Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Front Loader

Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Front Loader

WH7560P2 (7.5kg), WH8060P2 (8.0kg) and WH8560P2 (8.5kg)

Met all of our requirements

Our requirements were a quiet front loader with hot and cold water inlets and good ratings for water and energy use. Having had our trusty but noisy Hoover for 23 years, we were surprised to find that most machines now only have a cold inlet.
Being environmentally conscious, and knowing nothing about washing machines with inbuilt heaters, we looked for info about how a cold water inlet works. The main factor there was that we have both a solar hot water system and a 1.5kW photovoltaic system.
With plenty of sunshine in Perth, and a household consisting of two adults, we seldom need to boost the hot water. And there was an additional incentive in that we still have a year to go on the 40 cents per unit feed-in subsidy that came with our PV system in 2010.
We found very little helpful discussion online regarding the perceived value of a machine with a hot water inlet. Some people asked questions about the energy cost savings that might stem from having the two inlets but those who responded mostly advocated cold water washes or debated how far a washing machine is usually positioned from a hot water system.
Despite doing a lot of research, we were none the wiser as to which would be more energy efficient. But, because we generally use the washing machine when the PV panels are not getting sunlight, we decided to stick with a hot water inlet. We also decided to run our laundry tap until the water is hot, as we do for showers, before starting the washing machine. We only need to run off about four litres, putting the water into bottles to use on pot plants.
So, having decided to go for a hot water inlet, we looked at what people were saying about the front loaders that have the two inlets. Again, the online comments were either not particularly helpful or not relevant to our needs. There was enough there, however, to provide guidance. The Best rated Front Loader in Product Review’s “Washing Machine Buying Guide” was the Fisher & Paykel 7.5kg Quicksmart WH7560J3, but it has only a cold water inlet. The company’s WH7560P2 7.5kg WashSmart is similar but has a hot water inlet. The difference in Product Review star rating was barely noticeable. The advertised prices were higher than those cited in the reviews published at the start of 2019 but lower than a more recent one.
The machine has lived up to all of our expectations: very quiet, easy to use, easy on fabrics, and no residue from suds. Plus, buying it from Appliances Online meant that it was delivered and installed free of charge, with the old machine taken away as part of the deal. And lastly, when it came to registering the warranty, there is a convenient plate on the front of the machine with all the necessary details. The last page of manual tells you that, but we only saw it after we’d moved the machine away from the wall to look at the plate on the back!

Purchased in August 2019 at Appliances Online for $799.00.

Love this machine!

This machine is so easy to use. I mainly use the everyday cycle for most washes which only takes an hour. I like the additional functions which allow you to customise your cycle by adding/reducing your wash time, changing the spin, changing temperature or adding additional rinses. I have used the bulky items cycle to wash duvets and they came out like new.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman for $867.00.

Noise Level

Water, energy and time efficient, lots of functions and super quiet

I recently bought this machine to replace a 6.5kg Simpson top loader that malfunctioned and caused a flood in my house. The situation was painful (having water damaged floors, dealing with home insurance inspectors, negotiating with extended warranty company staff, delivery delays...), but this machine has been one amazing silver lining!
The 8kg frontload WashSmart by F&P is fantastic. I've been using it 2-3 times a week to wash the usual culprits - clothing (office clothes, delicates, synthetics & sportswear, denim & cottons), sheets, towels etc. It's gentle on my clothes and has a huge variety of functions that can be adjusted based on each unique load of clothing being washed. The cycle times range from around 2hrs for a bulky/heavily soiled load, to a 15-30min rapid wash. The everyday cycle is great at about one hour. The machine is really quiet and really efficient - in each wash it uses less water and energy to wash a larger load of clothes than my old machine.
This machine has also been steadily removing 3.5 years worth of lint from my clothes, sheets and towels that the old machine seemed to generate out of nowhere with every single wash (the old machine's lint filter was useless despite my cleaning it weekly...).
The only down-side to this machine is that it JUST fits in my European laundry, once the hoses and depth of the door are taken into account.
So far I'm really happy with this front load washing machine from F&P and would highly recommend it.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $799.00.

