Maytronics Dolphin M500

Maytronics Dolphin M500

M500 Liberty and M500

Works well when it actually runs

Bought the M5 in December 2014 (paid over $2k).
Was working brilliantly and very happy with how it cleaned the pool.
Then
- In the first year the tread came off a number of times and had to go back to be refitted.
- In the second and third years it stopped dead a number of times. It would look to be operating at the control box, but the device would not move in the pool. A few times it would just start working again after a couple of days and taking it back they found nothing wrong with it. Then it stopped completely and twice it had the power cable replaced by the manufacturer.
- 3 years and 2 months after purchasing it, (2 months outside the standard warranty) it stopped again with the same symptoms it had each previous time. At this stage I paid for the cable and motor unit cover to be replaced again.
- less than 12 months from the previous repair it breaks down again with the same symptoms. Even though the repairs came with 12 months warranty I'm told it's different components and needs $500 worth of repairs.

I won't be paying that amount for repairing a device that breaks down consistently, especially one that is a premium model to start with. My pool has an automated chlorinator and is always kept at the right levels of operation. The cleaner doesn't sit in the pool all day everyday. There must have some sort of fundamental flaw in the one I purchased and I've had no luck when discussing this with the manufacturer.
After referring several friends to buy the same device previously, I can't anymore.

Purchased in December 2014 for $2,100.00.

Pool Size Average

THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY

I have had nothing but trouble with this cleaner, 11 visits to pool shop to have it repaired over 5 years, only to be told that nothing was wrong with it or user error! I mean come on you put the cleaner in the pool and press start right! New motor, new bearings twice, changed the cable, power supply and on the control panel, remote unit did not even bother with that and finally a motherboard and now I am told that it to upgrade to the newer. NO thanks Maytronics the contempt and lack of empathy shown by you and your agent is outrageous and I will never send anymore of my hard earned money your way again.

Purchased in September 2014 for $1,950.00.

Pool Size Average
Wall and Step Cleaning
Hi Peter. We are sorry to hear that you have had this experience with your Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner. We would like to discuss these concerns raised with you. Could you please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com at your earliest convenience.

very unreliable not happy

never happy with its performance and it stop working just after the warranty ran out and then cost me $450 to get it fixed my last cleaner lasted 8 years .Seems like the biggest problem with the dolphin cleaner is they only last about 3 years not good enough for such an expensive product.

Purchased in December 2015 for $1,750.00.

Pool Size Large
Wall and Step Cleaning

Suggest there's better value elsewhere.

We purchased our Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 for $2499 on 13/11/2013 after being assured it was the best robot cleaner -- with 36 month warranty. Worked well till 9/05/17 when it had to be fitted with a new motherboard cost $398 after a discount due to my complaining that such an expensive item should have lasted longer. In Dec 2018 it stopped working again. Have just received quote for repairs (note how long it has taken for quote to be given - 2 months). Quote is around $1100. Needs new motor, etc etc. Very disappointed with the reliability of this product. And the pool shop suggests we buy another of the same brand!!

Date PurchasedNov 2013
Hi June. Please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com and we will look into this with you to understand what is happening with your robot.Contacted Maytronics as suggested above. Gave us a good hearing and suggested they would look into the repairs. Found out repairer warranty only lasts for 2 months so decided to abandon repairs and buy new. Did hours of research and seems all brands behave similarly re reliability. Our local pool shop assured us that Maytronics is the better of the brands they sell, so as they gave us a good deal, (we'll cross our fingers and hope this one lasts longer) we're now the proud?? possessors of an X30.

M500

I purchased a home that came with the dolphin m500 it switches off after 5 minutes of use can someone please help me I’m in Sydney Australia. Remote is all damaged on inside. Need new remote also. Will it cost a fortune to repair replace items on this thing. Also what would people recommend for a pebble Crete pool 65000litres

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Danial, When a robot moves for a short time and then stops, it could be due to the following: -A high pH level can prohibit the unit from climbing as the pool surface will become slippery. We recommend having this checked and the pool balanced, if it has not been done so. -The impeller (which resembles a fan on the top of the unit) can be tangled with leaves, hair, etc. Take off the impeller cover and examine with the unit off and disconnected from power. -Debris or an object can be stuck in the tracks and/or rollers. With the unit off, turn it on its back and roll the brushes with your hands. You may feel resistance if there is something stuck. If you cannot roll the brushes to free the obstruction, you can take the side plates off the unit and inspect the full tracks and rollers. Try the troubleshooting steps below: 1. Turn the unit off 2. Remove from the pool 3. Turn the unit upside down (brushes facing the sky) 4. Try to manually turn the wheels… do they turn? 5. Do you hear / see: -Clicking noise? Something may be blocking the drive system—check for any obstructions -Check the impeller (fan type device on top of unit) and remove any debris Please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com if the above does not rectify what you are experiencing and we will do our best to assist you.

