7Fiat Punto

Sagar
Sagar10 posts
  2013-2015

Little red Fiat

Got the little fiat with dualogic AMT gearbox for a learner driver.

very good overall with fuel consumption under 4.5 litres per 100 km with spirited driving.

Would recommend if you don’t need to go through hilly terrain often.

Niggles:

Dualogic transmission is an acquired taste.

Very low powered specially if you are in the hills surrounded by hoons.

Blue & me accessories and satnav difficult to find in Australia.

If you find a good turbo, go for it

Ed of ParraSydney39 posts
Alessandro
AlessandroGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC
  2006-2009

Dualogic.... More like no logic!!

I have owned my punto for about 7 years now with no issues except for the constant dualogic problems. I have taken the car to several different mechanics where I have had to leave the car for extended periods of time with no fix. Nobody seems to know how to fix it or know where to fix these transmissions in Melbourne? I have have experienced gear changing issues (crunching sounds), the car not being able to select any gears when starting, stopping at traffic lights and then being stuck in a turning lane at peak hour traffic time....... The list goes on!!

Terrible, terrible gearbox.

By the way a friend of mine had to trade their Punto in because of the same thing!

Stay clear of these cars!!!

Rocco
Rocco

Dualogic nightmare

I actually like my fiat punto grande. The one thing that I can't fathom about the car is that rubbish dualogic gear box. Fuel economy is great and the driving experience is great. The gear box has a mind of its own. It fails without warning. What's worse is the cost to have the actuator relplaced. It will cost you more than the car is worth. I have always worked on Fiats and liked them. If you do buy one go for a traditional manual or auto. Stay clear of the electronic rubbish gearbox.

Shaz
ShazGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC14 posts
Earl Thompson4 posts

Transmission dramas

Fiat Australia have said that they do not regard the systemic transmission problems reported off shore are a factor for their consideration!

Fiat say the part to repair the transmission in our 2009 transmission (just the part) is $5,000.

Car is valued at the same price.

Fiat Customer Care dept. will not accept our email or snail mail evidence of the service history to support our position. What a terrible company to deal with.

Earl Thompson

shocking treatment by Fiat Australia. Their dealers need to pull that company into line

Russell Nielsen
Russell NielsenTownsville Qld11 posts

Great reliable car

I purchased my Punto new in 2008. The 1.3 ltr diesel is a great economical engine. A great car with no problems.

rob92
rob92Perth4 posts

great car

I have recently sold my Punto Sport turbo diesel. It was a great car but I needed 4 doors. Now have a Ritmo turbo petrol 2009 model which has also been fantastic so far. The Punto was reliable, economical and quite sporty, especially for a diesel. It was the orange colour-the best for this model.
reliable, inexpensive, good performance, distictive
steve
steveMid North Coast, NSW36 posts

Now good value

What a shame when Fiat released these in 2006 that the pricing at that time wasn't where it is now. They are a good car, with reliability & durability beyond any doubt. The Diesel was the pick of the engines, but because of the initial pricing only sold in small numbers. Just hope Fiat might reconsider adding the diesel back to the range at a more affordable price.
Reliable, durable & safe for a small vehicle. Great diesel in previous model.
Some minor quality issues.
Never Again
Never Again3 posts

Absolute dog!!!

I unfortunately own a 2008 Fiat Punto with automatic gearbox. Nothing but trouble with the gearbox actuator. This is the electronics that send a message when to go into the next gear. It turns out on enquiry that it is a very common problem globally. I now have to spend $3k to get it fixed and no parts in Australia. Do your own internet research before buying an automatic. Also difficult to get competent people to service and also resell. Cannot even get parts from a wrecker. Steer clear of this Italian rubbish and buy a Corolla. Apparently the manuals are a lot more reliable but have no experience with the manual version.

Automatic gearbox actuator - common global problem and expensive to fix! Show details

Elio66
Elio66Perth3 posts

Great Car

I bought a Fiat Punto in 2008. In 4 years, no problems at all. A Great car that looks good, drives fantastic and isn't just another boring dot on the road. The panoramic sunroof is great. The 1.4 litre "T-Jet" turbo motor is a gem, giving you plenty of sprinting power. Highly Recommended. Fiat make great cars.
Style, Performance and Reliability.
newy26
newy26AU5 posts
PuntoManCanberra6 posts
RJB
RJBAU10 posts

Stormin N.
Stormin N. · Punto

2010 fiat punto 1.4 evo
With a Neutral Gear Sensor fault.
Can anyone tell me where this sensor is placed??

Chris T.

Stormin, join a FIAT punto facebook page and ask there. You will get your answer.

Nasro
Nasro · Punto

Is the gearbox for fiat punto mk1 and mk2 and mk3 the same or different?

Pramod M. · Punto

Hi People,
I have a Fiat Punto 2013 dualogic transmission which broke down yesterday while doing my delivery. I parked my car in front of a customer’s house, handed over the food, returned back and when I normally tried to shift the gear from N to 1st auto/ manual both weren’t working. I’d never encountered this situation before and I reckon my car was totally fine until then. I furthered got it toed to a RAcv mechanic shop as it seemed the only option during that situation. Whilst, I’m awaiting for my mechanic to get back, I really want to know what might have gone wrong as I’m totally devastated and tensed.
Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Pramod M.

OMG?? I’m feeling totally down and out now. Looks like I’ll have to get rid of it and buy a new one. Feels really painful. Thanks for your honest reply even though it shattered me into pieces.

Compare all Fiat Punto listings
Fiat Punto 2013-20154.0
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $26,990$15,900
TransmissionManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrol
Engine4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 5000rpm57kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque206Nm @ 5000rpm115Nm @ 3250rpm
Country of ManufactureItalyItaly
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)