Dulux Design Chalkboard

Dulux Design Chalkboard

Amazing stuff!! Love it!

Painted on brand new wall and it has worked perfectly - also made another wall the same for a calendar/planner wall in the kitchen.

Tips for cleaning - don't use water - dampen a cloth with Coke and it will bring your blackboard back to new!! Our wall has been painted for nearly 3 years with a now 4 year old and it's still amazing!

BonnieDulux

Hi Ange, We love this tip, thank you for sharing! Great work with your chalkboard projects.
- The Dulux Team

Utterly disappointed and so are my three kids!

We followed directions, had professional painters paint our new home. We finally got to move in, and the main exciting thing for the kids was their chalkboard walls (1 per room). The chalk does NOT come off.. even with a wet cloth, you are left with swirls of chalk everywhere. My kids are upset and I am mad we wasted the money on this paint. It is nothing like a chalkboard (and we have black plus two of the other colours). Really, really not what it is marketed to be.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Ness
Ness

I have tried the conditioning. It doesn't work. I spent ages wiping down last night again properly. I'm sure not going to re-paint and try again!

Tamara

TamaraGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Horrible now stuck with green door

Followed the instructions... even Googled!
Chalk won't come off.
Now I need to sand back and relax paint in a normal paint.
Waste of time, money and honestly I think it's disgusting they're still selling this. I don't even know if I'll be able to get it back to the original door. Might as well buy a new one!

Now have an ugly green door in my kitchen.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Absolutely rubbish

Painted a small wall in my kitchen.. after 2 coats and 3 days of drying I rubbed my hand across the area only to find a black dust substance was coming off, then the writing stays even after priming with chalk and to get it off you need to wipe with damp cloth only then to find the paint comes off onto the cloth

James H.

James H.Brisbane

Excellent!

Hard to clean, paint rubs off with damp cloth

I followed the directions exactly as per the tin, and waited over three days before writing on the surface. All was fine until it came to dusting off - the chalk wouldn't budge. With the area becoming unusable, I used a very slightly damp cloth to try and clean it, and the paint rubbed off. I've since found, from internet searching and a review here, that painted chalkboard surfaces should be primed with a total covering of chalk, but there was nothing on the tin regarding use following application. I'll be using a different, solvent-based paint to paint over it.

Doesn't work as a blackboard

Narelle

Narelle

Product is fine if you follow recommendations.

I have created a large blackboard by painting over a dated print. I used the water based paint and did three coats. Make sure you use a short pile roller.
The secret is to prime your chalkboard before you use it. Rub a stick of white chalk placed on its side over the entire surface, completely cover the surface. The paint is porus so you need to fill this with chalk first. (If you don't your design or writing will stay there permanently.) Then get a rag and rub the chalk into the surface, and leave for an hour or so.
Rub in again then dust off using a dry rag.
The board is ready to use.
If you ever clear off using water on your rag you must prime again using the same method.

Waste of time

I had the same problem as Darcy did. I have used it on two different types of surfaces now and find it completely useless. I was making blackboard signs for a wedding. I sure do hope the bride decides to keep the design as is as never try to wash it off. She will be disappointed if she did. I noticed whenever I tried to clean my word edges that the black comes straight off.

tashawokKurri Kurri, New South Wales

Horrible

Bought this paint to do a feature wall in my kitchen, prepped area as directed, took extra care to do everything right, after 1 use the colour is rubbing off on my cloth even though i let it cure for 4 days, chaulk only comes off with water, and has scratches already. I do not reccomend this product to anyone. Waste of money time and niw i have a big ugly black square in my kitchen with no purpose. I still have some left so im going to reapply 2 more coats if it is still bad i will be taking it back to the shop.
The idea
Didnt do as promised

Darcy

DarcyNSW

Instant chalkboard? No. It's just black paint.

We bought this for our sons room. The first problem was, it doesn't cover nearly as much surface area as it claims to. We only had a small area (just under 4 square metres) and the 1L tin said it would cover 8sqm. We bought the 1L tin expecting to get 2 coats but we only just got one coat. So we had to buy another tin. If we had bought a 2L tin in the first place we would have saved $10.
Then when we actually attempted to use it as a chalkboard, we were very disappointed. Yes, you can draw on it with chalk, but it doesn't come off. It's no different to any other wall surface except that it is black. A complete rip off.

It's just black paint, doesn't make an 'instant chalkboard' as advertised.