Ford Everest

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great vehicle that rates 4.9/5.0 (One sensor failure that dropped it from a 5.)

Bought this vehicle new in September 2017 as a tug for the van and a family transport/recreation vehicle I did not buy it as a hard core bush basher. It had not given one ounce of trouble till last month when it failed to start soon after fueling. I booked it in for maintenance but couldn't get in for a week. Long before this, it had failed three more times. I got an urgent appointment with my local Ford dealers (Klosters Raymond Terrace who see the car once a year for a service) and on arrival there, it wouldn't start when they went to take it around into their service bay It was diagnosed as a cam angle sensor malfunction and this was replaced that same day. All their Service personnel were great, they diagnosed the fault and fixed it that same day, no grumbles no issues. I have had no problems since. (As an aside, my previous 4x4 also had a cam angle sensor failure and it took 2 weeks just to get the parts from the USA . Two weeks haven't these guys heard of air parcel freight?)
I was and am getting 9.2 litres/100 from the Everest and it tows my 20 ft van absolutely effortlessly, and passes a number of the more popular Japanese tugs with their vans on hilly sections of the highway. Daughter and Son-in-Law recon the 2rd row seats are comfy, and the grand kids say the 3nd row seats are also. I looked long and hard before making my choice and narrowed the possibilities down from 5 serious contenders. I am really happy with the car both on and off road, both towing and not. However off road is where the Everest really shines and it behaves impeccably, it is great on sand, and on bush-land gravel it is so quiet that you can sneak up on wildlife, and on harsher tracks it keeps itself reasonably clean and tidy, unlike my previous 4x4 which came home looking like it had survived a tsunami after the mildest of tracks.
I was unwilling to write a review till I had given the Everest a fair work out. But, in my opinion its definitely a keeper!!

BoughtNew

5 days old and needed to be towed on day 4.

Took delivery on Thursday last week. Everything fine until Monday when it was like the car went into limp mode as I'm powering out of a T junction. The car stalled half way across the intersection and I had to pull onto the verge on the opposite side of the road as total power gone. If it was a busy intersection I would have been T boned for sure. Towed to the closest Ford dealer. Tried to tell me i might have used the wrong fuel. I have the diesel receipt when i fuelled up. They say they have to pull the whole fuel tank out to see if it's the fuel pump or a faulty connection and I'll probably lose a lot of my fuel?? 1400 kms and on a tow truck already. I'm still waiting and it's day 2 at the dealer. No hire car available for them to give me. Had to get an Uber home and had to drive my daughters car today. Is Ford for real?? It's a 2019 2lt 10 speed 4wd everest trend. What have I done? Can't really rate anything as yet because I just bought it!!

Purchased in July 2019.

Year2019

The perfect SUV, especially after my failing Landcruiser 200.

After being treated terribly along with many issues including engine and suspension issues on our 2017 Landcruiser 200 series, our Ford dealer and Everest Titanium (Sunset Red) was a sigh relief.
After now travelling around the majority of this great southern land, we are proud to be Ford!

Purchased in December 2018.

List of known problems

Ford acknowledged factor faults for 2015-2018 3.2L 6 speed auto models:

1. Head light motors fail (you will head a rattling brrrtttt sound from them on ignition on)
Solution: Take back to dealer they will replace no charge

2. AdBlue empty warning
Solution: Take back to dealer they will re calibrate Adblue sensor

3. 5-6th auto gear shift thump
Solution: Take back to dealer they will re calibrate the gear shift software

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other know faults reported online:
1. Rear bearings fault, you will hear a whirring noise from the rear wheel.
Solution: Take back to dealer, bearings need to be replaced

2. Rear differential damaged when performing a U-turn steering fully locked and floored (dont do this as the the slip diff does not do its job and you will bugger the diff). You will hear a thumping/undulating sound form the rear of the vehicle. Importantly you will see the drive train fault warning sensor come on and the vehicle may limit your ability to accelerate i.e wont change to higher gears.
Solution: Take back to dealer, need a new diff

3. Exhaust temp or EGR sensor on exhaust manifold fails, you will get the DFP (diesel particulate filter) filter warning on the dash lights.
Solution: Take back to dealer, EGR sensor needs to be replaced.

