Gem Visa

Gem Visa
CategoryLow Rate & Zero Interest Credit Cards
Card TypeVisa
Minimum Repayments3%
Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate3% p.a.
Release dateJul 2013

Great until I got an unexpected text

I checked my online account to see no statement generated, after purchasing white goods 2 weeks ago, my first purchase. Got a text today saying I was over due on my bill. Thanks for the emailing of the statement - not. I’ve paid it of course but give me some time thanks. I would expect more time and at least my statement emailed so I had a clue.

It's so easy.

I used my Gem Visa card at the Good Guys and got 60 months interest free on my new fridge. I was able to include my delivery costs and Prestige warranty on the card as well and I added a slow cooker while I was there. It was very quick and super easy to do. I'm grateful to have so much time to pay it off interest free as this keeps my repayments quite low. Thanks.

Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Such a versatile, good value & fair credit card.

The only credit card I have and the customer call centre is always friendly and very knowledgeable. The interest free terms are fantastic! Used properly, this card is the best form of credit.

Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Special Purchases

Gem Visa Review

I love using my Gem Visa. It is so simple to use and the online management of your card/details/payments is super easy. I highly recommend getting a Gem Visa. Thanks

Makes it possible!

Thankyou. I was able to purchase a beautiful lounge and pay it off so easily. Ive also used the visa in emergencies. I will use Gem visa again with no hesitation.

Main Point of ContactOnline

6 month interest free payment offer is great

I love GemVisa! The interest free payment option for purchases $250 and above above is handy. It’s great to have that extra time for you to pay off your purchases. Having said this, I only buy stuff that I can afford and I can pay straight away. I love that I can leave my money sitting in my savings accounts and still able to pay off my purchases without having to worry about paying any interest. If there’s one thing, I would love if they can lower their annual fee for loyal customers or and perhaps offer longer interest free periods for big ticket or more expensive purchases.

Card Start DateFebruary 2008

Used wisely is all good

I have had my GEM Visa card Since 2012. It has been a good financial tool for me as I've ensured I use it wisely to benefit from the 6 months interest free on anything $250 and over feature and a fairly good online experience. I've paid nearly no interest on the thousands of dollars of bill paying and purchases I've used it for.
Saying that, it can easily be just another credit product to get you into trouble if not used the right way.

The interest rate is up there at 22 odd percent (which now no longer get's charged retrospectively) if you go over the 6 month free interest period!

You'll be charged 95 cents for making a repayment directly from another bank and once you set up your online account with GEM Visa and enter you other bank details, you'll be restricted to one repayment transaction per month. I've told them how ludicrous that is, to no avail!
And if you get a refund from a retailer for a purchase made on the card, the refund won't automatically go back on that purchase balance if it's over the $250 value. However, you can choose which transaction/ purchase balance your repayments go towards.

There's also the $99 annual fee, which is average pricing for these kind of products and be prepared for frustration of trying to contact a person who properly understands the Australian English version. Although the people are normally very helpful and polite otherwise.
They're run by Latitude who cover several other financial products whose parent company appears to be G E Money. I have previously written a review on these guys as toeknee, but must disclose that I'm writing this in addition due to them asking me to via email, as an account holder. Although I've been offered no reward or gift for doing so. They ask for it, so here it is.

Card Start DateJanuary 2012
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

A very handy overseas travel card

Brilliant
No hidden charges or fees and six months interest free for purchases over $250
Cash advances and was pleasantly surprised at the low interest figure shown on the statement
One criticism though I had to ring to request a statement as the original document never arrived

Card Start DateApril 2019
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Excellent!

Gem is great for interest free purchases !!! I always use it for expenses over 250, you get interest free terms regardless of where you shop. The more you spend, the longer the interest free term! Great for when travelling overseas. Longtime Gem Holder =)

Main Point of ContactOnline

Worst finance company

From the first day my experience has been one of one to remember to never have to use Gem ever again. They make it difficult to make payments through their site and prey on people trying to do the right thing.

Card Start DateDecember 2018
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Great tool for managing budget - transaction fee per payment a bit off though

Have used my GEM card for more than 5 years. I use it for all the larger purchases where I'd like to take advantage of the interest feed period - whether it is for 6 months or 50 months.

Representatives Unhelpful

I've had this card for over 8 years. It's a wonderful resource when it comes to purchasing items that may be on the higher value scale. I dread calling the call centre as I find the response I've received is more often than unhelpful. Last year I lowered my credit limit online with great ease. I've since tried raising it online (which was unsuccessful, suggesting contact to the call centre) and as a result I called to be told try again in a couple of months. I asked when and how are accounts reviewed in order to adjust credit limits and was told "they're reviewed". Not answering my question at all. I found the representative to be quite short and rude in the manner in which she responded. Not great customer service and to be honest I got off the phone feeling as though they did not have the knowledge which I would expect them to have.

Card Start DateNovember 2011
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

I love my card, 6 months interest free only way I shop, I recommend to all my friends

Never been overseas, I’m sure it would be great for people who do especially being 6 months interest free, knowing you can start to pay when you return, how awesome

Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Love the interest free period for purchases over $250.

I have used my card overseas with no issues at all. Was able to use it in ATM's, eftpos etc. I always call customer care to say where I'm going so I have no issues.

Card Start DateAugust 2017
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Perfect for emergency purchases and so easy to organise. Love it!

Not applicable to me but think it would be very handy to have. The interest free period is really helpful so you can pay off your item without worrying about ongoing interest rates.

Best card so far due to 6 months interest free period

Great experience overseas as well. I can do 6 months interest free shopping anywhere in the world which allow me to do hassle free shopping. I can spent more with

Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Very handy for larger purchases

Used only in Australia so far. Major purchases with interest free periods. Very useful for unexpected things that occur usually at inconvenient times. We appreciate the financial freedom that the card allows us to use.

Very handy and great to have 0% over $250

I love this card because you dont need to ask about 0% interest as you get it automatically on purchases over $250. I've used it loads of times just because of it.

Card Start DateMay 2015

Seamless

The process to use the card was seamless. The use of the card was very easy. The transaction details and interest free was accurate as expected. No other comments to add.

Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Very good for things that happen when no expected. Good for getting big item things when required.

Happen used it overseas. I would use it is I went overseas. Good to not have to carry large sums of money on you. Every body should use it instead of carrying money.

Card Start DateOctober 2014