Dyson DC59

Dyson DC59

Animal and Standard

Was great at first but now have battery and power issues out of warranty and need $230 worth of part

Was impressed with power at first but now have battery and and other power issues and now that we are out of warranty and need $230 worth of parts. ($80 for battery and $130 for new head). Will probably a new kogan vac instead for $150. Also found the animal pro head tangles with long hair and the power connections require to run them loose contact. Have called service team a few times. Not prepared for fork out over $200 I parts considering the very short run time. Have to use boost 6 min Max and find the head kicks things out in front. Have been dealing with a few returns and repairs this year and have found that with larger brands who sell at high price points when there are this many issues that they will do the right thing and supply parts for free or upgrade to new products. Was offered $50 off a new $700 replacement. What a joke. Believe that the battery situation and motor are similar in the V6 but don't quote me on that. Just do your research before paying top dollar as I have not found that you get anything more for the premium price.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

So disappointed as battery has died and $120 to replace

We loved this stick vacuum. Made it easy to vacuum stairs and rugs. Scratched floorboards so stopped using on them.
But after two years the battery has died and a replacement battery is super expensive. Very disappointed Dyson as should last longer than that for the price. I refuse to pay an additional $120.
Will probably try a cheaper model instead next time.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Hi there, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your DC59. We certainly wouldn't expect any issues with using your DC59 on hard floors when the floor tool is routinely maintained. In regards to the battery, like other batteries has a finite life and will eventually need to be replaced. That being said, at time of writing it is available for $85 with free shipping Australia wide. There is no need to have the machine serviced as this part can be swapped out at home. If we can assist further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch. Best wishes, Shan

Great while it lasted

We have used this regularly for the past 4 years and it really has been awesome. We have a 4 bedroom house and a mixture of carpet and hard flooring. For most of that time we have been able to whip around with the DC59 and do most or all of it without a recharge. That, however, changed over the past few months.

In that time, and after the warranty ceased 2 years ago, we have had to replace the filter and the motor head. That wasn't cheap. Now, we are looking at a replacement body and probably another battery - around $200 all-up. Frankly, we are going to just buy a new V7 for $399.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson DC59. I am sorry to hear your machine isn't working as it should. I would kindly ask for you to reach out to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com. We will be more than happy to help diagnose what is happening and provide options to get your machine up and running. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Is is engineered to need replacing after the warranty period?

Quite a good vacuum until just after the warranty runs out. This is my 3rd or 4th Dyson product, great when they are relatively new but fail after a short period of use (and always, in my experience, just after the warranty period). I think I will now finally dispense with Dyson products, the engineering, while clever, is also suspiciously devious (Volkswagen come to mind in this respect and their hidden engineered 'defeat device' which they denied existed for a long time).

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Hi there, Thank you for your query. While I am sorry to hear of the timing, this is not what we design our machines to do. In the event there is a problem with a Dyson machine, we are happy to help. Regardless of the guarantee status, we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch to help. Best wishes, Shan

Overpriced, underpowered, underwhelming

When I purchased this product I did it on the advice of friends who owned it or a previous model. I quickly regretted it.
. Although it was useful to be able to whip around and vacuum without dragging a cord, the suction on the standard setting, which lasts for 15 minutes, was miserable
. Suction was up to the level of a regular mains-powered vacuum cleaner in turbo mode, but that lasted a mere 5 minutes.
. The bin capacity was very limited, so it needed to be regularly emptied
. It didn't empty well; I had to mostly do a full bin removal and clear the debris off the filter to stop it from choking
. Following the prescribed charging regime (i.e. leave it on charge all the time when not in use), one is fortunate to get 2 years out of the battery. Replacement batteries BTW are $80 +
(A friend who has one actually got 4 years out of her battery by NOT leaving it on permanent charge.)
There's already a new model out which is claimed to be much more powerful with a 40% bigger bin.
Well, my model was supposed to be much more powerful than the one it replaced!

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Great machine until I had to rely on their customer service.