Not a reliable product

Purchased our M-500 two months ago based on the product claiming to clean the pool more efficiently and the product operating on low voltage. There are no trees near our pool, so the Dolphin is simply used to scrub the pool liner surface.

Trouble immediately out of the box with difficulty pairing the Dolphin to my Samsung phone. Additionally, within two months after purchaee, the M-500 does not operate and I already need to take the product in for repair. I should have known that the M-500 is discontinued.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Carl, very sorry to hear of your initial experience with the M500. You are covered by an industry leading warranty for this machine. This is a very reliable robot, it is not a discontinued product line. We train all our dealers and provide them diagnostic equipment to give you the best local support. However, should you need our support, please call Maytronics on 1300 693 657.While it was disappointing to have our Dolphin not operate, Maytronics stood by their warranty. Our issue was that the umbilical cable failed. Maytronics immediately UPS rushed a replacement cable and our Dolphin is up and running again. Thank you!Hi Carl, thanks for the update glad to hear your Dolphin is going well.

Thanks for the reviews

Reading all the reviews, it looks like the older models were not that flash. Looks like the 2017 model is a much better system then the predecessor, its hard for a product to pull up after getting bad reviews so the new model must be good. Everyone seams happy with it so I am going out to get one. keep you posted.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Amazing

This cleaner is fantastic! I have owned the M500 since last Summer and havent had any complaints. It cleans the walls and floor and filters the pool water at the same time. I can go on Holidays and set the timer to clean my pool every three days and when I come home the pool is clean.
I highly recommend this cleaner to anyone.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

3 year lifespan, minimal support.

We purchased a m500 supreme in April 2015 from our pool installer. It unfortunately stopped working a week ago with no display or powering up of the control/power box. So just outside the three year warranty our $2500 pool cleaner is now a pool anchor. Maytronics replied to an email with the advice that we can buy a new one and supplied a local suppliers address. Not an option I’d consider at the moment. While the pool cleaner worked well in the main, I can’t recommend the product due to the short lifespan vs cost. I wish I had done my usual degree of due diligence and read reviews on this and other sites. Considering the ratings, our money would have been spent elsewhere. So my review gets one star only due to minimal interest in support from the manufacturer and a lifespan far below my expectations.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
We pride ourselves on after sales service and have the most competitive spare parts in the industry. Will send a private message for further details on your repair.

Love my M500

I purchased the M500 just after we installed the pool last year in August (2017). I used it in the initial cleaning after the pool was turned over to us and all the way through the winter season as I wanted to be able to enjoy the pool.

Can't imagine not having this thing to help me with pool maintenance!!!

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Thanks for your review Rick.

Not worth the money

We have quite a few trees surrounding our property so we bit the bullet and bought the most expensive pool cleaner on the market to make our life easier. At $2700 in Feb 2014 it was an expensive investment and I admit had high expectations! We had a dolphin rep come to the house and recommend the right dolphin for us and assured our situation would easily be handled by the pool cleaner. Fast forward four years and we’ve had the dolphin in to the pool shop numerous times and within weeks going back to slow inefficient service of the pool, avoidance of leafy spots and inability to pick up some leaves etc. Since out of warranty the dolphin has been in for repair just before Xmas at the cost of $460 to repair and now again only 6 weeks later needing another repair of over $400. We’ve been recommended to replace rather than continuing to repair a lame duck. Very disappointed.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
We are sorry to hear you’re not completely satisfied with your Dolphin. We at Maytronics strive for this with every robot we produce, hence the 3-year bumper to bumper warranty on your Dolphin. This is unmatched in the pool industry today. Our spare parts are also the lowest in the industry compared to other makes. Most customer have a great experience with this product. If you would like further support, please call us on 1300 693 657.

