Dulux 1Step Oil Based Primer, Sealer & Undercoat

Dulux 1Step Oil Based Primer, Sealer & Undercoat

Exceptional Product

We have just painted an old weatherboard home. After completely removing previous paint we sanded & sealed with this product. We can not recommend it enough.- it has sealed well, which we need against Taasie winters. The old wooden windows are really good - its self leveling ability was best noted with them. The only negative was that it is hard work to apply due to its consistency.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

If it was possible to give a lower score I would

- Does not seal treated timber at all.
- Dulux do not provide a suitable spec sheet or list of known issues on their website
- Completely ruined the possibility of getting our pergola built for Christmas / Christmas plans ruined.

Purchased this "sealer" to use on treated timber which was being used on my pergola.
Originally we used the acrylic version as we were told this would be fine from both Bunnings and a Dulux rep.
Timber was purchased along with the sealer and taken home. Timber was prepped as we have with a number of other projects and to the spec of their prep instructions on the can and the website. Sand, wipe clean, seal, paint.

After applying the top coat it was left over night in my garage and placed outside the next day. By mid morning it was completely bubbled / ruined. The treatment from the timber had leaked through 3 coats of sealer.

Dulux wanted nothing to do with it, their support consisted of coming up with as many excuses as possible;
- wasnt prepped right - even though the prep was completed to their instructions
- dulux recommend the timber should be weather for 2 weeks before use - does not say that on any of the cans nor the website.
- its a fault in the timber, you should have consulted the spec sheet of the timber first - says water based is fine but to check with manufacturer of the sealer... refer to dulux' pathetic website and spec sheet
https://www.dulux.com.au/products/36089141 http://www.duspec.com.au/duspec/file/AUDD1227.pdf
- dulux recommend using oil based for treated timbers - no they dont. doesnt say that anywhere and when we asked 2 reps who happened to be at bunnings on different occassions they both said acrylic is fine
- One of their own support staff said he preferred Wattyls products... go figure.

They did not want a bar of anything I had to say. So we tried the oil based, that THEY recommended. Exact same problem.
Raised a ticket with their useless "Customer Support" team, no response in almost 2 weeks to the ticket.
My tradie has started reaching out to his client base and every other Tradie he knows to avoid using this and any other Dulux products as have I.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Niko, We understand your frustration with your project and we want to help. We are treating your case as a priority. To date we have sent our Dulux representatives to your home to better understand the issue, and your case manager is analysing the samples to understand what is the issue and how we can get the results you are after. We appreciate your patience on this, and if you require any further updates please contact us on 132525 and quote your customer number 33165. The Dulux TeamIt's now 2 weeks since you posted this response and still nothing. This is after being told the samples were being labelled "priority". Taking time of the year out of it, as I am pretty sure you dont shut a large operation down for long periods of time, I would hate to see something that has not been given priority. Christmas MISSED... New years MISSED... Got sick of looking at the timber taking up space in my garage, this timber thats sat and weathered for over a month not to mention stamped well over a year ago that it was treated and prepped following your guides and beyond and sat "curing" in my garage for 3 weeks with the top coat on and guess what??? THE SAME &^*%*&^ HAPPENED! This is a &^$*&% joke, but not one that I find particularly amusing. Just got off a call from one of your staff David... apparently Mel should have some results tomorrow and will call me back? Well isn't that amazing timing. What a coincidence after no response from you at all for 2 weeks that results are going to be ready tomorrow the day after I HAVE TO CALL YOU.Almost 2 more weeks on... still waiting for those "lab" results. So while I have been waiting I did my own tests using a much cheaper competitors product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOeHuSZ71wQ

Hi, Can I use 1 step prep undercoat to paint over existing exterior stain timber wall paneling and finished with 2 coats weathershield low sheen?
Good morning, and thank you for taking the time to contact us with your query! We’d love to help! Please give our Help & Advice Team a call on 13 25 25 (Option 2), and they will be able to answer all of your questions! – The Dulux Team.

I purchased Dulux Prepcoat 1 step Primer, Sealer and undercoat, oil based. The brush was dragging so I thinned the paint after about 5 mins it started again so thinned again. I used a brush yesterday and got very bad brush marks. So today I used a paint pad with the result that many of the little hairs have come out. I have stopped painting my outside door as I have given up and will wait for it to dry and sand it all off. I started painting at 7 am in case it was too hot yesterday only to have an even worse result today. Is this product extremely heat sensitive i.e. is it better to use it in the winter, by the way I live in Hobart Tasmania so what I call hot is the coolest in Australia. I have a very large tin of the other 1 step Primer, sealer and undercoat that is water based, will I have the same problems with it, is it also very heat sensitive? Trish
Hi Trish, thank you for letting us know of your experience with our 1-Step Prep. We are sorry that you are not satisfied, and we understand your frustration. We want to help! Please call our Help & Advice team on 13 25 25 (Option 2) and quote your ticket number 166407, or you can private message us with your details and we will call you. We look forward to hearing from you - The Dulux Team.