Used frequently for 3 years and battery finally gave up. Went online to order new battery only to be informed to contact the hotline. Was told it was 103 minute wait. Hung up because who seriously has that sort of time. Decided to see if I could track down a local service centre in Perth. Found it and called the number but it was the same number as before. Email was the next option and waited the seven days for the response only to be told to go online to order the battery of which there were none in stock so please call the help line. Didn't want to wait the 77 minutes as per the recording so decided to take the two hour drive to the Perth shop. Was met by a lovely person only to be told that the batteries are on back order and they would be in in two weeks time but if I left my number they would post one out to me. That was 7 weeks ago. Suffice to say as good as the machine is or should I say was because I have turfed it and bought a competitors brand, the customer service is the worst i have ever experienced and for someone who lives in Perth who has built up a massive tolerance to to bad service, that is saying something.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi Andrew, Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear of your experience. We have encountered an unexpected high volume of inquiries recently, however at the time of writing the current wait time is approximately 1 minute on the Australian Helpline on 1800 239 766. We are also expecting a large delivery of batteries this week to cover any remaining back orders for this part. To discuss this further with us, and so we can best assist you, please email us at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, your product review and the machine's serial number. This is different from our advertised email address and we will be in touch as soon as possible after receiving contact from you. Best wishes, MiraThanks for the offer Mira but you only get once chance to provide good customer service. If its not provided at the first opportunity then any subsequent attempts will be moot. As i mentioned, I no longer use the Dyson. I chose another brand where the retailer is permitted to stock the spare parts so that I am not at the mercy of the product provider. As for the back order of batteries arriving this week, unfortunately that was a tale I was told 6 weeks ago.Hi Andrew, I am sorry to hear you feel this way. Batteries are coming in regularly to minimize wait times, and we would be more than happy to assist should you change your mind and forward your details. Best wishes, Shan

Expensive, parts keep breaking, terrible customer service

This has been our first Dyson purchase and initially, was very pleased with the suction performance for a stick vacuum. However we have needed the head replaced 3 times and now the wand is broken. It is used once daily for 20 mins, on timber floors mainly. We have spent $550 on a product with a good reputation as Dyson, and have been extremely disappointed with reliability for only 3.5 years lifespan. Customer service has been terrible. Waited on hold for 90 mins today, only to then go to voicemail, just disgraceful Dyson!

Update 26/6
Have to pay $35 for a new wand, includes free shipping. Now wondering what part is next to break or malfunction. Unfortunately will not buy another Dyson after this experience.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Animal DC59 battery and parts

I have an animal DC59 animal dyson - I've had issues from the start. Suction was average. I had to replace the head last year and now have to replace the battery. Vacuum is only 3 years old. After waiting on hold for an hour for customer service was told after reading from their manual to express how great the Dyson products are it's unfortunate but that's just how it is. Think a machine that you pay $500+ for should last longer than a couple years. It's adding to a consumable society where we throw things after 2 years and buy a new one! What happened to products lasting 15 years? I won't be purchasing another Dyson.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Hi Kristin, Thank you for reviewing your machine. The battery is considered a consumable item and will sometimes need to be replaced during the lifetime of the machine. This is a part that can be replaced for $85. If you would like to further discuss please email us at auaskdyson@dyson.com. Best wishes, Samuel Facebook.com/DysonI'm aware of the cost as I've had to purchase one - as well as a charge and a new head - total cost $240. That's nearly half the cost of the machine. Sorry if you think that's reasonable for a machine that is 2 years old then I wouldn't be using my example as a marketing exercise. I bought 2 machines at the same time and have had almost identical issues. What is sometimes during the life of the machine equate to and what is the life of the machine considered to be reasonable? Maybe things you should advertise when purchasing it. I concur with others comments relating to customer service. More than an hour wait each time you ring is worse than Telstra and that's saying something.Hi Kristin, We do apologise for the wait times you experienced. We acknowledge our wait time has been above our normal average and we have every possible Dyson Expert helping our owners, with more being trained. As of right now, the average wait time is 10 minutes and we are working on reducing this. We are sorry to hear you required three parts out of the guarantee. Outside of guarantee, we handle everything on a case by case basis, and would encourage forwarding your details to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to look into your situation further and assist. Best wishes, Shan

Worst Vacuum Cleaner EVER!

I have had this Vacuum cleaner for just over 3 years and I can vacuum for less than 2min....and every time I have to empty the dust chamber II have to find a pencil that i can swirl around to help guide the dust out! Ridiculous!!! On hold now to their service center and it is a 30min wait...Very expensive vacuum for such a short lifespan....The vacuum should come with a warning that it will have a very short lifespan. I would never buy another Dyson!