Unbloody believable

Best thing I've ever spent money on. Chucked my dolphin in my unused pool of 5 years before I went out for lunch, and when I got back half an hour later, the murky black water was sparkling clean, the branches had gone, my lawn was mowed, and even the washing had been hung out. Highly recommend

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Best pool cleaner on the market

A little pricey, but worth every cent. Fully programmable via Bluetooth. Does not require the pool pump to be operational, hence saving a lot of money. Its computer system 'learns' and maps the pool Cleans unbelievable well and easy to clean the filters.
Highly recommended. Beats any other pool cleaner on the market.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Does a great job

My Dolpin has served me well for a long time now. Far superior to the crawly cleaners that get stuck on everything and clean small sections of the pool.

I recommend the Dolpin. It is expensive initially but mine has lasted a long time. It also polishes the walls and floor as it cleans.

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Worst Purchase Ever

Have had a Dolphin M5 for just over 3 years. I can't think of a worse experience with anything else I have ever bought. I was happy to pay the ridiculously inflated price thinking I would get a good quality machine with some longevity but alas this is far from my reality and it seems the same for many others. When it's working it does a good job of keeping the pool clean. The major issue is reliability and mine has been back for repairs 2 or 3 times each year during the warranty period. Maytronics have fixed it each time in a fairly speedy fashion. Out of warranty Maytronics do not themselves provide a repair service ... instead they have some pool shops that are 'approved' repairers but I doubt their standard of workmanship or training/expertise levels. I will not be buying a dolphin again.

Date PurchasedNov 2014
Hi Denis, we train our service agents thoroughly for quick turn around, quality work and great customer service. They are equipped with our service equipment and are just as trained (in some cases they've undertaken more training) as Maytronics staff. Please call us on 1300 693 657 and we will definitely help you out anytime.Easy to say that but this is not my experience. Dolphin died mid November-it was still just under warranty but though initially refused was repaired under warranty by Maytronics. Worked for 2 weeks after that repair & then broke down again in early December . ( Now out of warranty). Taken to shop in early December ( now out of warranty). Shop 'repaired' it ($180 paid) but bringing it home it did not work so taken straight back to shop pre-Christmas. Still remains at shop 3 weeks plus after initially taking it there. They say they are waiting for help from Maytronics. In fairness the multiple breakdowns during the warranty period were fixed in a timely fashion but first repair just out of warranty has been a rather frustrating exercise & not over yet.Denis, we want to help you, would you mind emailing us on infoau@maytronics.com with details of the dealer. Want to follow up with them as well to see why it is taking such a long time.

This has cost me a lot of money in repairs and replacement parts

Purchased with new fiberglass pool in July 2011. Just outside 3 years warranty period, summer of 2014, required major service costing $1000. 1 year later, 2015, had to replace the power console, cost $300. The next year, 2016, I had to buy replacement filter cartridge screens $150. On each occasion I dealt with my local dealer who supplied the pool and the cleaner. This summer, 2017, I had to replace all the roller bearings and the active brush assembly at a cost of $300 but ordered the parts and did the repair myself. It worked effectively for 2 months but now when I switch it on, it runs for a few seconds then stops. No blockages in the rollers or tracks, I've taken it apart and put it back together but it appears the problem is with the motor, which is not serviceable apparently. Looks like I need a replacement motor at a further cost of about $1200.

Original purchase price was $2500 and has cost $1750 inside six years with another $1200 imminent. THis has not been a cost effective investment for the maintenance of my pool and I don't trust it's reliability anymore.

I've been happy with it when it's worked properly but found it cumbersome to remove from the water as it's quite heavy. The maintenance costs have taken the gloss off it's otherwise good functionality.

Update as of 5/1/18. I contacted Maytronics Australia NSW office on 19/12/18 and they referred me to "Mr Dolphin" located in Lidcombe NSW. I was provided with a mobile contact and I was able to speak to the man himself, Boaz. I explained my problem and he gave me some options to consider. I sent him the motor unti with power lead attached together with a brief note and he said he'd inspect it and get back to me the following week. I forwarded the unit on 28/12 and he rang me the day following New Year's Day. He'd inspected it, found the problem and replaced one of the drive motors and asked if I'd like to go ahead with the quote for repairs which was $250. I agreed, paid the invoice online plus $38 freight and had it back on 3Jan.

