Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Top Loader

Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Top Loader

1st Gen and 2nd Gen

Do not buy Fisher&Paykel washing machine 10kg

This machine just a rubbish, after starting the machine water start filling for a bout 5mn then the machine lock it's lid and doing nothing, after the lid unlock and I tried to check the machine the water that mixed with power washing all gone. We you want to soak your cloths for a couple hour, the machine always empty the water even i turn off the power. The machine does not do good rinse because cloths smell washing powder very strong. I can not change water level or other program, once i push the pause button the machine will start over again. What's a stupid program they wrote for the machine to perform, never buy Fisher&Paykel again.

Purchased .

Terrible

Lint galore and is shredding my towels

I bought this top loader after having a few front loader issues, and if I could send it back I would. I really dislike this washing machine. It has shredded my towels, no matter what cycle and the lint issue on clothes is ridiculous. Not a fan and am considering getting in touch with Fisher and Paykel, failing that selling it and cutting my losses.

Purchased .

NOISY

Cleans fantastic and in a short time, no tangling of clothes. Rang Fisher Paykel about extreme noise (had top loaders for 40 years this is the noisiest) sent technician out and was told noise was normal. Decided to keep machine as it does wash extremely well.

Purchased at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $897.00.

Noise Level
Very loud!

Disappointed - LINT LINT LINT

Works fine except for the lint. TERRIBLE!! Why didn't they put a lint filter on it????
Unfortunately my parents bought the same machine and have had the same problem.
I have had to get the machine pulled apart FOUR times now to remove large chunks of lint which had blocked the pipe that drains the water out of the machine.
If I didn't have an obliging relative who was able and willing to do this for free them I would have had to cough up at least $200 if not more for some technician to do the same. So far this would have cost me $800!!
Also, it is not nice to wash your clothes and have lint all over everything.
No other problems with the machine.
Would NEVER recommend this to anyone.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Unhappy customer

My machine worked fine for the first 12months but since then I have had nothing but trouble, I have had both boards replaced and still can’t do a load without standing beside my machine and sometimes it can take up to two hours to do a load. It keeps telling me that it’s out of balance even though it isn’t. Anytime I open the machine the timer goes right back to the beginning of the particular cycle adding a lot of time and extra water to the wash, we live in a country area and are in drought so it’s extremely difficult to cope with the amount of water that is wasted during each cycle so needless to say I won’t be replacing my machine with another Fisher paykell machine or recommending it

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good but the lint

We usually wash anything in this machine from the kids dirty clothes to towels, small doonas,heavy blankets. Clothes come out clean but it could be better. The lint is the main problem, it gets on everything. We bought this washer after reading the reviews here and though the lint issue was mentioned we went ahead and bought it. It has been reliable. I love the delay wash function.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Bad machine for pet lovers

This machine is quiet but if you have pet hair on an item of clothing, it will spread it to every garment in the washing machine. My old Simpson washing machine had a lint collector so the clothes came out cleaner than when they went in. Can't afford to replace it as I only just bought it!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

This machine was a bad choice - and I'd love to have my 23yo Whirlpool back

I didn’t really NEED a new washing machine but my old Whirlpool 7kg was 23 years old and I thought it was about time to upgrade even though it still worked just fine. That was not an entirely silly decision but picking this machine was a bad choice. I didn’t like it much in the first few months after buying it but I thought that would change as I got used to it – but No, my opinion hasn’t changed at all. Because there was no urgency for this purchase I shopped around, decided what machine I thought would best suit me, read customer reviews on line etc etc, and waited for the after-Christmas sales. On paper this machine sounded good, especially the “Allergy” cycle with hot wash and two deep rinses, but thank heavens I didn’t pay full price because it’s not worth even the heavily discounted priced I did pay.

It is used for normal domestic purposes for a single person household, but I bought the 7kg size because I have king sized bedlinen and huge bath towels but you can always do a small load in a bigger machine if necessary. The control and wash cycles are pretty good and easy to use, but the instructions to customise some aspects of the cycles seem very complicated. Even if clothes are old, well-worn and frequently washed this machine will often put lint all over a load of washing, people tell me that this is due to water levels too high or too low, but water level seems to make no difference – if it wants to put lint on your washing it does so anyway. It would also be nice if it had a flat lid that you could sit the laundry basket on instead of a sloping lid which deposits the basket on the floor if you don’t put a non-slip mat underneath it.

The main reason I hate this machine is the so-called “feature” of rotating the washbowl while the bowl fills with water – which is supposed to get rid of air bubbles in the clothes, but in fact it does the complete opposite – apart from socks and knickers and other very small items! The other part of this “feature” is that the machine occasionally agitates the load while filling – this will get rid of air IN BETWEEN items but it won’t get rid of air which is trapped INSIDE items because the items are wet even though they are not fully immersed yet. The customer service centre told me that this is “hard-wired” in the machine’s programming and cannot be changed. I think this crazy idea must have been dreamt up by some fresh-faced University graduate who’s never actually done a load of washing and has no idea that when cloth gets wet it holds air. And because the bowl goes round while the machine is filling everything has already got wet and trapped air inside it before the water level gets over the top of items.

