Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Front Loader

Fisher & Paykel WashSmart Front Loader

2nd Gen and 1st Gen

Takes for Ever

Really tired of this machine. Run it on an hour cycle and 90 mins later it still has 20 mins to go. 10 mins later it still has 20 mins to go. The best way to run it is to turn it off after wash cycle, change cycle to rinse, then change cycle to spin, which defeats the purpose of having an auto washing machine.

Purchased in April 2018.

Received faulty

Delivered to my new house on Friday and tested it today, and I'm sorry to say I'm very disappointed.
I put in 3 bed sheets and away I went to do something else. I then heard loud banging noises coming from the laundry, so quickly went to have a look. The washer was shaking violently and banging into my brand new wall. I'll be calling F & P tomorrow to see how the aftersales customer service.
I'm hoping to receive a brand new replacement and not a lemon. The F & P heat pump dryer I bought as well works well works though, however the buttom plastic part doesn't clip in and hangs out. 2 items, 2 issues. Really?

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $899.00.

Noise Level

Excellent washer. Can't imagine my life without it.

We bought this 8.5kg front loader after checking on the online reviews and now I can't imagine my life without it.

It has 8.5 kg washing capacity which is such a bonus for a family of five and clothes come out very clean.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for $860.00.

Great Washer - Just love it

No doubt, this is a great machine. For several years past I have owned top loaders, but I am short in stature and find difficulty in reaching the bottom of the tubs. Decided to go for a front loader which also fits better into my tiny laundry. I was in awe looking at all the models at Harvey Norman and decided on the 8kg WH8060P2 which is a wash smart. I just loved the high speed spin drying - dried my clothes a treat and the auto water levels - saves a lot of guess work. A huge bonus is the fact that the clothes do not entangle. The dial pictures illuminate and I think it would be a good idea if the wording illuminated, better for sight impaired people. Not a game changer though, just have to wear specs. My laundry now looks uncluttered with the lovely design of this machine. Just love it and wish I could now afford the dryer as a companion.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $799.00.

Love love love

After much deliberation and research I decided to go for the Fisher & Paykal Washsmart machine as well as the matching clothes dryer. Awesome product, easy to use and very appealing! The machine is super quiet, wouldn't even wake a baby! Love the different functions.

Purchased in March 2019.

Noise Level

Front loader with hot & cold water inlets

We bought this 7.5kg front loader after checking on the reviews to replace our 15 years old 5.5kg Whirlpool Italy made front loader. We bought it from Retravision Cannington with free delivery, free installation and also free removal of the old machine as Retravision matched Appliance Online deal.

We selected this brand as this model has hot and cold water inlets for using the solar hart. It has a lot features including add a garment after the machine has started washing. The washing capacity is big enough for us and our clothes are very clean. It is also quiet during spinning cycle. We are very happy with our purchase.

Purchased in January 2019 at RetraVision for $663.00.

Great Machine

Wanted a top loader but that wouldn’t open properly.
So I purchased the 8.5 kg smartwash.
A larger front loader at a regular width.
Fairly silent and has a great delayed start.
Very happy.

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for $1,050.00.

Dryer TypeFisher & Payless 7kg

Always clean

Have never owned a front loader
Had no idea it saves you so much water and clothes come out super clean even with the quick cycle (30min)
It’s easy to operate and the machine tells you when it needs a drum clean. When this happens all you need to do is turn the dial to drum clean and the machine will do the rest!

Purchased in January 2018 for $900.00.

Noise Level

Impressive, high quality, easy to use, would purchase again

We purchased this washing machine 30/12/16 and have been very happy with it.
Very easy to use, quiet and cleans well.
Like others have been reporting we use the Everyday wash cycle for mosts washes which only takes 60 minutes and have been using 30 minute Quick wash cycle for towels and bed sheets.
For two and a bit years only bit of maintenance I have to do is clear filter at bottom of machine of my sons lego bits.
Would recommend this washing machine and would purchase another one.

Purchased in December 2016 at Appliancesonline for $709.00.

Very poor quality product

We purchased this machine having had good experiences with other Fisher and Paykel products. Drum bearing collapsed after only 3 1/2 years of normal family of 4 use. We wash only normal family clothes no more than 3 to 4 times a week. Technician cost $120 (which is outrageous by the way) to come out to diagnose the problem and confirmed that it is a workshop fix that will cost over $500. Will definitely not be buying another one. I would expect to get a lot longer than 3.5 years out of this type of product.

Purchased in May 2015 for $750.00.

Noise Level
Update on this situation. We contacted Fisher and Paykel Customer Service to express how disappointed we were with this product. To their credit they responded quickly and have offered to replace the machine with a brand new second generation machine for a nominal amount. Their customer service is excellent and they have acted quickly so that we didn't go and purchase a new washing machine before they responded. Well done Fisher and Paykel. It certainly has restored some confidence in their brand. We will see how the product goes over time. When it worked the machine was actually quite good.

Great Machine

Can't complain! This is a great machine that washes our clothes well and with minimal noise. The everyday mode is our go to and we love that you can delay the start. I put them clothes in first thing and delay so they'll be finishing up when I get home for my lunch break to hang them out. It's also a really fast wash, so I can do load after load on a warm weekend.