Laundry Swimming Lessons, Flippers Required, Snorkel Optional

We use the Everyday or Heavy Wash settings the most and we wash every day. We are gardeners and get real grubby. The machine does a pretty good job of keeping our work clothes as clean as possible. It gets a flogging. Warning: the 15 minute super quick cycle WILL flood your laundry. Make sure you have flippers, old towels and a mop and bucket on stand by. The flooding doesn't happen on any other cycle. The cycle times are ok but the machine does get loud on the two settings we use most. It has great capacity. We wash blankets etc and haven't had an issue.

Purchased at Kambo's.

Fantastic Washing Machine

I wash all types of clothes in my washing machine. Delicate, wool. blankets, clothes, my husband working around the house and garden clothes, cleaning cloths, etc. As our new home has a full bench top in the laundry, I had to change the previous top loader with a front loader. I have always heard that front loaders give a lot of problems and are not as good as the top loaders but for my surprise, this machine is absolutely fantastic. It is fast, quiet and there are settings for all my different needs.
What impressed us more than anything is that we had things in storage boxes for a couple of years and my sheet sets were no longer white but yellowish. I have used the setting for heavy soiled clothes and it is a long wash but they came out of the machine completely shiny white. Did not expect that! We agreed here in the house that it is our "washing machine from TV commercials" one as just like in the adds, the clothes enter dirty and stained and come out sparkling white!
Very impressed.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

Noise Level

Large, quiet and lots of settings

This washing machine is excellent. You can fill with large loads and still get a good quality wash - even on the 'cold' water setting. It washes well with liquid or powder. It runs quietly. I like the control you can get with wash time, temperature and spin speed. It also handles delicates well, although I would recommend putting anything too fragile into a bag first. It looks great next to the matching WashSmart dryer too!

Reasonable performance

We wash a range of clothes from delicates to heavily soiled, using most wash cycles up to 40 degrees in temperature. Often with pre-wash setting. Machine functions are varied, flexible and easy to program. Cycle times are flexible but we generally find we have to wash on longer cycles to get clothes adequately clean. However, this may be the detergent not the machine.
The biggest drawback is the drain and spin cycle which usually initiates with 8 minutes left on the clock. It can sit at this 8 minute point for many minutes (can be 5 minutes or more). before it proceeds to spin. Presumably checking if the load is balanced before spinning because if the load is heavy and unbalanced it takes quite some time to work this out and tell us. Therefore, the 8 minutes remaining can often stretch to 10 or 15 minutes.

Purchased in May 2019 at Appliances Online for $1,100.00.

Noise Level

Quiet and stable, good features

So far so good. We chose this 8.5kg washer because it has a few more features than the 7.5kg. It also covers us if we end up with larger loads in the future. The machine runs very quiet and doesn't move around at all. We initially considered the Bosch, but we didn't like the way the settings worked and found it confusing. The F&P washer is very intuitive and straight forward to use.

Clothes come up great. T-shirts don't seem to twist and delicates are handled well. The spin cycle seems to do a good job of getting most of the water out, which obviously reduces drying time compared to some other machines.

Besides that, it looks great and we got it for a good deal through a clearance sale.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $650.00.

Noise Level

Washing machine Not a good quality.

Now with the 3rd year Washing machine LED display not working so I don't know which mode is washing machine working on. You pay top dollars for a Quality product and within first 3 years these machines don't work properly.

I am very disappointed with Fisher and Paykel. First machine I brought worked for 13 years without any problem but it was a Top loader and never had issues. with the new technology I was impressed but quality is Cheap Cheap cheap.....

I brought Dryer and the washing machine same time and within 1 year Dryer started to squeak and after 3 attempts it is still not fixed.

Don't buy these machines unless you want to spend on their service as soon as the warranty is finished.

Purchased in July 2016 at The Good Guys.

Good but sloooooooooooooooow

I bought this about a month ago after my 7 year old Hoover died.

So far I'm very happy with it. It is amazingly quiet, even when spinning at 1400 rpm. It has a nice range of wash options, and clothes come out clean.