4.Auto cruise sensor blocked- this happens in torrential rain and if there is thick smoke, the grill mounted radar craps itself and turns off, no solution here other than to drive the car yourself.

5.Autobraking during autocruise is noisy. No solution this is normal as its a big heavy beast the car pulse pump the brakes essentially to stop them sticking to the disc, this is the most effective mans of braking.

Purchased in February 2018 at Ford Dealers for $74,000.00.

ford everest

same thing with my everest trend my17 but my doing it from 2nd to 3rd gear ford dealer replace leading frame and valve body got car buck stil problem is present told need to drive for 200 to 300 kms

Purchased in November 2016.

Year2016

Love it... and I'm a Holden Girl!

So we bought the Everest for my work car, and mainly did so due to the seats folding almost flat, and the biggest boot space of any of the ladder chassis on the market, or the others in the similar size ie Pathfinder and Outlander. This car is by far the best I've had as an overall picture. There have been a few tweaks required ie the stereo and my phone have a love hate relationship, and has had the stereo replaced 3 times. There is occasionally a time the navigation stops working too, but that seems to be rare lately and intermittent. We have the 2WD Trend (only model that 2WD is an option) and are thrilled with it. Have done 70Kkms in 2yr 3 months including towing our caravan from Cairns to Sydney and back again. It tows like a dream, and had our wiring done outside of Ford by an Auto Electrician who does local Jayco work, and it was $1k cheaper than the quoted Ford price. Wiring in these is apparently particularly fussy, so don't try it yourself if you don't know what you are doing. Added Suspension bags for a nicer drive while towing the 17ft Jayco, and pleased we did. We have a 6ft 4 15yr old son and he can get into the back row seating, although it is a circus show watching him concetina. The standard back row is fine with the passenger seat moved a little forward. All in all great room. I love the auto boot door and the many features that come with this model like the auto dimming rear vision mirror for example when driving at night. It's the little things that make it luxurious. The ride is a good one, although to be honest the demo car we tried was hard and bumpy in the front passenger yet ours isn't so I'm sure there is varience there. We have been lucky as I know there are other issues in reviews. Oh, occasionally it doesn't want the passenger to leave the car from the inside, so a quicik lock and unlock of the door tends to fix this. Very happy owners, and as a Holden Girl you've no idea how much that hurts to say! It should also be said that I had an incident on wet tropical roads with a fullen laiden vehicle where a car pulled out in front of me whilst I was travelling at 60kms/hr and I am still shocked that the car could stop in the time it did without sliding or hitting the guy. Ironically he was a Ranger running a stop sign. The Auto brakes were amazing, and the accident prevention system didn't even have time to cut in by sounding the alarms. It was busy doing all the stopping. It saved my life, and I'm still wondering how I survived!

Purchased in December 2016 for $60,000.00.

Year2016

Electronics and suspension issues

Car driven daily have had problems with the adaptive cruise control turning off "sensor blocked" since 1000km now 38000. Dealers have updated reset numerous times but won't replace. If you turn car off it resets. It might last 20 minutes into the journey or until you go to use it again on the next journey. Rear door has opened by itself after vehicle has been locked or will not close or open despite trying dash key or door controller. Dealers say if it doesn't happen when they have it nothing they can do. October 2018 vehicle checked by mechanic after hitting kangaroo, mechanic advised vehicle almost sitting on bump stops measurements and photos taken. Contacted Ford Melbourne who agreed to replace springs travel 200kms to dealer to have replaced, part way through dealer advises one set of springs sent is incorrect so will have to return another day when correct springs arrive. 200 kms home and another 400 km return trip with another day off work. Now Febuary 2019 4 months since the replacement and vehicle almost on the bump stops again. Another 400km round trip and day off work and 7 1/2 at the dealers before vehicle given back to be told its almost on the bump stops and we will contact Ford to see about warranty. Dealer says you have a lot of weight in the vehicle this doesnt help. Vehicle is approximately 300 kgs under gvm so unable to see this as an issue especially as we do not tow.

Purchased in May 2017.

Year2017

Plastic trim faulty

Bought my Everest trend new nearly a year ago and have found the black plastic trim around the bottom of the windscreen turning grey and weathered, back to the dealer to report as a warranty issue, no real help from them Ford hasn't flaged it as quality alert so they can't help me, I was told to raise the issue with Ford directly all good get claim number from them then get a call from a case manager, they told me that the dealer doesn't see it as a issue so neither did they. I think they know they have a problem but they are trying to ignore it to avoid a recall. They should tell you when you pick up your $50k plus car that. Oh by the way your black plastic trim we be grey in year. Lol

BadgeTrend RWD
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great vehicle for a huge range of uses!

