Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Top Loader

Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Top Loader

1st Gen and 2nd Gen

Noisy

Purchased 8.5kg top loader ‘washsmart’ machine from Good Guys in Penrith. Specifically asked for a quiet machine. I was not told that there are 3 models in this size. I went in after taping my machine in cycle, to show the manager how noisy is and his suggestion was to call the warranty line number. I did this and was told by service technician that there isn’t anything wrong with machine, it is the type of pump on these machines that is causing all the noise and said there are two other models in 8.5kg (which I was not advised of). I called The Good Guys in Penrith and again spoke to Manager who said this is the first time he has heard a complaint about these machines being noisy and when I told him what service guy advised (that the pumps on these machines are noisy) his reply to me was, I quote, ‘ oh rubbish ‘. How unprofessional ! I told him that as a customer it it your sales teams responsibility to advise a customer of different options, including pumps, etc (that is was they are trained to do). It is their responsibility to give the customer all options, especially when I specifically asked for a QUIET machine. I am now in the process of enquiries with the ACCC. Because, I feel as a customer I was not informed correctly and have done everything in my power, including contacting Fisher Paykel directly. The store manager at The Good Guys said to contact Fisher Paykel to see what they suggest as they cannot replace machine without their authority and Fisher Paykel say it’s up to the store. They are trying to palm the issue off to the other. So how does one get anywhere? Mind you I paid for 5 year warranty. Pathetic. I have had Fisher Paykel products for the last 25 year with no problem ever. But the Manager (not mentioning any names) at The Good Guys penrith was hostile and of no help, nor did he even try to help. Avoid this store as it has Very poor customer service and the staff I dealt with did not sell me a product I asked for, which was a quiet washing machine and avoid this product!

Purchased in March 2019.

Disappointing machine

Bought a fisher and paykel 7kg top load washer for around $750, from Harvey Norman. Only used it around 50 washs over 2 years. Now will not spin, out of balance. Whatever you do, it won't spin. It's on level ground, levelled. Even with nothing in the machine, still out of balance. Will never buy a fisher and paykel appliance again, which is disappointing as I had my last one for 12 years, that's why I bought one again. DO NOT BUY FISHER AND PAYKEL TOP LOAD WASHERS.

30 months of service and the fins on the Agitator broken or have cracks in them

I googled Washmart cracked Agitator and found this review site.

We cam from a front loader that didn't have the capacity we needed and the spin cycle took too long. Harvey Norman recommended this product to us.

The things we liked were the capacity, ability to add an extra item after washing starts filling and wash cycles taking far less than before, but this is comparative to our 5kg frontloader.

The things we didn't like were the lint, damage to clothes, and clothes being tangled and stretched. When you watch it at the start before the lid needs to be locked the

We just put up with it and were more cautious with delicates.

On the weekend I noticed that an agitator fin was almost broken entirely and the other two had major cracks. I called F&P after seeing how many people have reported the same issue and they denied any knowledge of it being an issue. They say it is outside warranty.

I should have purchased the Kleenmaid or spent a little more for a front loader.

Purchased in October 2016 at Harvey Norman for $1,139.00.

Noisy water pump WashSmart Wa8560G1

service chap came out as I rang fisher and paykel complaining about the noise it makes as I have always had these washings machines because they have been very quite machine not so this one very upset about all the chap could say was these new machine have a very noisey pump I will not be buying a Fisher and Paykel washing machine ever again not happy I could not rate this machine it is that noisey.

Purchased in March 2019.

VERY IMPRESSED INDEED

I've owned a MYTAG for over 34 years and when it finally died I couldn't consider buying a cheap unit but replacement was too expensive and reviews weren't that good so when looking for more affordable ones I was confused as the reviews didn't help much either so I've decided to buy a F & P WA1068G1 10kg and write about it so I could help others to make up their main. Yes my wife loves it, super quite, lots of good features, looks well made and the results are incredible. I would highly recommend this machine to anybody considering buying same as I used to have or the other one that I think is over prized. What we are really paying is for "the name" Mine cost me half the price including 6 years warranty. Definitely very impressed.

