Ford Territory

Excellent choice

Purchased our RWD diesel Territory in May 2017 and have travelled 35,000K's without mishap. My wife and I recently returned from Darwin and Cooktown to Brisbane towing a 2250kg van and very comfortable for my 194cm frame. Over the 15,000K's of bitumen and dirt roads the car consistently returned between 13.5 - 15.5L/100 which was a huge improvement over previous Falcons. Without caravan the car easily gets well under 8L/100 on the highway which is pretty good for a car this size.

Only issue so far has been the replacement of rear suspension bushes at 30,000K service which was covered under warranty. The sat nav has dropped out a couple of times which comes back on after restarting car which is annoying. Overall very happy.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
DriveRWD

Great idea but poorly executed and built

We bought this car new for the 7 seats and large size as we had 3 teenage kids. Went well for a few years then bits started needing replacing like diff bushes, front swaybar link pins, rear rose bush and tyres only lasting 20,000 kms if we were lucky. The paint on the door handles is chipping off and rust is evident around the rear door weld seams. It rattles mercilessly as we drive down the road from both the inside seats and from the suspension despite having replaced rear shocks, front linkpins 4 times and rear blade bushes. Been told thats very common as as the factory bushes were poor quality, no kidding. Just recently serviced the transmission and was full of metal so had to replace it. Wanted a Toyota Kluger when originally bought this bucket of bolts but couldn't afford it so now regretting that. Will never buy another Ford, was my first and will be my last. Had a few Toyota 4wds of late and can't fault them, 200000kms or more on them and quiet with no rattles and mostly original bushes etc. Take a hint Ford, use quality parts in your vehicles.

BadgeTS Limited Edition
Date PurchasedJun 2011

SUV with car like comfort

Recently purchased a 2010 Ford Territory to replace my beloved 2003 Falcon XR6, my and my mother in laws age got the better of us and I was having trouble getting into it so needed something higher. Was hard to find an SUV with the same comforts that I was used to, comfortable seats, quiet, soft suspension and enough power to get out of trouble. Basically an SUV version of the XR6 it's a beautiful vehicle to drive and there is little to no difference between the two drives. Highly recommended.

Sy series 2 . Had it for 5 years now. Great car

I have 4 kids . Tow a 18’ caravan. Load this baby up with no problems. Been a great reliable vehical (AWD petrol) 6 speed auto. The 4.0 l motor is so smooth and very powerful. I could if i wanted to jump in the car and drive around Australia tomorrow without hesitation.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Terrible GPS system

When are ford going to supply a decent GPS in their cars.
Hopeless to use and not user friendly description in one word CRAP.
Nothing but a confusing hard to operate GPS unit Ford are supposed to update it on service intervals but doubt if technicians would be able to operate it.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Ford transmissions are crap

I have owned 6 different fords my 1was a v8 gs cc ute that had 5 transmissions replaced .every ford I have owned has needed tranny replaced .holden got it right back in the 70 s .i finally put oil cooler in front of radiator and ran tranny fluid through it never had another problem.my Mrs just bought 2010 sy mk2 awd hope this German box better but still no oil cooler just heat exchanger

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great people mover, reliable and good on fuel

We bought our territory diesel ts rwd new in 2015. It has been a great car, currently has 56k on the clock and Hasn’t really skipped a beat.. gets about 9.1 litres per hundred combined and does what it says on the box.. lots of cup holders and compartments.. great for touring