I cannot speak highly enough of the personal and efficient service Boaz provided. He was personally involved in the development of robotic technology and knows Dolphin cleaners inside and out. He can be locted online here https://www.mrdolphin.com.au and he answers the phone personally which means you're talking directly to the technician who'll be working on your problem unit.

Date PurchasedJul 2011
Hi Frank, at Maytronics strive for excellent customer satisfaction with every robot we produce. We have a philosophy to keep our spare parts for robotic repairs as low as possible to ensure long term customer satisfaction for our product. Very happy to hear that Boaz was able to help you.

You won't be disappointed

We love the Dolphin M500. It cleans like no other. We used to have a different brand robot cleaner that wasn't the best. On advice from our friends who can't speak highly enough of theirs, we bought the M500 and haven't looked. Would gladly recommend it to anyone to give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Lack of durability

The cleaner is approximately 4 years old. Spent $840 in 2016 on power supply and needs another $770 to replace the motor.
Will be looking for a cleaner that's more durable.
At purchase of $2650, Repair $840 & $772 in 4 years it's way too expensive for the job it does.

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Hi Stormy, We are sorry to hear you’re not completely satisfied with your Dolphin. We at Maytronics strive for this with every robot we produce. We would love to connect with you to see if there is any thing we can do to help and understand your experience. please call us on 1300 693 657 so we can help.

Great at start - will not last 4 years!

Great for first few months - better than suction cleaners. Two early visits back to dealer under warranty as it did not work (should have been replaced instead of repaired). By 3rd year, mainly cleaned the deep end & never climbed walls beyond first 30cm. At just over 3and1/2 years, just circled within 1 metre diameter. Out of warranty and $950 to fix. Buying another robot instead (non-Maytronics, of course!!!) Essentially a disposable cleaner after 3-4 years at cost of approx $800/year... (Are there any positive reviews of more than 3 stars for this expensive unit after 3 or more years of use?)

Date PurchasedSep 2014
HI DeniseK, we love to help you were we can. We will send you a private message to see how we can help.

Died after warranty ran out - $790 to repair!!!!!

Our Dolphin has died on us. And just after the warranty ran out. Sent it to the pool shop where we bought it from - $790 to repair!!! No way am I spending this amount only for it to die again. Looking at buying another pool cleaner. Looks like the Davey cleaner is much much cheaper and has the same 3 year warranty.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Hi David K, sorry to hear about your Liberty. We will send you a private message to connect to see if there is anything we can do to help.

The weekly timer no longer functions. When it gets to the set time it waits one minute without starting up then says it will turn on the next day at that time. When I tell it via the app to turn on it will. Just the timer function won't work. It used to work for a few weeks. This was the main reason I purchased this unit.
Hi Timothy. Could you please contact us on 1300 693 657 option 2 at your earliest convenience? We will then be able to further discuss what is happening with your robot and its weekly timer function.

Hi, I have purchased replacement tracks for my dolphin supreme M5 which had to come off a M500 on display in the pool shop. My model was purchased in 2012. Even allowing for stretching, it is impossible to fit the new ones. Are these tracks the same length? Thanks for any confirmation, Barry
Hi Barry, The track on a display unit is shorter than a usual track and is not suited for normal use. This is why it will not fit onto your Supreme M5. We recommend purchasing a new track as this will fit your robot. Please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com for further assistance

Hi, have completed a. quick test and one side does not run one direction but runs for the 10 secs the other way, the other side all good. Does this mean that the circuit board may have a fault? The reason I ask is when the unit is in the pool after a period of time the unit just turns in one direction in circles as the crawler on the faulty side is not turning. the unit is a Supreme M5 4 years old. Thanks Steve
Reason for this is with time the holders of the underneath white brush getting worn off. Easy Test is try rotating the brushes by hand manually and they should rotate. If they are not rotating freely you got a problem them. Call the help line and they will help you. When this happened to mine I called them and they sent the replacement parts which I replaced myself as it was easy. Best of luck......Hi Steve, Please contact us on 1300 693 657 or at customercareau@maytronics.com so that we can gather further information and understand more in depth what you are experiencing. We will then do our best to assist you. Thank you.

Similar listings