Purchased in January 2019 at JB HIFI Carseldine, QLD for $1,150.00.

I liked it. I’m sure all you other folks will too!

I liked this, it was better than what I had before. Cleans well plus being a tradie it helps when something does it’s job so I would recommend it to anyone

Purchased in August 2018 for $600.00.

nothing but problem

Since we bought this washing machine we have experienced nothing but problems. It keeps on shaking and unbalancing all the time. Very disappointed and will not recommend buying fisher and paykel washing machine. The price is very expensive and it's not worth it.

Purchased in January 2013.

Do not buy Fisher&Paykel washing machine 10kg

This machine just a rubbish, after starting the machine water start filling for a bout 5mn then the machine lock it's lid and doing nothing, after the lid unlock and I tried to check the machine the water that mixed with power washing all gone. We you want to soak your cloths for a couple hour, the machine always empty the water even i turn off the power. The machine does not do good rinse because cloths smell washing powder very strong. I can not change water level or other program, once i push the pause button the machine will start over again. What's a stupid program they wrote for the machine to perform, never buy Fisher&Paykel again.

Purchased in August 2017.

Lint galore and is shredding my towels

I bought this top loader after having a few front loader issues, and if I could send it back I would. I really dislike this washing machine. It has shredded my towels, no matter what cycle and the lint issue on clothes is ridiculous. Not a fan and am considering getting in touch with Fisher and Paykel, failing that selling it and cutting my losses.

Purchased in April 2018.

NOISY

Cleans fantastic and in a short time, no tangling of clothes. Rang Fisher Paykel about extreme noise (had top loaders for 40 years this is the noisiest) sent technician out and was told noise was normal. Decided to keep machine as it does wash extremely well.

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $897.00.

Disappointed - LINT LINT LINT

Works fine except for the lint. TERRIBLE!! Why didn't they put a lint filter on it????
Unfortunately my parents bought the same machine and have had the same problem.
I have had to get the machine pulled apart FOUR times now to remove large chunks of lint which had blocked the pipe that drains the water out of the machine.
If I didn't have an obliging relative who was able and willing to do this for free them I would have had to cough up at least $200 if not more for some technician to do the same. So far this would have cost me $800!!
Also, it is not nice to wash your clothes and have lint all over everything.
No other problems with the machine.
Would NEVER recommend this to anyone.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Unhappy customer

My machine worked fine for the first 12months but since then I have had nothing but trouble, I have had both boards replaced and still can’t do a load without standing beside my machine and sometimes it can take up to two hours to do a load. It keeps telling me that it’s out of balance even though it isn’t. Anytime I open the machine the timer goes right back to the beginning of the particular cycle adding a lot of time and extra water to the wash, we live in a country area and are in drought so it’s extremely difficult to cope with the amount of water that is wasted during each cycle so needless to say I won’t be replacing my machine with another Fisher paykell machine or recommending it

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good but the lint

We usually wash anything in this machine from the kids dirty clothes to towels, small doonas,heavy blankets. Clothes come out clean but it could be better. The lint is the main problem, it gets on everything. We bought this washer after reading the reviews here and though the lint issue was mentioned we went ahead and bought it. It has been reliable. I love the delay wash function.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Bad machine for pet lovers

This machine is quiet but if you have pet hair on an item of clothing, it will spread it to every garment in the washing machine. My old Simpson washing machine had a lint collector so the clothes came out cleaner than when they went in. Can't afford to replace it as I only just bought it!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

This machine was a bad choice - and I'd love to have my 23yo Whirlpool back

I didn’t really NEED a new washing machine but my old Whirlpool 7kg was 23 years old and I thought it was about time to upgrade even though it still worked just fine. That was not an entirely silly decision but picking this machine was a bad choice. I didn’t like it much in the first few months after buying it but I thought that would change as I got used to it – but No, my opinion hasn’t changed at all. Because there was no urgency for this purchase I shopped around, decided what machine I thought would best suit me, read customer reviews on line etc etc, and waited for the after-Christmas sales. On paper this machine sounded good, especially the “Allergy” cycle with hot wash and two deep rinses, but thank heavens I didn’t pay full price because it’s not worth even the heavily discounted priced I did pay.