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Hi Carla, Thanks for your review and sorry to hear of your experience. We hope you were able to speak with our helpline and find a solution. If you were unable to wait we'd encourage you to contact us via email at the noted address below. The DC59 is designed to have a run time of up to 6 minutes on the Maximum suction mode, and approximately 16-20 minutes on the normal power mode depending on the floor tool or accessory selected. As the run time you are getting is shorter we would like to run through some checks with you to find out why this is happening and assist with the dust chamber issue as well. To discuss this further with us please email our Dyson experts at auaskdyson@dyson.com including your contact details, your full product review and the machine's serial number. This is different from our advertised email address and we will be in touch as soon as possible after receiving contact from you. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

59 Good but Over Priced

Generally Happy with the features and general performance of the 59,, BUT,,, given the appliance cost $540 and now need to pay $85 for a new battery after 4.5 years of random "infrequent" use ,,, plus,,, getting it to a Dyson technicial and a technician fee to replace the battery, I have come to the conclusion, that it is a good "over priced" appliance..
The surfaces this appliance was used on was predominantly "tiled flooring" and some carpet, so not heavily worked.
While I acknowledge this appliance is not expected to vacuum a home, I expected the use time would be longer for each full charge of the battery, hence feel the battery capacity was quite "under designed".
Value for money. ???? Not convinced.
Before replacing the battery, I will be looking at alternatives.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

Worth It

I bought this vacuum for my wife and have no regret in doing so. It is easy, light and efficient. With the purchase you are buying into a great customer support team and service. The only draw back being the length of charge it has. It runs out of battery after about 20 minutes of use but this has not really been an issue for what we use it for. Recommended. Although they have now upped the model for a longer lasting use and a more powerful engine.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Little expensive but good

This is very handy, a little over-priced but realiable vaccum cleaner, except few times when you really want to get something cleaned and you realise that it's short on battery and dies...

No battery indicator is another downside to this. We don't know how much battery it has. I wanted to clean my car with this and was short on time. It was running fine until it suddenly died (charging) and i had to wait another hour or so.

Comes with a lot of different size "hoses" is a plus point.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Great vaccuum but had it fixed 3 times

Support has always been helpful, replacing the motor once and battery twice, even with it being out of warranty this last time, but the failure rate in comparison to how much we use it is pretty crazy. I hope the newer models are more robust as i'd like to use this vaccuum for years but figure i'll be repairing once a year. After paying so much money for it, it's a bit disappointing. If their support wasn't as good, i'd hate this dang thing.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi there, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about this, we certainly wouldn't expect for a Dyson cord-free machine to need this much attention. Please be assured, whenever parts are replaced, they are covered by their own two year guarantee. If we can assist further, or you'd like to discuss this, please reach out to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

Great cleaner but appalling customer support

I have bought a number of Dyson products previously and have found them excellent. In the past I have had excellent after sales support and would not hesitate to recommend Dyson products to family and friends. However I can no longer recommend Dyson not because the product is poor but because the after sales service currently is appalling. I bought a Dyson DC59 stick vacuum cleaner in November 2014 and had no problem until recently when it just stopped working. I rang the support hotline, a misnomer if ever there was one! A recorded message advised me that the wait time was 101 minutes. Being unable to wait 101 minutes I decided to try again later in the day and once again was advised that the wait time was 94 minutes! I then decided I would try a 8am the next day when the hotline opened only to listen to a recorded message. I tried numerous times with no avail so in the meantime I emailed. The auto reply email said they would be in contact within 7 days and I could try the website which I did. After answering the questions to determine the course of action I should take I was promptly told to ring the hotline!
Eventually Dyson got back to me and eventually [Name Removed] rang me and suggested that I needed a new motor for $120. I questioned whether I may need a battery but she assured me that because of the colour and number of flashes it was the motor. Eventually a motor was sent, I followed the instructions, replaced the motor and absolutely nothing had changed. Still didn’t work, still the same number and coloured lights flashing. Once again I email, I’m told they will get back to me within 7 days. I ask them to ring me and eventually [Name Removed] rings and now tells me it’s the battery. I ask if I can return the motor and get a refund but she says no as the motor is broken as well at which point I remind her that it’s a new motor and the lights are still flashing which would therefore indicate that the new motor is also broken. So now I am asked if I want a technician to look at it for a cost of $65 payable later. I agree and, as I live a long way from Tarren Point, they will send me an email with an attachment I have to print out that includes the address and a reference number. I am to box the machine and put the printout on the box and take it to the nearest post office. Well, I get the email with no attachment and no reference number! So once again I email Dyson and they say they will get back to me within 7 days. This whole saga has taken 5 weeks, 16 emails, three phone calls , $120 and I still have a stick vacuum cleaner that doesn’t work. I’m not happy and I can’t recommend Dyson any longer.

