Dyson V7 Animal

Dyson V7 Animal

MPN: 227604-01

Worst Vacuumer Cleaner

This is the second Dyson I have bought. The first was great. Bought this because now living in a caravan. Worst vacuum cleaner ever. Too hard to empty. Run time is terrible considering it takes 2 hours to charge. I am not able to clean back and front of a 4WD in less than full 2 charges. If you don’t run it on max, it doesn’t pick up anything.
Instructions supplied are not much use at all

Purchased in January 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum

Life saver

Long lasting, brilliant, easy to use!

I use this every day after work and do my entire house! I couldn’t do without it! It’s easy to move around the entire house! Since I got this I have not touched my v10 cord vac

Purchased in May 2018 for $400.00.

Excellent machinery

Got this on sale and love it. Runtime would be considered short for some but if you have a smallish apartment like I have, it's perfect. Has good suction power for my couches, floorboards and carpets. You can also switch it to max power (obviously with a shorter run-time) which is great. Highly recommend and agree with most the good reviews here

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $549.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Battery life is crap

Battery life is crap not worth the money people pay for it I can't even vacuum a small house with out the battery running out should be selling for no more then $100 to $150 u r getting ripped off people if you buy this

Purchased in April 2018 at Weight Losers for $700.00.

Floor Type Wood

Great vacuum especially for stairs!

It’s small and lightweight. Has regular power or you can amp it up to higher power spurts for harder to clean areas, although the battery runs out quicker. Being cordless makes it great for stairs and small areas. Looks good too.

Purchased in September 2018 at Amazon for $341.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum

Going strong

I have both carpet and tile flooring and my Dyson works equally good. It's been a year and still looks good as new. I have a cat and it helps me cleaning cat hair which I possibly can't do it with another vaccum cleaner. I like how it takes very less space for charging.

Purchased in January 2018.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Happy....but

I had the same problem. Bought from jb hifi, loved it, but 3 months later the battery died, which is strange given it was only 3 months old. Took it back to retailer though and got replaced (the whole thing not just the battery) immediately. But I’m kind of worried now that it may happen again.

Purchased in September 2018 for $400.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Great Suction- no trigger lock option for 'on'. NOT IDEAL for those with arthritis or similar

Major flaw in the design is the lack of a trigger lock option. I had a Vax before this and the lock meant NOT having to constantly hold down the 'on' button to use the vacuum.

If you have arthritis or other similar issues, the Dyson cordless range is NOT for you. I truly regret the purchase decision~ particularly given all the issues I've had over the years with Dyson products in general. I have read reviews where people have used cable ties or similar to fix the problem, frankly- for the cost of the product.... you shouldn't have too!!

Purchased in January 2019 for $412.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Over Hyped...more wind than suction

This was a gift from mum, and was expensive $700ish. A positive is there is no bag to throw away. But the washable filter needs 24 hrs to dry - a spare is $19 (roughly?). And on emptyimg you get a bin, and face, full of dust because yhe trapdoor opens toward you. On hard floors the large motorised head is just OK 5/10. On carpet (1 room a t a time...!) it scores 5.5/10. Car cleaning (1 car at a time) 4/10. Battery endurance per 5 hours is enough for a quick tidy up in the living area, OR 1 reasonably clean car OR 1 carpeted room NO MORE! Charging time is poor abt 5 hours ridiculously slow in 2019 and the battery is built in, so no hot-swap. It would never (ever) have kept up with the twins as youngsters . For example, there's not enough suction power or battery endurance for renter/student pre-inspection panic cleanups (back in the day). The optuonal car cleaning kit is about another $80. You really need this to get to the nooks and crannies inside a car because the v7 is fat bodied, the supplied tools are inflexible and incompatible with 'normal'vacuum cleaner tools /attachments. I am disappointed with the V7.

Purchased in December 2018 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $700.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Wood

Very good

I bought this from JBHi
Cordless vacuum with a brush attachment and a short nose attchment( which is very handy Never spent so much on a vacuum before but have been very please

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $399.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

I strangely look forward to vacuuming

Best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. The suction is incredible. I vacuum twice a week and I cannot believe how much dust and hair there is for just two people. It’s easy to clean too. Love it sooo much!!