It is used for normal domestic purposes for a single person household, but I bought the 7kg size because I have king sized bedlinen and huge bath towels but you can always do a small load in a bigger machine if necessary. The control and wash cycles are pretty good and easy to use, but the instructions to customise some aspects of the cycles seem very complicated. Even if clothes are old, well-worn and frequently washed this machine will often put lint all over a load of washing, people tell me that this is due to water levels too high or too low, but water level seems to make no difference – if it wants to put lint on your washing it does so anyway. It would also be nice if it had a flat lid that you could sit the laundry basket on instead of a sloping lid which deposits the basket on the floor if you don’t put a non-slip mat underneath it.

The main reason I hate this machine is the so-called “feature” of rotating the washbowl while the bowl fills with water – which is supposed to get rid of air bubbles in the clothes, but in fact it does the complete opposite – apart from socks and knickers and other very small items! The other part of this “feature” is that the machine occasionally agitates the load while filling – this will get rid of air IN BETWEEN items but it won’t get rid of air which is trapped INSIDE items because the items are wet even though they are not fully immersed yet. The customer service centre told me that this is “hard-wired” in the machine’s programming and cannot be changed. I think this crazy idea must have been dreamt up by some fresh-faced University graduate who’s never actually done a load of washing and has no idea that when cloth gets wet it holds air. And because the bowl goes round while the machine is filling everything has already got wet and trapped air inside it before the water level gets over the top of items.

So, to overcome this problem I have to fill the machine with water and then put each item in separately, carefully getting the air out as I do so. The machine also fills the clothes with air pockets during the various cycles so that when it fills with rinse water half the clothes are back up at the top and half-out of the water. For each rinse cycle I have to stop the machine, and go and push the clothing back down into the water because the agitation action of this machine only works in one dimension and does not move the clothes down through the water. I now hate doing the washing – because it’s a far more manual (and very irritating) process than with my ancient Whirlpool where all I had to do was put the load in, choose the water level and then come back 30 minutes or so later when it was all finished

There are a couple of positives with this machine – it is very quiet, and the spin cycle is excellent but I’d like to send a message to my 23yo Whirlpool – “please come home – I miss you like crazy”.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Meh

I'd have given it a 5 if there wasnt lint all through my clothing presumably due to washing a faux mink blanket once. I've been doing my own washing since I was 5 years old so I'm like to think I'm pretty good at it. This has never happened with my old Fisher & Paykel or any other brand of washer for that matter. Their customer service is lacking too. I spoke to a very condescending female staff member a month or so ago. Overall, they're pretty sturdy. I had my old f&p washer for like at least 7 years. Still running to this dat I believe Ill have to ask the friend that I gave it to. Washes my clothing really well usually.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Happily Impressed

Recently, my previous Fischer & Paykel 6.5 kg top loader finally gave up after about 18 years of trouble free service. It gave me a few warning signs and sounds over the last 6 months to alert me that there was going to be a major issue sooner rather than later.

So when the time came, I did some research to see what was available for a reasonable price. I was happy to get another Fischer & Paykel product as I was a very satisfied customer. As it turned out, the model I finally settled on was from the same brand. I would of preferred the same capacity but that was no longer available so I went slightly bigger which ultimately will be a benefit when washing bulkier items. It was basically the same dimensions, except for being a couple of centimetres taller.

Within several days I received my new machine. It was expertly installed and tested and since then I have done several washes. My first impression was how quite it was compared to my previous machine. It operates about half a quietly which is a great positive.

The controls are different, very sensitive touch buttons but straightforward to use. A large timer replacing the lights that show at what stage the wash cycle is at.

The cycle times appear very similar and it does a thorough job of washing my loads. I don't use the 1000 rpm spin speed, 700 rpm being sufficient for my needs and again it was quiet and balanced with minimal vibrations.

I realise that things are built more economically these days compared to the distant past but if I get over 10 years of reliable service out of this product I will be more than satisfied.