Bought our new MY19 Trend. Decided to go with the 3.2 LT 5 cylinder as the torque rating was better than the 2.0lt 10 speed. Haven't had it long but loving the build and drive quality of the vehicle. Purchase included nudge bar, roof racks and tow bar. Great sound system and all the tech that you need. The only downside is a lack of storage space. Whilst the total volume of storage in the back is huge with the 3rd row seats folded down it would be handy to have a few small compartments to store recovery equipment in etc. Just love the vehicle though!

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Drive4WD

3.2 Titanium 2017 20k and solid drive till now!

We bought the demo 2017 last year when it had around 5k odo now it has now 18 k reading but we have absolutely no issues at all.
Have all the factory fittings no mods at all , have done bit of 4wd as well but no towing. We originally bought it as a family 7 seater , hoping to tow in future!

The car drives like a dream, with absolutely no problems till now!

Purchased in March 2018 at Ford Dealers for $60,000.00.

Comfort

Great car no faults no rattles. Car is perfect it replaced my 2014 prado the Everest is very refined

Great car no issues.
Heaps better than my 2014 prado a heap more refined. Car has no rattles or issues. Great to drive and tows a 2.7 tonne caravan easily. The high beam is not the best. My kids love the car is very comfortable and great off-road. Totally recommend this car done 15000km so far.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Drive4WD

Great vehicle so far 50k ,but now after 1 hour towing van unit goes into limp mode very concerning a

Car never been o/r 40k with van around aust twice, serviced regular and garaged .used regular. Its as it came out of showroom ,been a ford owner for 50 yrs and have multiple fords now . Have read numerous reports on failures but as car does not register fault code am left wondering

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Drive4WD

Multiple problems that don't seem to be fixed

I purchased a new Everest Titanium in January 18 and now done 16,000 K's. Since purchase the car has been into the dealers with issues no less than 8 times. Firstly in March the aircon required re gasing. Then the cruise module was playing up and soft wear updates did not fix so eventually replaced - And again still playing up with more software updates. In May the gear box seal was replaced and am told now 7 months later that it needs replacing again. ( I see from other reviews that this may be common).This is very poor from a vehicle of this value. Although the person I am dealing with at the dealership is trying his best the car is a lemon and further issues will be directed now at Ford Australia to see what the are going to do going forward.

BadgeTitanium 4WD
Date PurchasedJan 2018
Drive4WD

This car has been a lemon since day 1, Ford can not fix serious life threatening faults.

I have had Everest since new. Vehicle has broken down since just over 30000 km's, every time I tow a trailer (1000kg's ) vehicle goes into limp mode about 2 hours into journey. Vehicle won't go over 1500 rpm and stays in 3rd gear. Vehicle has been into ford a dozen times but they say there is nothing wrong. If I go to over take a truck and engine goes into reduced power mode I will be left out on wrong side of road and if vehicle are following we are all in serious trouble. Thank you Ford for selling me a lemon. I have to hire a vehicle to take my trailer out of town.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great cruizer. Engine roar. Poor build quality. Unreliable. Great for towing and holidays.

Bought vehicle new. Long term Ford customer as family involved ln Ford.
Great highway cruiser and good tow vehicle. High fuel consumption in city around 11l/100km.
Poor ride for rear seat passengers as bouncy on country road making kids sick.

Build quality poor. Panel fit not great. Many Everest have had same issues as Rangers.
Have had rear engine oil seal leak (very common) and possibly recurring.
Multiple glow plug failure which has no dash warning. Recognised as a fault by Ford and common.
Failure to recognise leads to tip breaking and head cylinder damage as attested by the poor Ranger owner at Bayfords the same day mine was in for repair.

Multiple battery failure due to Smart charge system.
Traction control/stability control failure not resolved fully yet.
Now have a loud tap sound in engine bay.Sounds like a bad injector.
Headlamp plastic failure in many models with internal cracking (mine) and fading. Recognised as a fault by Ford.