Purchased in December 2017 at Big W Retail Stores.

Great vacuum

Great vacuum, very easy to handle and has a very strong suction. The only downfall is that you can’t vacuum up larger items the size of a five cent piece.

Purchased in September 2018 for $699.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Dyson v7 great as a cord-free, but battery dead in 3 months

No complaint on the design and performance on the cordless vacuum cleaner.
But the battery dead in three months.
Dyson promised to send replacement and nothing happened in 4 weeks.
Searched on Ebay, only 1 to 2 OEM batteries available for V7. Much more suppliers for V8.
Looks like V7 got a battery quality/supply problem.
Without a battery, the vacuum cleaner is useless.

Purchased in October 2018 at David Jones Retail Stores for $450.00.

Floor Type Carpet
Hi John, Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Dyson V7 and haven't received your battery. This certainly isn't the experience we would expect and we will be happy to follow this up for you. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, ShanContacted Dyson and replacement battery arrived within 3 days. The V7 is working as it should. Thanks for your help.

Love it but shocks super bad me! BUT I have the fix!

Solved problem of ceramic floors always dirty with broom and stairs, But it shocks me super hard! FiX First wear tennis shoes and ,remove rings from your hands. Second, modify an automotive plug and insert into the charging port. Make sure the plug is the right material. Dyson says dont stick anything in it but the shock is real! It turns the vacuum off its so hard. I cant deal with it. But I love it and dont want to return it so we fixed the problem.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great hand held vacuum!

I purchased this vacuum when my baby was born. Out house was only one year old, and the amount if dust and dirt I vacuumed up was appalling!
I use it on my hardwood floors to my carpet rooms without changing attachments. Highly recommend this version. I use the Max suction option, and am still amazed at the debris it collects.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Improving

Had a DC45, does the job, use mainly for the car so the compact size is handy.
Decide to buy this for small job around the house when kids make a mess of things.
Works really well. We have the Dyson cord ball vacuum for a few years and the wife loves that one. She does thrash the ball vacuum and I’m surprise it is still working.
This V7 is great. It’s permanently left in Max mode. It’ll do the 3 bedroom house as we have timber floor boards and it’s quick. The bigger canister than the DC 45 is useful. Battery will get hot and it won’t charge until it cool down, not an issue for me.
Hoping Dyson will design an autonomous vacuum.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

V7 Faulty

We had an older barrel Dyson that was great but needed new filters which Dyson said were no longer available so after talking with Dyson they talked me into a new machine. I purchased direct from Dyson and received the V7 in the 1st week of October 2018. The Machine stopped working just before new year. Contacted Dyson on 2nd January and was told battery was faulty but they were out of stock but I would be notified when available and it would be replaced. Batteries were due "any day now and we will keep you informed." Called back on 8th January and got the same speil. "[name removed]" sent me a text and was going to call back the next day. Never happened. I replied help to her text and again, no action from Dyson. Rang again today 16th January and yes, the same old spiel as from the other 2 customer service reps. I asked why, if there was difficulty getting batteries, did they not stock an item they supply and said was difficult to import. I then asked why they couldn't replace the battery with 1 from a machine they had in stock or just replace the entire machine and was told "That's not our policy".
Definitely not a happy customer.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Jacquie, I am sorry to hear about this and can appreciate your frustration. While there was a delay with the arrival of the batteries, they were received and back orders were fulfilled. Our apologies for the delay. Should you wish to discuss this further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to assist further. Best wishes, Shan

Can't live without it

This truly makes life easier with Persian cat Milly. She sheds all over my house and this picks up her fur like a dream. It also has a good battery life not like some other hand held I have had and its not heavy. It is also easy to empty. Great purchase!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great

The Dyson stick is a great product. We have a golden retriever and therefore need to vacuum on a daily basis, the Dyson sticks makes vacuuming easy and enjoyable, I know enjoyable.
Our Dyson stick is a cordless so the charge will last for approx 30 mins. We have floor board (no carpet) so it is fine for us but I’m not sure how it would go on carpet.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great appliance

