2006-2009, 2013-2015
See the Best Hatchbacks in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Fiat? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Acceleration / Power
  • Gear Shifting
  • Suspension
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Handling
  • Boot Size
  • Comfort

Punto is one spicy meatball!!!

Purchased in April 2018.

Sagar
Sagar

Little red Fiat

BadgePop
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Ed of ParraSydney

Great & Fun to drive car but EXPENSIVE dealer servicing.

Date PurchasedDec 2008
Alessandro
AlessandroGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Dualogic.... More like no logic!!

I have owned my punto for about 7 years now with no issues except for the constant dualogic problems. I have taken the car to several different mechanics where I have had to leave the car for extended periods of time with no fix. Nobody seems to know how to fix it or know where to fix these transmissions in Melbourne? I have have experienced gear changing issues (crunching sounds), the car not being able to select any gears when starting, stopping at traffic lights and then being stuck in a turning lane at peak hour traffic time....... The list goes on!!
Terrible, terrible gearbox.

By the way a friend of mine had to trade their Punto in because of the same thing!

Stay clear of these cars!!!

TransmissionDualogic
Date PurchasedFeb 2009

Dualogic nightmare

I actually like my fiat punto grande. The one thing that I can't fathom about the car is that rubbish dualogic gear box. Fuel economy is great and the driving experience is great. The gear box has a mind of its own. It fails without warning. What's worse is the cost to have the actuator relplaced. It will cost you more than the car is worth. I have always worked on Fiats and liked them. If you do buy one go for a traditional manual or auto. Stay clear of the electronic rubbish gearbox.

TransmissionDualogic
ShazGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Decent Car. Worst Company!!

Transmission dramas

Fiat Australia have said that they do not regard the systemic transmission problems reported off shore are a factor for their consideration!
Fiat say the part to repair the transmission in our 2009 transmission (just the part) is $5,000.
Car is valued at the same price.
Fiat Customer Care dept. will not accept our email or snail mail evidence of the service history to support our position. What a terrible company to deal with.

Earl Thompson
Earl Thompson

shocking treatment by Fiat Australia. Their dealers need to pull that company into line

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.
Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Russell Nielsen
Russell NielsenTownsville Qld

Great reliable car

I purchased my Punto new in 2008. The 1.3 ltr diesel is a great economical engine. A great car with no problems.

rob92
rob92Perth

great car

I have recently sold my Punto Sport turbo diesel. It was a great car but I needed 4 doors. Now have a Ritmo turbo petrol 2009 model which has also been fantastic so far. The Punto was reliable, economical and quite sporty, especially for a diesel. It was the orange colour-the best for this model.
reliable, inexpensive, good performance, distictive

steve
stevePort Macquarie

Now good value

What a shame when Fiat released these in 2006 that the pricing at that time wasn't where it is now. They are a good car, with reliability & durability beyond any doubt. The Diesel was the pick of the engines, but because of the initial pricing only sold in small numbers. Just hope Fiat might reconsider adding the diesel back to the range at a more affordable price.
Reliable, durable & safe for a small vehicle. Great diesel in previous model.
Some minor quality issues.

Never Again
Never Again

Absolute dog!!!

I unfortunately own a 2008 Fiat Punto with automatic gearbox. Nothing but trouble with the gearbox actuator. This is the electronics that send a message when to go into the next gear. It turns out on enquiry that it is a very common problem globally. I now have to spend $3k to get it fixed and no parts in Australia. Do your own internet research before buying an automatic. Also difficult to get competent people to service and also resell. Cannot even get parts from a wrecker. Steer clear of this Italian rubbish and buy a Corolla. Apparently the manuals are a lot more reliable but have no experience with the manual version.

Automatic gearbox actuator - common global problem and expensive to fix!

Elio66
Elio66Perth

Great Car

I bought a Fiat Punto in 2008. In 4 years, no problems at all. A Great car that looks good, drives fantastic and isn't just another boring dot on the road. The panoramic sunroof is great. The 1.4 litre "T-Jet" turbo motor is a gem, giving you plenty of sprinting power. Highly Recommended. Fiat make great cars.
Style, Performance and Reliability.

newy26
newy26AU

Love hate relationship

PuntoManCanberra

Fiat Punto: 5 years on still lovin' it!

RJBAU

Good

RJB

I sold this car in early 2013 after purchasing Skoda Octavia Wagon. Fiat was trouble free for whole ownership experience (5 years). Much loved car!

Pramod M.asked
Punto

Hi People,
I have a Fiat Punto 2013 dualogic transmission which broke down yesterday while doing my delivery. I parked my car in front of a customer’s house, handed over the food, returned back and when I normally tried to shift the gear from N to 1st auto/ manual both weren’t working. I’d never encountered this situation before and I reckon my car was totally fine until then. I furthered got it toed to a RAcv mechanic shop as it seemed the only option during that situation. Whilst, I’m awaiting for my mechanic to get back, I really want to know what might have gone wrong as I’m totally devastated and tensed.
Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Hi Pramod,
I feel sorry for you having the issue. I used to own a Fiat Punto (see my review on this site). Unfortunately the Punto has a well documented history of being a great car with great engine BUT with poor/failing gearboxes (including mine). I think The problem for you is, the gearbox has failed and need replacement, cost estimate is anywhere between $3-5k. Even more problem is no mechanic is likely to have a spare gearbox, which means it has to be imported from Italy (and huge delays with the delivery timing during COVID pandemic these days).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you but from my experience and perspective, it is not looking good for you.

Regards,
Ed

Pramod M.

OMG?? I’m feeling totally down and out now. Looks like I’ll have to get rid of it and buy a new one. Feels really painful. Thanks for your honest reply even though it shattered me into pieces.

Deryck L.
Deryck L.asked
Punto

I have a diesel 5 speed it's stuck in first gear when turned off I can put it in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th but can't in reverse

Hi Deryck,
I used to own a Fiat Punto Diesel manual for 8 yrs, and experienced what you described. Back then I did a lot of research and found the likely cause was that the gearbox is failing. And to replace it, it needs to be imported from Italy and bacl then it cost approximately $3-4k just to replace the gearbox. Fiat Punto was a good car and fun to drive but the gearbox was the weakest link and it has well been documented with so many problems. For me it lasted 8 yrs before I trade it in for another car, and getting 8yrs out of the gearbox was not too bad considering the many documented problems with shorter gearbox lifespan. In any case, Good luck with the car but I would recommend trading in for another car if u have the budget as gearbox replacement probably would cost more than the car value itself.

Almerasked
Punto 2006-2009

I have a fiat punto duo-logic 1.4 petrol 2007 and would like to acquire a workshop or sevice manual for same but cant find one. Any help?

Hey mate,

there is a workshop in Thomastown. the gentleman there exclusively deals in fiat punto's. try doing a google search and he might be able to help.

Regards,

Waqas.

Almer

Thank you for your prompt reply, will try to contact him

Compare both Fiat Punto

Fiat Punto 2013-2015

CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $26,990$15,900
TransmissionManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrol
Engine4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 5000rpm57kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque206Nm @ 5000rpm115Nm @ 3250rpm
Country of ManufactureItalyItaly
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)
Compare both Fiat Punto