I am happy to recommend this brand and product.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Don’t buy

Recently purchased this model.This machine will automatically start to empty after 3minutes if you have to put it on pause which is a real nuisance I even turned the machine off but it stilled emptied.Also can’t set for a hot wash on certain cycles.I recommend you don’t purchase this model and find out which other F&P do the same before purchasing.All my other F&P machines which weren’t this model absolutely perfect no trouble at all

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great Machine

Having owned a 8.5 kg Fisher Paykel top loader for some 15 years we didn’t hesitate to buy this machine so glad we did, easy to use controls washes exceptionally well, all types of clothes, yet to wash a large item sure it will handle it Ok Very Happy ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Will not but again.

Bought F&P WashSmart about a year ago as our other F&P washer died. It’s the second time it’s just not turned on, the lights and buttons don’t work.
The first time I could reset it but this time nothing... waiting for a technician to come out and try to fix it.
Except for not being able to turn it on, I haven’t been impressed at all by the machine, it doesn’t wash the clothes properly.
Definitely the last time I would buy a F&P and would not recommend it.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

I have one of these haven’t used for 13mths plugged in beeps continuously and won’t work

During spin cycle machine stops half way while draining water.
possible drain pump faulty and overheats, washer senses and cuts power. If pump winding is hot, faulty pump

Hi my f&p top loader will start a cycle then stop and flash hot and cold lights. The lines are clean and hot and cold water are flowing. Fine. When filling it does sound like it switches from hot to cold (I'm assuming) but one sounds to be a lot stronger coming in than the other. I can press skip or start to continue the wash. Though if I just press start it will likely repeat stopping and beeping till I press skip. It mainly happens in the long cycle (first 3 lights) and then on the second last stage? On occasion it may stop once or others it may stop 10+ times. Thanks
Hot and cold reversed?

WashSmart WA8560G1 (8.5kg)WashSmart WA8560E1 (8.5kg)WashSmart WA1068G1 (10kg)WashSmart WA7560E1 (7.5kg)WashSmart WA7060G2 (7kg)WashSmart WA55T56GW1 (5.5kg)WashSmart WA65T60GW1 (6.5kg)WashSmart WA7060G1 (7kg)WashSmart WA70T60GW1 (7kg)WashSmart WA75T65GW1 (7.5kg)WashSmart WA80T65GW1 (8kg)WashSmart WA7060E1 (7kg)WashSmart WA8060E1 (8kg)WashSmart WA8060G1 (8kg)
Price (RRP) $999$1,099$1,399$949$849
Capacity8.5 kg8.5 kg10 kg7.5 kg7 kg
FeaturesAuto Balancing, Auto Dispense and Door/Lid Lock (Child-proof)Auto Balancing, Auto Dispense and Door/Lid Lock (Child-proof)Auto Balancing, Auto Dispense and Door/Lid Lock (Child-proof)Auto Balancing, Auto Dispense and Door/Lid Lock (Child-proof)Auto Balancing, Auto Dispense and Door/Lid Lock (Child-proof)
Energy Rating2.5 star(s)4 star(s)4 star(s)4 star(s)2 star(s)
Water Rating3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)
Household Size 3-4 people3-4 people5+ people2-3 people2-3 people
Drum MaterialStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless Steel
Colour / Finish WhiteWhiteWhiteWhiteWhite
Dimensions 1045-1075 x 600 x 600 mm1045-1075 x 600 x 600 mm1060-1090 x 685 x 700 mm1045-1075 x 600 x 600 mm1075 x 600 x 600 mm
Motor TypeSmartDriveSmartDriveSmartDriveSmartDriveSmartDrive
Max Spin Speed 1,000 rpm1,100 rpm1,100 rpm1,100 rpm1,000 rpm
Number of Spin Speeds33333
Number of Wash Cycles66666
MechanismAgitatorAgitatorAgitatorAgitatorAgitator
Open Lid Height 1,350 mm1,350 mm1,420 mm1,350 mm1,380 mm
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Replaced byFisher & Paykel WashSmart WA65T60GW1 (6.5kg)Fisher & Paykel WashSmart WA70T60GW1 (7kg)Fisher & Paykel WashSmart WA80T65GW1 (8kg)

Download manual