I have been forever carting around my old Miele barrel vacuum over two storeys, and while I love our hairball of a dog, I can't stand dog hair in the house and vacuuming is a long, arduous routine to eliminate it. The hard floors are easy enough (between cord tangles, etc.) but the rugs take a really long time. We had decided to get our folks a Dyson stick for Christmas, which is what got me into looking into them - consulting the Choice and Product Review sites. Impressed with the reported performance, I got the Animal with its extra attachment for the rugs. (I would have loved the Choice "Recommended" Absolute - most powerful - but it's quite expensive, and it turns out the V7 is more than adequate for a modest sized house).

There are so many refreshingly wonderful features of the Dyson over my old vacuum, it has shaved hours off my housework time, and made the task a WHOLE lot more pleasant. While it is “early days” yet (in my first month of use), if it continues to work as expected, I will remain one very happy customer.

1. It is powerful - excellent suction
* It cleans really well on the High Suction (lower) setting on hard floors, picking up everything the wide head covers - my barrel vac lost suction at the head’s edges, this one with its spinning rollers collects almost everything it passes over. I say "almost" because I did note the rollers won't take larger/heavier items like small pebbles, they're spun back out (had to pick them up).
* The Max setting strips the rugs clean of debris in a fraction of the time it used to take, I am gobsmacked, this has literally saved me hours, the floorboards and tiles are clean and the rugs look great. The hard floor head seems to clean my rugs just as well as the smaller rug head.
* Using an attachment for the furnishings (in handheld mode) makes for a quick clean. Effective and convenient for spot cleaning on dry surfaces - crumbs/dog hair/fluff etc. gone in 1-2 passes.
* In the car, only the Max suction stood a chance against the dense automotive carpet that hadn't been vacuumed in months. It didn’t last the charge and I turned to my barrel vacuum with its flexible hose to get to the places the bulky (in the confines of the car) handheld couldn’t enter - I'll need to buy the $29 extender attachment if I want to be able to vacuum the whole car interior. I have been eyeing the $89 3-tool car kit, which contains the extender, plus a very useful looking bendy tool that can reach under/around normally inaccessible places, and a small flat brush head. While I would love this kit, I would not be surprise if the more powerful models (i.e. V10) simply did a better job on those tough automotive carpets.

2. It's light and least effort to use:
* A small person can carry it around easily, lift it with one arm, manoeuvre a LOT more easily than with a corded barrel. The spinning head turns into corners in ways my standard barrel vac head cannot, and with no cords or hoses in the way, I get around a lot quicker and with far less effort.
* 2 settings only - High Suction and Max Suction. High Suction does a great job on hard floors, is not very loud and provides the longest use time before recharge. I find I only need Max Suction (which is much louder) if something is wedged under a table leg or I'm vacuuming pet hair from the rugs.
* The manual doesn't make much sense to a first timer - names of the parts/tools would have been helpful!

3. Operation is smooth and smart
* Easily attaches/detaches to/from dock and tools, the pull button to empty the bin - big red button, 1 distinct click and it's in/out/open/closed - my elderly folks should have no trouble operating.
* I've never liked emptying bagless vacs but this isn't too bad - I can get the bin chamber into a bag before expelling the contents and close it on its way up out of the bag without a sneezing fit from a face full of dust particles. I like the way the “trapdoor” emptying mechanism works, just 3 steps.
* What won’t be any fun is regular cleaning of trapped hair etc. in the bin and rollers, and routine washing of the filter (with a whopping 24 hour drying time, according to the manual - note that water is the enemy of this appliance). It’s a bit more maintenance than the barrel vac but more environmentally friendly and cost efficient.
* More hygienic, too - I can’t see let alone clean most parts of my barrel vac and brush head. Unlike the bag in my barrel vac, the bin chamber is small and requires frequent emptying, and is made of clear plastic so you can see much of what has been sucked in. Rifling through its wispy contents for, say, an earring, is not anywhere near as revoting as cutting open a much larger vacuum bag and searching through the dense gunk of the last dozen vacuums.
* You have to hold the trigger for it to run while vacuuming but it doesn’t bother me - it's a hair trigger, a little pressure and it’s on, no effort required. Then again, I’m not so tall I’m hunched over a short stick - it’s a comfortable push off for someone 5ft tall. (It’s certainly the right height to cop a warm puff of air to the face from the spinning motor when I bring it in too close!).
* I do wish the dock accommodated all the attachments, ready to click off/on as needed, but I appreciate its compact design would be ruined fitting on 2 more large tools.