The only disappointment for me is that the normal wash cycle is over two hours, and unlike my old Hoover, it doesn't sense if you put in a smaller load and wash for less time. Same with the "spin only" function. My old Hoover did that in 7 minutes - this one takes over 20! Also the manual recommends the "eco" cycle, but that takes over 3 hours!!!

If you don't mind waiting for hours on end for your washing, this is the way to go.

Purchased in July 2019 at Appliances Online for $867.00.

Dryer TypeFisher & Paykel 6kg DE60F60EW1

Great

Water saving. Nice design. Washes great. Option of a quick 15 or 30min quick wash. Can also open mid cycle and use the option of adding another piece of clothing

Purchased in October 2018 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

perfect

Like everything about this front loader WH7560P2
It is so quiet, washes well, and so easy to use, I like that it uses less water than most and great results for stains.

That good, bought another for our daughter

Used for all washing, including Linen dresses, mens work clothes, dress pants , all underwear. very quiet quick and efficient, previous samsung washer dryer only lasted 1 year. Hope to get 10 years out of it.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $1,100.00.

Great affordable washing machine

Purchased as a replacement to a 20 year old Westinghouse toploader and is a great improvement. The washing machine is quiet in operation but the default recommended wash settings take quite a long time (eg. 2 hours for clothes). The timer is also inconsistent as the everyday option states 1 hour but takes more than 1.5 hours. The delay functionality is a big time saver being able to load the machine up and finish a load upon waking up. The machine handles all types of clothing and linen well with no noticeable colour loss for clothes and not too much tangle.

Purchased in March 2019 at Winning Appliances for $759.00.

Excellent Machine

The most water efficient I believe. Does take loooong to complete the cycle but we are happy with the wash quality. Overall very happy with our decision. We bought a much expensive one for another extended family house and they are unhappy for that machine which costed 500 bucks more than this one. Didn't find it that noisy either. Recommended model.

Purchased in January 2019.

Noise Level

Fantastic washer. Can't fault it.

Best washer I've ever purchased. Very easy to use. Like it has a key lock function so the kids can't play with the setting when it is turned on. Also like the add a garment.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bing Lee Physical store for $949.00.

Takes for Ever

Really tired of this machine. Run it on an hour cycle and 90 mins later it still has 20 mins to go. 10 mins later it still has 20 mins to go. The best way to run it is to turn it off after wash cycle, change cycle to rinse, then change cycle to spin, which defeats the purpose of having an auto washing machine.

Purchased in April 2018.

Received faulty

Delivered to my new house on Friday and tested it today, and I'm sorry to say I'm very disappointed.
I put in 3 bed sheets and away I went to do something else. I then heard loud banging noises coming from the laundry, so quickly went to have a look. The washer was shaking violently and banging into my brand new wall. I'll be calling F & P tomorrow to see how the aftersales customer service.
I'm hoping to receive a brand new replacement and not a lemon. The F & P heat pump dryer I bought as well works well works though, however the buttom plastic part doesn't clip in and hangs out. 2 items, 2 issues. Really?

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $899.00.

Noise Level

Excellent washer. Can't imagine my life without it.

We bought this 8.5kg front loader after checking on the online reviews and now I can't imagine my life without it.

It has 8.5 kg washing capacity which is such a bonus for a family of five and clothes come out very clean.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for $860.00.

Great Washer - Just love it

No doubt, this is a great machine. For several years past I have owned top loaders, but I am short in stature and find difficulty in reaching the bottom of the tubs. Decided to go for a front loader which also fits better into my tiny laundry. I was in awe looking at all the models at Harvey Norman and decided on the 8kg WH8060P2 which is a wash smart. I just loved the high speed spin drying - dried my clothes a treat and the auto water levels - saves a lot of guess work. A huge bonus is the fact that the clothes do not entangle. The dial pictures illuminate and I think it would be a good idea if the wording illuminated, better for sight impaired people. Not a game changer though, just have to wear specs. My laundry now looks uncluttered with the lovely design of this machine. Just love it and wish I could now afford the dryer as a companion.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $799.00.