Compass Building Inspections

Compass Building Inspections

See the Best Home Inspection Companies in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Amazing Experience with Compass for Building & Pest

I had a very positive experience with Michael and the team. Turned up on time, communicated everything in terms I could understand and were a pleasure to deal with. Very knowledgeable and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Better not to get pre-purchase inspection than to get these guys

I can't recommend based on our experience. We found Compass' report to be incredibly generic and factually inaccurate to the point it was actually offensive how little effort they put in. The huge list of terms and conditions should have been a red flag - ie. they don't check above a small height, won't actually go up into roof space, say there's inconclusive evidence of termites to cover their tracks. No use at all, very disappointing to feel conned

BEST BUILDING AND PEST COMPANY

I was recommended Compass Building and Pest for my investment property a few years ago. Since then we have purchased other properties and never hesitated who we would use other then Compass.... Peter and his very experienced professional team have always been very thorough with every property they have inspected. Answered any questions and always followed up after inspections. Very reputable in every way..... Administration staff were also very helpful lovely and accomodating with making appointments for inspections... Will use Compass building and Pest every time ..... highly regarded and recommended
Letitia

Fantastic staff and service

I have used Compass a number of times, mainly for pest control and also a home build & pest report. The boys were professional & patient in answering all my questions (of which there were many!) throughout the inspection and ensuring that the report provided met the requirements. The pest control side has always been thorough, the guys are professional, well spoken and punctual. I constantly recommend them to people for all aspects.

Great service - a fantastic team and super reliable

I'm a local Brisbane Buyer's Agent and I use the team from Compass religiously when buying property for my clients. In the 3 years I have been buying in Brisbane, Compass have been fantastic to work with. I couldn't recommend them more.

Do not waste your money with this company

We used Compass to conduct a Building and Pest inspection pre purchase of a property in Ipswich. We were unable to be present at the inspection and feel that perhaps we were taken advantage of. The report seemed very generic, tick box style and was factually incorrect in several sections - there was no clothesline present, however it was ticked that there was. There was no shower over the bath in the ensuite, but it was ticked that there was. I phoned the inspector the next day to question and he couldn't even remember the house he inspected. So now we are post purchase, our tenants move in and it is discovered that the one piece shower base is severely and obviously cracked and leaking into the underfloor - also very obvious. This issue was not mentioned in the report. I would highly doubt the shower was even opened and checked. We are now up for thousands to repair...and this should absolutely have been noted on the building report, as it is very clear obvious damage easily noticeable to a thorough and professional building inspector. Disgusted by this company who claim to be building inspectors, but seems more like easy money for sub standard inspection company.

Disgraceful Service & Manager

We had Compass do our original building & pest inspection prior to buying our north Brisbane home 12 months ago - that went fine. We then arranged for them to return in Feb. 2015 to spot treat a large active termite nest in the middle of our 20m wooden retainer wall. The wall is only 5m from the house so we were keen to have it done properly.

The inspector applied the Termidor spot treatment to the actual nest but also along the length of the wooden retainer wall for added reassurance. Unfortunately it was done just before the cyclone hit. I had already paid but was concerned the Termidor treatment was washed away with all the downpour. So when I expressed concern about this the manager refused to re-spray it. Needless to say he was never open minded about it nor accommodating nor with a professional and courteous manner (think his name was [name removed]?). A disgrace to be perfectly honest in terms of customer service. He then tried to quote the single and only USA case study that "proved Termidor effectiveness" in water. Really?? Anyway I persisted and said as an unimpressed customer who'd used their services in the past and hope to do so in the future I couldn't see how the treatment would have remained effective. He very begrudgingly agreed before slamming down the phone. Fantastic customer service.

Sensing that he was clearly reluctant to do as agreed I placed some branches very obviously along the treatment pathway they had treated before - as I wouldn't be home when they next called I figured if they did attend as agreed then they would need to disturb the branches I carefully placed in their path, I then I would be sure that they had returned. After they said they had returned I noticed that the branches were (surprise) undisturbed. I was not impressed at their dishonesty.

And sure enough about 5 months later another termite nest appeared along the treatment pathway - clearly showing the ineffective treatment or absence of treatment by Compass. Whilst no one can guarantee termite free acreage I am assured by other inspectors that, that particular piece of treated wood should not have had another nest spring up within a mere few months.

I dreaded the managers reaction but rang him nevertheless and explained the story. As expected he tried denying that was even possible(!). Seriously. Then came up with loads of excuses such as "well no one can guarantee your whole plot is safe" - despite explaining we weren't talking about the yard in general but the EXACT spot that had been treated 5 months previously with Termidor. Again he was very rude and unprofessional. It wasn't until the very end of the 20 minute conversation that he suggested they return to respray it but he made me fight for even that to the bitter end. Needless to say I was totally fed up with his disgraceful attitude and service by that point that I told him I didn't want Compass at my home as I didn't trust them.

I've now used a different company and will tell all my family and friends to steer clear of Compass. Amazing to think that just a little bit of respect and customer service would have diffused this completely at the start. Unfortunately they have shown repeatedly that they are obviously incapable of that.