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Great car

Had a massive Patrol with all the fruit, but it was a bit cumbersome as a daily driver, so needed a replacement of good size (we have 3 dogs and I'm 1.95m tall and wife not a shorty either!). Did my research and bingo! Thank you ProductReview! Great driver with heaps of comfort and room. Well done Ford!
Have only had it 4+mths and it was in very good condition with only 80k klm on the clock and full service history. Everything works well (to date) and have put about 8k klm on it since we bought it. Haven't done any major long-hauls yet, but in pretty heavy traffic (Canberra roadworks mean a once 20min trip now takes 45!) it's still averaging around 9.2-9.8l/100klm, which is fantastic. The Patrol was up around 16 in similar conditions, and the 2.4l Outlander I had before the Patrol was around 12. My previous vehicle to the Outlander was a 6-cyl BMW X5 petrol and was up around the 18 mark for similar conditions. Cannot complain. Mine is not the Titanium model, but it's still equipped well enough for us and it's a very smooth and quiet car, that handles every bit as well as my X5 did. It's the RWD version and yes, the turbo-lag is evident on take off, but the thing can really lift its skirts should you desire. 6sp auto is silky smooth and flicking the shifter to the left and leaving in PERF mode (with optional up and down shifting, if desired) makes the performance more than adequate! My Dad has a Mazda 6 TD wagon, and this thing is much roomier and performs effortlessly, plus would have to be one of the quietest diesels around. Very happy with it so far.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Awful car

Ok so i bought a second hand ford territory he eventually got the name terry the terrible territory!!
Anyway second hand from a dealer 3 days after buying one of the gaskets broke itself which sent my car into limp mode while driving no brakes no steering completely locked thank the handbrake worked!
So this was the start luckily dad is a mechanic he told me not to buy one but i liked the idea of the whole soccer mum thing which is funny because it didnt make it long enough for my kids to play soccer. Ok so constant bushes, ball joints tyres wearing out from the inside probably every 6 -8 months new tyres.
Ohh and the finish of it for me was driving out of my driveway when the whole lower control arm snapped so glad i wasnt on the highway with my kids in the car! Please dont buy one look around heaps with back panel missing it literally crumbles and always a brake light out owed $3,000 got $1,500 it was so bad i lost money because it was a piece of crap!

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

it's great! way bigger than my last car

I use my car all the time dropping kids at school, work all familly transport mainly. I use this car more than the other two decently more! I found this car way bigger and more practical. I love love love love love love love love love love love love my new car!

Love this Territory

2011 SZ Territory titanium diesel. Wow can’t believe the quietness and smoothness of this Vehicle, purchased it to tow our caravan and have just completed a 3000k trip to Qld and back. Averaged 13.1lt per 100klm, the trip towing 2.5 tonne van. Towed it with ease and very comfortable and quiet motoring. The seating is excellent and after doing around 550klm a day got out of car with no aches or pains. It has a 2.7 ltr V6 Diesel coupled to a 6 speed auto. Ford recommend you slip it over to the manual mode in hilly conditions, and I found this easy to use. On the flat I let the transmission choose just sat on 96-97klm hr with cruise control on. It is a shame Ford no longer make these suvs. Love it.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

It's a great car but...

We purchased our Ford Territory from Ford at 8 months. No major problems for first five years, then the air conditioning went - $2000 to fix, then the fuel pump went and we had to stay in a country town overnight while the Ford dealer got a new one - that was $1200. Now the air conditioning has gone again and Ford say it's a different part and it will be $1300 more. They are also telling us that a number of other things need replacing too. This car has been treated carefully, well cared for and only serviced by Ford during all of that time. Is it too much to ask for a car to last more than 90000km or 5 years of age without these major expenses?
Apart from those problems it's a great car for a family, drives well, is economical to run and it's never broken down because it gave plenty of warning that something was wrong, including when the fuel pump failed.

Date PurchasedOct 2012

We should still be making them!

Having owned a 2004 Territory from new it was time to update. Trying a diesel this time, good economy, good performance, tons of space and still the best SUV handling/ride.
It is a tragedy that our government did not continue helping our car industry when we showed the world what a great vehicle we could produce.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Great 7 seater

Great on fuel- a big tank to fill but lasts a long time. Mine is a diesel. very spacious inside and had 7 seats. Can stand inside and put all the belts on. Fits 5 car seats easily and i use for my FDC business. Seats are very comfy too

