Kia Picanto

• Features
Darren Rees

Darren ReesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable and unsafe; Worst After Care Service Imaginable

I was so excited about buying my first new car ever. In my search I narrowed it down to 3 cars and after test driving all 3 purchased this one. Number one selling point was the Apple Car Play system and the wireless connectivity. The day I picked up my new car it did not work ... was told to update my IOS system when I got home; which I did. Still no success. Reported it straight away and 10 weeks later still falling on deaf ears. I am so so disappointed and now all that is left to me is going to the ACCC. Buyer Beware .... appalling, non-existent, be-littling after care service.

Purchased in September 2020 at Kia Motorama Marooka.

Year2020
Karen Grandfield

Karen GrandfieldSouth East Queensland, QLD

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Purchased my Kia Picanto on 7 October 2020 and already I love it. It has all the features that you could possibly want. Yes it is a micro car, but it feels much bigger. Handles superbly and you can park on a postage stamp. I use it to commute to and from work on a daily basis in the city. Fantastic. I am hoping that they will bring out the 1 litre turbo to Australia. I would really like to test drive that. It also has capped price servicing, 7year warranty and roadside assistance. How could you go wrong

Purchased in October 2020 at Kia Dealers for A$19,250.00.

Year2020

PhillipSydney Surrounds, NSW

Best car in the segment, no competition

Had the Picanto GT for a couple of weeks now, absolutely is the best vehicle in its class - no competition.

Kia have really nailed the small car segment in one swift blow to its competitors, for just under 20K you get almost all of the tech/features that you would want from ANY car (except for sunroof, climate control and heated seats in Australia, weirdly).

Weirdly no automatic is offered if you opt for the GT Turbo, which is a pain when you live in Sydney - seemingly stuck in perpetual peak hour. You can only get the auto with the much slower 1.2L engine.

It would be nice if you could option the car with Kia/Hyundai's active lane keep or radar cruise control, I'd happily tick the box for $2000.

Purchased in January 2020 at Kia Dealers for A$19,350.00.

sunshinexox

sunshinexoxNSW, 2264

Love it

My car is very convenient, value for money and excellent to drive. Only complaint would be that when I was looking to purchase my car, the salesperson I spoke to on the phone at the Castle Hill dealership was slightly pushy / really trying to influence me to do a particular finance option and wasn't actually listening to what I want. So I went to the Liverpool dealership and have been very happy with the car itself.

Purchased in November 2018.

MelBobo

MelBoboGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great car!

Ok, so it doesn't have much power. But who needs it when you are stuck on 60km most of the time around the city? I love it. So many features, feels a bit luxury inside. Outside is super cute and it gets me from A to B and has a big booty when I put the seats down.

Purchased for A$16,500.00.

jibbitperth

KIA Picanto GT turbo

great car pack with lots of great stuff runs really well AAA on petrol I bought it new and the only thing I don't like is the tyers but I will change them otherwise it a great car would not buy it if you have a family but great car for getting around and parking AAA again its fun to drive very happy

Purchased in July 2019 at Magic Kia.

Disgruntled Seshwan

Disgruntled SeshwanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Best compact car of 2019!!

One of the best compact cars around! Very economical on petrol. Packed with many features (Apple CarPlay, electric windows, cruise control, reverse camera view, autonomous emergency braking system and leather seats!) Definite value for money! Ideal little car to get from A to B!

Purchased in June 2018 at Kia Dealers for A$17,500.00.

David M.

David M.South East Queensland, QLD

Bought the Picanto 2019 xline non turbo.

Coming up to 11 months of ownership this little car is a joy to drive. Handles like a go cart around town. Love the style. Great value. Love the Red color. Can be thirsty if pushed. Feature packed inside and out. Could do with an extra 30kw. Overall very pleased, fun factor 10, style 10, warrenty 10.

Purchased in December 2018 for A$19,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Joe

JoeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Value

Impossible to beat in terms of features at this price range. The 1.3L engine purrs along quietly in the city, but is happy to be pushed hard on the freeways (as it must be). Great steering, too. You'll feel every bump on poor roads, however.

Purchased in September 2019 for A$15,198.00.

Nigel

NigelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Little Car

For travelling around the Gold Coast this car is in its element. Easy to park with good visibility. The 4 speed auto and 4 cyl engine are a good combination and while no sports car its perfectly fine around town, easily keeping up with the traffic.
I like its smooth and quiet ride and surprisingly spacious interior. It drives like a bigger car, feels solid on the road.
Equipment wise it wants for nothing (even a front centre armrest) and has all the latest safety features.
The 7 year warranty gives you piece of mind.

Purchased in February 2019 at Kia Dealers for A$19,000.00.

jewel M.

jewel M.Sydney, NSW

Exceptionally practical

Perfect first car, easy to drive and fuel lasts a very long time. I’ve had it for just over a year now and still as good as new! I use it every day to get to and from work, road trips, everything! Very small car but feels like a lot more space inside than what you would think

Purchased in July 2018 at Kia Dealers.

Keep It Real.

Keep It Real.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Hard Too Beat!

Looks Cool, Drives Well, 7 Year Warranty, Amazing value. Surprisingly spacious for a small car and the finish is excellent.
Very hard too go past Kia with the value, warranty, service cost.

Purchased in December 2018 at Berwick Motor Group.

col

colMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Okay.not economical on fuel

Purchased in December 2018 for A$13.00.