4. Charge (in use) time isn't terrible
* You only get about 10-15mins on the Max setting. I can get all the rugs downstairs cleaned in one charge.
* On hard floors the High Suction setting does a great job and I get probably 20+ mins, which turns out to be more than enough most times time for large areas, or multiple rooms, of up to around 17sq. No wasting the charge when (e.g.) stopping to move something, tidy, take a call, change rooms, etc. since the motor stops the moment you release the trigger and stop vacuuming.

5. Recharge time
* I think it's about 20mins - half an hour(? didn't time it) for a full recharge, much less for a short recharge.
I tend to vacuum an area, stop to finish tidying, by the time I'm ready to recommence vacuuming it has recharged.
* I have noticed that if you work it on Max suction until it stops and needs a recharge, the orange fault light appears when it’s returned to the dock. This is not a cause for panic, it just means it’s a bit hot and needs to cool down first. The light returns to blue when it sufficiently cools and starts to recharge.

If you tend to clean one area at a time (as opposed to vacuuming the whole home in one go), a handstick like this will suit perfectly.

It’s a beautiful machine, and a bit expensive - if this model didn’t drop $200 in price I may not have taken the plunge. I’m glad it/I did, it has made my life so much easier, I can enjoy the household commotions rather than stress over the dog, traffic etc. in & out, it’s much easier to keep areas clean all the time. I hope it also has the longevity of a good vacuum, especially given it is treated a LOT more carefully - my Miele barrel vac may be awkward & clumsy in comparison, cracked and probably quite dirty, but it still working strongly after several years of heavy use and a couple of falls down the stairs! If my new Dyson proves anywhere near as robust, and I don't have to spend too much more on accessories, I may update my rating to 5 stars.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

I have my Dyson mounted in my garage. For the last few days the blue light has been off and the solid yellow light is displayed, and it has not charge. Could this be due to the temperature in the garage?
Hi Sharon, Thank you for your query. Dyson machines are designed to be charged in temperatures between 3°C and 30°C. If outside this range, the machine may not function or charge as expected. In your particular circumstance, it sounds like the battery is either too hot or too cold and, as a safety precaution, it won't charge until it is within the recommended temperatures. I hope this helps, however if we can assist further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Once fully charged, can it stay plugged in?
Yes. However need to unplug it to turn the machine on.Hi Kenny, Thank you for your query. Your Dyson V7 Animal has smart electronics within the machine, battery and charger to ensure the machine won't overcharge. We recommend you leave the machine on charge when not in use, this will ensure it is always ready for your next cleaning session. The electronics in the machine will ensure the battery charges to 100%, but not over. Because of these electronics, it is also perfectly okay to do quick "top-up" charges without the need to exhaust the battery each time before charging. I hope this helps, however if we can assist further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

Our dyson V7 animal is cutting in and out. Could this be a faulty trigger or something else?
Hi Geoff, Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear your machine is cutting in and out. If your machine is making a surging or pulsing sound this sound indicates a restriction in airflow through the machine. We would encourage checking the machine's airways as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpxRl17N03E Should you find the issue persists, please contact our helpline on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our helpline is open Mon-Fri 8am-7pm and on the weekend 8.30am-4pm. Alternatively you can email your details through to auaskdyson@dyson.com and one of our experts will be in touch as soon as possible to assist. Best wishes, Samuel Facebook.com/Dyson

V7 Animal