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Ticked All the Boxes

Needed to replace my ageing petrol Captiva that struggled to comfortably tow my 1800kg van.So the research criteria was;*Diesel with ample power & good economy *Towing capacity of at least 2500kg and 250kg on the ball *Comfortable around town and on tour *Enough bells & whistles & good looks to please *Reliable & widely available dealer/parts network *Under 60k Klms & $35k 2nd hand. Couldn't be happier with the choice of a 2014 Diesel Titanium ... European 2.7L diesel, American Auto but good old Australian design, engineering,body and assembly. Tows max 2700kg with 270kg on the ball, loads of power,tows quitely & beautifully at around 12L/100klm, looks great and has near limousine comfort.These vehicles meet the requirements of a growing market segment, what a shame they don't make them anymore.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

RADIO SCREEN BLACK

BATTERY WENT FLAT. 2013 DIESEL AUTO. WHEN CONNECTING NEW BATTERY THE RADIO SCREEN IS BLACK. ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW RE RECONNECT THE DETAILS ON THE MAIN SCREEN WOULD BE APPRECIATED. TRANMISSION FAULT CAME UP ON THE SCREEN MOMENTARILY BUT DISAPPEARED, NOW CORRECTED ITSELF. JUST LOOKING FOR HELP WITH MAIN SCREEN PLEASE

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Dumping ground for car yards

This is the 2nd vehicle I have purchased off Grays and both have had to have extreme amounts spent to get them roadworthy.
I purchased a 2007 Ford Territory with 180.000 kmh on the clock. In the vehicle description it did not make any mention of mechanical faults whatsoever. I bidded on the car and won it for $2500 to which I thought was a reasonable price. On picking the car up the staff were really helpful and got me going with the purchase without a hitch.
When I drove the car out of Graysonline in Adelaide I immediately could sense the gearbox not changing gears properly and shuddering. Further down the road every bump i hit it sounded like the suspension was going to fall out.

I drove the car straight to my mechanics who told me that I needed a changeover gearbox, ball joints, rear bushes in the differential / swaybar & oil pressure switch just to name a few. The car is now going to cost me another $2000 minimum to repair before it can see the road again.

This purchase was for my son as his car just blew the engine so my wife and I thought we would pick up another cheap car for him, we were so wrong and wont be buying cars from Grays again. Other purchases for wine ect have been good, just not cars.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Hot and Cold

The hot parts:- Solidly built vehicle and drives really well. The diesel is very quiet and has plenty of power. Loads of room for the interior and the rear seats fold flat so overnight camping in the back is comfortable. We do like our Territory diesel although there appears to be so common faults that other owners have also experienced.
The cold parts:- the in tank fuel pump failure seems to be an common issue, our 2013 model failed at 78,000kms and Ford Australia took over 5 weeks to get a replacement, lucky our local dealership gave us a loan car, extremely poor customer support from Ford Australia. Another common fault appears to be the driver's side area, front and rear, leak and the carpet is wet after rain. I have twice taken it to be repaired but no avail, I have now fitted an additional seal along the door trim to try and stop the flow of water into the cabin {seems to be working}. Depending on the day of the week or weather the cruise control works intermittently. The steering wheel audio controls can also have a mind of their own, fine one day but completely out of whack the next day. The 'P' light is constantly lit as mentioned by Jo Jo in her review and every so often sounds to engage Park even though the vehicle is in park.
All in all it is a lovely car to drive and it has a feeling of solidness, it tows our small van effortlessly, shame about the annoying faults and poor service now Ford has shut up shop in Australia.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A great car.

Quietest diesel vehicle I have ridden in or driven. Tows our caravan very well. We reluctantly traded in our Ssangyong Korando for the Territory to tow our new heavier caravan but we are very happy with the smooth drive that the 2.7 litre V6 turbo diesel engine gives us. The quiet ride is as good or better than many petrol cars. So far we are very happy. Jarvis Cars have been very good fixing a couple of minor scratches and dents at our home with no cost to us.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

I love my car!

We recently purchased our Territory when we had a baby and realised our sedan wasn’t enough room.
I was blown away by the amazing driving experience, features and overall performance of the vehicle.
The interior is so roomy, and the boot space is especially great for storing my pram and shopping, with plenty of room left to change my baby if need be.
The running costs are low, a full tank lasts around 2 weeks for a busy family due to it being on diesel.
Overall a highly reliable and great value car that I’d highly recommend

Date PurchasedDec 2017