Date PurchasedNov 2014
Hi Lesley, Thank you for reaching out. We do sincerely apologise for the delay, due to our recent technology launches and promotions we have had more calls than normal. Our Teams have been working hard to assist everyone and we are working to reduce the queue, we thank you for your patience. That being said, I am sorry to hear about this experience, this is not what we would expect. Could you please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be more than happy to look into this and get this sorted for you. Best wishes, Shan Facebook.com/Dyson

Love Dyson overall, but still needs improvement

I love how easy it is to steer the Dyson stick vacuum around the house. We have a lot of tiles and carpets and use it on both. Because it's lightweight, the kids can also use it to clean their rooms. My parents loved ours, and consequently bought their own. It's fast charging, and turns itself off when charging is complete, that's fantastic! Why can't my iPhone do that? One of my favourite features of this vacuum is using it to reach cobwebs on high ceilings, and removing dust from the air con filters. My biggest issue is hair getting caught in the brush. In a household that includes 3 girls and a dog, the brush traps the hair which is great, however I constantly have to clean the brush which is a not easy at all. This is an issue with my upright Dyson also, and probably with every vacuum cleaner out there. I have recently discovered there is a hair free tangle brush available for the Dyson stick, and I will purchase despite the high price of $85 for an attachment. It should make my life easier. Also the barrel is fiddly to empty out, I have to use a spatula or knife to scrape it out when full, and I always press the start trigger by mistake which turns the vacuum on while the barrel is open! Annoying. Still love Dyson, looking forward to upgrading to the Dyson V10 when released, if I can afford it.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Quick update - I purchased the Dyson Tangle Free turbine ($85 on eBay) and it is amazing! It's a compact head (about 15cm wide) that sucks hair and dust in like magic, literally sounds like a little tornado. The small size makes it really easy to get into corners and edges where hair and dust tends to accumulate. It's also much lighter than the standard turbo brush, so it's quicker and easier to push my stick vac around. Absolute life saver in dealing with hair pickup. Works great on my rugs, carpets and tiles. I wish bought it sooner !Hi there, Thanks for your DC59 review. We recommend emptying the clear bin as soon as the debris reaches the Max line to ensure it's easy to empty, if dust gets caught above this, we'd recommend removing the bin completely as demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWG-AgswpQo While we are happy to hear the tangle free tool is working well for you, turbine powered tools are not designed for use with cord free machines and may not perform as expected. If you have any further questions or need assistance please email us at auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help. Best wishes, Mira www.facebook.com/dyson

Has been really good!

Has been really useful to have. Had it for over 3 years and other than it getting clogged constantly with hair, it has been good. Hope the new models have a longer battery life. Would be good if the corded ones became more portable around the house as the limited battery life is tough.

Date PurchasedNov 2014

Great vacuum

I owned a small one bedroom apartment and this vacuum cleaner was great for a small space. It's battery after one charge would be enough to vacuum my place over a couple of times, and because of its small size it was easily stored away. I would recommend this for anyone with a small house.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Has replaced normal vacuum

We have had the dyson dc59 for about 4 years now and it has been a really good purchase. It is so convenient to just pull out and clean something. The charging stand is awesome and means the dyson is ready to go when needed and easily accessible. Rather than having to find it somewhere hidden in a closet or spare room. My only complaint would be that the battery life apparently has been shortened by using the turbo function. This now no longer works but for a $100 I can get a new battery sent out. I think $50 is a reasonable cost for a new battery. Customer service is very good.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Will purchase is again, very good helper

Overall of this product is great, I feel I do not need Dyson most expensive handheld cleaner since this one does it job perfectly.
Using it nearly every day and has lasted for 3 years without any problem.

the only problem has to clean it often.
Will purchase it agian

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Wonderful vacuuming power!

Ordered it during a sale at Big W. Very strong vacuuming power. very easily collects dirt from every corner or the house and in the car. Picks up hair easily and easy cleaning. Theres nothing that it wont pick up so far. Will recommend this product to other family members.

Date PurchasedMay 2016