No dedicated transmission cooler only heat exchange unit leading to many caravanners going into limp mode in the outback.
Have installed custom springs in rear and aftermarket shocks to improve ride quality.
Noise insulation blanket with Mass loaded vinyl under bonnet reduces engine rumble.
Have always had Donaldson filter /water seperator to protect injection system.

Front passenger comfort is good.Rear passenger comfort is only average as seats do not fully recline for those long trips.Cabin noise is low apart from intruding engine roar.

3rd row strictly for kids or under 5 foot adults.
Safe vehicle and great off road .

Ford service has been ok over the years for me.
Pity Ford sources from the cheapest supplier without checking quality.
Maybe newer examples have had these issues rectified but I would not recommend.

BadgeAmbiente
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Nothing to criticize ,excellent vehicle.

Very comfortable and quiet. Excellent vehicle towing 2.5 tonne caravan. Fuel economy averaging 9l per100 suburban/country and 15/16 towing caravan.Great sat nav and many safety features.Adaptive cruise is excellent on
highway .Dash layout is good but miss full size tacho.Rainsensing wipers and auto dimming are very useful.Servicing costs fixed and very reasonable .

BadgeTrend
Date PurchasedMay 2017

. Ford Everest: 'thump' noise on 5-6 gearshift

I have been encountering a ‘thump’ noise when the automatic transmission shifts from fifth to sixth gear (the 5-6 shift) on my MY18 Everest Trend.
This occurs at speeds of 75-80 km/h.

I asked my Ford dealer to investigate at the recent 3k service but they said they could not find a problem.

The ‘thump’ noise seems to always happen between 75 and 80km/hr in auto mode.
I have since found an article that mentions Ford Australia has an updated transmission calibration
(software upgrade) which fixes this problem.

I have recently had a Ford dealer in Nth QLD look at the issue and they applied all outstanding software updates and checked over the transmission and said that they could not find an issue however the problem still remains.

I will take the Everest back to our Ford dealer's service department to once again try to resolve the issue when we return from holidays. I am concerned that Ford dealers have not been able to rectify this issue after 2 attempts and am fast losing confidence that this can be resolved.

Update: My local Ford dealer has replaced the transmission - the car is now running smoothly.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Drive4WD

Great Car but with Everest Ambiente penny pinching to have only one remote access flip key.

A great car but just a heads up on anyone buying an Everest Ambiente, be aware it only comes with ONE remote access key (Flip key) with the second key it is a normal key so if you want to lift the tail gate to put something in the back with the second key when it is raining you have to put your key in the Drivers door to open any other door. I found out after I signed and paid for it. As I said it is a great car but for a $50,000 plus car (4x4 model) in this day & age it is penny pinching to have to open doors with a conventional key. If I had known before I bought I would have negotiated a proper second key in the deal. We find the car comfortable to drive and it tows our caravan very well. Lots of room inside and though it is the base model there is plenty of technology re voice control for audio and climate control. It has security alarm (motion detector) if someone breaks in. As ours is new I wont post the fuel consumption because it only has 3,000 km on the clock but the way it is going I expect good fuel consumption when it is run in. As diesel is a lubricant they take a little longer than petrol to run in but if you can afford a diesel then that is the way to go because better economy in the long run.

BadgeAmbiente
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Best 4wd/suv from Ford

I would say good 4wd/suv built by ford,sturdy body,spacious interior(not enough head room for tall peoples),engine noise is high compared with rival products,good ground clearance that enable you to take car anywhere without any concern of scraping underbody,park assist/self parking and panoramic moonroof are awesome,20” alloy wheels gives a sporty look.Much more features needs to be mentioned.
Ford needs to add more features and improve build quality since Everest mainly rivals with Toyota Prado.They need to add features such as driver seat memory and push button start(many manufacturers provides both features on entry levels),electrical operated lumber(now it is manually operated),crash avoidance with braking in both high speed and low speed(now it is only alert/warning-forward collision)
Overall above average 4wd for a competitive price.

BadgeTitanium
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Had same problem with adblue

Ad blue troubles and ford had lots of trouble fixing it . I'm talking two weeks or more for us without car. Mechanics had lot of trouble even diagnose the problem. Dealer did not seem to care or be in a hurry to get problem Car itself seems to be good until something goes wrong. Service terrible

BadgeTrend