card for many years and it just works. I have had to get a chargeback done once, due to problems with a dishonest business and it almost worked properly. Qantas points have been halved in last couple of years and interest rates still very high.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Easy to use, with great awards system!

I have had a Commonwealth Bank Awards Credit Card for over 6 years. It has been very easy to use within Australia and also overseas. I have used it multiple times overseas and never had any issues. Very easy to see your available balance and make payments to the card via netbank and online banking. I mostly used the cash bank for my awards from the card, which I really liked that I could use it towards the purchases made on the card. It was easy to redeem points, as each purchase earns you points. Redeeming the points was always a fast and easy process to follow. The yearly fees on the card werent bad compared to what other banks are offering. Would highly recommend this product.

Card Start DateFebruary 2013
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

35 years with my CBA Credit Card :o)

No problems using my credit card in Indonesia or New Zealand :o)
Very easy to transfer money into this credit card from my other accounts
Good reward system - I love the petrol/fuel cards!

September 4th 2019 Update: Worry-free Transactions with my Commonwealth Bank MasterCard

I've banked with the Commonwealth for 40 years!! I highly recommend their MasterCard credit card as this Bank take honesty and security seriously. They are right up there with their services on fraud and illegal users gaining access and have helped me out on several occasions when my card has been accessed - which was a godsend as it was them who contacted me within minutes of the transaction taking place. Thank you Commonwealth Bank credit card staff!!

Card Start DateDecember 2016
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Easy to use, great protection options.

have had this card for a few decades, the best bit is being able to control how it is used via netbank, i can turn tap on and off, i can disable international payments in store and online, if anything looks fishy they call me up to ask, I pay the whole balance off every month so don't have interest charges, overall happy with the service.

Worth it

I am glad I obtained this. This bank provides the best customer service. It's easy to do transfers, provides benefits such as no interest on purchase and annual fee waive off. I will continue to use this product.

Card Start DateJuly 2019
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Special Purchases

Very good bank card

The only bank I'd use as customer service is really good and available for 24 hours. Rewards points aren't the best and I wish it could be better, transaction may sometimes sit at the pending section for a couple days before its cleared

Card Start DateNovember 2018

Easy to use

Easy to apply, only took less than a week to complete the application. It also can be used when you travelling overseas, but be aware of the administration fees and currency rates.

Card Start DateOctober 2018

good service!

very very easy to use especially with the phone app which tells you exactly what you bought and when from notifications. The customer support is also very professional when it came to fixing problems.

Card Start DateFebruary 2019

RELIABLE!

No issue with the card itself. Easy to transfer and check balance. CommBank always update their software and banking apps so it is secure and ready to go. More rewards would be good.

Reliable

I have used it in several other countries, and found it accepted with no issues. The rewards are satisfactory and we use the gold card for overseas travel insurance, which has saved us a lot of money, when compared to most other travel insurance options. Redeeming points is mostly done, but sometimes the product has taken a long time to be delivered.

Good deal - for me

I have a Diamond Card which fortunately I do not have to pay for (free through an affinity program). The travel insurance feature is excellent and provides significant savings. The rewards feature is satisfactory as we use our cards a lot. I now take my rewards as gift cards for supermarkets. Again I extract good value from this card feature. The big negative is the foreign transaction fee on credit card transactions overseas so I have a secondary card from another bank which I use overseas to avoid these foreign transactions fees. I have always had good service when problems arise and would recommend this card if you can get a deal to avoid annual fees.

Great customer service

I've been using CBA for several years and haven't has any problems. Have used card when travelling overseas without issue. The rewards side of things is not that great but good to receive something for nothing. Easy to redeem points.

Card Start DateMarch 2018

Can't fault

Have been very pleased with this card have had no trouble overseas the card has always worked with no hiccups my husband and I would recommend this card. We have never had any trouble wherever we have used it Thankyou

Card Start DateMay 2005
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Have been with bank for years

Don’t use much mainly for online purchases and hotel bookings .Doesnt earn any points but have all my a/cs with this bank so find it easier to have it there

Card Start DateJanuary 1998
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping

Low rate Excellent reliability

Quite happy with this card as it has very good reward program. I used in Europe and Asian trips and some of purchasing done on that never had any issue. Highly recommend based on my 10 year with this card.