Haven't had any issues and it's also a great looking machine.

Purchased in August 2018 at Betta Home Living for $888.00.

Noise Level

Great washing machine, very happy!

I've had this washing machine since Feb 2017 and it hasn't missed a beat. Cleans really well, it has a variety of different cleaning cycles, I love the 15 and 30 min cycle for quickly refreshing clothing, love the wrinkle free option when washing shirts (especially if it finishes when you're not home to hang the shirts up straight away). Love the option to add items after the wash cycle has started (this is truly life changing with front loaders!) You can select different water temperatures, different spin cycles, add an extra rinse or extra wash for any of the pre-programmed cycles, set the timer so the washing is done when you need it to be done. Love that is uses small amounts of water. It cleans the clothing well, and the spin is excellent. If you are having trouble with the spin cycle taking too long, it could be because your machine isn't level - this is really important as the first time we used it our wonky floor made the machine out of balance, but once we readjusted the feet it didn't miss a beat. Highly recommend this machine!

Purchased in February 2017.

Noise Level

Spin cycle never resolves, F&P don't care

I am so annoyed with this machine. It actually cleans really well, and has great cycle options. However, it has a major flaw. The spin cycle gets stuck at various intervals, but particularly on 8 minutes. It will not complete, or get to sufficient speed to drain the load. It can stay at 8 minutes for 20 minutes or more. My whole cycle can take 45 minutes or longer than the estimated time. Many times my 1hr10m cycle took 3 hours. My P1 model did it, so (after a long, tiring dispute) I got it replaced, and my P2 model is doing exactly the same thing!

I was so disappointed with F&P service. The first time I complained they told me that if it didn't perform the fault when they came to visit, I'd be charged the full service fee (despite that I had photos and diary of cycle times). Then they told me that if it took longer than the displayed time, that is was an 'acceptable variance'. Yeah! After a full week of work, putting the washing on at 7am to hang it out and go out for the day, to wait until 10am. Not acceptable! When the technician came he told me my loads were either too heavy, or too light. Eventually he admitted and could see the problem, but made me feel very mistrusted in the process. Today, I have a generous half load, quite 'normal' and I'm sitting here waiting for my machine.

Here's the SNEAKY part: the technician told me he would write a report saying the fault could not be repaired and send it to product care (as it was out of warranty). Weeks went by and I called product care, and they had not received the report. I called F&P who said, 'there's no report here and we'll have to send another technician to confirm the fault again, as too much time has lapsed, and you may have to pay for that visit'. I called product care again, and they offered to call F&P. And MAGICALLY, they found the report instantly and sent it through. I have no respect for those kind of tactics, and did not think F&P were that kind of company.

Now I have the same problem with my new machcine, and get to waste all my time and energy dealing with F&P again!

Purchased in August 2018.

Excellent washing machine

This machine is great for a family. It fits a large amount of clothes and has a good variety of cycles. The spin cycle is excellent and clothes finish almost dry. The drum clean is a good feature. The best feature is the add garment which can be activated at any time.

Purchased in January 2016 at Harvey Norman.

Front loader

Very happy with my new front loader, washes better, lot of cycles to choose from, very good star ratings. You can pause to put more washing in it. Only problem is as all front loaders don't like towels, solved my problem, bought bamboo towels , give a shake before putting on line n result is nice soft towels

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Super quiet, great settings

This washing machine does intact wash smart. It has load size settings, various temperatures, different timed cycles which I especially love if I need something washed and dried in an hour I can use the 15 minute super fast wash and then dry in the air dryer. It has a brilliant “add garment” setting so you can stop part way through the cycle and add a missed item. It’s so very quiet; mine lives in a laundry cupboard in our kitchen and I forget I’ve put it on until a couple of unobtrusive beeps at the end of the cycle. This is my first Fisher & Paykel after having LG machines, and I’m so pleased. Great purchase and highly recommended.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Silent bliss

This is my first front loader, I’ve never had a modern washing machine before. It’s nice and quite for apartment living in comparison to top loaders. My only issue is how front loaders change the texture of towels. It makes them rough for some reason. The add garment function is great, if want to stop the cycle to add more clothes.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

I love my washing machine

My washing machine has a large variety of programs to choose from, suits just about any fabric, there is even a special cycle for your gym clothes and also it has a gentle cycle for baby clothes, and a program for your Donna. The fact that you can stop it during the cycle is a great boost.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

I'am a convert to Front Loaders

Great machine very easy to use
Plenty of washing cycle options
Cleans clothes as good as a top loader if not better.
Very effective spin cycle.
Ive read some reviews with people complaining about the length of the drainage hose, which i found not to be a problem as long as the drainage point is in the adjacent cupboard . I think the problem people are having is they are failing to unclip the drainage hose from the back of the machine .

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Great

I bought this a year ago and I love it. Very easy to use with turn dial and easy to read functions. Everyday wash cycle just under 60 minutes and great spin speed. however lately ive noticed it may need a clean usually put dark clothes in the washing machine , I'm very satisfied with the product's controls and its performance when I apply different settings.

Date PurchasedOct 2016