So, to overcome this problem I have to fill the machine with water and then put each item in separately, carefully getting the air out as I do so. The machine also fills the clothes with air pockets during the various cycles so that when it fills with rinse water half the clothes are back up at the top and half-out of the water. For each rinse cycle I have to stop the machine, and go and push the clothing back down into the water because the agitation action of this machine only works in one dimension and does not move the clothes down through the water. I now hate doing the washing – because it’s a far more manual (and very irritating) process than with my ancient Whirlpool where all I had to do was put the load in, choose the water level and then come back 30 minutes or so later when it was all finished

There are a couple of positives with this machine – it is very quiet, and the spin cycle is excellent but I’d like to send a message to my 23yo Whirlpool – “please come home – I miss you like crazy”.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Meh

I'd have given it a 5 if there wasnt lint all through my clothing presumably due to washing a faux mink blanket once. I've been doing my own washing since I was 5 years old so I'm like to think I'm pretty good at it. This has never happened with my old Fisher & Paykel or any other brand of washer for that matter. Their customer service is lacking too. I spoke to a very condescending female staff member a month or so ago. Overall, they're pretty sturdy. I had my old f&p washer for like at least 7 years. Still running to this dat I believe Ill have to ask the friend that I gave it to. Washes my clothing really well usually.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Happily Impressed

Recently, my previous Fischer & Paykel 6.5 kg top loader finally gave up after about 18 years of trouble free service. It gave me a few warning signs and sounds over the last 6 months to alert me that there was going to be a major issue sooner rather than later.

So when the time came, I did some research to see what was available for a reasonable price. I was happy to get another Fischer & Paykel product as I was a very satisfied customer. As it turned out, the model I finally settled on was from the same brand. I would of preferred the same capacity but that was no longer available so I went slightly bigger which ultimately will be a benefit when washing bulkier items. It was basically the same dimensions, except for being a couple of centimetres taller.

Within several days I received my new machine. It was expertly installed and tested and since then I have done several washes. My first impression was how quite it was compared to my previous machine. It operates about half a quietly which is a great positive.

The controls are different, very sensitive touch buttons but straightforward to use. A large timer replacing the lights that show at what stage the wash cycle is at.

The cycle times appear very similar and it does a thorough job of washing my loads. I don't use the 1000 rpm spin speed, 700 rpm being sufficient for my needs and again it was quiet and balanced with minimal vibrations.

I realise that things are built more economically these days compared to the distant past but if I get over 10 years of reliable service out of this product I will be more than satisfied.

I am happy to recommend this brand and product.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Don’t buy

Recently purchased this model.This machine will automatically start to empty after 3minutes if you have to put it on pause which is a real nuisance I even turned the machine off but it stilled emptied.Also can’t set for a hot wash on certain cycles.I recommend you don’t purchase this model and find out which other F&P do the same before purchasing.All my other F&P machines which weren’t this model absolutely perfect no trouble at all

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great Machine

Having owned a 8.5 kg Fisher Paykel top loader for some 15 years we didn’t hesitate to buy this machine so glad we did, easy to use controls washes exceptionally well, all types of clothes, yet to wash a large item sure it will handle it Ok Very Happy ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Will not but again.

Bought F&P WashSmart about a year ago as our other F&P washer died. It’s the second time it’s just not turned on, the lights and buttons don’t work.
The first time I could reset it but this time nothing... waiting for a technician to come out and try to fix it.
Except for not being able to turn it on, I haven’t been impressed at all by the machine, it doesn’t wash the clothes properly.
Definitely the last time I would buy a F&P and would not recommend it.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Wonderful Washing Machine

I have always had Fisher & Paykel washing machines and couldn't be happier. I have had this machine for 3 years now and I love it.. Great for washing everything with all the different washing cycles. The only negative is that is that the spinning cycle does take a while to complete, but I usually stop it manually.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Ok machine when it works, but so many problems with it!

Bought this machine a couple of months ago and have had issues ever since.

It gets about 10 minutes into the wash cycle, and will then continually beep until you press pause, and start again.

It seems as though the "lid lock" mechanism is faulty. However, sometimes it will do the complete wash cycle and other times it won't.

We have contacted Fisher & Paykel, and they have said we will need to organise to fix this ourselves.

Another downside is that there is no lint filter.

When it actually works the wash isn't too bad. It's a shame it's been so faulty.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Started off great but quickly went downhill, now next to useless just out of warranty (of course)

Have used Fisher & Paykel appliances for many years previously but they seem to be going down hill with additional electronics they claim are 'smart' but really just create problems and I suspect are engineered for built in obsolescence - seems way too convenient the majority of issues develop at the warranty close out. We've wasted so much water and detergent because the machine wash cycles are now not working at all - wash cycles don't fill to the set water levels, then skips through the run times randomly, cycles don't complete, partly fills then drains and spins out. Give me the old rotary controls any day. Not good enough for a $1000 appliance. A real shame as it was good for the type of washing we needed done but the unpredictability of it and outrageous costs to repair have left permanently damaged my view on Fisher & Paykel as a quality brand.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great for my little family

Great for washing blankets and child's bedding great for my daughter who gets dressed eight times a day great for any growing family I love that it's so easy to use and I haven't had to rip a sock or two out from going in the pipes great work guys love it

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Perfect Machine

All Fisher and Paykel washing machines are fantastic. I bought my new one late last year after having my previous one for 13 years. I wouldn't buy anything other than a Fisher and Paykel as the old one gave me no trouble right up to the last. I have a family of 7 so we have quite a bit of washing and we use most cycles.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Fisher and Paykel is a top brand of washing machine, I have had others but I wouldn't buy anything but a Fisher and Paykel.

Loving the size and functionality

No matter how dirty or delicate my clothes are there is a cycle for everything. The dirty clothes really come out clean and any delicates are not ruined. The clothes need less drying time as the machine spins so fast. My laundry is situated not far from the bedrooms but it is so quiet that I can run it at night and it doesn't disturb anyones sleep.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Fantastic machhe and good value for

I love this machine and have nothing negative to say about it. The cycle times are fine and my woollen as always come out

Date PurchasedSep 2016