Mark Johnson

Mark JohnsonGeraldton , W.A.

Great Car !

I love this car . It so damn cute. It's a real chick magnet and girls love it !. My only concern is the little engine reving it's tiny head off when driving as I like to be ' easy on the engine ' when driving. Otherwise it's awesome

Purchased in November 2018.

Lisa Holt

Lisa HoltSouth East Queensland, QLD

I love this wee beastie!

I drive to work (about 30 mins each way) Monday to Friday. I love that this car just nips in and out of parking. At first I pined the loss of a CD player but have become accustomed to the bluetooth functionality. The boot space (with the seats up) is a little on the small side but drop the back seats down and I constantly amaze myself how much this little car can hold. Economical on fuel, giving me about 500km per tank. I love my little car - you had me a YELLOW.

Purchased in March 2018 at Keystar Morayfield for A$15,000.00.

Year2017

spider

spiderMelbourne

Top Value for Money

Car for commuting, older single person. I also have the latest Subaru XV. So in comparison they are very different vehicles. The Kia is outstanding value for money, Seven year warranty too. All the modern gadgets autonomous braking. Great on fuel, the perfect city car. The Auto Android perfect. Roomy for size, smart looks

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Robbie

RobbieNsw

Awesome little car

Great car ! Cheap on file a full tank last a week with this little thing and my wife travels a lot. The shape and design of this car looks cool, it stands out compaird to other cars in its class.
Its decivingly spacious, I’m 6”1 and fit in and out of it without feeling andlooking like a clown.parking is so easy power steering works well with built in reverse cameras as standard along with a really nice media centre!!!
Value for money is superb I love this little car

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Want to love this car

Date PurchasedAug 2018
jimbob

jimbob

Everyday drive car

I bought my picanto brand new in 2017 to replace my barina spark.well 2 completly different cars.i love the fact for $14000 drive away i get cruise/reverse camera and all the other extras the others want extra for.went to appolo bay last week and used the radio to put google maps on.very good.i travel 200ks a day for work.average speed is 65kph.at the moment with around 50ks around im using 4.3 lp100.it now has 65000ks on it with no problems so far.we like the picanto so much we just bought the wife the picanto gt.wow even better value.do yourselves afavour if your thinking of a small car test drive the picanto

Date PurchasedJun 2017
jezza

jezza

What a great little car.

Just bought a Kia Picanto GT line. What a little ripper. Did i sat little. Its actually quite spacious inside. Got it for the wife but i dont mind driving it myself. Around town and to work its great on petrol and it makes peoples head turn. Very sporty and looks great.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Darren Rees

Darren Reesasked

Picanto

Is anyone else having problems with the Apple CarPlay system in their Kia Piccanto? Mine has NEVER worked and 10 weeks after getting my new car I am getting ZERO help in rectifying this. It is unreliable, frustrating and most of all unsafe! I don’t even use it now ... just have a black screen and my phone between my legs to use for navigation.
Does anyone too have hideous experiences in dealing with Aftercare service and with Customer scare service. In my whole lifetime as a consumer I have never been treated so poorly.
So so disappointed.

TMM- CHE-SYD

TMM- CHE-SYDasked

Picanto

Can someone please explain Kia Picanto's engine in simple terms, my knowledge is limited & seeking opinions, I am looking to drive approx. 100kms per day (Monday to Friday) on a high/motor way . Is the engine powerful enough to do the job? One of my colleague is trying to sell his 2016 Picanto 26k on odometer, he's quoted $10K. Also if I buy from a private seller can I still do the 7 year warranty thing from KIA? It expires in 2022. He used a private mechanic to service the car, not authorised showroom.

Is it worth it or should I get a used Swift around $18k, which is little over my budget. Any suggestions and feedback is welcomed.

jibbit

Only buy a picanto if it’s top of the rang GT turbo as they fly they have a gutsy little GT turbo. And are easy to drive and park great on petrol you have all you need inside too with Apple car play GPS great sound system Cruz control it’s not that big for people to fit in for a long but if it just you it brilliant zippy little car that more than does the job around town and on long trips if only your doing them as I said space ok but would be better if there was more I love my GT turbo as it’s gets me around Perth fast if I need it and comfortable as I only have one person that gets in my car besides me love the Apple car play and the fact I don’t have to touch my phone in my car it will send text and read it too so safe as again only recommending the GT turbo brilliant car

Phillip

I drive mine approx 80km a day (Picanto GT - the turbo model) and it's fine. Both the 1.2L and the 1L Turbo will be fine for the highway but obviously the turbo will be better for overtaking.

Since you're buying a used one for 10k just take it for a drive and see how it goes.

Andrew T.

Andrew T.asked

Picanto

Has anyone experienced front brake noise/grinding sound when braking and coming to a stop?

Phillip

Yes, but I don't believe it's an issue... 6000km later it still sounds the same as when I got it brand new and braking performance is unchanged. The demo car I drove at the time also had the same sound.

I think it's just one of those "cheap car" things.

jibbit

you need to contact kia and ask them as I think it not a cheap car thing I have GT Turbo and its not cheap in looks or the way it performs so ask kia

Compare all 8 Kia Picanto
Max Torque122Nm @ 4000rpm122Nm @ 4000rpm172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm122Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Safety Features
  • Traction Control
  • AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Reversing Camera
  • Traction Control
  • AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Bluetooth Connectivity
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Steering
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017